Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
11 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Home Security Cameras.

I know this is not the usual for LTT but I get so many requests for recommendations (due to my previous career) I dont really like to recommend DIY as I dont keep up with the market. Can you do a video going over features, types and best brands to chose from.

Thanks

I would also like to see a comparison to those kits you can buy at a place like Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/8-Channel-Surveillance-DVR-with-4-HD-Cameras-and-Mobile-Monitoring-Capabilities-63890.html

I have no doubt in my mind their shit. But who knows? The reviews are always rave but is that because they are people who might not know any better?

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

How about a review of older gpu's which are still powerful at 2020???

Gamer, Coder, Tech Lover and Also a Student 😑

Instagram: @roxwrld

Hello LTT!

I have a video idea for benchmarking and comparing CPUs in an area of use which, I don't remember ever seeing on the channel and I think would be very helpful for many game developers like me.

I'm an indie game developer. I'm using Unity and my 3-4 years old "not bad at that time" rig starts to struggle with my game project. I'm considering the fact, that investing into a new machine could improve my workflow, lower my wait times, but I don't know how much, for how much money. It would be really great if You could present a video in which You compare multiple CPUs in some Unity workflows and jobs, how much they can beat older CPUs, and which modern/new CPU should a rig-builder choose for these tasks.

I have an i7 6700k, so I would be happy to see it in the comparison charts, but it would be great with any other similarly "old" CPUs, even older or even mid-range or notebook CPUs could be interesting for indie dev folks. How much a new CPU can beat onto these older or mid-range CPUs? One of my main question is: should I go red or blue with a new machine? New high-range Intel or AMD performs better in these workflows? Luxury and workstation CPU performances (like Threadripper and stuff) could be exciting as well, however these are "above my paygrade", so I'm not very interested in these CPUs (of course, this is LTT, so they must be on the charts lol).

The workflows and tasks I'm interested in requires a bigger Unity project. Maybe the official Viking village ( https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/tutorial-projects/viking-village-29140 ) could be a good start, but a bigger project would be even better (which, sadly I cannot provide).

• I'm interested in the speed of Progressive CPU lightmapping into 4k textures with the highest lightmap settings. (I know there is a preview GPU lightmapper, but it requires insane amount of GPU memory, so still I think CPU lightmap is the way to go). For scenes (maps/levels) in my game, this can take up from 1 to 5-6 hours depending on the scene size and complexity. Turn off "auto gereration" and do generation manually.
  • Switch speed between platforms. When You want to compile for a different platform (like moving from Windows to Android), You need to do a platform switch in Unity. To do this, Unity "reimports" the project in the correct format for that platform. For a bigger project sometimes this could take even an hour (on my rig), and it should be done every time when You want to compile for a different platform (so in a multi-platform project You do this very often, switching back-and-forth between platforms). After multiple switches it starts to speed up, but it still very long (Unity probably caching something in the project's Library folder, so I think a quit-delete-restart should be done before every benchmark for this workflow).
  • The last workflow that I'm interested in is the project compilation and build itself. I usually compile for Windows x64 and Android (latter is much-much longer) with IL2CPP, full/high managed and shader stripping. Unchecking "Auto Graphics APIs" and adding multiple APIs could make the shader compilations even longer. For my project this could take around 10-20 minutes for Windows and 30-60 minutes for Android. Again, I think Unity is caching stuff into the Library folder, because subsequent builds are faster, so quit-delete-restart could be required for this benchmark as well.

Thats it! I'm mainly interested in Unity (especially in 2019.4.1f1 or newer versions on this branch), but probably the same workflows could be found in Unreal as well, if You're more into that.

If You're doing this, then probably You should search for a Unity .gitignore, because Unity caches a lots of stuff. .gitignore can give You a hint what can You delete safely in the project between benchmarks. Nowadays Unity is implementing multiple Scriptable Render Pipelines (SRP), like HDRP and URP, and there is the original Standard pipeline as well. I'm using URP, but I don't know if there are any differences between these SRPs regarding of processing times. I think You should just choose one of them (or just use what Your benchmark project uses by default). Comparing SRPs shouldn't be the goal of this video, just be sure that You're using the same SRP during Your tests in all of Your projects.

Thanks for reading!

Best Regards,
Dávid Szabó - Sasasoft

Get a video signal through the most adapters possible.

ie Display port to VGA, VGA, to DVI, DVI to HDMI, HDMI to Display port etc.

inspired by listening to a desktop support guy at my work trying to explain different video ports and adapters to a clueless staff member.

I would love to see a remake of the 7 gamers, 1 cpu video, I imagine it would be a great workload for the newer threadripper processors, The 28 cores of old vs 64 on a single die.

On 3/21/2019 at 2:05 PM, Fluxcabury said:

Linus vs all Editors best pc for under £1000

as he sayd something like scrapyard wars

Can you do a video on what Apple’s transition to ARM powered processors means for existing Mac users? Are they gonna screw us over and leave us with Intel powered pieces of metal?! What happened to Mac users last time they switched from PowerPC to Intel?

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Do as I say, not as I do. the ultimate build non-guide.

>Basically, how much can you mess up before your pc is actually broken ?
I'm thinking wool socks while shuffling on a carpet. no grounds. (and other ways to badly build a pc)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I'd love to see a video on Microsoft Flight Simulator. It's shaping up to be one of 2020's biggest releases, and the sim has an incredible history. A video on both the upcoming release and history of MSFS overall would definitely excite the flight sim fans among us! Many older versions will still run on Windows 10!

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

upgrading everything except 10 year

old motherboard

Review of this TV/monitor - Philips 558M1RY, it's getting close to the ideal TV you designed 2 years ago:

- DP 1.4, 3xHDMI 2.0

- HDR1000 certified VA panel with 4ms response time

- USB 4-port powered hub

- VESA Adaptive Sync (48-120Hz)

- Bowers&Wilkins dedicated speaker bar

- claims low input lag

It doesn't seem to be available in US/Canada, I can only find different models on the Philips CA (and US) website: https://www.philips.ca/c-p/436M6VBPAB_27/momentum-4k-hdr-display-with-ambiglow

My heart belongs to AMD but that doesn't mean I furiously hate Intel or NVIDIA :)

MAIN RIG AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac | MSI HD7950 OC 3GB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 2666MHz (Samsung D-Die) | ADATA SX8200 480GB NVMe SSD & Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD & WD Black 500GB | Sharkoon QB One

LAPTOP Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (14ARE05) - AMD Ryzen 5 4500U | AMD Vega 8 (Renoir) | 16GB RAM | SKHynix PC601 512GB (OEM) | 1080p 300nit non-touch display

Upgrade a gigabyte GA G31M ES2L motherboard and nothing old than that

10k gaming but updated with the Titan RTX cards instead of the quadro's. (10k because it could work unlike 16k, probably?).

A NVIDIA Engineer In His Spare Time Wrote A Vulkan Driver That Works On Older Raspberry Pi

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=RPi-VK-Driver

github repo: https://github.com/Yours3lf/rpi-vk-driver

i would like to see this tested/reviewed.... maybe another anthony project... 

would love to see wether or not it has improved the pis graphical processing or not. 

real world and in benchmarks....

thanks guys. 

192 Gamers, 1 CPU

Thought this might make for an interesting video to follow up to your 8 Gamers 1 CPU

Premise: AMD MXGPU's enable a single GPU to be partitioned into several virtual ones. GPU's that support this include, s7150, s7150x2 and s7100x. This relies on "SR-IOV" and "Above 4G" options in bios (No licencing needed). Using a supported Hypervisor (ESXi, KVM) you can use the AMD MXGPU driver to partition the GPU for pass-through to many VMs.

Option 1: Use a s7150 or s7150x2. This has been seen on L1techs, nothing too crazy.

Option 2: Holy Sh%t Balls. Use 3 x AMD s7100x GPUs per HP pcie add-in card from a G8 series blade server.

The s7100x is a MXM 3.0b GPU (AKA Laptop GPU form factor) it is designed for blade clusters and high density. 

HP makes an interesting PCIe add-in card that enables 3 x MXM 3.0b cards to share a single x16 slot via an onboard PCIe switch. (HP 716553-001 MXM PCIe Gen8)

This means that you could have up-to 3 x s7100x GPU's per add-in card, and up-to 8 add-in cards on a motherboard like the Asus Z10PE-D8-WS (onboard ASPEED VGA for Hypervisor).

This gives you a maximum of 192 partitioned GPU's each with 1Gb of vRAM. Given that each VM will need a few CPU cores for gaming, I would probably partition each s7100x into 2 GPUs, each with 4GB of vRAM. Using dual E5-2697v4's you can assign 3 vCPU's (2 Physical and 1 HTT) to each VM. 

This gives you 48 VM's each with 3 Cores and 4GB vRAM.

Budget: Each s7100x is ~$150usd, the HP card is ~$300usd. Total is ~$6,000usd

Tips: Use the power cables from the old HP Gen8 blades that have 3 x Tesla m2070q. The Tesla gpus are useless now days, but the cables will adapt from EPS 12v to the HP add-in card as well as from an 8 pin PCIe to EPS 12v for the HP add-in card. Otherwise you will need to make your own power cables. I've been using a PCIe ribbon cable as my case doesn't have enough room for the HP add-in card to fit. It hasn't caused any issues yet. I've had a play with it on my 2 x AMD s7100x GPUs using the HP add-in card and the 16 VMs work pretty well.

I could see this as a ltt video, but it might be better suited for channelsuperfun: a bake off competition (probably cookies) that need to be baked into the shape of and decorated like Stealth hoodies. This is based off of linus’s claim that he would eat his Stealth hoodie (lttstore.com) if there was no ltx2020.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Since the release of Windows 10 back in 2015 have the numerious Windows updates made our computers better or Slower? 

If you had bought a 'balls to the wall' ultimate gaming rig ready for Windows 10 is that computer still able to run the same games from 2015 up to the same standard OR has the Windows updates made upgrades a must??

I have been wondering this for a few days and was interested in finding out! I know Windows updates patch flaws in the OS and gives us extra functionality but at what cost?

Could be interesting to run actual numbers, but for the record I run latest W10 on hardware from way before it even came out, oldest being a 2008 Core 2 Quad Q8200 and as long as you use an SSD and have enough RAM it runs perfectly fine.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

What motherboard to get right now

Recently someone implemented Rollback Netcode for Super Smash Brothers Melee using a modified version of the Dolphin Emulator. This can be found on the site slippi.gg.

Because of this, Smash Bros. fans finally get the thing they have always wanted. A good online system.

The Melee community would really appreciate a video showcasing options for a "Portable Netplay Machine".

This would need a 120Hz screen, a dedicated GPU that supports the settings mentioned on the site, at least 1 USB Type A port for a GameCube controller adapter, and optionally an Ethernet port. The Ethernet port is optional since adapters can be used for that one I guess, and for a portable station I would assume WiFi is being used most of the times.

This could even potentially be a mini build with bare minimum specs and a small external monitor.

It's worth pointing out the Melee community is used to playing on small CRT TVs, so screen size isn't too important. While a large screen is nice, a 13in laptop screen works in this case.

I think this would be a great opportunity to talk about netcode (maybe a separate video on a separate channel), and point out machines for a niche community.

Hey guys i saw one video at Adam Savage's youtube channel called Refrigerated Cooling Suits.I think it is a worth a shot using same technics to cool of cpu or cpu+gpu.I would like to try this but i do not have that kind of machines and machinery stuff.Maybe @LinusTech you can try.Also i know you guys have kinda similar thing with big size of cooling parts but it is always cooler when you see the all parts in the case.

PC in a Fridge v2?

PC in a Mini Fridge was actually the first LTT video I ever watched and I was interested if we can see a V2, maybe with help from Brian the Electrician (because he now does refrigeration) and Alex or Colin? 

How about showing how to create a good fan curve for your CPU cooler and case fans (maybe different for intake and exhaust?) in the UEFI or using other software (with Linux support!) that is quiet but also will cool your CPU.