Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
7 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

oh, havent seen it but it looks really nice

it'd still be cool for them top do it especially considering they have partnered for limited edition products before

Hi Linus 

I wanted to know if you could make a video for us all about what to look for in terms of a monitor for PS5 and Xbox SX. 

I've always games on a TV myself, went and bought myself a monster of a Panasonic TV 5 years ago and to this day haven't seen a screen that looks better than mine. 

However...

About 2 years ago I got a new job and the pay rose was substantially better. In effect, I went a bought myself a gaming set up, consisting of a Titan Omega chair, PS4 pro, monitor and built my own pc based off your $1000 pc budget guide. 

Since playing on a monitor I've found that my gaming has improved so much, even with my age of nearly 30. Being closer to the screen and having that reaction time in ms reduced, it is so much better for a gaming experience. 

My problem is, when I use my PS4 pro on my TV again, I can't help but look in awe at how wonderful the colours, detail and buttery smooth picture is. But it's impossible to play competitive games on such a big screen .

So I digress, my challenge for you is, can you make a video for the millions on what to look for when we are monitor shopping for next gen consoles. 

From what I've read, the hdmi 2.1 seems to be a must and I've seen Eve showing off their new spectrum monitor too. Is there such a thing as television gorgeousness on a small desk screen. 

Thanks again

What if you do a video where you Match a Viewers Budget to build a gaming rig. What do you guys think?

Since you guys CANNOT RESIST tinkering with server stuff how about a face off.

System 1 has ONE "slow" 28 or 32-core CPU. System 2 has FOUR "fast" 8-core CPU's. I'm thinking a Xeon 8280L or 32-core EPYC counterpart and four of the newer 6250L processors. Do a head-to-head to see if it makes sense to shop single socket or if combining four processors can beat the best XCC part. This would also address the question if clock speed is still more important than just having more cores.

Finally, these same systems can be loaded with 6TB RAM. How does creating a massive 4TB+ RAM scratch disk compare with say two U.2 drives in RAID0? Are there instances where a RAM scratch disk is better preferred to say a traditional SSD or even an Optane drive?

Hit up your contacts at Supermicro - they're shipping these systems right now.

there is a youtuber called potato jet who is thinking of buying a jellyfish and is also using loads of external hard drives

link: 

If you still have that 2019 Mac Pro then you could powder coat it to matte black/dark. Could be done quite easily and should collect good views like Apple videos usually do.

I did quick Google search and it seems nobody hasn't done that yet.

How about a use for older server gear for home uses? I got a Tesla K40 I got for cheap and I always want to learn what to do with other products. The optiplex build was cool but what about other stuff? Is there a new budget dual socket server that's considered "old"?

Updated review for lancache... I tried setting it up myself and it worked, but really just slightly faster than my internet at 40 mbps compared to 30 mbps. A proper guide would be nice so we know what tweaks should and shouldn't be made. My internal network is gigabit however I was unable to get that speed even though both devices are well over capable.

Spent weeks looking for the best hdmi switch that’s more then 4 in and 2 out but no luck please Linus we need a video about hdmi switch that actually support 4k 60hz cuz it’s all a lie

big fan 

Thank you 

Okay here is an idea that falls more into the gaming side of things.

If you happen to do a search on Ebay for a steam game hoping to find a key that is less than what Steam is selling it for, you will notice HUNDREDS of postings for batch steam keys for like $3-$10 bucks that promise "random" or AAA steam games. 

My video idea would be to buy about 20 sets of these bundles and see what kind of games are actually provided and if it is in any way worth the money.

There are also "shared steam accounts" for sale that could be another video. 

How about watercooling G-sync monitors?

20200614_043838.thumb.jpg.dc9bc0dfae867d261cd69f29292fd236.jpg

^ Acer Predator X34A ^

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, nrmzz said:

Okay here is an idea that falls more into the gaming side of things.

If you happen to do a search on Ebay for a steam game hoping to find a key that is less than what Steam is selling it for, you will notice HUNDREDS of postings for batch steam keys for like $3-$10 bucks that promise "random" or AAA steam games. 

My video idea would be to buy about 20 sets of these bundles and see what kind of games are actually provided and if it is in any way worth the money.

There are also "shared steam accounts" for sale that could be another video. 

and we thought G2A was bad...

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

On 6/10/2020 at 5:55 PM, General K3nobi said:

i think LTT already made a video about this, here's the vid

It is 2 years old now but I think it's still holds up (No I'm not a profesional pc dude so I don't really know how much this vid still holds up)

That video is outdated and focusses on cad

6 hours ago, Snake3_ said:
Thank you 

Merged to video suggestions thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I personally want a video about Acer's Aspire desktops and their lack of cooling. In most of them, even the newest Aspire X computers, the only fan in the system is the CPU fan, and the rest is what I call, but I'm not sure other people call it this as well, passive cooling, meaning that the system has no case fans to cool the rest of the PC. This has been going on ever since the early days of the 2008 Aspire desktop generation, and I'm just not really sure what motivation they would have to do this other than saving a buck.

I've been checking out videos on the channel about RTX grapthics cards and noticed that they're relatively old now, from like a year ago or more. (the Minecraft one not included) In those older videos, it was mentioned that there wasn't much point to RTX because there were only 3 games that did at least something with it, Shadow of the Tombraider, Battlefield V and another one I believe. So now it's at least a year onwards, and we can expect for a new generation of Nvidia graphics cards to be launched in the relatively near future, how are things looking on the RTX front for gaming? I think this might be due for a refresh. Is it worth shelling out for an RTX card or will a GTX card do fine, or even an AMD card instead of an Nvidia?

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but I watched LTT for years. My suggestion is, because Data Science is becoming the next big thing on the job market, I suggest you (Linus Tech Tips) make a video for entry level, mid level and high level PC builds. I encountered a bunch of people who try to build there PC get into lot of problems with their budgets.

Why people tend to build their own Machine learning PC:

1. Machine and Deep learning need much more power then our every day PC, because they do lot computational stuff

2. AWS and Azure are too expensive

3. A lot of Data Scientist(DS) and Analyst(DA) are not familiar with building a PC (reason: many DS and DA come from the statistics field and are not familiar with programming and just starting out with it)

On 6/11/2020 at 1:47 AM, if528 said:

I just found this ad on youtube for "cheap gaming pcs" and I would be glad to see a review since it sounds too good to be true.

Ad:

I did some research and apparently it's just a reskinned Dell Optiplex upgrade. Notice how the motherboard is called an "OEM Motherboard" and it uses a stock fan and a 3rd gen i5.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

Guess: PC or Mac?

A video where LTT members have to talk to some number of people and guess whether each one is a PC or mac user based on appearance and interaction :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

How about a video in which you guys show that last gen ryzen  8 core cpu vs present gen ryzen 6 core and 4 core cpu. Which is better for content creation? And will I get any performance boost if I go with a older gen higher number of core cpu that I can find cheaper than the present gen lower number of core cpu that is costly.

Making your own GPU of course with a bigger LMG budget

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider doing a vid or even a series on running Chrome OS ???  

Most bang for small bucks ? 

Target audience Kids, Mom, Grandma or a box dedicated to a room, kitchen, garage, living, rec room or for a 3rd 4th 5th ect box in the house  Average people NEVER exit from a browser ( typically chrome) 99% of the time any way.

Which flavor ????????? 

https://www.neverware.com/#intro

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-convert-windows-laptop-chromebook

https://download.cnet.com/Google-Chrome-OS/3000-18513_4-75329145.html

on cheap common generic X86 boxes ie

https://www.pcliquidations.com/p42832-dell-optiplex-3020-sff

https://www.pcliquidations.com/p84803-hp-elitedesk-800-g1

https://www.pcliquidations.com/p112419-dell-latitude-e6510-15#

https://www.newegg.com/hp-elitebook-8470p/p/1TS-000D-0ANE1?&quicklink=true

in a dual boot config ????

ditch windows altogether

- best way ?????

of course you would want to upgrade the drive 

swap n clone? 

add dual boot via bios??

ssd?

M.2 on a card?

sata?

Memory requirements ? is DDR4 worth the extra cash ?? 4 or 8 meg does it make a diff ???

Or just boot from a stick ?????

Where is the MAIN bottleneck with this class of box in THIS scenario  ????

A knowledgeable person Knows how much they DON'T KNOW, There are SO MANY MANY variables ???

Help, Im SOOOOO Confused !!!!! 

This is a no brainer virial vid for you guys

Thank You very much, you guys are da Bomb !!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE ?

Hello,

So, do you guys have any desire or intention to pursue this suggestion?

TY 

Edited by -JP
To solicit feedback

I don't know if this as already been suggested but here it is.

Short version: Why not watercool, overclock, overvolt and overamp a forklift ( or anything with a electric motor (AC or DC) and a controler)) ?

Long version: Watching your watercooling videos, the New workshop's equipements and many videos featuring Alex, i had this Idea: since Electric forklift controlers are PCB with capacitors, resistors, transistors, etc... That needs to take the heat away via thermal paste, heatsinks and fans, why not watercool them!!!! 🤣 and maybe overclock/overvolt/overamp them too and see if you can get real-action performances gains. 

Whit that said, i understand that the scale is probably to much and, yeah, smaller will make it easier to create something useful with a project like that.

Hi there, 

I have a 33 year old computer (starts up but not fully working as i don't have all the parts, yet) i'm wondering if Linus would be interested in having a look at it or just having some fun or something with it, i live in Perth Australia so shipping might be hard but i think i'll deal with that when it happens, I have no clue how to use the computer (i had newer ones when i was born) so i figured someone could make a video on it or something, cause whenever i look there are none, also its super cool. So just asking what to do. I think it would be a great idea for a video (maybe a little bias). All I would ask is that I can get it back in the future and maybe a shoutout or link or something for me. 

Thanks, 

Scarlett

Blake has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!