Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

They've compared many dashcams and advised what cameras would be best for your needs. However, they have never gone into the applications associated with these cameras. In my opinion the quality is fine enough across the board, so we definitely don't need more comparisons of video capabilities. I am more interested in figuring out is which dashcams have the best associated apps and app features. It seems the are awful across the board, make it absurdly hard to connect, frequently disconnect, confusing or overly complicated transfers, limited camera settings or options, etc. Nothings going to be perfect but what is most usable for normies and techies? Does it offer cloud backup or local automated wireless backup?

It's also very hard to search for these videos as it just brings up ways to use your phone as a dashcam or something else. If you know of a good video comparing dashcam apps, please let me know.

What about building an all Canadian 🇨🇦 computer? ATI was a Canadian company before it was bought by AMD and there are still GPUs available second hand! 

At one point or another I think almost every computer part at has been made in Canada 🍁 and I think it would make a fun video for Canada Day. 

Not sure it's already been done to be fair, but i'm curious about something.

I've recently been opened to the idea of building something like the ultimate low power consumption gaming Rig, and i've been building my own PC into this. Found out some interesting stuff on the way.

Essentially i'm using 'T' skew Intel CPU's, as so far i've found they can be the lowest power draw on paper. 

Wanted to know if LTT could do some comparrison with say, T (IE i5-13/14500T) vs normal (i5-13/14500 or 13/14600? ) vs K  (13/14600k I guess) skew to see just how much performance i'm missing for the extra 30 quid or so a year i'm saying on this change? 

Another point would be to check the actual power consumption on the chips. As i know the '35w' tdp is just idle tdp in most cases.

note: I don't want comments on this being a bad idea etc, moneys tight and i have kids so every penny helps 😉  My use case consists mainly of League of Legends, and i've also tested this with Cyberpunk 4k and managed to get reasonable framerates so i'm pretty happy so far. Sure that'll be more when i change the GPU as well.

Also yes, I know you can't really overclock the T cpu's or anything so there is technically more on the table, blah blah please don't bother 😛

Was thinking LTT should look into making a channel or series on the main account showing how to do general network stuff. Anything between crimping cables to setting up network equipment. Basically an informational channel to learn IT stuff.

Even if it’s not a in depth setup for things like routers, etc. What things are and how they work would be a really interesting thing to watch for aspiring IT people.

I'd like to see them do a series on taking enterprise level hardware and adapting it for home use. Why? Cuz I wanna take "fiber to the home" and run a fiber optic network card from my pc for no practical reason.

Just now, TempestCatto said:

I'd like to see them do a series on taking enterprise level hardware and adapting it for home use. Why? Cuz I wanna take "fiber to the home" and run a fiber optic network card from my pc for no practical reason.

I’m the same in a way. I take old equipment from work and find a use for It at home. I have a retired Dell T130 tower server being used for ProxMox to run my NAS, UniFi Controller, etc. I feel their more vlog style videos doing stuff like that do a little better in views too. 

i saw the  why are all TV smart TV video and i was thinking

would guys do a video on Remove the smart on smart TV

by getting a TV(or pannel) with a good display unit ripping out the trashy smart controller and installing a replacement board for the pannel

IDK how techy would get with the but recoding the display EDID for different pannel stuff would neat as well seems like a fun project for the labs.

Polygons? textures?  samples? You want it? It's yours, my friend, as long as you have enough Vram.
Hey heads up I  have writing disorder I try my best but still make errors. 

How about Linus talks about popular Adblock extensions to see which ones are fake, malware or slow down the browser?

It will be interesting to compair hardware over time. Laptop, desktop, tv, HiFi, mobile, tablet ect.

high-end (2018) vs mid-range (2021) vs low-end (2024)

Is an old high-end pc from 2018 better then a mid-range (2021) and low-end pc (2024)

A how to setup your own email server video would be great 🙂 although I fully understand that this wouldn't be a profitable video 😞

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Hi,

Lately I find myself having issues with the ability to charge my devices at some reasonable speed. My suggestion for a video is a DIY project making some sort of charging station. I had this idea while making myself a WLED light. The idea is that you can basically buy any DC power supply and wire like 8 outputs where each would be capable of delivering for example 45W or even more. Dunno if it's possible, but would definitely be welcome 

I am decorating my main living space and my first wish was to buy/print extra large posters of musicians performing live on my walls. Holy crap, is ordering large prints expensive!

I am considering mounting older televisions for this purpose. I don't need a high refresh rate. I am trying to fill large sections of my walls, like 4'x6' and 6'x6' (potentially larger depending on my options)

What is the most cost effective way to put giant digital photo frames upon my living room walls? It would be great if they are very thin and mounted close to the wall - similar to a poster.

In summary, giant, digital picture frames - how big can they affordably be?

Thank you for your consideration!

A suggestion here,

Using Pielter Tec in a small Tower PC for cooling the air intake and mapping the average temp with & without it.

They have already made a video showcasing the direct die cooling and incorporated it into the water loop. 

But never seen something like this, please let me know if I am wrong.

A lot of people are wanting to embrace ARM chips for their future computer, with the new Surface laptops, disregarding the creepy factors, still looks like it might be a great laptop. One thing that Mac M-chips can't do but I suspect Windows ARM PCs can, is support egpus. And I would absolutely love to see gaming on Windows ARM PCs using an eGPU solution that would allow it to potentially blow Mac M-chip based computers out of the water while still offering ARM and other cool things with the NPU.

I want my next computer to be an ARM one, and I do gaming, so I'm at a bit of a crossroads for how to make that happen, I would love to see some video(s) about the subject. I think it'd be cool to show off that you can take ARM PCs to the next level. (This is all under the assumption that you CAN use eGPUs with ARM which apparently according to Qualcomm you can)

Thank you for considering the idea, especially since it's kinda selfish to want info on the eGPU stuff even though I dunno who else actually cares?

Hello, I am a new user to the forum, but have been watching some of the content for over a decade now. I've probably only really watched around 2% of the videos on LTT, but I sometimes see Linus and the team reviewing older/vintage computers which are interesting. I know it's usually only for older PCs, but that's alright. I actually collect vintage computers of all kinds, and have built a substantial hardware collection over the years, mainly items from the early 80's to mid 2000's. I was curious if the channel might want to take a look at any of my systems if that is of interest.

One system which I felt might fit the channel best is a brand new Alienware computer from around December of 1999. The system I have is also the most expensive one you could get, being the $3.5k Area 51. Sadly the box was destroyed/tossed, but I was fortunate enough to save the system with the motherboard and CPU pre-installed. I have since put most of the remaining items in it, but just need a few more such as correct GPU. The GPU is also quite interesting as it was an Nvidia 256, a short-lived 32mb card which was the first graphics card to coin the term "GPU". I do also happen to have the second most expensive optional monitor available with the system.

Let me know your thoughts!

AW1.png

So, I recently managed to upgrade my wife's phone, from a 2018 Huawei to a newish iPhone, the Huawei had the latest OS available to it, though not the newest by a long way. The iPhone is able to run latest everything. A possible video idea would be to show HOW DIFFICULT it is, to switch between the two (ESPECIALLY WHATSAPP).

My wife needed to retain ALL messages, voice messages, videos etc. and While backing them up is fine (however inconvienient to be able to find all the data), it was nearly impossible to get it to act as though no change had taken place (spoiler, it IS possible) But there are many fake applications (and sketchy looking scams) that say they'll do this, but eventually won't work.

I know lots of people switch between, so I feel that a video (or series, showing things other than Whatsapp) showing how difficult it is to do so, might be useful for many people.

PrimeCables 750W PSU

$30 PSU from PrimeCables. $21 if you're a PLUS a member. 80+ Gold certified, 750W, has built in protection, why not give this a try?

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

On 5/23/2024 at 4:06 AM, BattleLew said:

Was thinking LTT should look into making a channel or series on the main account showing how to do general network stuff. Anything between crimping cables to setting up network equipment. Basically an informational channel to learn IT stuff.

Even if it’s not a in depth setup for things like routers, etc. What things are and how they work would be a really interesting thing to watch for aspiring IT people.

Merged to video suggestions thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You made a 3x large screw driver for a recent video/pc build and it made me think it would be hilarious to have Linus build a pc inside a Linus sized LTT screwdriver… and not tell Linus what the “case” is until you start filming.

It could even be setup somewhere in the studio as a user’s pc. 

Bigger is always gooderer. 

Going Electric | Harbour Air Seaplanes

A video on electric planes, or the future of electric transportation beyond cars series (Edison Motors!) but really this is just an excuse to do some marketing for floatplane and do a branding deal!

On 5/22/2024 at 9:06 PM, BattleLew said:

Network/Homelab make overs would be great.

Maybe Ubiquiti would sponsor a series to upgrade peoples networks like the AMD/Intel series? 

I would totally watch Jake go to someones house and install routers, APs, wiring, NAS, cameras, UPS etc....

I was looking at the Mars Gaming MCB/MCBW case but couldn't find anyone making an actual build in the case. Or much of anything regarding it TBH.
It doesn't have any info on the vertical GPU mounts that fit it, so if possible that is something I would love for you to cover.
Maybe it could be featured in one of your build streams?🤔

mcb_960x960.png

I have these vintage laptops from Compaq you guys should review along with some other antique electronics that I thought were an interesting piece of electronic history, though one has disk failure and the other is untested. I have them posted on eBay currently

IMG_9110.jpeg

IMG_9166.jpeg

I have a failing thermaltake pf1 850w psu and I would be willing to donate it for a video that shows the different ways psus could fail