What's a tech term you hate?

da na

Future Proof for me is that I can use the main system for atleast 7 years without swapping much... 

My current machine is 7 years old... only upgrade was another SSD and a gtx 1060 for the 760... else all the same... 

I hate when people say "my machine is broken please HLEP LOL" ... what is broken? what is inside of it? Specs? 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

When someone says "waterproof" they don't mean it will take slightly longer to get soaked.

theres a diffrence is what is expected here. There is a term, water resistance, that means that. But there isnt a future resistent term, so future proof covers more than will last longer. 

A lightbulb that last forever is futureproof, a lightbulb that lasts for a year or two more is  futureproof, its a broad term

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

9 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

theres a diffrence is what is expected here. There is a term, water resistance, that means that. But there isnt a future resistent term, so future proof covers more than will last longer. 

A lightbulb that last forever is futureproof, a lightbulb that lasts for a year or two more is  futureproof, its a broad term

Well maybe we could use Future Resistant, but...

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

Well maybe we could use Future Resistant, but...

Its too late to do that, the term isnt used now but futureproof is already widly used

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

calling WINDOWS DESKTOP computers "pc". I have a laptop. my pc (personal computer) is a laptop then some smartass on steam forum condescendingly tells me dont ever call your laptop pc. I mean WHY???? it is a personal computer. You think this is a government mainframe computer or something? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 minutes ago, wasab said:

calling WINDOWS DESKTOP computers "pc". I have a laptop. my pc (personal computer) is a laptop then some smartass on steam forum condescendingly tells me dont ever call your laptop pc. I mean WHY???? it is a personal computer. You think this is a government mainframe computer or something? 

All computers runnign Windows and linux tend to be pcs for most people here. Macs are not pcs here, theyre macs. 

Steam forms suck anyways, dont expect people to be nice there either.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

12 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

"hacker"

Just because I modified my 3DS with a CFW and can make Pokemon does NOT mean I can give you infinite gems in Clash of Clans.

People always ask me for free money in games or to pirate stuff for them because they saw me with a VisualStudio window open a few times. 

Cyber. People count "Cyber" as literally any task that's performed on computers..

So last year I held a post in my school senate with the initials of the name of the post being "cyber"(idk what the rest was). And the teachers would keep on asking me to make PPTs and Videos for upcoming events, because my post was related to computers.

PowerPoint wasn't an application that was built for nerds, but for the average people. The teachers were just pushing work onto me IMO.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

"rig" when refering to your gaming pc. i fucking hate it. 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

11 minutes ago, -CLASSIFIED- said:

Generally refers to a device that can do different things depending on how it’s set up. Originally from sailboats because how you rigged a ship changed its behavior.  Rigging became known for lifting things with ropes, and the people who do such things are still called riggers.  “Big rigs”, semi trucks are setup to haul different things and get highly personalized.  “Oil rigs” are set up for different kinds of drilling. Computers do the same thing.  A “gaming rig” would be different than a server rig or a programming rig or an offic work rig even though it can do all of those jobs just not as well.  A cat rig boat points into the wind really well but they tend to be slow.  Cat rigs were used on a lot of ocean fishing boats for a long time.  “Square rig” isn’t particularly fast and it’s one of the poorest rigs for sailing into the wind, but they’re very good at turning and can even do wild stuff like sailing backwards (called boxhauling.  Dunno why) this ability mad e them ideal for gun emplacements with poor arcs of fire because you could turn the whole boat, so almost all military vessels were square rig. There are a bunch of rigs for sailboats.  Lateen rig, sloop rig, etc..  some boats are built for a particular rig via mast placement.  Cat rig boats in particular benefit from a mast as far forward as it can be arranged, but any boat can be cat rigged.  It just may not work as well.  Goes for the other rigs too. It’s a term that comes from another technology but I don’t know a better one. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Didn't read thread

"usecase"

"Daily driver"

"Future proof"

"Bottleneck"

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

3 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

Didn't read thread

"usecase"

"Daily driver"

"Future proof"

"Bottleneck"

I agree with the others, but why do you hate “usecase”?

Just now, The_russian said:

I agree with the others, but why do you hate “usecase”?

It's hugely overused to split hairs about a topic. Also sucks meaning out of statements by hedging them.  Use cases are supposed to be ways in which different users of a system interact with the system and each other.  Instead it's gotten to mean how someone uses literally anything in any way that may or may not be different than anyone using anything in any way.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

5 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

It's hugely overused to split hairs about a topic. Also sucks meaning out of statements by hedging them.  Use cases are supposed to be ways in which different users of a system interact with the system and each other.  Instead it's gotten to mean how someone uses literally anything in any way that may or may not be different than anyone using anything in any way.

I see what you mean. I don’t remember hearing the term misused too often, at least not nearly as often as say “bottleneck”, but maybe I just don’t pay attention to it as much. 

15 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It's still completely meaningless because you just can't know. It's perfectly possible a couple of years after purchase some feature comes out that makes all previous hardware simultaneously obsolete. Or vice-versa, as was the case for sandy bridge chips they are all relevant for much longer than expected, until they are all completely outclassed by something new 8-9 years later regardless of whether they had HT enabled or not.

16 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Light bulb lifespan can be accurately predicted, not so with computer hardware - unless you literally just mean how long they will theoretically last before breaking.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think "Bottleneck" would be better replaced as a term by "limiting factor", which is what it is. People would quickly realise that there is always a limiting factor, and all that matters is what the limit is. Are you happy with the limit? If so, it's fine. If not, consider upgrading.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

• I don't need a "gaming computer" I just need a good one. I don't hate the term, but I hate how it's used by the wrong people. Literally anyone who has owned a computer has played a game! Solitaire is a freaking game! It's literally caused me to stop saying or typing (for the most part) those 2 words together, and saying high performance instead.
  • Autocorrect is a tech term I don't like, because I don't think it should exist to begin with. Spell checking is one thing, but come on!

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

3 hours ago, GeorgeMKane said:
  • Autocorrect is a tech term I don't like, because I don't think it should exist to begin with. Spell checking is one thing, but come on!

For the most term on mobile it is HIGHLY helpful. 
Because of autocorrect, I can thpe out a paragraph on my phone with no errors and hold a conversation at the saem time, no need to look at my phone

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

8 hours ago, -CLASSIFIED- said:

Yes. My baby is a much better term. It can confuse people when you keep talking about ho wyou never let your baby sleep and you play on it for hours.

7 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

"Future proof"

Im too lazy to retype all of it, read a couple pages ago

7 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

"Daily driver"

What? this literally means "I use this one as my main one" whats wrong with that? For example, I have a dailydriver iPhone XS max, but still use a old Lumia icon for watching movies on the go

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

For the most term on mobile it is HIGHLY helpful. 
Because of autocorrect, I can thpe out a paragraph on my phone with no errors and hold a conversation at the saem time, no need to look at my phone

not sure if intentional or not

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

27 minutes ago, Arika S said:

not sure if intentional or not

Not on a phone, just got a new keyboard. Not intentional, just me not proof reading

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

On 8/23/2021 at 6:07 PM, YoungBlade said:

My issue with the term is that it's often used to justify unnecessary purchases. If someone buys a 5900X over a 5600X in the hopes of making a gaming rig more "future-proof," that's dumb. You're spending double for a part that right now offers only about 5% more gaming performance at lower resolutions with a top-end GPU, and no difference at higher resolutions or with mid-tier graphics cards, because in X years, it'll pay dividends.

The problem is that odds are, by the time it is noticeably faster than the 5600X, you could probably buy a used 5900X for the difference in price, allowing you to upgrade then, or get a newer $200 CPU that offers even better performance on a platform with better features than what is possible to get today.

Potentially dumb anyway. It’s about cost amortization over time.  If you can get an extra year or two out of a machine by doing such a thing such an improvement would more than pay for itself. If you get an extra 3 years out of it it’s a clear win monetarily.  Hard to know if it will happen though.   You can buy minimal systems and replace more frequently or buy bigger systems and replace less frequently.  An example: I got a 4770k that I can’t get to clock very far.  When I bought it it was fast overkill. But I did that in 2014.  I could have saved $100 by buying a smaller chip that was 4/4 but just as fast.  It wouldn’t be able to play games anymore.  Can I get a $100 chip that is competitive with it? Sure, but I’d also need née motherboard, new memory, etc…. So replacing my cpu with one even the same speed won’t cost me $50 it will cost me $350, and that’s assuming I keep things like my case and PSU.  A new machine that ram as fast but be more upgradable would be more like $800.  If I could just plop a new chip into my old system it wouldn’t even be a question. The problem is I can’t.  Part of it I think is how one upgrades.  For a constant reseller who will resell parts it makes less sense. I won’t be reselling anything though.  My current machine will become my backup machine which will eventually be donated so I will get $0 for any old parts.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.