Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Do you think you might be able to do a 500 dollar (AUD) full gaming set up build?

Idea for Channel Super Fun (Courtesy of Roobierut's Comment On THIS YT community post):

2 teams should try to shave a side of linus beard with 2 different sponsored shaving methods. Yvonne + the kids judge which team was best... 
Of course, that is after COVID-19 is over...
Again, Full credit goes to Roobierut's Comment On THIS YT community post... As stated on his second comment, 
"Also, anyone who wants to post this to the video suggestions topic on the forum, go ahead! I can't register for some reason"

image.png

NyFfofh97E.png

On 3/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Love the videos. How about you do and every single component water cooling project. Kind of like the all overclocking video

On 3/20/2019 at 10:24 PM, BuckGup said:

Hauwei Matebook X Pro

PiHole

Black Magic Pocket Cinema 4K

iGame GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Kudan

New Mac Mini for video editing and music production

Samsung LC49HG90DMNXZA

They already did Pihole

Can you do a review on the Razer's offering on casual over-ear headphones, the Razer Opus

They should do one on the EVOO gaming laptop. They already did one on the MOTILE and it was a good deal and I picked up one of these and it was a good deal as well! High Recommend! 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Laptop-FHD-Windows-Black-Intel-Nvidia-Display-i7-9750H-RTX-16GB-Tuned-1TB-10-2060-THX-Memory-Home-144Hz-9th-SSD-EVOO-Gen-Spatial-17-Audio-Gaming/163944363

I've got an HP Omen 17t "gaming" laptop and the CPU is only at 2.2 Ghz. What if we water cooled it so we can overclock it? There's space inside to fit a tiny pump and tubing. My CPU temps sit at 85 and hit 90 so I think it needs to be cooled. I've seen someone do this but they left the case open and ran tubes to an outside cooling fan. He connected the cooling to these two thick tubes meant for cooling. I want everything to fit inside the case. It's possible but if we ran into any snags, we can build some kind of attachment on the back of the computer. It has a really fat base so it can be slim and hidden. I have a question too. If you had sufficient cooling, do you even need a water reservoir? The water in the pipes should be enough and at the end of the day, anything is better than the CPU sitting at 90. Even without the overclocking, cooling would help a lot. 

Sounds like a cool video concept, would you guys watch it? Water cooling a gaming laptop?!?!?!

Putting internal water cooling would be less efficient than improving air cooling in the same available volume. 

Watercooling only allows moving heat somewhere else for dissipation, if you're not going to want to bring it to a place where it can be dissipated better it's useless and a waste of space.

They've already done a "watercooling a gaming laptop" but the same way you describe by bringing tubes out to an external rad becasue it's the only thing that makes sense.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Now that Linus has a TI-84 Plus CE (shown in the graphing calculator overclocking video), maybe we can have a proper review and benchmarks of it?

Post with details about suggestion:

Yes. A suggestion I did made it into a video (techquicky IIRC), an issue about value for money on mainboards. The video didn't follow my suggestion precisely, but adhered to the line of thought I had, so.... ;)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Hey everyone,

I was thinking that a cool video for Linus Tech Tips to do would be watercooling a GrandMA2 or GrandMA3 lighting desk! Let me know if you guys like this idea or have any questions!

Linksys WiFi 6 System

Linksys MX5 Velop AX Whole Home WiFi 6 System

https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-MX5300/

Linksys MX10 Velop AX Whole Home WiFi 6 System

https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-MX10600/

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

First off Love the show, great place for honest information about products I can trust.   

Have you thought about doing more contest episodes?  Everyone on the show even backstage seem very likable and would do well on camera, and I think the small amount of friendly conflict would be fun. I hope you like my off the shoulder impromptu to idea and can run with it.

Big Fan
Jason R
Edited by SansVarnic
fixed formating

I watched the video about that new GPD "laptop" yesterday and couldn't watch any more after three minutes because of all the penis jokes. You're not fucking 12 anymore.

Hi Linus Team big Fan here. 

Since most of school and learning are moving online, the would be a problem with household that have only limited number of laptop/computer/smartphone for each children to use to participate in online class. 

I would like to suggest a video tutorial which enable 2 people to use one laptop/computer somewhat  independently with relatively easy steps. I have found the easiest way to do this  is via virtual machine with some modification to enable mouse and keyboard to be use independent from VM and host. 

They only need 

1. Extra monitor or TV

2. Extra Keyboard and Mouse 

3. VMplayer Free?

4. Modification as per this kb https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1033435

5. For the virtual machine, a resource friendly linux OS would be perfect for this project. 

Via this steps household can double their concurrent computer user without actually spending the money to buy each and every one laptop/computer. 

Thanks.

Hakim 

There have been many scrapyard wars, but all running window. It is time to pull an apple skip scrapyard wars 9 and go straight to scrapyard wars X featuring Ijustine and MKBHD where they have to build a hackintosh for video editing. 

Hey, I came across one of the many questions which might be hard to answer for a regular person, and everyone seems to have an opinion on, with or without any actual proof. I have recently bought a new laptop, however, the pre-loaded software was quite out of date. The updating process took multiple hours and even week later I found out that some drivers and things are not up to date. Now the dilemma is: Should I use the manufacturer (OEM, Lenovo in my case) provided drivers, or rather update to newer stock drivers (right now its Intel)? Is there any performance difference or are you loosing system stability or features?

With my old laptop Dell XPS 13 9360, I was forced to use the stock Intel drivers, because the Dell provided ones were so out of date that the newer win 10 versions broke the display brightness control. Stock Intel drivers solved this issue, however, it might just have been an unlucky generation of XPS 13s... (the issue was quite wide spread)

It would be great to see a video made about this topic. :) Keep up the great work!

Another idea:

Is it possible to achieve more cooling power if we cool the back of the motherboard?
It might be strange, but in a logical sense the heat spreads to every direction, so I was thinking it would be only logical if the motherboard had some cooling capabilities in the back. I then remembered a couple of videos trying to achieve better passive cooling from TechTablets.com with cooling tape and foil to dissipate the heat from the CPU.
Is it possible to do so? Maybe you could do it by trials, for example with only the cooling tape and a foil, then switching the foil with a heatsink, and then adding a fan to the heatsink. What do you think?

TechTablets.com videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhtgUHZYjZ8 (Chuwi Lapbook 14.1 / Lapbook 12.3 Copper Heatsink Mod Lower Max Temps By 25 Degrees!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOd-ZI9YbMU (Cube Mix Plus Copper Heat Sink Mod - Lowers Temps 20 Degrees C!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPTp_PgyJbI  (Teclast F7 Plus Copper Heatsink Mod - Lower Temps Up To 25 Degrees C)

2 hours ago, thisiswylify said:

Should I use the manufacturer (OEM, Lenovo in my case) provided drivers, or rather update to newer stock drivers (right now its Intel)? Is there any performance difference or are you loosing system stability or features?

I always use stock apart from GPU, unless there is no generic driver at all.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Can you please do something about, or to bring awareness and attention from Motherboard manufacturers, especially Asus, over using Loctite to seal M.2 heatsink screws which are meant to be removable to install M.2 drives?

I currently had to return my Z490 board to have the retailer remove one screw for me, not realizing that there were two more underneath for the bottom M.2 slot, but while I was able to remove them I found Loctite RED on one of them, which is meant to be used to make permanent unbreakable bonds. On a previous Asus Z390 I was fully unable to remove the screws on the M2 heatsink even after cooking it on the hob to weakwn any glue, and using pliers to grip and open a screw.

Firstly here is a picture of Loctite red used on a current M.2 heatsink screw on my Azus Z490:

kGqUcNp.jpg

Here is a photo of the screws on my Asus Z390 that would not come off even after cooking them, even with pliers / rubber band / all the solutions and tricks found online:

fpKJ3rB.jpg

Also I sent both these photos as uploads to Imgur and direct image links to Asus support as part of a letter threatening to make a small court claim - so they complained to Imgur and had my images removed, as though I didnt still have them in my sent messages outbox.

Here on Reddit is my current thread trying to discuss this:

By simply googling 'Asus M.2 Screw Stuck', you can easily find possibly over a hundred cases of this, most of which are on ROG forums:

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&hs=0zF&sxsrf=ALeKk02bhegfmtWudp3i1CF6lV7FhiIqaw%3A1590728993543&ei=IZnQXurcIIWU1fAPt8KaqAQ&q=asus+m.2+screw+stuck&oq=asus+&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAxgAMgQIIxAnMgQIIxAnMgQIIxAnMggIABCRAhCLAzIKCAAQFBCHAhCLAzIKCAAQFBCHAhCLAzIFCAAQiwMyBwgAEEMQiwMyBQgAEIsDMgUIABCLAzoFCAAQgwE6AggAOgoIABCDARAUEIcCUKTqM1j_7jNgxvkzaABwAHgAgAFaiAHTApIBATWYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6uAED&sclient=psy-ab

Other than making a small court claim myself which I will be doing and it only costs me £35 to do so, I cannot make or afford, and I doubt anyone else is going to, a full civil litigation of any kind to stop Asus in particular from using the RED version of Loctite on their M.2 heatsink screws. I've had a Gigabyte Z390 in between my 2 Asus boards and every screw came off with ease and only used Loctite blue, as I am sure is the case with all the other non Asus brands. However from my personal experience, non Asus boards do not overclock my CPU or Ram anywhere near as well, so I have to continue to struggle with my M.2 cover screws having permanently sealing loctite RED on them. 

Hello, this is just for informational video suggestion. I think it would be such a great idea if the team could create another video about the ASUS ROG Phone but this time it's gonna be about Overclocking it, tweaking it or better yet water cooling it . 

I would like to see 6 editors 1 cpu reborn with a thread ripper 399X instead of the dual 8180s in a rack mount system 

1 rack for the cpu and storage 1 for pci cards and 1 for GPUS then you could just run a cable snake directly into the editing den then the whole system would be backed up by the UPS making loosing power less of a problem. Im happy to help with this project all you need :) feel free to contact me anytime. 

I emailed you recently about this so my email is there 

Thanks George

On 5/16/2020 at 2:10 AM, 777GE90 said:
I'll make this quick:
  • I have an old i7 3770K build that is almost 8 years old now, my AMD 7970 struggles to render games on my new 144 Hz 2560 x 1440 screen (even on the lowest graphic settings).
  • It feels like it's not worth upgrading my GPU to a 2080 Ti because my CPU would probably bottle neck it (probably?).
  • So I designed a new build that costs £3000 (in Candian that's $TOOMUCH) with a Ryzen 9 and 2080 Ti.
  • Before I empty my bucket of cash into this build, I wonder whether I am being a fool and should just buy a 2080 Ti and stick it in my rig.
So my video idea is, how about you get together some old builds and stick in some modern GPU's in them and compare them with brand new builds and find out exactly what the FPS difference is.  If it was something like just losing 10-20 FPS per game, then spending £1000 for a new 2080 Ti vs spending £3000 on a new build would be a no brainer.

I guess everyone has this problem to decide whether to upgrade or buy a new build, but no one really knows the real world difference in performance.

Help us find out Linus!

Thanks, love your videos and I have been watching since the NCIX days.

Not sure if the latest video is because of this or coincidence, but thanks that is very helpful.  It seems like I am going to have to empty my bucket on a new build.

so for maybe a informational video maybe talk about the different game store like epic game store, steam, microsoft and others and explain how there actually different and if there is any actual benifit by only buy on one or just buying from whitch ever has the best sale going on. im some what new to pc gaming and with help from your videos i built my first pc and havent looked back i only ever get on my consoles for specific games of games i just dont want to restart or rebuy. one things that my friends who play pc are always saying go with steam but then i look and see like example they want me to get borderlands 3 but been broke and epic if having a nice sale but people say dont get games from them that you can get on steam and no one can give a clear answer. being new and still learning the pc world i dont know if the game will run different or if there will be features missing supposeably that i have read like controller function certain game i do use a controller and some i mouse and keyboard more toward keyboard as i get use to it. might be dumb to recommened but i feel if i have this thought many others do as well.