What's a tech term you hate?

da na
36 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I dissagree.

HD may mean that, technically, but if you give most people a "hd" tv and it looks like shit as its 720p, its easer for the masses to have hd= high quality video

This is a common thing.  When the bar is low enough even something that when viewed elsewhere as inadequate may still be looked at as amazing success.  There was lots of badmouthing of the Libyan government under khadaffi, but the one before it was much much worse. Feudal style absolute monarchy complete with useless nobility.  It was bad.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, overthe6r said:

To make it ever worse, people are still calling SSDs "hard drives"

Well they’re hard and they’re drives. The whole “drive” thing might need to go too. “Persistent storage” maybe? 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Deshroud

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

9 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Deshroud

Lol never heard that myself.  Sounds morbid and victorian

14 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I hoped that Win11 would have the local disk as a:

There are some old people that would screw up, but it makes some sense even then.  A really was where the is was supposed to go, it’s just that a was a  floppy.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Someone decided that if you take the factory shroud and fans off of just about any GPU, you can lower your temps.

The key here, is it's a SFF build. Remove large inefficient fans, and add good fans that barely fit in the case.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There are some old people that would screw up, but it makes some sense even then.  A really was where the is was supposed to go, it’s just that a was a  floppy.

Yeah, it'd also be great if drives were assigned letters based on types not date added, I have 4 mounted drives, C, D, E, and K (k added later) and a usb hub that occupies FGHIJ.

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yeah, it'd also be great if drives were assigned letters based on types not date added, I have 4 mounted drives, C, D, E, and K (k added later) and a usb hub that occupies FGHIJ.

I ended up with M.2s on C and F, with USB being D and E. Oddly enough, both M.2s were plugged in before my BIOS update USB and my Windows installer.

image.png.1dd04f8344dfbcc0004162b703a0c7c5.png

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

9 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Someone decided that if you take the factory shroud and fans off of just about any GPU, you can lower your temps.

The key here, is it's a SFF build. Remove large inefficient fans, and add good fans that barely fit in the case.

Still morbid and Victorian.  Shroud is a problem word in English because of ironically the KJD biblical “translation”. Jesus was wrapped in a shroud after death.  Plus there’s stuff like the shroud of Turin, etc..  to unshroud something is to make it visible. A shroud is a sort of protective wrapper and is generally non functional besides that. There are engine cowlings and engine shrouds.  A cowl is generally functional in some way.  A shroud is not.  A card shroud does shroud the card, but it also holds the fans, so it sort of breaks the paradigm.  A video card shroud is usually more appropriately a video card cowling. English is a mess though so it gets by. This word reinforces it though.

8 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

DOS has not aged well.

11 minutes ago, overthe6r said:

You can still load floppy drives on windows 11. There are people that still use it for some reason

Yes, floppy drives are still somewhat useful, all I use mine for is transferring data to my Windows 98 system.

The word "Cyber" It just drives me insane, or any variation of it, like Cyberspace or stuff like that, it drives me nuts.

System Stability? More like system unstability

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

Deshroud

Why? There's times where it's a good idea.

Like a shitty blower cooler, its probably going to be better with a fan strapped on and it going nuts

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Why? There's times where it's a good idea.

Like a shitty blower cooler, its probably going to be better with a fan strapped on and it going nuts

It's the wrong word.

Like I said in the post after, there are times where it makes sense, but doing it just to do it?

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

It's the wrong word.

Like I said in the post after, there are times where it makes sense, but doing it just to do it?

It fits perfectly, I don't know what your were on about there.

The plastic part in a gpu? It's called a shroud. 

I get thaf it may not be the right word 100% blah blah blah, but they're officially called that, so removing it is infact a deshroud or unshroud

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Meowcat285 said:

The word "Cyber" It just drives me insane, or any variation of it, like Cyberspace or stuff like that, it drives me nuts.

Classic buzzword.  To go along with “quantum” and “nano” and “paradigm shift” I read a Chinese complaint once about the term “dragon pearl”.  I suspect it’s all the same.

Edited by Bombastinator

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Classic buzzword.  To go along with “quantum” and “nano” and “paradigm shift” I read a Chinese complaint once about the term “dragon pearl”.  I suspect it’s all the same.

Or like the misuse of "HD" to make things sound cooler. At this point it's just a marketing term alongside Pro and Ultra and etc

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

LOL, are you not deshrouded? 😉

4 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Or like the misuse of "HD" to make things sound cooler. At this point it's just a marketing term alongside Pro and Ultra and etc

HD is still a standard, as well as SD.  Misused no doubt but still relevant. 

5 hours ago, overthe6r said:

To make it ever worse, people are still calling SSDs "hard drives"

I'm more or less forced to do it cause I tend to talk to a large number of elderly customers who barely know how a computer works.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

17 minutes ago, Heliian said:

LOL, are you not deshrouded? 😉

You have to be enshrouded first.  You mean my video card?  Nah.  It’s crap but my monitor is worse crap so there’s no point in trying to quiet it because I’d have to tweak settings in a lot of things to make it work hard enough to have an issue.   Easier to just leave the settings lower and not mess with it. Anything that can make 60fps 1% low at 1080p is max for me atm.  I actually replaced the monitor I’m using now ten years ago, but the newer one got made redundant by win10 so I hauled the old one out of the basement.  It works. Not well but it works.

55 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

I'm more or less forced to do it cause I tend to talk to a large number of elderly customers who barely know how a computer works.

They might get “data storage” the really old ones have been through the punch card era.  That was data storage too. You just did it with a lot of rubber bands and a certain amount of fear of tripping.