What's a tech term you hate?

da na
9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ive heard it called “the heart of the system” as well.   Body parts may just be a bad analogy.

The heart is surely the liquid cooling pump?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Oh yeah that makes sense. LOL

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Goes to body parts being a bad analogy I guess.  Not all systems are liquid cooled. It 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Literally every bit of Third-Party Risk Management terminology.

"Notebook". Nobody had an issue with the term "laptop" (apart from the fact that it's not actually great to rest them in your lap, but it's not like you should use a pen on them either!)

As far as I'm concerned, a notebook is this:

Notebook, Pens, Notes, Write, Book, Diary, Office

and this:

Laptop, Computer, Windows, Screen, Device, Desk, Office

is called a laptop.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

4 minutes ago, Muscle_Man1993 said:

So are other body parts... The lungs, stomach and kidneys are, arguably, very essential.

I think the analogy is meant to portray that most/all the "thinking" happens in the CPU.

I think it is a good analogy for people who don't understand computers.

*wonders what the spleen of the system would be*

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

32 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ive heard it called “the heart of the system” as well.   Body parts may just be a bad analogy.

I think the heart is the PSU

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

54 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

"...We're installing the CPU the heart of the computer or the brain depending on how you look at it so to do this we're just going to remove the plastic covering that they put on the motherboard we're just gonna take this little plastic part out we'll just toss that out of here and now we have an exposed CPU holder or rather slot on the motherboard and we're gonna use the CPU applicator this is a special little part that not everyone may get but this motherboard that we got from Asus definitely does have its called a CPU installation tool it makes it really useful if you want to install a core i7 hexa core CPU yeah we've got one and it's an eighth generation chip..."

43 minutes ago, Craftyawesome said:

"...We're installing the CPU the heart of the computer or the brain depending on how you look at it so to do this we're just going to remove the plastic covering that they put on the motherboard we're just gonna take this little plastic part out we'll just toss that out of here and now we have an exposed CPU holder or rather slot on the motherboard and we're gonna use the CPU applicator this is a special little part that not everyone may get but this motherboard that we got from Asus definitely does have its called a CPU installation tool it makes it really useful if you want to install a core i7 hexa core CPU yeah we've got one and it's an eighth generation chip..."

Lol.  Analogies only go so far...”we will then install the “spleen” of the computer by stuffing it up the “anus” of the computer and attach some wires which you may think of as the “blood vessels” of the computer though they do not actually connect directly to the “heart” of the computer. “. Also if one actually attempted to reattach a spleen that way someone would die.

1 hour ago, pythonmegapixel said:

"Notebook". Nobody had an issue with the term "laptop" (apart from the fact that it's not actually great to rest them in your lap, but it's not like you should use a pen on them either!)

Spoiler

As far as I'm concerned, a notebook is this:

Notebook, Pens, Notes, Write, Book, Diary, Office

and this:

Laptop, Computer, Windows, Screen, Device, Desk, Office

is called a laptop.

I wonder if it's a language difference? In the video where Linus goes to an electronics market in China with Strange Parts, when they ask for a laptop the person doesn't understand them, but they understood notebook immediately. Video is linked below starting at the mentioned part.  

Human anatomy as analogy for computer parts? Well there's an entire industry devoted to giving computers big swinging dicks! That industry is having a bit of trouble right now though. Oh well.

"e-waste"- Kind of a meaningless expression. What isn't waste? Or at least, waste-in-waiting?

Is some pci card sitting unused, and likely never to be used, in a box on my shelf e-waste?  Does it become e-waste after it makes a trip to a dump? When did it become e-waste? What even is e-waste?

Don't want to contribute to e-waste? Keep your unused, obsolete or damaged e-stuff in a box in your closet. Problem solved!

What a dumb expression.

1 minute ago, Rex Hite said:

"e-waste"- Kind of a meaningless expression. What isn't waste? Or at least, waste-in-waiting?

Is some pci card sitting unused, and likely never to be used, in a box on my shelf e-waste?  Does it become e-waste after it makes a trip to a dump? When did it become e-waste? What even is e-waste?

Don't want to contribute to e-waste? Keep your unused, obsolete or damaged e-stuff in a box in your closet. Problem solved!

What a dumb expression.

I think e-waste refers to a particular type of trash that has special difficulties with disposal partially because it’s often toxic.  The impression I get is anything with a battery or a pc board is like that.   I suspect those tiny little lithium polymer bag batteries are going to become a really serious problem.  Little incindiary bombs scattered everywhere. 

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I think e-waste refers to a particular type of trash that has special difficulties with disposal partially because it’s often toxic.  The impression I get is anything with a battery or a pc board is like that.   I suspect those tiny little lithium polymer bag batteries are going to become a really serious problem.  Little incindiary bombs scattered everywhere. 

The real toxicity released in the manufacture and distribution of the new item utterly dwarfs the potential toxicity of it as a waste item. It really makes the concept of e-waste seem almost comical in comparison. But that end-stage of the item's life gets its own word implying a greater menace to the environment than its origins.

1 minute ago, Eviljuche said:

'Solid State Drive' as opposed to 'Hard Drive'. Isn't being hard implies that the state is solid?

Static/resting state would sound awful and/or more confusing. 

1 minute ago, Eviljuche said:

Why bother with states then? Why not just call it 'Zero Spin Drive'? Or 'Full Silicon Drive'?

Well, the entire memory and read/write paraphernalia is contained within a single or multiple solid chips instead of requiring a spinning disk + moving arm.

22 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

'Solid State Drive' as opposed to 'Hard Drive'. Isn't being hard implies that the state is solid?

Not in this case.  “Solid state” in electronics means no moving parts.  Hard drives are called hard to differentiate from floppy, which is to say magnetic tape material. “Hard” drives are generally solid metal plates. Floppy discs actually derived rigidity from centrifugal force and the read head actually deformed the material slightly forming a sort of dimple.  The problem is specialized technical language often can mean different things depending on which one is being referred to. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Just now, Eviljuche said:

Well, the problem is that the majority of people who buys computers or PC parts are not techy enough to know that (or anything about how electronics are made at all), so there is some degree of confusion for them.

Yes.  It’s a problem with a lot of fields. The latest problem being caused by specialized language in epidemiology. “Airborne” apparently has a more specific meaning than assumed.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

“Airborne” apparently has a more specific meaning than assumed.

Isn't it something like "suspended in the air"?

14 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Isn't it something like "suspended in the air"?

The epidemiological term apparently includes that but is more specific.  Apparently sporeation is involved or something.  So not everything suspended in air is airborne by that definition.  It’s been a recurring problem in many areas.  One can create a term that means only one thing, or one can repurpose a more general word to make things more understandable for laymen.  Problems occur as the word ages though. 

47 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

If you fall into the ocean at terminal velocity, the water is hard, but not solid. Same difference.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

LTTstore.com

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)

4 hours ago, Eviljuche said:

It's because no moving parts.

Other electrical fields also use the words solid state for things, it's nothing new.

For example Solid State relays. It just means that the relay is one solid part that don't have moving parts.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

8 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

I said why this is a problem above in the discussion. SSDs are more mainstream for that

SSDs are less mainstream than pocket transistor radios were, and they had a real habit of actually having the words “solid state” printed in one corner.  Pocket transistor radios haven’t been really a thing for many many years though.  This is the problem with “regularized” technical language.  It’s subject to age.