What's a tech term you hate?

da na

"X" is the symbol for multiplication and is commonly said "times" when read out in arithmetic.

When we see an arithmetic expression 2x4=8 we read "two times four equal 8.

Mind you, in algebra we say "ex" when X is a variable. However, the X, in the case of computer tech terminology, is a multiplier not a variable.

Fun!

1 minute ago, Rex Hite said:

"X" is the symbol for multiplication and is commonly said "times" when read out in arithmetic.

When we see an arithmetic expression 2x4=8 we read "two times four equal 8.

Mind you, in algebra we say "ex" when X is a variable. However, the X, in the case of computer tech terminology, is a multiplier not a variable.

Fun!

Unless it’s a name or something else even.  It’s become an annoyingly vague term.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

"solution"- when "product" would do.

"The TLRi-4BXt solution slots into the SKU stack at the mid-tier showing a 3 ex uplift with a design language that emphasizes a sleek UX integrated within an innovative form factor while retaining a best-in-industry front loaded feature set maintaining core utility and optimization while deprecating skeuomorphic interactive elements blahbitty blah blah..."

4 hours ago, Rex Hite said:

"SKU"- just say "model", or "product", or anything other than "SKU" Unless you're managing an inventory system it's dumb jargon.

"Form Factor"- Just say "shape", or "size" or "proportions" 

"Design language"- just say... nothing.  It's asinine.

George Carlin was right!

People had to start saying SKU when manufacturers have so many versions of the same model, but yes, i agree it's a little overused.  On the other hand, it seems that most big stores are training their employees to recognize SKU numbers for proper inventory and shelving.  

Form factor usually relates to a compatible or standardized series of products.  Ex: atx, matx, itx.  

1 hour ago, Heliian said:

Form factor usually relates to a compatible or standardized series of products.  Ex: atx, matx, itx.  

Yeah, since there are no actual hard and fast size definitions for a lot of the stuff the term "form factor" gets applied to (insert GN Steve rant about E-ATX here)... it doesn't necessarily always make sense to simply say "size." 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

There may be logical reasons for any over used term, they had to start somewhere after all, but mostly it's just a syllable count or jargon for jargon's sake.

14 hours ago, Rex Hite said:

"solution"- when "product" would do.

"The TLRi-4BXt solution slots into the SKU stack at the mid-tier showing a 3 ex uplift with a design language that emphasizes a sleek UX integrated within an innovative form factor while retaining a best-in-industry front loaded feature set maintaining core utility and optimization while deprecating skeuomorphic interactive elements blahbitty blah blah..."

That’s Business sales BS in general.  Applies to more than just tech.  Almost every product is a “solution”.  Not that you’re wrong.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

II think it would be fun for the writers at LMG to have a contest to see who can load a piece with as much cliche, jargon, tech-speak and pretentious drivel while still accurately and logically describing something. They can be judged on number of words, syllable count and a cringe factor.

Just now, Rex Hite said:

II think it would be fun for the writers at LMG to have a contest to see who can load a piece with as much cliche, jargon, tech-speak and pretentious drivel while still accurately and logically describing something. They can be judged on number of words, syllable count and a cringe factor.

The “out” test.  Used to do those in illustration.

TDP - 

Not sure offhand, but generally any term or acronym that has multiple meanings.

Same with math, I dislike when math symbols that have multiple meanings, just causes confusion when you need to be precise.

2 hours ago, RickSanchez69 said:

when someone calls a laptop a tablet

Never seen that one before.  I could see it being a derisive term for a laptop.  People who aren’t boys don’t get called “boy” much anymore. I’ve watched Asian films where people demand this “you will call me elder brother” thing which I sort of equate with that.  There’s likely nuances to it that just don’t translate culturally.  There are new laptops with less horsepower than new tablets.

When Oldsters in the 90s called the entire PC case the "hard drive". And they called any wide format printer a "plotter"

They had their reasons but it was sometimes confusing in my shop when they did that.

"use case" when "use' would suffice.

"Tjmax" - it's a correct expression but it sounds like a department store.

"Thermals"- it's fine I suppose but that word is out of hand.

Going with a phrase here “No Man’s Sky is good now!”

“better” is not the same as “good”.  It’s still more buggy than a Bethesda game at launch.  What has apparently improved is there are bug fixing mods.  Writing your own fix might actually be less hassle filled than attempting to make a bug report.  I tried that once.  I sunk two hours into looking for how to do it and still failed.  I vaguely recall there being some sort of catch 22 problem. 

On 5/9/2021 at 9:43 PM, Bombastinator said:

So the issue is whether “k” refers specifically to screen size vs. what the gpu has to drive.  My understanding was the latter, so a 2160p display at 30hz would be 2 or 2.5k (don’t want to do the math) rather than 4k. Whereas a 1440p display @120hz would be 4k. A 1080p display @120hz would be 2k as well with 144hz being between 2k and 2.5k

Nope. 4k originally meant that picture has 4000 horizontal pixels ("cinematic/DCI 4k", 4096x2160). The ratio was later changed to 3840x2160 to keep the 16x9 ration of normal PCs, but kept "4k UHD" name for marketing reasons.

Per wiki definition, "4K resolution refers to a horizontal display resolution of approximately 4,000 pixels."

4k30Hz isn't 2k in the same way 1080p240Hz isn't 4k.

On 5/9/2021 at 5:49 PM, creeperkiller8 said:

"2K displays" who even thought to call them that? are you that lazy that you can't even type out 1440p?

It's even worse. Since 3840 horizontal pixels is called 4k, then 2k should be half of it - 1920 horizontal, so 1080p is technically 2k.

I hate when people missue the term wifi and think its needed to connect to the internet and that its so simple. There is a lot of work that people don't see to set up a good, fast, secure network. Also why is Ethernet being ruled out- its faster, much better for NASs, more secure (if one doesn't have access to the wires), and just really really satisfying to plug in.

9 minutes ago, Cvet76 said:

The one that grinds my gears every time is "killer" as in "True iPhone/Samsung killer?!?!?!"

Every single year a new bang or buck phone from some alternative phone brand (xiaomi, or whichever)  comes out, there's a flood of videos and articles from reviewers attempting to click-bait. I HATE this with a passion and don't watch the videos with such titles out of principle.

That one came from “killer app” which was actually a real phenomena.  The problem is it’s also a “cool” word so the marketing  people have run with it and twisted it all sorts of directions.  It’s become a BS word.  Marketing companies have a history of pooping in the pool.  

"Creator"

It just sounds too godly.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

"Code warrior"- stop that. You're not a warrior. There are no orcs. You're typing. Deal with it.

"rocking"- stop that. You're not onstage shredding like Satriani. You just have a tech item. There will be no groupies backstage.

"daily driver"- Stop that. you just use something regularly. Cringe.

"PCI-X" (eXtended) and "PCI-e" (eXpress) An actual peeve for me. When written down the specifications are distinct but when spoken they can get confused. Less of an issue now.  It's that fucking X again. That letter needs to be banned like asbestos.

2 hours ago, Rex Hite said:

"Code warrior"- stop that. You're not a warrior. There are no orcs. You're typing. Deal with it.

"rocking"- stop that. You're not onstage shredding like Satriani. You just have a tech item. There will be no groupies backstage.

"daily driver"- Stop that. you just use something regularly. Cringe.

There’s an antique phrase.  That whole thing was trying to make a pun on “cold warrior” a very 80’s term. (Yes parachute pants were more period, but little passes hammer pants for pure garish cringe)  If someone is still using that I would unsderstand a sentance of forcing them to having their hair frosted and being force to wear hammer pants for a week.  Maybe even a Fanny pack in front too…. Would A Sanyo mbc555 be cruel and unusual? Probably.  4.0mhz.  Not ghz, MHz

Edited by Bombastinator

The "Pro" in things, that adds nearly any features at all and cost 100+$ more

Current Rig:

Mobo - MSI B450 Pro-Max VDH | CPU - Ryzen 5 3600 (AMD duh) | GPU - GTX 1660 Super (MSI) | WAM - 2 x 8GB 3200MHz (G.SKILLS Ripjaws)Storage - 1 x 256GB SSD (Crucial MX500) + 1 x 2TB | HDD 7200RPM (Seagate Barracuda) | PSU - Cooler Master 450W | Case - Cooler Master Q300L | Display - Asus VP248QG (Main) + AOC 24B1W1 | Other Stuff - Bloody B120 (Keyboard) + HP X220 Gaming Mouse + Asus A541UJ (Laptop)