Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
2 hours ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Is it even possible to find such a motherboard?

No.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Whirlwind FX Element RGB Keyboard

LTT should Review The Element keyboard and LED strips. They have a interesting lighting software that deserves attention. Plus i wanna know the quality of this thing. A Linus perspective lol That is my vote anyway lol

https://www.whirlwindfx.com/?sscid=41k4_5ctsh&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61QZR7ZlQ_g

Nokia 7.2. 

I have one, and it's a great phone at a great pricepoint. 

just don't enable puredisplay in settings if you do review it since it messes up the entire screen. 

She/Her

@Twilight Wrong thread?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

Hi everyone

I was thinking on a test or benchmark or comparison between Routers divided in categories like cheapest, madium grade, and beast-masters.

Now that we are all at home, some in self isolation and some forced to (Like me in Italy), I think it would be kinda helpful to any of us who wants to upgrade the home network to make the isolation a bit more comfortable and improve our SmartWorking or studying condition.

I really hope to see this kind of video.

As always, amazing channel and community 

https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-s20-hidden-96hz-display-mode/ I would like to see a video on the recently found 96hz display mode on the Galaxy S20 series of devices

Make a webcam buying guide for the people that need a webcam or want a better one than what their laptop provides them. People may need a webcam during quarantine.

Edited by YuzuPan

Since you guys have talked about the growth of gaming on Linux, I'd love to see a head-to-head comparison of AAA title performance on identical systems using Win10 vs two or three different Linux systems. Best would be to see what it's like on a good (but not ridiculous) modern gamer system, but also on the kind of 5 to 10 year old box lots of people might be thinking of spinning up a Linux system on to revive it. Linux gets more performance out of older systems in general, but does this hold for games too?

I would also really, really like to see a series of videos about Linux distros to choose, not just for gaming. Obviously, one little video can't tell us everything we need to choose, but the distrochooser websites I've seen also don't have enough info. Get the Linux users on your team to tell why they like particular distros. IIRC Luke uses Mint? Anthony can probably tell us about six or eight different ones. Maybe others have their own favorites? Techquickie could even perhaps do this, giving the pros and cons of one distro per video.

I would like to see a project in which videos on VHS cassettes are transfered to a CDs.

Reason behind this is that I have dozens of old VHS tapes from my childhood and I would like to transfer all videos to a CD and then to a hard disk but right now I don't have a clue what is the most painless way to do it.

Thanks in advance!

Hi community, 

With all these years of Linus Tech tips, all these years of unboxing stuff, build day, throwing box on the floor etc.

Linus did mention it a few times but we never saw any video about that.

What about a Boxing video? At the end of an unboxing video, They take it all aparts, clean up, repackage all the way back, Put it back in inventory etc.

Could do a nice video on a busy unboxing/build day.

What happen with all these products, Stay on the shelf forever ? Ship it back ? Or maybe they get destroyed or water all over them on the next project.

Waiting on parts to arrive so meanwhile I'm binge watching some LTT video :)

All right, I have seen what appears to be a lot of contradictory information lately when comparing performance between the AMD Ryzen and AMD Ryzen "Threadripper" processors.  In fact, there are some old videos on your channel that don't appear to help the matter when compared to newer videos on your channel.  So, I would love to see an updated video giving a good in-depth comparison between the two processors (keeping video card the same).

While Threadripper CPUs appear to be great for multi-threaded applications, a simple Google search gives conflicting information debating single-threaded applications and even performance in games.  I have seen arguments stating Threadripper is actually worse for games than a regular third-generation Ryzen CPU.  On the flip side, it appears this may have only been true for earlier Threadripper processors.  Not to mention, the difference in cost-benefit.  So, there is obviously a lot of confusing information out there when it comes to comparing AMD Ryzen to AMD Ryzen Threadripper.

So, PLEASE do an updated video comparing the AMD Ryzen processors to the AMD Threadripper processors and which are better for gaming etc.

@Three Eye Depends which Threadripper, you're just mixing old and new stuff.

2xxx series Threadrippers were slower in single core than 2xxx Ryzens.

3xxx Threadrippers however have about the same single core perf than 3xxx Ryzen.

F@H

GPD Win 2

The antminer d3 (now only £50 from eBay).

Do they actually make profit

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

Hello LLT Team, 

I wanted to request a review regarding pre built mini gaming PC from Zotac Zbox Magnus E series " EC72070S " released in Q1 2020. Currently on sale in Zotac USA store for decent price. (1330$ USD,Barebone) 

I'm looking forward for your product review.

Do a follow-up to the TV-protector from China video where you throw the controller at the screen without the protector!

O, and use a high-speed camera for the action shot please.

Windows ethernet conection management.

What if we have 2 ethernet cards and you want to asign the fast one to play one specific game online and the other to download games and all the other stuff, browsing etc...  

Mi little brother asked me this bacause he wants to use the adsl for download fornite and keep using the mobile phone as a modem just to play Warthunder.

I'm a new member to the forums, but I've been watching your videos for years. I'd love to see a sequel to your gaming on iMac but with the Macbook Pro instead.

I've been a macbook pro owner since 2008, but I grew up with a desktop in my home playing Unreal, AoE, Crysis, and tons of other games. I love gaming. Owning a macbook always made it rather difficult but over the last decade I've learned how to game on it successfully with much trial and error. There are practical reasons professionally, educationally, and conveniently for why I own a Macbook Pro (Plus I prefer their OS 100%).

Things it would to cool to test or learn about: 

- Since you can get a cooling pad for laptops does that solve the cooling problem like with the iMac? 

- How do you get an eGPU to work with Bootcamp and should you? (link below talks about it, but it's a bit hard to digest)

- Bootcamp vs ported games vs Streaming Service

- External SSDs and external boot drives?

- Best external monitors (comparable Hz and res as macbook) and peripherals for this specific setup?

- Essentially, if gaming on a late 2019 macbook pro (see my specs below) was your only option what can you do to get the most out of it?

- What would you need to build a rig noticeably better at gaming BUT with comparable workstation performance at the best price point?

I really want to build my own custom gaming rig one of these days, but just haven't had the opportunity to build it yet. So I've been slowly trying to make a better setup for my macbook pro so I can game and work with the same computer.

eGPU w/ Bootcamp forum: https://egpu.io/boot-camp-egpu-setup-guide/ 

(Also my GPU is a Radeon Pro Vega 16, not in the picture)

Untitled.png

On 4/9/2020 at 3:25 AM, Kilrah said:

@Three Eye Depends which Threadripper, you're just mixing old and new stuff.

2xxx series Threadrippers were slower in single core than 2xxx Ryzens.

3xxx Threadrippers however have about the same single core perf than 3xxx Ryzen.

@Kilrah  So, if I understand you correctly, it sounds like it's not really worth going with a Threadripper version of the CPU for a gaming rig.  Especially, if you have a good GPU.  Or, all things being equal at single core, is is still a good idea to go with a Threadripper processor for better multi-threaded processing for games?

For gaming only, useless. But if you have other workloads that can benefit from that many threads you can get a TR without losing on gaming performance.

F@H

GPD Win 2

I was looking at some old info and as a school tech director I ran back across some info on "The $100 Laptop" that was going to revolutionize the world!  The idea was to build ruggedized laptops running free / open source OS (Linux?) on a platform that did not require the user to have a power source. The plan was to provide them to children in underdeveloped countries and close the tech gap.  The prototypes were shocking green with a bright yellow handle that was used to CRANK generate the power needed to operate the device.  As far as I know very few of the original design still exist but they (One Laptop Per Child) did continue on with the idea. (http://one.laptop.org/about/hardware).  Wireless networking, programming built in, a solar panel charger (optional) and mesh networking so you can network even when you don't have a network available are all packed into the device.

Let's see if the LinusTechTips crew can mod one of these to do - well anything - it is not designed to do.  For extra credit - find one of the crank handle models and see if you can just make it work!

Enjoy

hardware-left-side-view.png

100Laptop.jpg

I've been watching this channel for about a year now and in one of the videos from the mineral oil PC Linus mentioned something about a mac book pro being placed into ice water and how it improved performance. He had also had a question about a foil like bag he could use as a laptop stand to try and re create the process in a similar fashion without the hazard of the macbook or other laptop falling into water. I was thinking about how could one use a water cooler radiator with a radiator inside the pump mounted with fans to water cool a base that would sit under the laptop. I do have a general idea of how the system would look work and be powered as to where the radiator and fans would fit inside a backpack as to where it could be a mobile unit so anyone could use it in there day to day lives.