What's a tech term you hate?

da na
On 5/8/2021 at 12:40 PM, LogicalDrm said:

PS. Futureproofing and being outdated is imo not same thing. Everything is outdated once you take it out of the box. Futureproofing, or how I understand it, is to leave yourself options when upgrading. Probably the term itself is too overused, or misunderstood, like bottlenecking. Maybe I should too be using "upgradatibility" instead.

I don't understand this bit. Futureproof and outdated are completely different words with different meanings and in some ways are opposites of each other, how would they be the same? I also do not understand logic of everything being outdated after taking out of the box. Is an RTX 3090 outdated after taking them out of the box? I also don't think futureproofing is leaving options when upgrading, but rather a crappy excuse used by people spending thousands on hardware they do not need with logic of "I rather spend extra now and wont need an upgrade in 20 years", which everyone with common sense would realise is dumb.

6 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

I don't understand this bit. Futureproof and outdated are completely different words with different meanings and in some ways are opposites of each other, how would they be the same? I also do not understand logic of everything being outdated after taking out of the box. Is an RTX 3090 outdated after taking them out of the box? I also don't think futureproofing is leaving options when upgrading, but rather a crappy excuse used by people spending thousands on hardware they do not need with logic of "I rather spend extra now and wont need an upgrade in 20 years", which everyone with common sense would realise is dumb.

You make conflicting arguments.
Buying something like 3090 IS spending thousands on hardware you don't need at the moment you buy it. You get it in order to use, or rather hope to use, it longer before buying new card. 

Did I need i7 when I bought it? Not really. But I haven't had to upgrade in 8 years because it still serves its purpose. And I could buy used to get that 13% of more performance with next gen i7.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, The_russian said:

What would you consider a motherboard? For me the “main” board that houses the CPU, memory, and other critical components in a desktop computer or server is a motherboard, while in laptops, phones, and basically all other devices it’s a logic board.
Also as FakeKGB pointed out Apple calls the boards in their devices logic boards, so that is technically the correct term for those devices.

No, Logic Board is just Apple verbiage of saying Motherboard which is wrong.

Some other things that Apple have slapped their Fancy name on and called it revolutionary:-

Super Retina XDR OLED

Liquid Retina

TouchID

FaceID

And many more that I am too lazy to put here.

On 5/11/2021 at 12:29 AM, Tonyx said:

Without a bottleneck we didnt drink from bottle but from buckets

"What's my bucketneck on this system?"

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

You make conflicting arguments.
Buying something like 3090 IS spending thousands on hardware you don't need at the moment you buy it. You get it in order to use, or rather hope to use, it longer before buying new card. 

Did I need i7 when I bought it? Not really. But I haven't had to upgrade in 8 years because it still serves its purpose. And I could buy used to get that 13% of more performance with next gen i7.

They're not conflicting at all. I am now completely confused over what you are talking about.

2 hours ago, WickedThunder86 said:

No, Logic Board is just Apple verbiage of saying Motherboard which is wrong.

Some other things that Apple have slapped their Fancy name on and called it revolutionary:-

Super Retina XDR OLED

Liquid Retina

TouchID

FaceID

And many more that I am too lazy to put here.

The way I am given to understand it, A motherboard is a kind of logic board.  It’s not an Apple specific term.  Logic boards existed before Apple did. Saturn 5s had logic boards though not all the logic they used was on boards.  Specifically a kind of logic board designed to have other logic boards attachable to it called daughtercards.  A video card for example is a daughter card.  For a while intel had a system where the cpu was on a daughter card too.  Limited cooling amongst other issues. Memory dimms would also be daughtercards though (because dimms have logic on them now) so laptops can have motherboards with daughter cards, or not.  Phones rarely have daughtercards unless one considers the sim to be a daughter card.  I don’t really, as they don’t actually contribute very much. though a better argument could be made for an SD card I think simply because there’s more too them. They might not have logic though so it’s at best an iffy distinction.  If a computer designed by Apple has dimm slots (which they only sometimes do) Apple could still call the thing a logic board but it could also be called a motherboard

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

47 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

He's going to give you the wrong impression of wushu with his dance art, and his drop out exaggerated kung fu cat student.

I assume anything in a movie is a specific martial art not dissimilar from European stage combat.  It’s the thing JackinChan actually does which he learned as a child (theses a fairly cool movie on how harsh it was) at the Chinese opera. So if it looks like a different martial art it’s only because they are simulating it.  How else could there be mantis style Kung fu on TV.  Most of the moves in mantis are lethal.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

They're not conflicting at all. I am now completely confused over what you are talking about.

Then you did not read the thread. I'm referencing discussion earlier about "futureproofing" being impossible because everything "new" now will be "outdated" once the "future" date comes.

Anything new will not be new once its out of the box. And it becomes outdated once newer version of same hardware becomes available. And making 3090 as your example while saying "futureproofing is excuse for thousands of dollars spent" is very poor choice.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, Jackie Chan knows a more combative style.  The actual best of them all was Jet Li if you look up his history.  He knows meditation/combat/weapon combat/dance styles, and is a multiple wushu national and world champion.  He defeated highly skilled adults before he was a teenager in these competitions, and was put on China's olympic team in his later teens, iirc.  Wing Chun is a dance style, and Bruce's history is highly exaggerated by him, his family other than Brandon who kept calling him out, and his fans plus friends.  To be fair, while Bruce is mostly a fraud as a martial artist, he did something historically important.   At the time, Asian filmography wasn't popular among other races.  He brought respect to his race and country when it came to the arts.   So, yes while he's mostly a martial arts fraud, what he did for his people is still highly important.   However, I do have to agree with Jet Li on something.  It really doesn't matter who is the best as that's not the point of wushu.  The point of wushu is inner harmony.

On a side note, in Naruto, the Hyuga clan's style is actually homage to one of Jet Li's styles.  His main is tumbling fist, but they're using eight trigram palm style, also popularized by Jet Li.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baguazhang There are a few martial arts actors I would not want to piss off.  Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan, Michael Jai White, and JCVD.   Those guys aren't frauds.  https://goodyfeed.com/real-life-donnie-yen-sent-8-men-hospital-coz-disturbed-gf/ I know some tiger and crane, but like I ain't taking Donnie in a fight.

Wing Chung may be one now.  It I was once told it was originally a combat style designed for women which is why the kicks are so low.  I don’t know if it was because of the clothing of the period or if it was simply considered unseemly for women to be kicking too high. Invented by Buddhist nuns or some such.

my understanding is the stage fencing martial art (I wish I could remember the name) requires the martial art being simulated to be known so anyone doing it has to know the actual martial art as well. 

@Bombastinator @valdyrgramr Stay on topic please. If you want to discuss martial arts create a new thread for it or send each other a PM.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

21 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Then you did not read the thread. I'm referencing discussion earlier about "futureproofing" being impossible because everything "new" now will be "outdated" once the "future" date comes.

Anything new will not be new once its out of the box. And it becomes outdated once newer version of same hardware becomes available. And making 3090 as your example while saying "futureproofing is excuse for thousands of dollars spent" is very poor choice.

I was basing my reply on what you had written in your original post. Being out of the original box or not doesn't affect something becoming outdated. A GT 730 in an original box is still outdated. Also the RTX 3090 being outdated point was a counter argument to your original statement of something becomes outdated once it is out of the packaging, it has no relation to the next point of "futureproofing", which is entirely different topic. Think you must've misread or misunderstood something.

I hate RMA the way it's used now. RMA means "Return Merchandise Authorisation". It means the manufacturer has authorised you to return the product to them. It is not a verb, or a replacement for the word "return".

Therefore:

"I want to RMA my widget", meaning "My widget is faulty and I'm going to contact the manufacturer so I can return it" is wrong and annoying. Just say you want to "return" it instead.

"I have an RMA for my widget", meaning "The manufacturer has told me I can return my widget", is fine.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Calling a USB cable a cord.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

On 5/8/2021 at 4:34 AM, Arika S said:

Bottleneck....because it's the most misused term i see on this forum because people hear the word and a very basic description of it and then immediately feel like they need to make a post here freaking out that their PC is somehow not performing right despite them not having any issues prior to them hearing the word

Is it far-fetched to say i will bottleneck my 3080ti with a 3600 non-x processor with 3600mhz 2x8gb kit? (CL18.. CL16 some 290$ more oof)

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

16 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Calling a USB cable a cord.

Because it’s not a power cord?

11 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Is it far-fetched to say i will bottleneck my 3080ti with a 3600 non-x processor with 3600mhz 2x8gb kit? (CL18.. CL16 some 290$ more oof)

Maybe if you play anno. You can bottleneck any system with the right workload.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Maybe if you play anno. You can bottleneck any system with the right workload.

Went for the GPU before anything else.. Wrong choice when my PSU didnt take it well.

Now stuck to a 1060.. Not sure thats bottlenecking the 3600 but its a good temporary gpu.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

1 minute ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Went for the GPU before anything else.. Wrong choice when my PSU didnt take it well.

Now stuck to a 1060.. Not sure thats bottlenecking the 3600 but its a good temporary gpu.

I could totally see a 3600 burying a 1060 in a lot of things. My 4770 can bury a 580 with fallout4.  Maybe you should be playing anno with that rig.

22 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I hate RMA the way it's used now. RMA means "Return Merchandise Authorisation". It means the manufacturer has authorised you to return the product to them. It is not a verb, or a replacement for the word "return".

Therefore:

"I want to RMA my widget", meaning "My widget is faulty and I'm going to contact the manufacturer so I can return it" is wrong and annoying. Just say you want to "return" it instead.

"I have an RMA for my widget", meaning "The manufacturer has told me I can return my widget", is fine.

I think people use RMA to differentiate from a regular return. Seems like when most people say return, they mean to return the product no questions asked (as long as the product is in the original condition and not damaged by the user) within the 30 day period or whatever the return period is. RMA is then used when making a warranty claim when the product is defective. I’m not saying that’s correct, but you are correct that RMA does not replace return, since most people use each term to mean different things. 

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I could totally see a 3600 burying a 1060 in a lot of things. My 4770 can bury a 580 with fallout4.  Maybe you should be playing anno with that rig.

I think i own a ANNO game on origin.. Will actually tempt that.

35 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Therefore:

Hmm… you may have a point.  I think of RMA  as “send back temporarily for testing or replacement but I want the thing back”

A lot of computer components are simply too dangerous or complex or both to be checked for functionality by a layman, and troubleshooting requires extending the chain of known good. 

Edited by Bombastinator

On 5/8/2021 at 10:02 AM, RejZoR said:

VR and AI. Two most annoying buzzwords that everyone just throws around like magic dust. VR kinda died out tho, thank god...

I haven't seen any evidence of VR dying out, more like it's growing tremendously. I definitely get people throwing around AI like magic dust, but I don't see how that logic applies to VR. Can you give an example what you mean and why you dislike VR as a term?

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

3 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I definitely get people throwing around AI like magic dust

Yeah also in science "machine learning" gets thrown around way too much as some magic wand you just wave and your problem is solved.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

26 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I haven't seen any evidence of VR dying out, more like it's growing tremendously. I definitely get people throwing around AI like magic dust, but I don't see how that logic applies to VR. Can you give an example what you mean and why you dislike VR as a term?

VR is basically dead at this point. Like 2 years everyone was raving about it, everyone streaming and showing setups. Now, no one even cares apart from those 50 people who can't shut up about it.

12 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

VR is basically dead at this point. Like 2 years everyone was raving about it, everyone streaming and showing setups. Now, no one even cares apart from those 50 people who can't shut up about it.

would not say dead, but yes. it has died down a lot since the beginning.

still some cool stuff, but got ways to go and the price will just increase by demanded features and hardware.

from cables to no cables to better rendering and performance, easier tools to create VR titles and if VR could be integrated with AR and physical actions in the future. *goes at work while wearing VR headset or goggles to make work more fun*