What's a tech term you hate?

da na
3 hours ago, radoncombe said:

Dunno if this is a tech term but anyone remotely arrogant enough to call Android/PC users "peasants" or "poor"

i see this more from the self proclaimed "PCMR" d**kheads when speaking about....literally anyone else

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 hours ago, radoncombe said:

Dunno if this is a tech term but anyone remotely arrogant enough to call Android/PC users "peasants" or "poor"

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i see this more from the self proclaimed "PCMR" d**kheads when speaking about....literally anyone else

Well here is a piece on what I think

48 minutes ago, Jaesop said:

insisted I shouldn't have bothered if I "only had that much to spend".

LOL, I run a dell optiplex with a i5 6500 no gpu and this thing does pretty well.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

22 hours ago, sub68 said:

LOL, I run a dell optiplex with a i5 6500 no gpu and this thing does pretty well.

That's actually kinda funny - that's the processor I upgraded from. People vastly overestimate how powerful of a processor they need. In my case, it was starting to impact some audio work I was doing slightly and I felt justified in an update, but honestly - I could be running that i5-6500 a-ok right now.

35 minutes ago, Jaesop said:

That's actually kinda funny - that's the processor I upgraded from. People vastly overestimate how powerful of a processor they need. In my case, it was starting to impact some audio work I was doing slightly and I felt justified in an update, but honestly - I could be running that i5-6500 a-ok right now.

Not sure of that. It’s 4/4.  It will run stuff that doesn’t want 6 threads fine, but that’s not all games.  Some stuff ported from PS4 may have a problem. Would be late PS4 games only.  Probably aaa rpg stuff.  A big GPU can allow a cpu to make all the frames it can but it can’t make it faster.  If the game just does 6 threads 2 of them will have to be multitasked with subsequent overhead.  Just watched a thing on how “4 core processors are still fine” but it only did full 4/8 CPUs.  There weren’t any 4/4s tested. I’ve got a 4770k which was the bottom processor looked at, and it can bury a 580 in fallout 4 (barely).  Doesn’t bury the 580 in no man’s sky though. That’s the breath of  IPS advances fogging my side mirror I think. It’s looking like I can survive till 2022 with my rig running 1080p.  I’ve got time to see what the 12xxxs look like anyway. I don’t personally see any possible future use for more than 8/16 myself for any kind of gaming, and I think the claim that games that actually need more than 8 threads taking years to come out is looking more and more likely. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not sure of that. It’s 4/4.  It will run stuff that doesn’t want 6 threads fine, but that’s not all games.  Some stuff ported from PS4 may have a problem. Would be late PS4 games only.  Probably aaa rpg stuff.  A big GPU can allow a cpu to make all the frames it can but it can’t make it faster.  If the game just does 6 threads 2 of them will have to be multitasked with subsequent overhead.  Just watched a thing on how “4 core processors are still fine” but it only did full 4/8 CPUs.  There weren’t any 4/4s tested. I’ve got a 4770k which was the bottom processor looked at, and it can bury a 580 in fallout 4 (barely).  Doesn’t bury the 580 in no man’s sky though. That’s the breath of  IPS advances fogging my side mirror I think. It’s looking like I can survive till 2022 with my rig running 1080p.  I’ve got time to see what the 12xxxs look like anyway. I don’t personally see any possible future use for more than 8/16 myself for any kind of gaming, and I think the claim that games that actually need more than 8 threads taking years to come out is looking more and more likely. 

Yeah, my 4/4 FX isn't holding up too well at all in newer games. I've also got a 4/4 i5 and 4/4 Phenom but haven't run any recent games on them - but they're more than fine for web browsing, daily use. 

46 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yeah, my 4/4 FX isn't holding up too well at all in newer games. I've also got a 4/4 i5 and 4/4 Phenom but haven't run any recent games on them - but they're more than fine for web browsing, daily use. 

Aren't the last generation Phenoms actually better than the FX series in most things if you compare them core to core? My friend has a phenom 1090t that he used up until last month playing starcraft 2 competitively (although he said it was a pretty choppy experience). For everything else (basic, daily use) he had no problem.

8 hours ago, thechinchinsong said:

Aren't the last generation Phenoms actually better than the FX series in most things if you compare them core to core? My friend has a phenom 1090t that he used up until last month playing starcraft 2 competitively (although he said it was a pretty choppy experience). For everything else (basic, daily use) he had no problem.

This is a first gen Phenom X4, not the Phenom II x4.

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Hm? I'm saying I could be using that CPU still fine. I'm aware of my CPU usage so I'm confused as to your being unsure if I could still use it?

I'm not saying everyone could be. But I absolutely stand by saying that people vastly overestimate their CPU needs.

33 minutes ago, Jaesop said:

Hm? I'm saying I could be using that CPU still fine. I'm aware of my CPU usage so I'm confused as to your being unsure if I could still use it?

I'm not saying everyone could be. But I absolutely stand by saying that people vastly overestimate their CPU needs.

It will work of course.  The issue is games don’t work quite like a lot of other types of software . They’re extremely flow rate sensitive. So flow rate sensitive the standard methodology is to create a software frame buffer just to smooth out that stuff.  The question of use it fine vs use it fine for gaming are different things.  Momentary hitches and skewed flow can be a massive problem in games where another type of app might not even notice. The key work I think is “need” people don’t “need” video games at all generally.   Remove video game play from personal computers and requirements go way down.  This is why people talk about PCs vs gaming PCs.  Will no man’s sky run on my machine at 1080p?  Sure.  But there are hitches.  Hitches that if it were a PvP shooter would probably get me “killed”.   It’s not one though and when the frame rates drop momentarily it doesn’t matter all that much.  There is an opening starfield scene every time no-man’s-sky opens where one smoothly flies past a bunch of stars.  It is not smooth on my machine.  There are noticeable stutters which happen, I assume, as the buffer empties and has to wait for the next frame. It makes such things easy to spot though.  It’s a tolerance thing.  I can tolerate it because of the type of game it is and such things don’t bug me all that much. There are those who can’t though.  If it was a different type of game I might not be able to.

The 4770k machine isn’t my only one. I’ve got a “backup” in the form of an lga775 machine which is much older even than that.  Will it game?  Not really.  It will get me on the internet and do various other things fine though.  It’s 4/4. A higher end lga775. For internet tasks it is “fine”. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

When people say "I got an app for that" and then proceed to Nokia their phone on something.

It was funny in old shows like Memphis Beat, but it's not funny in real life. That's probably a phone they're going to go "Hey, can you fix this?" at some point, and I'm going to be like "nope! You broke it. It's broken." "It still works?" "Oh yeah, then why did you ask 'Can you fix this?'"

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

I know this is a very common hated thing, but..."Full HD", implying a lower, less complete, inferior HD version.

Is like the Imperial Unit system of resolutions.

Workstation | AMD AM4 3950X (16C/32T) | Radeon RX 6800 XT GAMING X TRIO 16G | MSI MAG B550 | 4x32 GB DDR4 3200Mhz HyperX Fury | x2 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus | x4 2TB Western Digital Blue 3D NAND | x8 CoolerMaster SickFlow RGB Fans | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240ML | Fractal Design Ion+ 860W Platinum | Cougar 550x Mesh

26 minutes ago, Gagz9k said:

I know this is a very common hated thing, but..."Full HD", implying a lower, less complete, inferior HD version.

Is like the Imperial Unit system of resolutions.

HD is 720P while Full HD is 1080P, so yes there is “a lower, less complete, inferior HD version”

29 minutes ago, The_russian said:

HD is 720P while Full HD is 1080P, so yes there is “a lower, less complete, inferior HD version”

The one that amused me was the use of "fullscreen" for a while to try to make 4:3 aspect ratio sound sexier when the transition to widescreen 16:9 or 16:10 wasn't complete yet. As if you were missing something with widescreen and 4:3 ensured you were getting the whole thing, when in reality the pan and scan mutilation of movies to fit on 4:3 displays meant the opposite was more likely. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

"Quantum" "Nano" "Turbo" stuff like that in product descriptions/names that doesn't actually mean anything but sounds hella cool...

Or Intel with their Core i9 10988KXE12 crap... 

I am aware that is not a real SKU

"Phablet"

I don't think anyone really says it anymore, given how the trend is for larger and larger smartphones, but it was always bad. 

7 minutes ago, Kylan275 said:

"Phablet"

I don't think anyone really says it anymore, given how the trend is for larger and larger smartphones, but it was always bad. 

I've never heard that one.

I hate it. 

I know people change over time, but the fact that I used to be perfectly fine doing the same things I do today on a 3.6" display boggles my mind. 

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

I hate it. 

Never? It was pretty common in the early 10's with regards to "giant" phones the size of tablets. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 minute ago, BondiBlue said:

I know people change over time, but the fact that I used to be perfectly fine doing the same things I do today on a 3.6" display boggles my mind. 

Never? It was pretty common in the early 10's with regards to "giant" phones the size of tablets. 

I was a child in the early 10s.

I guess I could start calling my flip phone with a 60% keyboard a phaptop…

14 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I hate it. 

Lucky you.  It didn’t go over very well or last very long. Kind of a grumpy move by people who wanted the flip phone to stay dominant.  Basically every phone made these days is a phablet.  Even the iphone12mini is one more or less. Anything candy bar with a full OS

1 hour ago, Kylan275 said:

"Phablet"

Was looking at a description (by Samsung) when browsing for a new phone. The second I saw "phablet" shivers went down my spine

Not sure if you get the same feeling but it just sounds .... so so wrong

On 7/22/2021 at 6:35 PM, CT854 said:

"Hard drive" or "CPU" when referring to a tower.

twitches in pain

People calling a desktop a harddisk or a box 

that hurts my head

Just now, AxS said:

People calling a desktop a harddisk or a box 

that hurts my head

Calling it a hard disk I get.  Box is a bit more difficult. Rig is also on this list elsewhere.  There may just be a shortage of useful descriptors that aren’t cumbersomly long.  I don’t know.  A complicated problem perhaps.  Or perhaps I’m just missing something.  That happens a lot.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Calling it a hard disk I get.  Box is a bit more difficult. Rig is also on this list elsewhere.  There may just be a shortage of useful descriptors that aren’t cumbersomly long.  I don’t know.  A complicated problem perhaps.  Or perhaps I’m just missing something.  That happens a lot.

I know, I can understand iit all

But I've head people calling it a printer before

That makes me want to erase my memory for the last 1 hour

58 minutes ago, AxS said:

I know, I can understand iit all

But I've head people calling it a printer before

That makes me want to erase my memory for the last 1 hour

That’s just bizarre