Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Hello. Only found out your videos a while ago, and then bingewatched them for hours (and even disabled adblock to sponsor you more; a very rare occasion). I saw you using many cooling solutions out there, BUT:

Why wasting the heat? You have a home, you have maybe even a server at home, and you cool the server. But then you also use energy to heat up the water. So instead of wasting the heat, a solution where you not only have a very good cooling solution, but also are able to heat up water. There are already solutions out there, but maybe a more technical review in this kind would be nice.

Because Server all over the world are right now blowing out energy out the buildings, Some big server farms manage to do this, but is this also fearsible for a smaller company or maybe even for your home? Because saving energy not only save cost, money but also is good for the world.

Who knows: in the future we no longer heat with gas or oil, instead we all heat at home with the cloud!

17 minutes ago, Velerio said:

Who knows: in the future we no longer heat with gas or oil, instead we all heat at home with the cloud!

I can’t find it to link it right now, but they did this. They tried to heat a house using a gaming pc.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Thing is in most places you don't actually want to heat your house all year, but you do need hot water all year.

However making hot water would require your components to run impractically hot without adding a heat pump.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Ive seen this on loads of youtube ad's, it claims to instantly increase wifi speeds and stop your isp from throttling them.

https://get-wifi-x.com/

is this legit, you debunked the xtra pc myth, could you tell us whats going on here. 

1 hour ago, jstechman said:

Ive seen this on loads of youtube ad's, it claims to instantly increase wifi speeds and stop your isp from throttling them.

https://get-wifi-x.com/

is this legit, you debunked the xtra pc myth, could you tell us whats going on here. 

Hi, to answer your question https://www.trustpilot.com/review/get-wifi-x.com

it's a scam.

Trying out strange stuff on the internet which might be useful (or not) for us

Idea --- Using another complete system just without a GPU and connecting it to other systems PCI express slot and using it as the GPU

Is it possible

?

35 minutes ago, Garvit13 said:

Idea --- Using another complete system just without a GPU and connecting it to other systems PCI express slot and using it as the GPU

Is it possible

?

That is not how CPUs and PCIE lanes work. Also, there is also no protocol that can do that. So, no.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Hello,

So I had emailed you guys and someone refered me here, so I'll post it here.

This may seem crazy but could you make a video or a livestream on a 'budget Intel cpu pc build' (by budget I mean ~500- 800 USD with at least a 10th gen core i5).

I know that the world( or most of the people in it who actually care about this stuff) is shifting toward AMD Ryzen line-up but some of us would still want an intel pc. And again there is plethora of videos on AMD ryzen builds so I'm asking you guys to this. Thanks.

Side note: If possible let the motherboard have built in WiFi capabilities.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

linux and developer oriented scrapyard wars

can you guys do a video testing and validating the difference of using CCA cat 6 vs full copper cat 6 ethernet cable...listing out everything from packet drops, signal loss, link speed test, signal attenuation...for most common cable length, 1ft, 5ft, 10ft, 20ft, 30ft, 50ft, 100ft

I hope this comment reaches Linus, it's about the Linus Torvalds machine he has built.

I don't know how your build took that long, but probably because it's a Live image running from a USB Stick!
I just finished building the latest Linux Kernel 5.7.7 on my Convertible ultrabook HPEnvyX360 with the 8-cores 15W Ryzen 7 4700U and it finished in just 2 Minutes 53 Seconds :D
I used this command (8 parallel threads)
$ time make -j 8 defconfig bzImage modules 
and this is the time command output
real    2m53,190s

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I build custom Linux systems on different hardware architectures for living 😉

Laptop: HP Envy x360 convertible 13-ay0xxx / Ryzen 7 4700U / 16G 3200MHZ RAM

Desktop: ASRock B450M Pro4 / Ryzen 7 1700X / Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE / Corsair Vengeance LPX Kit 16GB, DDR4-2666MHz / Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD - 500GB / Thermaltake TR2 S - 450W / Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-05 Case

When I copy data from my laptop's internal hard drive to an external hard drive connected to a USB 3.0 port, it transfers at fairly slow speeds of maybe around 20 MB/s. When I copy data from that same external hard drive to another identical external hard drive connected to another USB 3.0 port right next to it, it transfers at much higher speeds of around 105 MB/s, which is much closer to the maximum speed these drives are capable of. These are Seagate Backup Plus Portable 5 TB drives, by the way.

Make a video explaining why the data transfer from the internal drive to the external drive is so much slower. You can include other useful related information as well, just things to look out for when it comes to optimizing the storing and transferring of data like this. You know, for the simple people who can't afford large storage arrays.

Is one of the drives close to full? These are SMR drives, they'll be slow when there's no more cache.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Is one of the drives close to full? These are SMR drives, they'll be slow when there's no more cache.

Hmmm... good question. How would you define almost full though. I have one 5 TB drive which has only about 35 GB free space left, which is the fullest of the drives. Another one is just over half full. The laptop's 1 TB internal drive is partioned into a 300 GB and a 630 GB section, the first of which was perhaps 90% full earlier today but is now about 20% full, and the latter is currently about 80% full. The behavior has been fairly constant though throughout the time I've been using them. Would it be the drive written to or the drive read from for which the cache would matter in this case?

The drive written to, unless the one you read from is terribly fragmented. If the slow drive only has 35GB free then it's not a surprise. An SMR drive is going to be choking at that point. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

The drive written to. If the slow drive only has 35GB free then it's not a surprise.

That's not the drive I'm writing to though. :)

I'm reading from internal and transferring to external. Sometimes I transfer from external to external, just to organize things differently. Drives which are almost full are not the ones being written to in these situations, so most of the time, data is transferring from a fuller drive to a less full drive.

Also the speed of a drive, particularly external with default settings will slow drastically if you're writing lots of small files instead of few big ones, so maybe you wrote different types of things on each?

anyway if it's been writing at 20MB/s from the start then that should have made you tick that it's likely faulty.

F@H

GPD Win 2

18 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Also the speed of a drive, particularly external with default settings will slow drastically if you're writing lots of small files instead of few big ones, so maybe you wrote different types of things on each?

anyway if it's been writing at 20MB/s from the start then that should have made you tick that it's likely faulty.

I don't really want to hijack this thread. But the transfers are slow when transferring from internal to external and fast when transferring from external to external. I've got three of these drives and I've noticed the same behavior with all of them, as well as with my stepdaughters external drive. The files are probably around 1.5 GB a piece at the smallest, so they probably don't fall in the "small" category. I was thinking along the lines of the way the data is routed inside the laptop, or maybe the internal drive is just a slow-ass piece of crap

I should really do a test for this some time. Maybe prepare a folder with like 100-200 GB worth of the same file just with different names, store it on the internal drive, copy it to various external drives, transfer between the external drives, copy back to the internal drive, compare the results. I won't be able to do it for a while though, probably at least for a week, as the laptop is currently tied up running a scan on one of my stepdaughter's drives in an attempt to recover the data because somehow this drive lost its file storage system. By the time all that is done though, I will also have a fourth brand new drive, which will be perfect for testing. If I do get around to it, I'll create a thread with the results and tag you there.

10 hours ago, Intel Fanboy said:

Here's an idea for Linus: It would be great to see a video on how much math is involved in the tech industry. There's a ton of calculus involved in technology and engineering. mostly calculus. It would be cool to see a video on how much math is involved in technology, because I don't think people realize how much calculus and math is in tech and engineering. I'm a masters degree in mechanical engineering, so I know. It would be cool to see a video on how much math is in tech. 

How do you quantify "how much math" is in "tech"? Is it 10 math? Maybe even... 11 math? 🤔

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

How do you quantify "how much math" is in "tech"? Is it 10 math? Maybe even... 11 math? 🤔

Probably 12.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Cheap e gpu unit comparison for laptops.