Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Now that you guys have the workshop I suggest you build custom wireless pc monitoring (temps, usage and these kinds of things) solution using esp8266 or esp32 with small oled panel.  it could also be implemented as DIY case mod.

Also it could include 3D printing the enclosure for that display.

Short Circuit material?

Hi,

When reviewing HW (especially notebooks and motherboards)
Is it possible to add "will it boot and browse web under linux" section?
Just boot the thing from live Ubuntu USB (clean, without any hacks & weird proprietary drivers) and check if all devices are detected. Additional points if you can access this forum and playback youtube videos.

It would add ~5mins of testing & ~5seconds of video to say whether it works or not, and help users to avoid HW that doesn't. Until major reviewers start nagging, vendors will delay proper support until HW is deprecated...

e.g. I am very interested in Asus g14, but i will not buy one because of past experiences with asus notebooks under linux... And ~month after reviews, there are still no basic tests under linux that i can find. If i would be shown that at least basic functionality is there, i'd be a lot more inclined in buying one...

Edit: in case of G14(or other laptops), i'd also love to know if you can disable nvidia GPU under bios :) but that might be a bit too low-level...

Thanks!

On 3/21/2019 at 5:16 AM, CPotter said:
On 3/21/2019 at 5:16 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

title:

Tell Taran that there is a new and EASY (paid) method to do multi macro keyboards.

link:

-------------------------------------------------

Hi

Just wanna tell Taran that new things appear everyday. He should adapt MKM (see below) with autohotkey, instead

of luamacros or HASU. <-- these are mostly scripts and NOT for layman.

Also from Canada, a company called Mediachance released

a paid software called "multi keyboard macros" that EASily support

multi keyboards (I am using 5 keybaords).

(I am an end user, not associated with that company)

Setup is simply layman level.

The only downside I met YET,

1. No F24... I believe No F13 to F24... that hurts advanced level guys. I only tried F24 however

2. It's macro support mouse click, but only physical LEFT button, I swapped half of the time so there is a difficulty.

3. close source and commerical, digitally signed. luckily not expensive (USD 29 +/- discount, can be installed on multiple PCs). cheaper than the HASU device Taran introduced (USD 60? kill me)

And since many program use ribbon GUI,

MKM's macro's mouse click is too naive to deal with them.

I also use MMMP mini mouse macro pro (the non-pro ver is free and FOSS).

AHK 's win menu select item may help.

And I use along with autohotkey too.

Hope Taran will make a video for MKM.

Thru Taran's way of luamacro or HASU is a waste of time (for a layman) to me.

But I did installed hidmacros after watching his videos. (hidmacros is also by author of luamacro, but come with GUI, luamacro is mostly script).

Agree him that a community will work better.

I hope someone introduced MKM to me 5 months ago.

btw, MKM works with bluetooth keyboard too! that's a crazy software.

Make a video where no one needs to buy anything. Everyone is cash strapped, few tech youtubers are making videos like this.  7.5 million payments of CERB have been made and I think many people are going to lose interest if all channels are just "Check out this new tech you have no hopes of ever affording". Here are some idea's:
  • Creative ways to use tech in isolation. I guess this is the broad idea of all these points.
  • How you can grow your skillset using online training to be better prepared when the downtime ends (could be sponsorship opportunities with only training companies too).
  • Think of tech that people probably have in their houses already and how they might be able to be repurposed; raspberry pi music players, setting up a plex server to stream to all PC's in your house, how to turn an old xbox into a media playback device, do baking Xbox's in an oven actually fix red ring of deaths (though this was more prevelant with the 360 IIRC), how to build a retropie, etc.
  • VLOG of how LTT continues to work through this pandemic
  • Re-visit how to do game streaming with Steam Link and modern TV based platforms such as nVidia Shield, Android, or Apple TV.
Just a thought.

I've seen the xmg apex 15 laptop running a full am4 socket and a 3950x review need please. That be awesome. Debaurer did a review few days ago and even used liquid nitrogen!!!! 

I think you guys should review the old Nokia 3310 for the memes...it would be really cool to see such an old phone get some love!

what if im normal and you arent?

28 minutes ago, Rayven said:

I think you guys should review the old Nokia 3310 for the memes...it would be really cool to see such an old phone get some love!

They may revisit the Original 3310 in the future. But something that's imo way more interesting is his first ever "mobile" phone:

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Wireless SteamVR

(with Oculus Quest and Virtual Desktop)

Currently, this is the probably best video with the most views on this topic. As you can see, probably not as many people have seen it as they should've.

Now, I'm still waiting for my Ryzen 4000 laptop and can't try it out myself until then but after looking a bit more research into this topic, it seems perfectly feasible physically. After all - if you get a stable <1ms to 1ms ping from your PC to your Quest, the difference compared to using Oculus Link should be negligible.

So aside from making more people aware of this option, you could possibly come up with more accurate techniques to compare quality and latency (both video stream and input) compared to the video I linked to. The primarily interesting comparison of course being the Link but potentially also e.g. the Index when it comes to latency?

(Personally, when I realized this, I immediately ordered a Quest. Being able to spin without having to worry about wrapping a cable around yourself seems so awesome!)

(And as another aside - you could also mention that Oculus tried to get rid of Virtual Desktop. I guess they prefer people to stay tethered with their Link.)

I've tried it and it works really great indeed, image quality is just as good, but you will sometimes exit the viewport (see the black surrounding the image when turning) and there is ever so slightly but noticeably more delay than with Link. So I'm still usually using Link.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I just read an article on ArsTechnica which says that major hard drive manufacturers (Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba) have quietly started shipping NAS branded hard drives which work on SMR tech instead of CMR tech. Don't ask me the details of how these different techs work, but apparently the SMR tech is a way to fit more data on the same storage space but it makes the drive significantly slower. Also users of these drives have reported issues with them being kicked out of their RAID configurations. The only way you can see the difference between the drives is in the model number, which contains EFRX for the good (CMR) NAS drives and EFAX for the bad (SMR) drives. And although the SMR drives are reportedly cheaper to manufacture, they are being sold for around the same price or even slightly more than the CMR drives.

Anyway, I thought you could do a video about it.

• Explaining the difference between SMR and CMR.
  • Testing both types of drives (same brand and capacity CMR versus SMR) in both RAID and non-RAID configuration.
  • Explaining what would be good use cases for both types.
  • Spreading the word warning people that manufacturers are trying to pull some sneaky shit.

Here's the article I saw for reference: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/caveat-emptor-smr-disks-are-being-submarined-into-unexpected-channels/

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

I've tried it and it works really great indeed, image quality is just as good, but you will sometimes exit the viewport (see the black surrounding the image when turning) and there is ever so slightly but noticeably more delay than with Link. So I'm still usually using Link.

I've read reports of many people by now and none of them have mentioned that, so it might just be your setup? Did you actually check that you e.g. have a stable ping of max. 1 ms?

was always bothered with the pricing of consumer electronics in the US and Canada. How about a series of episodes where forum users can post main trading websites in their countries, and let Linus try to pick the best bang for buck PCs, but with local price tags. It would be interesting to compare them to the US counterparts.

For example, our local website for pretty much anything is olx.ba (with a little translate help you can navigate the site, even though it is in Bosnian). But it is pretty straight forward. Screenshot attached. Or you can just search for a part. RTX 2080 is still a RTX 2080.

And you can use BAM to USD conversion to compare how much those parts would cost in the US.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bam+to+usd&oq=bam+to+u&aqs=chrome.0.35i39j69i57j0l6.1592j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

One thing to note, most of the pricing does not have 17% VAT included. So yea..

Again, it would be pretty interesting to compare the pricing across the world. Since we have about 20-30% more expensive consumer electronics.

What do you guys think?

OLX.png

Most Versatile Desk Setup

The typical LTT desk setup assumes you're using your desk exclusively for the computer, with the monitor stand, keyboard and mouse eating up valuable desk space. I'd like to see a super clean setup where that can all be stowed away to maximize usable desk space.

Misc. ideas and inspiration

1 hour ago, SomeEdward said:

I've read reports of many people by now and none of them have mentioned that, so it might just be your setup? Did you actually check that you e.g. have a stable ping of max. 1 ms?

Definitely not, it varies a lot between 20 and 100ms... that's with gigabit ethernet between PC and router, and 40MHz 5G wifi between router and Quest that is 2m away, and a supposedly high end router.

Actually it is WHILE running VD. Seems the quest puts itself in lower priority when it's not running. As I said it's very slight, but noticeable if you compare back to back. If you don't play for a week and go wireless you probably won't notice.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

So I saw in this interview that Henry Cavill (AKA the Witcher, Geralt of Rivia) is a massive PC gamer but has never has never gotten around to building his own PC. Of course this made me very very sad, so I'm suggesting that Linus Tech Tips bring Henry Cavill up to the LTT studio and make a video with him to build a sick gaming computer! I'm thinking a Witcher themed build... What d'ya all reckon about this idea? :D

12 minutes ago, MerrickKing said:

I'm suggesting that Linus Tech Tips bring Henry Cavill up to the LTT studio and make a video with him to build a sick gaming computer!

This was suggested many, many times when that interview video came out several months ago.

I'm sure it's something LTT would love to do, but it isn't likely feasible given busy working schedules and living in different countries. Even LTT getting in contact with his agent to arrange it isn't likely to happen.

Oh, and in the months since that interview coronavirus has happened. Half the world is in lockdown and international travel isn't really a thing at the moment. Henry Cavill definitely isn't going to be flying to Canada to be in an LTT video building a PC right now. Heck, even Linus isn't at the LMG office at the moment, he's been working from home the last few weeks.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I scientifically it would not work but you have watercooled everything else, except this one thing....a watercooler, yep watercool a another watercooler. Take an AIO and attach a custom waterblock to the fins of the rad and try to water cool it. I know it would not work but the shear stupidity of it would be funny.

21 minutes ago, Acydtryp said:

I scientifically it would not work but you have watercooled everything else, except this one thing....a watercooler, yep watercool a another watercooler. Take an AIO and attach a custom waterblock to the fins of the rad and try to water cool it. I know it would not work but the shear stupidity of it would be funny.

Someone already did that.

I just noticed that the back glass of Linus' Note 9 is cracked. Perhaps he can do a video or 2 about replacing it. Also a perfect opportunity to be sponsored by iFixIt lolimage.thumb.png.d6f00db297c2986d28267f4ae6bec9ba.png

23 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Definitely not, it varies a lot between 20 and 100ms... that's with gigabit ethernet between PC and router, and 40MHz 5G wifi between router and Quest that is 2m away, and a supposedly high end router.

Actually it is WHILE running VD. Seems the quest puts itself in lower priority when it's not running. As I said it's very slight, but noticeable if you compare back to back. If you don't play for a week and go wireless you probably won't notice.

Yes, it does. :)

And good to know, thanks!

22 hours ago, takagi19 said:

I just noticed that the back glass of Linus' Note 9 is cracked. Perhaps he can do a video or 2 about replacing it. Also a perfect opportunity to be sponsored by iFixIt lolimage.thumb.png.d6f00db297c2986d28267f4ae6bec9ba.png

We all know he will drop it again.

I have an idea for Linus. Got a SATA SSD to 11.5 GB read 10GB write. Been using it for weeks gaming and video editing no problems. 

3C157329-E5A3-4C7A-901D-99CA6C4B8475.jpeg