Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
19 minutes ago, Rayven said:

It wasn't the first mobile phone, it was Linus' first mobile phone...I saw that video too...

Yeah that's what I meant.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Hello,

I am new here so excuse my directness.

I am planning to build a new PC for phone gaming because I like to play multiple phone games simultaneously. My current PC is down from being able to run 3 emulators to 2 so I was hoping to get your advice on how to plan my new PC build around maximizing the number of phone emulator instances I can have running constantly.

Time of purchase and budget aren't yet decided for me, I was hoping to review my options and plan from there on how much to save and when to buy.

I appreciate any advice you might have for me or anyone who might share my interests.

Thanks

i saw this on aliexpress and i remmeber games making a joke about something like it in one of the moving volgs thought it might be a fun idea for portable battlestations

Screenshot_20200423-200358_AliExpress.jpg

Watercool your mattress. Quite cool (ha!).

Changed the fan to a Noctua one to make it quieter and it runs perfectly. No RGB, though...lol

How about a video about cold computer,Linus

So I just watched a live-stream titled "Building an EPIC Portable Gaming Rig" and only at the end Linus mentioned the sponsors. Imagine my surprise, not Epic.

So my suggestion is, if you're making videos with the word "epic" in the title, try to get it sponsored by Epic Games, especially if it's about a gaming rig.

So i dont know where to put this so here i go.

I had the idea of putting a gaming pc in a xl60 from 45 drives

Idea:

How about a video that benchmarks 3-4 computers with the exact same parts to get an idea of what sort of impact the silicon lottery can have on a machine's performance? I think that would be really interesting. A brief search on google did not seem to turn up any relevant or useful results.

As I am sure many of you are the same as myself, stuck inside due to COVID, I thoroughly enjoy the Linus videos posted on all manner of subjects.  I feel when the lockdown ceases the Linus team should invite this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-2Scfj4FZk&feature=youtu.be in for a day to show him how do build a PC!  Shocking but please enjoy and Linus....  consider it please!

With the COVID pandemic cancelling auto racing events worldwide, iRacing has blown up huge.  I understand iRacing, which has been around for over ten years, has increased their subscription base by 50% in the last TWO MONTHS.  

With all of the iRacing on TV and its wildly increasing popularity, I think an episode of LTT on the topic would be very, very well received.  Maybe get into:

• What GPU technologies are specifically useful for iRacing
  • Best CPUs for sims
  • General racing sim specific PC build
  • Big triple monitor set-ups
  • Since VR is so popular with iRacing, get into that, 
  • Linus may even like to get into the racing sim specific accessories, like force feedback steering wheels and pedals... full rigs with seats, etc.

Just one of many, many articles/publications on the topic

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/esports/2020/04/23/virtual-races-are-drawing-millions-viewers-sim-racers-streamers-are-seizing-moment/

HOW TO: DIY UnRaid Server/All-In-One Box with Offsite Backup at family's house. Also functions as Plex server, Home Security, etc.

Scope/Function:

• Recycle 2 old computers (or build new), add hard drives, install UnRaid
  • Set the systems up so they sync with each other as offsite backups.
    • 1 system stays at your house, the other goes to parent's house. Each household/user has their own secured data folders, but all data is backed up on each system. Like the Synology reviewed here, but DIY & more capabilities
    • Go into details of what software to use for these backups/syncs
    • Show how to clone existing data between the machines local before deploying to different houses, so we don't need to copy Terebytes of existing data over the internet.
    • Would be great if there was also version control, so you can go back and recover old files that were deleted or edited.
  • Set up individual Plex servers on each, so you & your parents can have different Plex libraries. And/Or show a way to share a Plex server, but have data on both machines, so both houses get the benefit of local streaming.
  • Show how to use the same server to manage and record home security videos
    • Explain what software to use for this and how to manage on UnRaid
  • Explain along the way how you could add more systems/houses to this backup team. Like if your brother or in-laws what to have a server at their house that also gets backed up to all the systems.
    • Show what kind of settings can be changed for families with a lot of tech knowledge vs. little knowledge. (i.e. I can manage a complicated server, but my in-laws only know how to check if the power light is on.
  • This would result in very safe data storage with multiple offsite backups, but each house has the benefit of a home server.

Benefits/Audience Appeal:

• Cost effective way to store files for multiple households, and also serve as Plex & Home Security. 
    • Functions I think a lot of tech guys would want in their house, but appears costly and complex to a beginner
  • Fairly detailed explanation what software to use for each function, and how to set them up together

I've personally have been dreaming about doing this after I upgrade/replace my desktop, and have been trying to figure out how to do it, but haven't had much luck finding what I want. I would really like this guide if you ever get around to making something like it.

Thanks for all the amazing content!

Hi Linus,

I was watching a video on Adam Savage's YouTube channel for he was building an air conditioned suit. Anyways to the point, they show an refrigerant compressor so small that it would fit in a computer case, and since I know that this would peak your interests, I thought I would share this information with you. The attached is the product information. I thought perhaps you could use this as a video series to give you more content for your channel. I thought I would email you on here so the Idea would be yours as I believe sometimes to pass the credit for the idea forward, so feel free to take it free of charge.

Here's the link to the original video: https://youtu.be/z_Ti4GP0ntE
Small AC compressor Manufacture's website: https://www.aspencompressor.com/
Compressor-palm-white.jpg

i hope this will get your guys attention and who knows maybe create I new line of LTT custom in house one off coolers. Anyways I'm just out of Regina, Saskatchewan.

Thanks,
Graham Blayone 

87858f_1f7f5563d42e4bcd81be8d40b8fd70fb.pdf 87858f_b1f84b54eb71424eba4f3828736a0a36.pdf

3 minutes ago, Cheif Gramcracker said:
...they show an refrigerant compressor so small that it would fit in a computer case...

You're at least the 3rd person to suggest that in this thread. Could have been more. Would be sweet though.

Thank you for your work.
I am wondering, since a lot of us wanna-be indie game developers are using our covid time to work on our project...

Could you do a ltt or other segment about some good ways for us small-time operators to monetize our game

Ok so with Ubuntu 20.04 being released recently, I expect many distro’s based on it like Linux Mint and PopOS to be updated as well very soon.

I would therefore love to see an “I switched to Linux” series from Linus, very similar to the I switched to Mac series from a while ago.

Since Linus has mentioned a lot recently that most of his creative work is spent in Microsoft Word, now seems like an ideal time to switch. There are plenty of tutorials on how to set up a Windows VM for that program, which isn’t a bad experience. You can set it up to share your home folder with the VM so you have access to all your stuff on the VM etc, and for smaller documents there is Libreoffice.

I personally am in a few discord servers that are very open to noobs which you could check out, and there are a lot of tutorials to get certain games running and even for running a hardware accelerated VM, that LMG already showed in some of their linux focused content that’s quite old now. Linux has gotten even better since then, and I would therefore love to see Linus attempt to use it for a few weeks as main OS.

To be clear here, I’m not saying he has to use it as his only OS. Me and a lot of other Linux users included have a Windows VM set up or use a seperate machine with Windows or dualboot for some programs/games, it’s fine to do that.

Also, I have a topic here with a couple of guides of how to do some things, and I will be updating it in the next few days because it’s currently quite outdated..

@LinusTech I know the request for this type of series has been asked for many times, but now is the perfect time for this type of series. Once a distro like PopOS updates to 20.04, which should be any day now, you’ll get the best what Linux has to offer to try. 

She/Her

Why even use MS Word when there's Libre Office and MS has supported ODT for a while now? Libre does the same things but free.

19 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Why even use MS Word when there's Libre Office and MS has supported ODT for a while now? Libre does the same things but free.

some things like comments on a document have problems still, also some complicated layout things too. it works for most things but it's not perfect. 

She/Her

Hello 👋

So with the recent FCC announcement opening the 6Ghz spectrum Ubiquiti has made their Airfiber 60 dishes available for purchase (https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-airfiber/products/af60-us). They claim up to 1gbps transfer rates which is amazing. I know Linus has done a review of the older Powerbeam dishes from this company, which I currently own and enjoy, and I was interested to see if this new product could be reviewed/tested sometime in the future. 

Hey! This isn't exactly a video suggestion but I couldn't find where to reference explaining oddities\errors in older videos (please let me know where if there is one). In "We Built the CHEAPEST PC on Amazon" there's a segment where it's questioned whether the AMD Radeon card that was bought was actually a 6350 or a 5450 and suggested that the ad was mislabeled. I'm here to suggest that that may have been an error.

The suggestion stood out to me because at an old workplace I used to administer hundreds of Dell Optiplex 990's where the 6350 & 6450 came standard in Dell systems (likely that the one in the video came out of one). Something peculiar that always messed up myself and other technicians/admins when migrating batches of these systems from Windows 7 -> Windows 10 is that 10 would always pull the 5450/5550 driver for this card. This would cause the odd random blue screen or glitch in a system in the fleet every month or so like a reappearing ghost (frustrating). Eventually we figured out that this was the driver that Windows 10 assigned for a majority of lower end AMD Radeon cards in the 6x, 5x, and 4x lines, rather than older versions for the specific hardware. This was after chasing up AMD's support and did a little testing of our own with a number of [x]350 and [x]450's we had in stock.

TL;DR Don't always trust Win 10 Device Manager when it comes to older AMD graphics cards :)

optiplex-990-spec-sheet.pdf

On 3/21/2019 at 8:16 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I would like to see like a budget gaming/streaming setup, with like a budget pc that can handle it.

In a recent WAN show Linus was talking about installing air-conditioning in his home. I think this would be a very interesting video. From his explanation in the WAN show I gather he would like to install a so-called "mini-split". Given LMG's good professional relationship with LG and that LG in fact makes heat pumps/mini-split setups, you might want to consider reaching out to them and inquire about whether they would be interested in sponsoring the video if you use their products.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X - Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX - Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2070 Super - G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 C16 @3600 MHz - ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB - Corsair SF 600W 80+ Platinum - Cooler Master MasterBox NR200P White

There is always a lot of content everywhere on the internet on whats the best CPU for video editing, animation and blender renders, which all in turn heavily rely on parallel processing. I would love to see something that really benchmarks CPU's when it comes to Music Production, audio processing taken to the extremes as music production heavily relies on serial processes. 

$80 monitor VS $800 monitor

$30 keyboard VS $300 keyboard

Then go into the intricacies of why each product is priced the way it is and what the advantages/disadvantages are.