Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Do a review and screen replacement of the new ASUS TUF A15/A17 series of laptops.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Greetings! Love the channel you guys are fun to watch. I love the PC builds and reviews but I did notice a topic I feel could be explored.

PC Upgrades. Specifically when to up grade, how to upgraded and what to upgrade to.

With the currant state of the world I have found myself in PC heaven as a lot of friends and family need to rebuild and upgrade so they can work from home, do school from home or just to take up gaming to fill in the time. 

I have found myself for the most part replacing notebook mechanical drives from 2013 for an SSD and blowing people minds thinking I gave them back super computers.

I would be interested to see videos on upgrading popular builds from 5 years ago and how to get the most bang for buck and extending the life of a PC an other 5 years with just a few upgrades or at what point a notebook passes the point where it is no longer worth upgrading.

Keep up the great work guys and stay safe.

1 hour ago, YaHooligan said:

or at what point a notebook passes the point where it is no longer worth upgrading.

i can tell you the answer. 2009 or earlier don't bother, 2010 or later is worth it if it has an i5. 

the reason for that is that the mobile i5's came out in 2010, and even a 1st gen i5 system is very usable still. before that every laptop pretty much used Core 2 Duo's which were MUCH slower. 

Edited by Twilight
correction

She/Her

Improving overclock stability (and even getting a better overclock) with an online UPS

I've recently noticed that an overclock I have on my 9900k (5.2GHz @1.3v, NO AVX offset) was only ever stable when plugged into a (rather fancy?) UPS. I am by no means a UPS expert but I do understand the basic differences between a traditional UPS and an online UPS.

When your computer begins to pull more power from the wall, in game or stress testing, it is common for the voltage to drop as you increase your current draw. For some it may be higher than others, depending on the buildings electrical system and even beyond that. Now there's more that goes into play with this but just know that the standard ~120v (in the US) you expect to get usually isn't what you actually get. As I type this I'm getting about ~116v out of the wall into my UPS. It actually fluctuates quite a bit depending on if I'm playing a game or not, I've seen it dip below 110v.

I believe that this voltage drop can greatly effect your CPU overclock (and probably other components) because of the change in voltage going from a low current draw to a higher current draw introducing increased voltage drop. We commonly see and deal with this internally when overclocking calling it "voltage droop". But that's only the issue inside the system, not out.

Introducing the magic box called an online UPS! This specific type of UPS is very unique, in that the inverter from AC->DC and DC->AC is ALWAYS running. A typical UPS will only switch on it's DC->AC inverter once an external power failure is present. A traditional UPS is totally fine for most, not saying that it's bad.

So, an online UPS acts as a power conditioner and the 116v AC coming into my online UPS is converted to DC, and then back again from DC to AC. In doing this, the output of the UPS is a damn near perfect 120v @ 60hz feed at any current draw from my PC. I think this "clean" power is what helps my PSU remain stable in its operations and feeding cleaner power to my motherboard/cpu thus allowing me to achieve higher overclocks.

My UPS: CyberPower UPS OL1000RTXL2U

I don't have enough hardware to test this but I do think it could effect overclocks and stability that would make it advantageous for people to use. I tried to search more about LTT's Eaton UPS to see if it was online but I couldn't find the exact model. A fair bit of server UPS's are online as they are typically used for mission critical application. I also tried to search around online and have not seen this test.

Would love to see LTT explore this possibility of online UPS's increasing overclocks and or stability.

Fulladorn

VR Motion Sickness Cures

I've  been seening this add a bunch of places recently (facebook..some other sites) for this electric wrist band thing that takes care of motion sickness for VR users. (see pics).

I'm curious if it works, and thought, HEY, LMG has VR enthusiasts and the ability to get review samples and do reviews! :D

Could be done with several different "cures"... I've heard this electric thing is just a fancy version of a diving wrist band.  I've heard eating ginger helps (Mythbusters tested motion sickness cures, and it was the one they said was best)... (I do have a bunch of candied ginger, ginger ale, and ginger cookies to try when I get my VR gear set back up).

Screenshot 2020-04-20 18.14.48.png

Screenshot 2020-04-20 18.14.41.png

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

17 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

VR Motion Sickness Cures

I've  been seening this add a bunch of places recently (facebook..some other sites) for this electric wrist band thing that takes care of motion sickness for VR users. (see pics).

I'm curious if it works, and thought, HEY, LMG has VR enthusiasts and the ability to get review samples and do reviews! :D

Could be done with several different "cures"... I've heard this electric thing is just a fancy version of a diving wrist band.  I've heard eating ginger helps (Mythbusters tested motion sickness cures, and it was the one they said was best)... (I do have a bunch of candied ginger, ginger ale, and ginger cookies to try when I get my VR gear set back up).

Screenshot 2020-04-20 18.14.48.png

Screenshot 2020-04-20 18.14.41.png

It's probably the same as the old copper magnet wrist bands for sea-sickness, jack shit.

We ever going to get more camera content with Brandon?

updated studio tour?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

16 hours ago, Bitter said:

It's probably the same as the old copper magnet wrist bands for sea-sickness, jack shit.

they apparnatly press on a nerve that does something.

Anyway, I'm curious if they work, but don't have the $100-200 to get one to test

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

1 hour ago, Video Beagle said:

they apparnatly press on a nerve that does something.

Anyway, I'm curious if they work, but don't have the $100-200 to get one to test

That's been a "thing" for 40 years, you can look up any other motion sickness band to see if it's real or bunk.

could we see another camera video, in particular the best budget cams, but their are so many features....

im thinking a layout kinda like this, could even be broken down into sub videos...

intro (generalize video)

LTT INTRO (the cool 3D animated one from reddit, its soooo much better)

overview of cameras selected,

synopsis of video

segway for probably PIA again.... (you have other sponsors right?)

features found on cameras (which features are a must, what are good features but not needed, useless features, maybe special use cases)

3-or-5-or-7 camera's feature specs (my suggestions are sub $500 cameras as this is what most youtubers or streamers would be comfortable spending)

• id like to see a review of  these cheap amazon "30mp 4k" cameras with "youtube" remotes (sub$100-$200)

https://www.amazon.com/Camcorder-Comkes-Digital-vlogging-Batteries/dp/B07RRTV6B5/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=30mp+camera+4k+remote+batteries&qid=1587503214&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Camcorder-Vlogging-CofunKool-Microphone-Batteries/dp/B07KB21JL8/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=SUNLEA&qid=1587502115&sr=8-4

• ---action camera (GoPro or Yi cam) (~$200-300)
  • cell phone (last years model, not the new $2000 smartphone with 5 cameras)

video comparisons of things like debauchery and maybe some outtakes or camera switching while filming......

maybe side by side and back and forth comparisons....... heck, you can do do segways with all the different cams.......

then you could show one or two higher priced cams just for comparison (w/ video) 

• canon t6i
  • maybe a red from work 

then discuss the pros/cons of a cheaper camera,

• would one fit the bill of a at home/weekend warrior/garage youtuber?

back to cheaper cameras for detailed scrutiny of your staff (get multiple opinions, and actually have film staff try the different cams, cameramen and hosts)

SEGWAY for LTT panties,

have the hosts pick a favorite, 

results 

-THE END-

seriously tho.... i need a new camera so you should do this soon.... lol

37 minutes ago, MrHaydenJr said:

given how cheap used older DSLRs are that would be more interesting.

XT4

C300mk3

C500mk2 vs red

you can also ask for a rec in the camera sub forum

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Something about Dx12 since the last one was like 4 years ago.

Maybe talking about why it still sucks and is unstable af

had an idea on how to maybe solve the desktop webcam shortage during corona and maybe even get features like windows hello for cheap on your desktop would love it if you guys did a video on this and i think a lot of your community would be able to take advantage of it if it works will probably try it out soon so let me know if you have any questions.

as for the idea i was talking about, i already posted it here

so you can get the details there.

5 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

given how cheap used older DSLRs are that would be more interesting.

XT4

C300mk3

C500mk2 vs red

you can also ask for a rec in the camera sub forum

i mean i could but im probably not going too, i just was giving an idea of something id like to see, and killing my last 10 mins of work....

honestly it wouldnt come out in time to influence my choice anyway... and linus did promise more cam content..... 

17 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

We ever going to get more camera content with Brandon?

About 10 hours after you posted :D

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

That's been a "thing" for 40 years, you can look up any other motion sickness band to see if it's real or bunk.

This one is computerized, and claims 60 clinical trials.

1 minute ago, Video Beagle said:

About 10 hours after you posted :D

its 1 video. I want bi monthly or more

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

its 1 video. I want bi monthly or more

You only posted 17 hours ago..give 'em time :D

1st post obviously goes here... Yes I'm needy. For an IT/Media Co. how about the ultimate smart home build? I mean for the folks that are here, doing ultimate PC builds is like, ya whatever cause we all know the components at that point and we've all put something together at least once. Smart home wired or wireless I feel like would be "branching out" from the norms. This is your mission, should you choose to accept it. 

-Paul 

P.S. This message will self destruct in 5.. 4... 2... just kidding 3...  

PLZ some old tehc. Like IBM prolinea 5133 BTW i have one

7 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

This one is computerized, and claims 60 clinical trials.

Do they have anything to back up those claims?

You gonna review the new iphone se?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Yet another BS internet money making scheme to investigate, It's also the perfect time to try out such a series with everyone stuck working from home.

All of them come from youtube advertisements as well

"themodernmillionaires (dot) com"

"nine university" was an older one that still pops up.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

21 hours ago, MrHaydenJr said:

could we see another camera video, in particular the best budget cams, but their are so many features....

im thinking a layout kinda like this, could even be broken down into sub videos...

intro (generalize video)

LTT INTRO (the cool 3D animated one from reddit, its soooo much better)

overview of cameras selected,

synopsis of video

segway for probably PIA again.... (you have other sponsors right?)

features found on cameras (which features are a must, what are good features but not needed, useless features, maybe special use cases)

3-or-5-or-7 camera's feature specs (my suggestions are sub $500 cameras as this is what most youtubers or streamers would be comfortable spending)

• id like to see a review of  these cheap amazon "30mp 4k" cameras with "youtube" remotes (sub$100-$200)

https://www.amazon.com/Camcorder-Comkes-Digital-vlogging-Batteries/dp/B07RRTV6B5/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=30mp+camera+4k+remote+batteries&qid=1587503214&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Camcorder-Vlogging-CofunKool-Microphone-Batteries/dp/B07KB21JL8/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=SUNLEA&qid=1587502115&sr=8-4

• ---action camera (GoPro or Yi cam) (~$200-300)
  • cell phone (last years model, not the new $2000 smartphone with 5 cameras)

video comparisons of things like debauchery and maybe some outtakes or camera switching while filming......

maybe side by side and back and forth comparisons....... heck, you can do do segways with all the different cams.......

then you could show one or two higher priced cams just for comparison (w/ video) 

• canon t6i
  • maybe a red from work 

then discuss the pros/cons of a cheaper camera,

• would one fit the bill of a at home/weekend warrior/garage youtuber?

back to cheaper cameras for detailed scrutiny of your staff (get multiple opinions, and actually have film staff try the different cams, cameramen and hosts)

SEGWAY for LTT panties,

have the hosts pick a favorite, 

results 

-THE END-

They only used the cool new intro in this video:

Can this new ShortCircuit satisfy your needs ?

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 4/17/2020 at 6:38 PM, Pascal... said:

They may revisit the Original 3310 in the future. But something that's imo way more interesting is his first ever "mobile" phone:

It wasn't the first mobile phone, it was Linus' first mobile phone...I saw that video too...

what if im normal and you arent?