What's a tech term you hate?

da na

The only reason why the word "gamer" exists is because it is still a new medium. You would never think to call someone a moviegoer, or a book reader, or a music listener because those are well established things that everyone does.

Boomers don't play video games and they are still the ones in power. But the torch is slowly being passed to the Gen Xers who grew up with them. The average age of gamers is now 35. It won't be long before it is a normalized activity that doesn't define your whole personality.

11 hours ago, dilpickle said:

It's unmistakable terminology which is why it was used.

I know we are now supposed to "officially" use pin and socket but those can still lead to confusion.

Master and slave were also unmistakable terminology. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

14 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t disagree, but o have yet to see something better.  There may be an opportunity there though.

Professional Digital Player? Although nowadays you don't need to play professional to be a "Gamer". So that wouldn't work either. Interaction Player? Nobody would understand, but it doesn't sound like poop to my ears.

Not only tech per se but "value proposition"- a real winner for syllable count.

15 hours ago, dilpickle said:

The only reason why the word "gamer" exists is because it is still a new medium. You would never think to call someone a moviegoer, or a book reader, or a music listener because those are well established things that everyone does.

I have to push back on this just a bit. Nobody (or very few people) defines part of their identity as a person by saying they watch movies or read books or listen to music. People who play video games, at least some of them, have a tendency to themselves divide the world into "gamers" and "non-gamers," argue about who's a real gamer and who's not, etc.

Yes, part of this is a reaction to a cultural mainstream that once looked down on video games as a niche, nerdy hobby, and it will (probably) disappear as entire generations which have never known a time when people didn't play video games become the majority of the population, but "gamer" isn't entirely a construct of boomers. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 minutes ago, Rex Hite said:

"PC master race"- so many reasons why this phrase should be discouraged.

Yeah, I hate this.  There are pros and cons to consoles or PCs.  They are not just 'games machines' they have different appeals.  A console is 'a stupid box that makes games come out' and for a lot of people that's what they want.  People work or go to school all day and they want the game box to 'just work'.  PCs are more flexible and yes you can do some next level stuff with PCs but that also requires some tinkering skills and sometimes a lot more.  I had to read a manual just to figure out why my advertised 165hz monitor was capped at 144hz, it's because despite all the advertising that's 165hz is hidden in an OSD menu under 'Overclocking'.  Nothing before indicated that 165hz was not a 'stock feature'.

And, frankly, PCs are more likely to give you 'stupid problems'.  'Ah, time to play this game.  ...WHY IS IT STARTING ON THE WRONG MONITOR???'

I love PCs, I tinker, the tinkering appeals to me for sure, but some of the 'Fun Tinkering' is 'Stupid bullshit' to other people and you have to understand that.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

9 minutes ago, Rex Hite said:

I’ll go with “master race” in general though it’s no longer a tech term at that rate.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Yeah, I hate this.  There are pros and cons to consoles or PCs.  They are not just 'games machines' they have different appeals.  A console is 'a stupid box that makes games come out' and for a lot of people that's what they want.  People work or go to school all day and they want the game box to 'just work'.  PCs are more flexible and yes you can do some next level stuff with PCs but that also requires some tinkering skills and sometimes a lot more.  I had to read a manual just to figure out why my advertised 165hz monitor was capped at 144hz, it's because despite all the advertising that's 165hz is hidden in an OSD menu under 'Overclocking'.  Nothing before indicated that 165hz was not a 'stock feature'.

And, frankly, PCs are more likely to give you 'stupid problems'.  'Ah, time to play this game.  ...WHY IS IT STARTING ON THE WRONG MONITOR???'

I love PCs, I tinker, the tinkering appeals to me for sure, but some of the 'Fun Tinkering' is 'Stupid bullshit' to other people and you have to understand that.

Torn between “like” and “funny” not allowed to do both.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

"IP"- not exclusively technology related but I dislike this expression because  it's over-used, it's jargon-y, and I have a fundamental issue with the validity of the concept it represents. So a three-fer!

1 hour ago, Rex Hite said:

"IP"- not exclusively technology related but I dislike this expression because  it's over-used, it's jargon-y, and I have a fundamental issue with the validity of the concept it represents. So a three-fer!

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ip+manmovie&t=fpas&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dvdsreleasedates.com%2Fposters%2F800%2FI%2FIp-Man-The-Final-Fight-2013-movie-poster.jpg

"EMMESSARPEE"- It just doesn't mean anything. It's not even in the dictionary for god's sake.

7 minutes ago, Rex Hite said:

"EMMESSARPEE"- It just doesn't mean anything. It's not even in the dictionary for god's sake.

arguably true “Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price” is traditionally the maximum that a manufacturer thinks a thing should sell for.  It’s generally a number above wholesale cost.  Sometimes by as little as 10% to as much as 400%. Sometime it is also the minimum. They used to be actually enforced.  Still were in Japan.  This is why there was no such thing as a bulk discount.  This was challenged in the US by an electronics retailer called “crazy eddie’s” and later in Japan by reimport stores.  There msrp had grown to be so disjointed from reality that it was possible to reimport previously exported goods for cheaper prices than those demanded for identical products that were not exported.  A “discount” store in the US is a store that sells below msrp. Prices almost NEVER go over msrp, though lately for graphics cards it can be by double or more.  It is pretty close to random though. 

On 5/21/2021 at 5:15 PM, Rex Hite said:

The fun thing about it is that it started as a way of poking fun of PC-gamers (because those often are quiet obnoxious and consider themselves the only "real" gamers and "consoles are for kids" etc), then it was adopted by PC gamers with a 360 of the meaning. 

Now the community is split where some use it as a superiority marker to others while the majority still sees it as a sarcastic  denomination. 

I personally mainly use it as the original intent (making fun of PC gamers). 

43 minutes ago, Spindel said:

then it was adopted by PC gamers with a 360 of the meaning. 

360 or 180? 360 would be going full circle and back where you started…

Just now, The_russian said:

360 or 180? 360 would be going full circle and back where you started…

Yeah sorry I was a bit tired when writing that, will leave OP as is I hope people get the geist of what I mean 😉 

3 hours ago, Spindel said:

The fun thing about it is that it started as a way of poking fun of PC-gamers (because those often are quiet obnoxious and consider themselves the only "real" gamers and "consoles are for kids" etc), then it was adopted by PC gamers with a 360 of the meaning. 

Now the community is split where some use it as a superiority marker to others while the majority still sees it as a sarcastic  denomination. 

I personally mainly use it as the original intent (making fun of PC gamers). 

Yeah, that's what I find so ironic.

7 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Yeah, that's what I find so ironic.

My guess is that Ben Croshaw hates himself for popularizing the term with the adoption of one still depicting a PCMR guy from one of his old videos used by people in a non toung in cheek way.

The excuses for "PC Master race" don't stand up against the ugly implications in the phrase that have nothing to do with playing computer games. I see no good reason to encourage the phrase. I don't see why a trivial activity that's supposed to be fun would want to take ownership of that phrase. Why not "Gameplay sets you free"? Can that be a fun ironic phrase as well?

"Crowd-fund and Crowd-source"-  As it relates to consumer technology I hope by now those words have lost credibility and can go away.

Masterrace bottlenecks the term 2k

I edit my posts more often than not

21 minutes ago, Rex Hite said:

"Crowd-fund and Crowd-source"-  As it relates to consumer technology I hope by now those words have lost credibility and can go away.

Especially true with internet-connected devices. You can be 99% sure that once the products are actually shipped (assuming that happens in the first place) and the hype dies down, the startup behind it will inevitably run out of money and shut down, taking down their backend servers and thereby turning hundreds of technically functional devices into expensive paperweights.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Calling the CPU the brain of the system, because the other parts are just as vital.

28 minutes ago, Pcman26 said:

Calling the CPU the brain of the system, because the other parts are just as vital.

Ive heard it called “the heart of the system” as well.   Body parts may just be a bad analogy.