Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I've recently been having issues with my powerline adapters overheating and throttling my internet speeds significantly, so I used some zip ties to strap an old Pentium 4-era chipset cooler to the front of it to aid cooling.

Looking at it made it seem like the exact sort jank that one of the LTT crew would come up with, and I think it would make a great idea as an excuse to bust out the watercooling gear, and also to provide assistance to others with this problem.

You won't find much content out there on powerline adapters, even though there's a pretty decent userbase, so it'd definitely be a video that would help people out while also exploring a topic that a lot of people won't have even considered.

An alternative video topic is one that is simply on the topic of powerline adapters overheating. I could be operating under a complete misconception, and so testing it to confirm the rumour, and then mess around creating a solution could also make for a compelling video.

All the best guys and gals.

It's been more than a year after your last headphone compare. actually people want to see this kind of tech videos , not the water cooling calculator kind of videos . 

Screenshot (211)_LI.jpg

Just saw the TQ on DLSS and I think you guys should do a full detailed video (review?) on DLSS 2.0.  From what I've heard, it's night and day different to the original.  The original was a complete failure, tanking framerate while creating ugly, oil painting frames, all while having a ton of restrictions on when you can even use it (certain FPS, which games, etc.).  From what I've heard, DLSS 2.0 addresses the performance and quality issues in a massive way to the point where it now significantly outperforms the sharpening we've recently seen from both companies in response to the original failure, while also improving on the other areas.  What I don't know for certain is if any of this is actually true, because for some reason I can't fathom, no one big and reputable (at least that I've noticed) seems to be giving it any serious attention.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just saw this ad on my Facebook newsfeed. This might be a good sequel to the phone watercooling series. Looks less janky than that copper plate strapped to the back of the phone. See if this is more effective than that. Upon checking, the seller is from China so you may start looking from there. This seems to be only worth around US$20 if there's no discount.

image.thumb.png.1573e320596e1576a2b0199cded00c3b.png

11 minutes ago, takagi19 said:

Looks less janky than that copper plate

Looks like leakfest instead but that would be fun... 😅

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Puffin browser is a cloud based browser. Sorta like how stadia is a cloud based gaming system.

from wikipedia

Puffin Browser was initially released in 2010. It uses encrypted cloud servers for content processing. Because Puffin renders webpages in the cloud, it could, according to some benchmark tests, make page loading, content rendering, and JavaScript execution faster than local device processing.

Seems very interesting, I'd love to see linus look into how much performance it actually gains on phones at different price points. I'd also love to see more in-depth on the concerns of it.

all the unencrypted traffic of the user passes through the Puffin servers. This means that potentially sensitive information such as passwords passes in cleartext through the Puffin servers and may be logged by them.[citation needed] Note that the Puffin privacy policy promises that no web pages content is logged by them and that they do not have access to the user passwords.

The browser has a surprisingly large userbase for a browser I had never heard of before last week. Over 100 million downloads.

What do you guys think?

17 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Puffin browser is a cloud based browser. Sorta like how stadia is a cloud based gaming system.

That makes no sense. A browser runs on your local system. If it was cloud based it would be a little like a browser running inside a browser. Like Stadia, a cloud based service needs some kind of local client.

Seems very interesting, I'd love to see linus look into how much performance it actually gains on phones at different price points. I'd also love to see more in-depth on the concerns of it.

Ok... so the "cloud" part is actually a content proxy that reduces the size of the web page before your local browser receives it. Like Opera has done before and like Google's AMP does for mobile devices. Concern would be that the content runs through a third-party before it reaches you, meaning they can see what you see and could potentially alter what you see in any way, shape or form.

The browser has a surprisingly large userbase for a browser I had never heard of before last week. Over 100 million downloads.

What do you guys think?

Number of downloads is not the same as a user base (how do you know people who downloaded it are actively using it?). From what I can find there's about 4.57 billion people online. A user base of 100 million would be about 2%, so actually not all that much.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I’d seen it around. It’s fast, though higher end devices easily outpace it nowadays. 

There are plenty of older low end devices around that can benefit from offloading heavy JavaScript. Additionally, lower end devices tend to use older manufacturing processes (some current SoCs are still on 28nm), hindering efficiency. Offloading processing to the cloud alleviates this. 

Flagship devices are fast and efficient enough as to benefit little, if at all from Puffin, hidden crypto miners aside. There is also the privacy issue as your data is routed through Puffin unencrypted. 

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

That makes no sense. A browser runs on your local system. If it was cloud based it would be a little like a browser running inside a browser. Like Stadia, a cloud based service needs some kind of local client.

Ok... so the "cloud" part is actually a content proxy that reduces the size of the web page before your local browser receives it. Like Opera has done before and like Google's AMP does for mobile devices. Concern would be that the content runs through a third-party before it reaches you, meaning they can see what you see and could potentially alter what you see in any way, shape or form.

Puffin offloads the bulk of rendering the webpage to external servers, JavaScript and all. For example, say rendering a reddit page takes 10 seconds on a low end device processing locally. Offloading the JavaScript to an external server can cut down the time to a fraction, with the phone only receiving the result. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

10900k vs 9900k vs 3900x vs 3950x

10900k oc guide and temperature

i7 10700 vs Ryzen 7 3700x and 3800x

36 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

For example, say rendering a reddit page takes 10 seconds on a low end device processing locally. Offloading the JavaScript to an external server can cut down the time to a fraction, with the phone only receiving the result. 

That was probably OK in 2010, but nowadays it would likely result in a lot of broken pages since everyone uses scripts for dynamically altering the page.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

what about trying to get an older nvidia gpu to go in sli/crossfire (what do i even call it) with an AMD gpu

29 minutes ago, TheLegendaryBeacon said:

what do i even call it

You don't, not possible, even if the principle is the same the implementation is different

F@H

GPD Win 2

10 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

A user base of 100 million would be about 2%, so actually not all that much.

we have incredibly different measures of what is or isn't a lot of 2% browser share is not much to you. That would make it more popular than Opera

6 minutes ago, poochyena said:

we have incredibly different measures of what is or isn't a lot of 2% browser share is not much to you. That would make it more popular than Opera

My main point was that you don't know whether 100M downloads represent unique (and active) users. So 2% is a best case scenario. And even if they are more popular than Opera, being more popular than last place still isn't popular.

I know browser usage stats aren't always that reliable, but for example if you go to Statista and disable all browsers except Opera and Puffin (otherwise they are so small as to be invisible) you can see that e.g. in Jul'19 Puffin had 0.1% and Opera had 0.33%. After Jul'19 Puffin isn't even listed anymore and Opera is down to 0.2% in Mar'20.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Test the performance of GPU passthrough to a Windows Virtual Machine, so that Linux gamers can have the best of both worlds.
So, one GPU for Linux (host), and a separate GPU for the Windows VM.  Could try mixing up AMD and Nvidia cards, etc etc.

The goal here is to find if there's a significant drop in performance between dual booting, and GPU passthrough.

Some research links to make your lives easier:

Not sure how reliable/safe that YouTube link is though...  However the Arch Wiki is trustworthy

Edited by Qwerty-space
Warning/disclaimer

what if you guys did one or multiple of those amazon returns computer bulk orders or some sort of bulk orders and see if you can actually get a good pc out of it or make a competition out of it with multple bulk orders and see who can make the best pc out of the returned bulk order parts and also would tell people of those bulk order are a good gamble. 

one thing i havent seen a video for or seen used in videos are precision electric screwdrivers. i love using mine at work its very handy when i spend 10+ hours taking electronics apart everyday. i would love to see a video of testing different one and see what the group thinks of them. https://www.amazon.com/Ruputas-Precision-Screwdriver-Rechargeable-Electronics/dp/B07DB7ZT5P/ref=sr_1_2?crid=181VCGCGVCE09&dchild=1&keywords=precision+electric+screwdriver&qid=1590035663&sprefix=precision+electr%2Caps%2C214&sr=8-2 is just one of many on amazon alone you could do some of the really nice ones and even do another video with the knock offs from wish and stuff.

https://store.zappiti.com/en/home/3931-zappiti-nas-rip-4k-hdr.html

Media server Nas that rips and organized your movies with a slick looking interface. It is expensive, but is the convenience worth the price? It comes from France, so most of the the comments/review are in French. Anyone know a tech tuber that speak French and likes over-priced items? 

How about a video about multiplexing your network cards for faster speeds.

for example 

lets say you have 4 ethernet ports on your modem and 4 ethernet ports on your pc. Can you actually multiplex them for more speed/redundancy.

seeing as how new motherboards have two Or more ethernet ports now and that ISP’s are getting faster might make for interesting results 

Doesn't work unless both the devices specifically support it, so no

F@H

GPD Win 2

Hello, New to the LTT forums.

I watch your videos all the time and have learned lots from it, Thank you.

I have a LG gram 17 2020. and was thinking about upgrading the ram.

Some laptops in the market nowadays have only one ram slot for upgrading like the LG gram 2020.

I was wondering, whats the up/downside of having a 8gig onboard and upgrading the slot with a 16 gig, does it have to be at the same speed as the onboard? What if its not...

What kind of performance hit or improvement can you expect.

Question about dual-channel in this case... Go wild as you guys always do!

Thanks