Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
1 hour ago, Poet129 said:
Step 8
Go to a windows client and experience the cloud at its full potential.

Uh... samba is terribly inappropriate for going over an internet connection.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

30 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Uh... samba is terribly inappropriate for going over an internet connection.

It's not going over the Internet just the local network.

Ah yep, you're syncing it to a local machine and then sharing that. But then that's not what most people use a cloud service for, they do it precisely to have the data available locally on each machine...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

47 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Ah yep, you're syncing it to a local machine and then sharing that. But then that's not what most people use a cloud service for, they do it precisely to have the data available locally on each machine...

It would be accessible to every machine on the network and at modern speeds that's 1 gigabit to 10 gigabit. Which is very fast. Having it on every machine is a waste of space.

A budget around 800 dollar pc build guide with b550 amd third gen cpu and navi graphics card for content creation

A 800 dollar pc build guide with b550 amd third gen cpu and navi graphics card for content creation

How about making your own front panel display which can accurately report things like CPU and GPU temperatures, fan speeds and other performance related features one might be interested in. And maybe to add some fun to it, make it possible to display Youtube videos on it for while working on "serious stuff" using the main computer display(s).

My colleague and me just had this idea to improve cooling on his new gaming notebook, but we don't have the money to do that.

What if you modified the builtin cooling solution to be hybrid air/water blocks like the blocks some graphics cards are equipped with?

You could rely on air cooling while on the go and connect the watercooling when gaming at home for maximum performance.

I think using quickconnects (and probably some caps to prevent dirt from entering the loop) would actually work fine.

I'd really like to see a proof of concept on your channel 🙂

1 hour ago, pacmanTRT said:

You could rely on air cooling while on the go and connect the watercooling when gaming at home for maximum performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWg0ZoJcD0A

F@H

GPD Win 2

Liked the DIY custom mechanical keyboard videos. Any thoughts to doing a full hardwired keyboard run off a teensy 2.0?

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-9-fan-cooler-is-so-massive-it-could-make-hell-freeze-over/

Excerpt:

Alphacool has launched a new line of "NexXxoS" liquid cooling radiators, and each of the five models are absolute units. As in, if King Kong were to build a PC, this is the cooling line he would use. Or if God decided it was time to turn Hell into a block of ice, again, these would be the tools for the job. Or... well, you get the idea. They're gargantuan.

The one pictured up top is the XT45 Full Copper 1260mm SuperNova, a massive radiator with room for up to nine 140mm cooling fans, or four 200mm fans if you flip it over. Or none at all. This thing offers so much surface area (441 x 422 x 48 mm), Alphacool says you can skip the fans altogether and run it passively.

Just now, MARCO K said:

thriftshop builds

Watch scrapyard wars. Basically that but on a time restraint and in a competition

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

yeah yeah i know

but is different.

no shops no craiglist etc

just 100-200 dollar budget and one day

only in used shops like thriftshops and flea market

cheapo

As I Posted in News already:

Club 3D (Dutch Adapter Maker) will release end of June (12 days) a Display Port 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 Adpapter for 69 (nice),99.
This way Linus could play on his LG C9 in his home at 4k@120hz@HDR if he has a GPU with display compression (DSC 1.2) - so a RTX or AMD Navi
or I could play on My LG C955 inch in 4k@120hz
(no HDR) on my GTX 1060 6GB (not officaly supported)

Would be super exited about a video, also to find out if LG C9 Series really delivers 4k@120hz. And how it works on "Older" GPUs like my 1060 6GB.

So far no good english speaking artikles, here one in german:

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-06/club3d-cac-1085-adapter/

English Product page:

https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2496/displayport_1.4_to_hdmi_4k120hz_hdr_active_adapter_m-f/

69 Euroes and a afternoon at Linus home for a video I think is not too bad.

Hi, I enjoy watching your show everyday.

One thing I'm interested to watch is water cooling an old rack server,

1) with an external radiator located outside of the building

2) tubing should be detachable with quick connect,

3) use a big car radiator

4) dump the car radiator in a swimming pool or a big bin of water, and let evaporation do its job. No fans.

This is actually what I want to do with mine, to reduce noise, temperature, and electricity bills.

But want the professionals like you to do it first, so that I can know the pitfalls in advance.

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, thomasjameswynn said:

Another video suggestion - a tour of the whole studio.

They have some from a few years ago on YouTube. I think they have some new ones available on floatplane.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Video idea: Budget 120hz freesync TV

You should really do a vid on a best budget gaming 120hz tv, I have a Samsung Q60R (2019 model) and it supports real 120hz @1080p and 1440p with freesync support. All models from 55" upwards from 2019 support 120hz and freesync while 2020 (Q60T) models no longer have support for those two, more expensive 2020 Q70T supports 120hz but without freesync.
Even cheaper option would be finding an older Q6R or RU8000, those also support 120hz but without freesync (afaik). It's still possible to find Q60R 65" for around $1000 and 55 model can be found for $600-700, amazing value if you're after 120hz freesync enabled tv!
Yes I know that those are edge lit but you have to sacrafice something, if that's a problem for anyone they can cash out 50% more for Q70R.

While it's nice to know that 4k 120hz tvs are comming 99% of us dont have the money to buy them or run games at that resolution at 120hz. There's even no GPU that can output that over HDMI.

Here are some specs of those two from my recommendation https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/86c0cd402

1. Computer Setup for children

• explain what computers the children of employees at LMG have
    • include the reasoning behind the parts, such as limitations from certain games and so on
    • are they themed? Do they have RGB?
  • explain what software is used on those computers
    • are they gaming only?
    • Do you use them as an alternative to a console by emulating games?
    • Do you use any specific OS, and why?
    • Do you use software to control access of your kids?
      • Timers, internet blacklists, etc.
  • Do you have any other hardware/software that focuses on parental control?
    • a separate Wifi with limited internet access?
    • a Network spy control tool?
    • special settings in router?
    • 3rd party DNS service?

2. Centralized home-computer-station

• Linus has a nice PC setup at home, but how would one be able to recreate it?
    • where does one get the server cases?
    • can any motherboard fit into a server case?
    • how big should the cases be?
    • are server-racks the best way to go?
  • are there any lessons that can be learned from Linus' setup?
    • it was mentioned just once, but apparently the glassfibre-connections weren't reliable?
    • are there better hardware solutions?
      • Connect via glassfibre or ethernet?
  • virtualize or not?
    • is it better to have one beefy server and virtual machines or two/three actual machines?
    • One GPU per system? Shared hardware?

ltt attempt number 2 to get onto the 3dmark leaderboard.

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

Part 2 of the ricer PC. What even happened to this project? I guess it's what I should expect from LTT, but it's still sad.

Another suggestion would be a series (although hopefully one that doesn't take 3 years) where (in each video) a member of the LMG crew builds a computer. I'd like to see Taran, Dennis, and Colten each try to assemble a PC. Riley would be amusing too.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

This might be more of a Short Circuit video, but a comparison of the new translation app from apple and other popular ones like google translate.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Home Security Cameras.

I know this is not the usual for LTT but I get so many requests for recommendations (due to my previous career) I dont really like to recommend DIY as I dont keep up with the market. Can you do a video going over features, types and best brands to chose from.

Thanks

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER