Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Would love to see a video on erasure coding/software defined storage. You guys do a lot of storage servers and bridging your redundancy across servers would be cool to show off! Most Enterprise vendors are going this route, see pure storage, nutanix ahv, raidix software.

A "not on MY desk video" in which lines explores all the ways to build a pc for NOT on your desk but under/besides/wall/next room, and all the troubles you then get yourselves into when you go for such an option

The Unseen Data Master

What is your mailing address for I have a spare snap-on ratcheting screw driver that is just collecting dust that Linus can have, but if he contacts your local Snap-on dealer he can get his orange screw driver fixed. The one I'll send him is black and green with that soft touch feel. i'm just paying it forward. 

Thanks

Gram

Hi,

With the epidemic going on many people try to take advantage of others. Everyone is trying new ways to protect our homes for our families. Many of us are burnt out from stress and or sick from the epidemic plague. Please, I know you're the man that can separate the truth and fact from the online scammers. Many of them are selling  germicidal UVC LED lights.  From UVC LED E27 to different model portable UVC led hand wands. Please if you can help us know if these ebay & amazon products are in fact real or fake UVC LED sterilizers..

youtub.jpg

1 hour ago, ken2028 said:

Hi,

With the epidemic going on many people try to take advantage of others. Everyone is trying new ways to protect our homes for our families. Many of us are burnt out from stress and or sick from the epidemic plague. Please, I know you're the man that can separate the truth and fact from the online scammers. Many of them are selling  germicidal UVC LED lights.  From UVC LED E27 to different model portable UVC led hand wands. Please if you can help us know if these ebay & amazon products are in fact real or fake UVC LED sterilizers..

youtub.jpg

Check out Big Clive, they're all fake.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Check out Big Clive, they're all fake.

It's a spambot.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

18 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

It's a spambot.

What spambot, I organized the photos I could find on UVC led into one picture.. Asking them if they can help us if all are fake.

Spambot , LOL

R2D2

Driver 4 vr for Joycon vr motion controls

Vr ridge for phone vr on pc

1 hour ago, ken2028 said:

What spambot, I organized the photos I could find on UVC led into one picture.. Asking them if they can help us if all are fake.

Spambot , LOL

R2D2

All the LED-based ones are fake. Real UVC LEDs exist but are not very powerful, do not create any visible light and are very expensive (usually more than the price per unit than the Chinese sell you entire lamps from)

4 hours ago, ken2028 said:

Spambot , LOL

This is exactly the kind of text and picture that spambots use to boost view counts on such articles.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

There are a lot of suggestions that are great..   

I would recommend something that takes a couple videos.   one to introduce the concept..   Linus and Luke playing with two fans.   it would require one 4 player game.   one video to layout the contest rules and what not.   some sort of pick two winners type of contest...  then a video or two where Linus, luke and two fans get to play the game.  

Left for dead is one idea, but there is also something like GTFO that might be fun to see.

The concept could have more than just this..   If you have two other employees that are interested in this concept you could have a 2nd place bracket...    where two other ltt employees play with two other fans.....

Just a thought.

Performance per dollar comparison between consoles and pcs, as well as a look into steam sales vs PSN/XBox Live sales.

Windows vs Mac for Adobe apps and difference between price ranges of HW.

Hello! 

I've been wondering recently about different workloads that fit different hardware, like CPU/RAM/GPU/Peripherals (Maybe also network). 

So my suggestion for a video-topic would be what you actually can do with top of the line hardware for different workloads. (Maybe include apple for audio-engineers)
This would show consumers and pro-sumers what the right tools can do for them, i know you referenced it in the threadripper review about a studio having early access to threadripper and that helping them creating the movie. 

So i would suggest having people talk about different workloads and how more RAM helps vs more CPU power, or how crazy new super computers use a combination to solve complex computations of DNA, virus research and such. With peripherals you can show interesting gadgets that would seem strange to the normal user but is pivital in one or more professions. 

I would suggest this being a topic for a LTT channel movie as Techquickie wouldn't be able to give it enough depth considering how large the scope is. 

Have a nice day
/Xozath

Tons of people have done videos about using items other than thermal paste as a heat transfer medium, however I can't find a single video where anyone tries to use thermal paste for tasks other than heat transfer. Does it work as a lubricant? Could you use it to style you hair? Would it work to keep bolts for rusting and seizing? Remove stains from a carpet? Could you add dyes to it and use it to paint a picture? For Channel Super Fun you could try covering a slip n slide with it. The possibilities are endless

Username checks out 🤣

F@H

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Acydtryp said:

Tons of people have done videos about using items other than thermal paste as a heat transfer medium, however I can't find a single video where anyone tries to use thermal paste for tasks other than heat transfer. Does it work as a lubricant? Could you use it to style you hair? Would it work to keep bolts for rusting and seizing? Remove stains from a carpet? Could you add dyes to it and use it to paint a picture? For Channel Super Fun you could try covering a slip n slide with it. The possibilities are endless

Or how about  what else could be improved by better heat transfer? Does your coffee pot work better with a dollop of thermal paste on the bottom?

Do a video on the Asus  GA35's hotswapable 2.5inch ssd 

Compare different versions of popular open source and closed source software like photoshop vs gimp, word vs open source competitor, etc. The goal would be to see whether the closed source apps are “stealing” the open source features. Hypothetically suppose Gimp 1.0 adds a feature that photoshop 1.0 doesn’t have. But a few months later photoshop adds that same feature in 1.1. Then I think there’s an argument to be made that photoshop is stealing features and they aren’t actually innovating.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, however, in the currently climate where we are trying to be as green as possible, we seem to forget how much power out gaming PCs/TVs/Consoles/etc are using.

I would really like to see a video explaining how you can run your gaming rig on purely renewable energy at home. i.e. how many solar panels would you need and how many battery packs would you need so that you could use a near top end gaming PC as if it were plugged into the grid. (I would assume the cost would be unreasonable, and thus how could it be done at a reasonable cost?)

39 minutes ago, Kim87 said:

Do a video about this MSI motherboard: with a ISA slot on it.. MS-98L9 V2.0 released on march 2020

Edit: the datasheet in PDF

MS-98L9 V2.jpg

An ISA slot, for real? Lol. Is there some kind of new function that was developed for those I'm missing?

7 hours ago, Stonelesscutter said:

An ISA slot, for real? Lol. Is there some kind of new function that was developed for those I'm missing?

From what i can read online, this motherboard is created for factory’s that has computer controlled machines with a isa interface. 

A video on what are the oldest CPUs you can use without really bottle necking modern GPUs and hurting modern gaming. Can you get everything out of 2080ti or even 2060 on a processor that's 5+ years old?