Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Hi there !

I've both heard and read a lot about latency issues with Ryzen CPUs in music production. Still not satisfied with answers that i found on some "music/audio" forums so i thought i would head to LTT forum with this one. Thinking about upgrading my rig as i need more horsepower for bigger projects and also maybe going Hackintosh as i would like to use Logic Pro X more often. 

Maybe you could do an episode that would be dedicated to all the audio geeks ? You do a lot of great video production related content so i'm curious what you could do with audio production. 

I work both on PC and Mac, using mainly Ableton Live (studio + live performance) + Pro Tools or Logic Pro X for specific projects.

PS. This is my first post on LTT forum :D and watching your videos is my "cold beverage after hard day" type of relaxing

Peace !

A build video for a combined gaming PC and NAS solution that has a good look for putting underneath a living room TV. Meaning more of an AV component look than a tower and none of that gaudy RGB stuff please.

potential for psu content i think, what about best diy test bench setup without being dusty as usual test benches

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

So I have had this idea rolling around in my head for a while.

In my 'office' area, we have a dual desk set up for the wife and I.

I thought an interesting setup would be to have 2 separate PCs with their own stations ( one on each of the desks / or next to each other in the middle) but with a shared external cooling setup (Radiator, reservoir and pump? outside the cases) mounted behind/underneath or otherwise out of mind. Obviously not practical, but to me it could be a really slick build 'battlestation' type of thing.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

do a watercooling loop with Nitrogen for evaporating and a pump and then use a cryocooler to cool them off. 

Make an in-depth video comparing graphics cards which are not the top-of-the-line products but are more accessibly priced. Which cards would be acceptable for a good gaming experience if you don't need to have all the settings cranked to maximum? For example cards which are capable of 4K output but you won't be able to crank all the settings all the way up. Or for example with settings at maximum but at 1080p instead of 4K? What are the benefits of the various cards and how budget friendly are they? How do the cards made by other manufacturers (but using the graphics chip manufacturers parts) compare to the cards by AMD and Nvidia themselves?

There are plenty of videos featuring the latest and best video cards, and though they are awesome cards, realistically they are not affordable for the general public. Information about the performance of cards in the 300 to 500 dollar/euro/pound range would be far more useful.

And please explain what benefits one would get when opting for a 500 dollar/euro/pound card instead of say a 250 one.

Doing a Video on the Sony Xperia 1 II? 

Looks to be a resergence for Sony to the market against Apple Samsung etc.

**CPU** Intel - Core i5-4670K.
**CPU Cooler** be quiet! - Dark Rock TF.
**Motherboard** Asus - MAXIMUS VII IMPACT.
**Memory** Corsair - Vengeance LP 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory.
**Storage 1** Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive.
**Storage 2** SanDisk - Ultra 3D 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive.
**Storage 3** Western Digital - Red 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive.
**Video Card** Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB Video Card.
**Power Supply** Corsair - RM850 W 80+ Gold. 
**Case** Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case.
**Monitor 1** Acer - Predator X34 34.0" 3440x1440 100 Hz Monitor.

**Monitor 2** Asus - VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor.
**Headphones** Astro - A50 + Base Station.

**Keyboard** Logitech - G910 Orion Spark.
**Mouse** Logitech - G903 Wireless & Power Play.

**Chair** Secret Lab - Omega Softweave Charcoal Blue.

Hi Linus (& Team)!

Before I start, I am a huge fan and I *think* I have seen every single video you have ever posted, after the NCIX days for sure. I've been watching for about 5/6 years now and I always will.

Anyway, I recently bought the Logitech G433 Gaming Headset because of their amazing sound quality, amazing comfort (when you use the velvety ear-cups instead of the standard sandpaper mesh fabric ones) and because of the way they marketed them as a gaming headset where you can un-plug the mic and use them as a daily headphones driver because of their stylish, sleek and subtle look. 

Well, they're my favourite ever headphones/headset, I absolutely love them. There's nothing I would improve... except. The modern problem of the headphone jack. I am an Apple fan (when it comes to mobile phones exclusively, obviously). 

I just wish.... I could unplug the aux cable and the detachable mic and bluetooth them to my phone and off I go travelling with them when I'm not gaming and not have to have the big wire and an an aux to lightning cable adaptor. Such a device exists! For example the Voxoa BTunes VXB-25 as shown in this UnboxTherapy video: 

So... I just thought you might be interested in doing a video round-up on the best wired-to-wireless headphone adapters in the future! (For example one common issue with the adapters from my research is that they often reduce the maximum possible volume and they're also quite bulky).

Thanks, 

Nick Coultish (@NickCoultish)

East Riding of Yorkshire, UK.

19 minutes ago, FierySnow said:

Hi Linus (& Team)!

Before I start, I am a huge fan and I *think* I have seen every single video you have ever posted, after the NCIX days for sure. I've been watching for about 5/6 years now and I always will.

Anyway, I recently bought the Logitech G433 Gaming Headset because of their amazing sound quality, amazing comfort (when you use the velvety ear-cups instead of the standard sandpaper mesh fabric ones) and because of the way they marketed them as a gaming headset where you can un-plug the mic and use them as a daily headphones driver because of their stylish, sleek and subtle look. 

Well, they're my favourite ever headphones/headset, I absolutely love them. There's nothing I would improve... except. The modern problem of the headphone jack. I am an Apple fan (when it comes to mobile phones exclusively, obviously). 

I just wish.... I could unplug the aux cable and the detachable mic and bluetooth them to my phone and off I go travelling with them when I'm not gaming and not have to have the big wire and an an aux to lightning cable adaptor. Such a device exists! For example the Voxoa BTunes VXB-25 as shown in this UnboxTherapy video: 

So... I just thought you might be interested in doing a video round-up on the best wired-to-wireless headphone adapters in the future! (For example one common issue with the adapters from my research is that they often reduce the maximum possible volume and they're also quite bulky).

Thanks, 

Nick Coultish (@NickCoultish)

East Riding of Yorkshire, UK.

Interesting. One thing you also might want to take into account for something like this is that wired headphones (even with detachable cable) are less likely to contain built-in batteries, so this thingamabob would have to supply the power for the analog signal to the driver coils. That's probably part of the reason why the volume is lower. So the question is how much air-time can you get out of a thing like this.

Hey Tech Tips,

Adam Savage brought an engineer by the name of Kipp Bradford on his One Day Builds series to put together a micro HVAC system that cools and circulates water or alcohol through a body suit for Adam to wear under his Comicon costumes. Well, the first thing that popped into my mind was Linus' window unit PC cooling idea. Let me tell you, this technology is insane. He's essentially using a compressor the size of a coffee mug, a heat exchanger small enough to be exhausted by a 140mm PC fan, and a coolant-to-water (or vodka) heat exchanger smaller than a deck of cards that is capable of 800 watts of cooling. I'd love to see you guys get your hands on some of these components and put something like this together for cooling a PC. 

https://youtu.be/z_Ti4GP0ntE

On 3/21/2019 at 12:16 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hey There LTT,

As a very appropriate and friendly social distancing practices idea, do a back to back (6 ft. apart obviously) PC build between a "Pro" and a "Noob" PC builders!

So basically. same concept as Back-to-Back Chef from Bon Appétit, but with PC builds, where the pro guides the noob standing with their backs against each other!

Episode example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3F4gesf4QQ 

Thanks!

Wireless HDMI?
I liked the video about HDMI over water and was wondering if you could test/review wireless HDMI. It would be great to be able to play a console or something from another room without relying on streaming it to another device and worrying about bandwidth issues but would it be good enough for high refresh rate PC gaming?

heres a video idea 

SuGWrZm.png

channel super fun or maybe quick bits. dont tell us real or antique or anything just do a video and showing it and disassembling it and showing the tang, tsuba, ect then have a poll in the comments for guessing if it's a original or replica with maybe multiple "original" and "replica" category's then tell us on the wan show. it's a quick 10 minute thing but would get a lot of views and us sword guys are fascinated. if i can afford a original, linus certainly can so this will be a challenge!

here is the cheat sheet you can have off screen to get the names right

Japanese_sword_and_koshirae_glossary.jpg

Morning LTT Crew! How about a video on whether brand new, top tier hardware, is worth the investment a year or two later. Can we build the same systems for cheaper today and was it worth building/buying at the time? Does paying top dollar for a new release hold up on value and quality. For example, follow up "The FASTEST gaming PC money can buy" from Dec 27, 2018 or the machine from "Building the ULTIMATE Twitch Streaming PC!" from Dec 28 2017. I understand you probably don't have the machines, but a video on the longevity of those type of builds would be nice.

Thanks.

Honestly really loving these adapting to the situation and hardware videos like "I FINALLY Upgraded My Streaming Setup!" I always enjoy content that showcases some lesser known or more useful tools, these can be understandably niche but I think utilizing the current climate to demonstrate cameras/microphones or general remote work products that make WFH easier would be really interesting and beneficial.

Not sure if anybody submitted this idea yet but Brave browser is a new browser which is er privacy oriented. I switched completely to brave and I do not regret it at all. There are tons of fantastic features to have especially in this day and age where most people are starting to protect their online identity as much as possible. The CEO of brave is Brendan Eich who's also the creator of JavaScript and the former CEO of Mozilla.

If you read this article you;ll see as well how a research group deemed it "by far the most private browser sending back the fewest amount of information".

If you do decide to look it up, try and become certified creators in order to get a kick back from the auto contribution whenever I choose to see ads.

after seeing the current (my monitor just got upgrade) video - maybe something like how to create your own monitor stand?

some crazy 3x monitor DIY / selfmade stand on the cheap?

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Liquid/Air cooler Hybrid build

My fave vids are:

Whonock Server Died (Sorry Linus 🤣)

April Fools Server Room On Firespacer.png

This is more of a benchmark/science suggestion. 

So far it doesnt seem like any of the Youtubers I follow (LTT, GN, Jay2Cents, Bitwit, UFD, HU) approach how different CPUs handle scientific data analysis. I crunch a lot of numbers using the statistics package on Excel, and Minitab. My colleagues help me with SPSS. Some of these datasets and models can be quite large and take a while to process. Heck, I have seen some of our work computers repeatedly crash with some, and we had to move the data to be analyzed on a more powerful system. 

It would be nice to know how different CPUs fair, and whether the extra threads offered nowadays make a difference in these applications.

Oh, and computational fluid dynamics and their simulation are relatively hot in the scientific space right now, and it is unclear what set up is best (on a budget) for this kind of application for someone seeking to dabble.

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

Hi, I participate in CPU-bound distributed computing projects in which core count is key.  Last year, I watched your 64-core/64 GB RAM Supermicro 4P video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAuOmJVZeQI) and actually ended up building a system based off that board and 4x AMD Opteron 6378s.  So…thanks!

I’m wondering if you have any other suggestions for high core count – affordable - solutions similar to the Supermicro build above.

I am not loyal to Intel or AMD in particular, but affordability is key – purchasing “out of season” or “last year’s model” is totally fine with me, I just need lots of CPU cores.

Power consumption isn’t a huge concern either; granted who wouldn’t want it low, but I know what I’m getting into.

Just thought that this could be a good video to explore.

koremore

Hi,

Can you make a review for "industrial grade motherboards".

"Industrial grade" means that the manufacturer won't change the components used in the motherboard without further notice. Is that all? Are these better quality? Are the capacitors used of batter quality for example? Are they better tested? Is the guarantee longer? Is the support better? When one should use them ?

Here are a few examples:

On 3/21/2019 at 10:16 AM, CPotter said:

Linus Tech Tips

What about reviewing this monitor: https://www.amazon.com/Lg-86Bh5C-B-86-Led-Display-86BH5C-B/dp/B01MF7CY2P/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ultrawide+monitor&qid=1587067244&sprefix=Ultrawide+Monitor&sr=8-1

After the double super Ultrawide video this seems like a perfect fit.

Acer Predator Helios 500

8th Gen Intel Core i7 8750H

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 8GB (Mobile)

16GB DDR4 SDRAM

1TB Hard Drive

256 GB Solid State Drive

Processor Speed 2.20 GHz

Wireless LAN Standard IEEE 802.11ac

Screen Resolution 1920 × 1080

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

On 3/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, CPotter said:

Linus Tech Tips

Hi @LinusTech and @CPotter

Just wondering if you are going to a dual boot video on the channel? (if you have already please link!)

Just a query as that would be fun to see. spacer.png

Thanks!

TechQuicker