What's a tech term you hate?

da na
18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Potentially dumb anyway. It’s about cost amortization over time.  If you can get an extra year or two out of a machine by doing such a thing such an improvement would more than pay for itself. If you get an extra 3 years out of it it’s a clear win monetarily.  Hard to know if it will happen though.   You can buy minimal systems and replace more frequently or buy bigger systems and replace less frequently.  An example: I got a 4770k that I can’t get to clock very far.  When I bought it it was fast overkill. But I did that in 2014.  I could have saved $100 by buying a smaller chip that was 4/4 but just as fast.  It wouldn’t be able to play games anymore.  Can I get a $100 chip that is competitive with it? Sure, but I’d also need née motherboard, new memory, etc…. So replacing my cpu with one even the same speed won’t cost me $50 it will cost me $350, and that’s assuming I keep things like my case and PSU.  A new machine that ram as fast but be more upgradable would be more like $800.  If I could just plop a new chip into my old system it wouldn’t even be a question. The problem is I can’t.  Part of it I think is how one upgrades.  For a constant reseller who will resell parts it makes less sense. I won’t be reselling anything though.  My current machine will become my backup machine which will eventually be donated so I will get $0 for any old parts.

The devil's in the details. If you never upgrade a system, then getting a top-end part up front might improve longevity, but it may not. If you don't upgrade the graphics card, then a 5600X will probably always be good enough. It can get max performance out of any card today.

If games in the future require way more CPU power without also requiring way more graphics power (which would not be in line with past trends), then yes, the 5900X will be better, but if graphics requirements continue to outpace CPU requirements, then the GPU will obsolete the system before the CPU does, so it was $250 extra for negligible performance gains.

The people who run i5 4670K systems today that have problems running games because of the CPU are not still using the GTX 670 it came with. If they were, the CPU wouldn't be the biggest problem.

So I wouldn't rule out the financial benefits of getting a cheaper part now and saving for a future upgrade. It gives better flexibility for upgrades down the road when you have hundreds more in the bank today.

I hate the modern context of the word "phone".  "Oh, I'll look that up on my phone", or "I have [insert game name] on my phone".  A phone is a device used to TALK to people.  It is a sound-transmitting device, hence the word "phone" (like xylophone, or microphone; it deals with SOUND).  If it's a hand-held computer, call it what it is.  How often are these things used for calling, anyway?  If it's less than 50% of the user interaction time, then IT'S NOT A PHONE.

It's a hand-held computer with a phone built in.  You're not using the phone part if you're not calling someone (maybe you're using a wireless modem for data transmission, but that's a different thing).

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.

11 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

The devil's in the details. If you never upgrade a system, then getting a top-end part up front might improve longevity, but it may not. If you don't upgrade the graphics card, then a 5600X will probably always be good enough. It can get max performance out of any card today.

If games in the future require way more CPU power without also requiring way more graphics power (which would not be in line with past trends), then yes, the 5900X will be better, but if graphics requirements continue to outpace CPU requirements, then the GPU will obsolete the system before the CPU does, so it was $250 extra for negligible performance gains.

The people who run i5 4670K systems today that have problems running games because of the CPU are not still using the GTX 670 it came with. If they were, the CPU wouldn't be the biggest problem.

So I wouldn't rule out the financial benefits of getting a cheaper part now and saving for a future upgrade. It gives better flexibility for upgrades down the road when you have hundreds more in the bank today.

Maybe.  That’s the thing.  A 5600 is 6/12. Less than 8/16 which is what current consoles have.  No one has leveraged that in a game yet but it could happen.  So still an unknown. I’m not ruling it out. I’m saying it’s gambling.  Both are gambling really.  It’s partially a question of can you afford the higher end part?  Companies that make chips know all of this, and price their stuff accordingly. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, Yuri Fury said:

I hate the modern context of the word "phone".  "Oh, I'll look that up on my phone", or "I have [insert game name] on my phone".  A phone is a device used to TALK to people.  It is a sound-transmitting device, hence the word "phone" (like xylophone, or microphone; it deals with SOUND).  If it's a hand-held computer, call it what it is.  How often are these things used for calling, anyway?  If it's less than 50% of the user interaction time, then IT'S NOT A PHONE.

It's a hand-held computer with a phone built in.  You're not using the phone part if you're not calling someone (maybe you're using a wireless modem for data transmission, but that's a different thing).

I do suspect that if “dumb” cellphones didn’t happen smartphones wouldn’t have been called phones. Dumb cellphones that only make calls still exist. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Dumb cellphones that only make calls still exist. 

I'm literally looking for one... but can't find any.  Canada is a bit of a wasteland where you can buy a ZTE or an alcatel, neither of which will last more than a week. 

I like the British pronunciation though.  "Mobile".  They leave the part that comes after "Mobile" up to your own imagination. 

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.

reboot.

That's saying I gave up, have no clue, and haven't fixed anything. So it's going to happen again. Something is broken that can't be fixed ever.

4 minutes ago, Yuri Fury said:

I'm literally looking for one... but can't find any.  Canada is a bit of a wasteland where you can buy a ZTE or an alcatel, neither of which will last more than a week. 

I like the British pronunciation though.  "Mobile".  They leave the part that comes after "Mobile" up to your own imagination. 

They’re around.  Know a guy that recently bought one in the US. Apparently has an embedded Linux is and cos $40 or something else ridiculously small.  Might have to order it.

5 minutes ago, willies leg said:

reboot.

That's saying I gave up, have no clue, and haven't fixed anything. So it's going to happen again. Something is broken that can't be fixed ever.

So not a “have you turned of off and on” fan then.

PC is short for Personal Computer. It is a General Term to describe Computers design for Personal Use. So a Mac is a PC and so are Laptops. Smartphones? Depends. Tablets can used as PCs...

6 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

“Hacker” when referring to someone who knows how to use a CLI…

or opening up task manager to explian how things work

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

7 hours ago, GeorgeMKane said:

I don't need a "gaming computer" I just need a good one. I don't hate the term, but I hate how it's used by the wrong people. Literally anyone who has owned a computer has played a game! Solitaire is a freaking game! It's literally caused me to stop saying or typing (for the most part) those 2 words together, and saying high performance instead.

*laughs with using optiplex*

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

• 2 weeks later...

I hate hearing people say Twitter is an App...

IT'S A SOCIAL MEDIA

8 hours ago, Nepcchi said:

I hate hearing people say Twitter is an App...

IT'S A SOCIAL MEDIA

Is it a social media app? Should be the question. That would at least make more sense. People are truly silly.

40 minutes ago, dkoudijs said:

Is it a social media app? Should be the question. That would at least make more sense. People are truly silly.

Twitter is actually not an app, but a platform. Try deleting the app itself from your hardware, then sending your browser to WWW.TWITTER.COM and see what I mean. You actually dun't need to install any software to use Twitter.

On 8/23/2021 at 10:08 PM, Bombastinator said:

My memory is p numbers all have a fixed ratio (16x9?  What digital TV uses) so only one of those would work.

The p stands for the scan type,

For example there is 1080p and 1080i:

1080p: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

1080i: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i

Also back in the day when 16:10 was the standard,1050p monitors were a thing (1680x1050).

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

5 minutes ago, Vishera said:

The p stands for the scan type,

For example there is 1080p and 1080i:

1080p: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

1080i: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i

Also back in the day when 16:10 was the standard,1050p monitors were a thing (1680x1050).

But if the standard is removed it stops being useful. So a p number is only useful if the aspect ratio is 16:10

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

But if the standard is removed it stops being useful. So a p number is only useful if the aspect ratio is 16:10

It was relevant to 16:9 as well,

1080i monitors were more common in around 2006,when the transition from i to p has begun and screens using CRT technology and some interlaced early flat screens were getting phased out in favor of the newer plasma and LCD technologies.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

45 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It was relevant to 16:9 as well,

1080i monitors were more common in around 2006,when the transition from i to p has begun and screens using CRT technology and some interlaced early flat screens were getting phased out in favor of the newer plasma and LCD technologies.

That may have been where I got 16x9.  Apparently a p number AND aspect ratio is useful but if one has one the other is needed as well to make sense of things.

Dunno if this is a tech term but anyone remotely arrogant enough to call Android/PC users "peasants" or "poor"

5 minutes ago, radoncombe said:

Dunno if this is a tech term but anyone remotely arrogant enough to call Android/PC users "peasants" or "poor"

people who do are just brainwashed consumers.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Just now, adarw said:

Pretty much everyone is though.   I suspect it’s more prevelant in, say, high schools where the level of brainwashed consumerism is unusually high.  I’d like to see a marketing class taught in high school as sort of a “defense against the dark arts” kind of thing.  Marketing can be astoundingly powerful, and the people who are most susceptible are frequently the people who think they aren’t susceptible at all.

1 hour ago, radoncombe said:

1 hour ago, adarw said:

Or those "You cant afford AMD so you bought Intel" 

1. Did I ask

2. AMD makes cheaper CPUs than Intel, Intel makes cheaper CPUs than AMD. 

3. Did I ask

4. If you're buying a used PC that's 4-10 years old, 80% of the time Intel will be a better choice - they've held up a bit better than AMD's offerings from the time. 

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

Or those "You cant afford AMD so you bought Intel" 

1. Did I ask

2. AMD makes cheaper CPUs than Intel, Intel makes cheaper CPUs than AMD. 

3. Did I ask

4. If you're buying a used PC that's 4-10 years old, 80% of the time Intel will be a better choice - they've held up a bit better than AMD's offerings from the time. 

I had someone very upset at me for pointing out that my i5-11400 was the best bang for my buck at the price range (despite this being a massively accepted consensus at it's launch), and insisted I shouldn't have bothered if I "only had that much to spend".

1 minute ago, Jaesop said:

I had someone very upset at me for pointing out that my i5-11400 was the best bang for my buck at the price range (despite this being a massively accepted consensus at it's launch), and insisted I shouldn't have bothered if I "only had that much to spend".

Most of my PCs are Intel because most of them are used. 4th gen i5 and Xeon e5 systems can be found incredibly cheap.