Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I would really like a roundup of sub $50 (or lower) third party PC compatible controllers, either Chinese Brand focused or including global brands. 
It would be a fun roundup, controllers are great for couch PC gaming and anything non competitive, plus dat affiliate link money. 

backstory: 

I’ve recently been using a DualShock4 but most games don’t show the correct button inputs (XYAB instead of the shapes which I somehow can never get used to)
After buying the DualShock4 blindly assuming third party stuff was all Mad Catz esque, (I knew Xbox controllers had better PC compatibility but knew I would prefer the symmetrical thumb sticks) I’ve since learned that there are *lots* of great third party controllers like from Steelseries and Logitech that are less expensive. I think you guys could do a great job on figuring out which one was the best for various use cases.

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hello Mr. Sebastian,

Make sure you & your crew are safe. Because, I don’t wanna miss out the amazing content while I am alive about tech. xD And if you’re reading this, please do make a video about AMD 4000 series Desktop processors its release and upcoming stuff. Since I am planning to buy and I am confused with the release of 3300x right now. In short, just make another AMD video of all the upcoming releases and trends that it would follow with the board it will use. Since the pandemic has made the price fall in my country, it would be a good time for me to build a PC. As I just have one MacBook Air. I can’t game. And I have always wanted to. So please make a video help me decideeeeee. I know its too short for you to understand the whole text. xD Thanks & Cheers to your crew. Hats off to all the content. 

With expectations,

lafinJr.

Hello Mr. Sebastian,

Make sure you & your crew are safe. Because, I don’t wanna miss out the amazing content while I am alive about tech. xD And if you’re reading this, please do make a video about AMD 4000 series Desktop processors its release and upcoming stuff. Since I am planning to buy and I am confused with the release of 3300x right now. In short, just make another AMD video of all the upcoming releases and trends that it would follow with the board it will use. Since the pandemic has made the price fall in my country, it would be a good time for me to build a PC. As I just have one MacBook Air. I can’t game. And I have always wanted to. So please make a video help me decideeeeee. I know its too short for you to understand the whole text. xD Thanks & Cheers to your crew. Hats off to all the content. 

With expectations,

lafinJr.

Dear Linus and Team,

I had a suggestion or rather direction you could take for an interesting video. Since Simracing is becoming massively popular on streaming platforms during these Corona times, I wonder if you could do one about racing simulators, direct driving wheels or any regarding simulations (not just gaming) in general.
It could be a DIY just like the VR but possibly you can also collaborate with either a car manufacturer, one of the F1 or professional Sim drivers who streams or a hobbyst who is known for having a pretty thorough self-build simulator themselves.

My motivation behind this idea? As a kid I always had a fetish for cars although racing didn't became part of my youth. Later on I became very fond of tech and games which let me currently to (for example) overclock the max out of my system in practical terms (8700k @5.3ghz stable).
During these last months I rediscovered my love for racing, noticed specifically the F1 drivers started to stream a lot and I gained the wish to build a fun and/or realistic driving simulator. Did a lot of research myself and figured out it's not always straightforward.
Aside from that, I'm utterly convinced that every viewer has an affection to the concept of a simulator. 

As a cherry on the cake, the ultimate inspirational wet dream of all simulators that Chris Harris from Top Gear get's to experience at 0:15 before driving the real thing:

Curious what LTT will pick up from this (-: 
Cheers, Freezoide

To add to the list of BS free money advertisements to explore, check 5 coins to 5 million dollars

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Good day LTT Team,

My suggestion at this time is to explore portable tethered PC VR gaming using a laptop and a RIft S or or other compatible headsets. I currently have an asus rog strix scar gl703gm and a RIft S (made sure I had a mini DP) and it is perfectly adequate for running the RIft S comfortably, though I know there is more performance out there. I am able to fit all of it in a backpack so it is truly portable in that sense and when I get to wherever I was going it only takes me a few mins to setup then I am gaming in VR. I also sometimes run a HDMI cable to a TV so that others can enjoy as well if one is available. I have equated this experience to when the Nintendo Wii first came out, a little on the dated side for graphics but a very good social and party console. I played Wii sports with my friends so much that it was a hole in one every time we golfed. This is what I have been doing with my VR, making it a social party trick, especially when others can watch on another display.

I keep seeing videos on how to build the perfect VR room/high end PC setup for $$$$$ but would like to see something more attainable for the average budget conscious household, reviewed by experts, current and accurate. A lot, most, of the articles out there are dated and inaccurate due to speculation when they were written with the hardware just releasing. Some articles have been updated and edited for newer hardware but the inaccuracies remain in the articles or they haven't been updated as firmware updates for all headsets progress.

You could do laptops and headsets that work at different price points but focus on whats affordable to most people. I do appreciate that LTT does do a fair bit of content on affordable VR already, so thank you and keep it up.

PS. Sorry I am a bit of a Rift S fanboy, it is because I have one and the ease of use I have had while using it with a laptop.

Edited by Colep715
Edited for horrible grammar, spelling and sentence structure.

When Apple moved their iMacs to 5k, they got rid of their somewhat flawed but occasionally useful target display mode feature as TB3 Macs used a different display controller to operate that many pixels. It's a shame as that means there are so many of them floating around that could otherwise make great monitors for people unable to afford an XDR display who wanted something more nicely built than your standard plastic housed monitor. Since LTT enjoys poking Apple about such things, I'm wondering if you'd considered making a video on ways to potentially move around this limitation and turn old 5k iMacs into external displays for windows or Mac machines while running at full resolution.

Some other videos on other channels brought up networked solutions in windows, but they had poor refresh rates and were buggy. Wondering if it would be possible to install a version of linux that turned the iMac into -only- a display, or if there was some way to hack the hardware inside. Worst case your wizards replace the actual panel with a 5k panel and seal it back up and make a good point about how Apple could make good on ideas about reducing e-waste by releasing something like this, and how it would fill a niche left open by the lack of >5K Apple monitor <$5k. Thank you for reading. 

Since Alex likes to review laptops and since they always seem to have heat issues, it would be pretty fun to buy a few off the shelf laptop cooling pads and compare then, then have Alex make what he thinks would be the most efficient/powerful version (not just duct tape and blowimatrons) with all the new fabrication resources the team has in-house.

Idea inspired by "World's CRAZIEST 5GHz LAPTOP - Asus G703G" video where they tried to boost performance by getting better airflow through the system using duct tape and blowimatrons.

I have already posted something in general discussion which could be applicable here. Review of the AMD 3rd gen zen 2 desktop cpu's in a laptop. The laptop name is schenker xmg apex 15. It has ryzen 3950x in a laptop. Will be interesting as it is a 16 core processor in a laptop and also to see how the cooling compenents keeps up with the CPU. This is the link to the laptop manufacturers site.

https://www.xmg.gg/en/xmg-apex-15

1 hour ago, Ramadas said:

xmg apex 15

Wait a few days (or subscribe to floatplane :P )

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I have a suggestion regarding PC cooling. It is a work intensive piece of tech to make, but the results should be amazing.

The idea is creating what is basically a tiny AC unit and use it in conjunction with a waterloop to cool the CPU and GPU of a PC. The difference between what Linus usually uses is that it is really small and could easily be put inside a large PC case. The video shows what I'm talking about:

Been mentioned like a dozen times on this thread already

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

So i saw this ad for Amazon Music HD which promised "double the bit rate" and "highest quality audio on the market" Can LTT see 1) If this is actually true 2) Compare amazon music HD to other streaming service and their quality 3) Find the highest audio quality streaming service.

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

should make a video sometime in the future comparing the performance of all the budget amd laptops for broke students like myself.

5 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Wait a few days (or subscribe to floatplane :P )

Checked floatplane. They actually did it.

Would love to see a WiFi performance comparison between an average ISP supplied router, a ubiquity access point, and a high end Pcie WiFi card like the Asus AC-88 running as an access point.

I'd really looking forward to Linus's Smart Home Aircon Video(s) 

Linus put a computer in his son's desk - what else could you hide a gaming computer inside of? - Lamp, clock, shelf, printer? vase? 

Got one more.  This one may not be cheap and is kind of time critical.  A do-it-or-dont thing:

The b450 news from AMD has changed the math for gaming machine builders.  It seems clear, at least to me that intel’s choice of cpu focus with their last gen was NOT actually lost in the weeds, but aimed squarely at the hole in the lineup where b450 sat.  That hole will be repaired with b550 but that’s a few months away.   What gamers care about is fps/$ in complete machines.  AMD was owning this in a big way.  Is this still the case?   Math needs to be done.  Tests may or may not.  Not sure about that one.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

27 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

I would be interested to see a "cheap used server" roundup, because most of us don't have a ton of money to spend on big, expensive, new servers and would rather just have something to mess around with. Say for example the R710.

I know a guy who found a pdp1170 on a dumpster dive once.  Thing was out on the curb.  This was way way back when a machine like that was actually still somewhat useful. Even the tape drives.  He ran off and rented a truck so he could hare off with it.  Had it set up in his living room.  Took up most of it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Oh man, that's super cool. I got a Dell r530 once for free; I flipped it for $300. That was pretty good, but having such an old piece of computing history like that is really interesting.

It wasn’t that old or interesting at the time.  It’s a fascinating rare antique now, but back then it was just a junk computer that was a bit too slow to be worth using where it was, which I think was a university, so it had already been donated once.  I guess it mostly bespeaks what an old fart I am.

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

This is for a future project where you can try to make b 450 motherboard compatible with ryzen 4000 zen 3 cpu's. I might(most likely) be inaccurate and oversimplifying the problem but one of the reasons for it's incompatibility with b 450 is the physical limitations of adding more microcodes and softwares in the motherboard so why not swap out the microcontrollers(I guess that is where the codes are) which take care of this with the ones in b550 or something. I know this project will most definitely won't work out because there might be other issues as well and the difficulty of swapping those is also high. If none of it works out (most likely) you could look at why exactly AMD dropped the compatibility for b 450

I think you should read this very old article and do a story about this

https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/

The facts described in this article are very very rarely understood by recent (home) builders of large storage systems... I routinely see builders using only one disk for redundancy out of many tens of terabytes of pools...