Mine Crypto Before It's Too Late! (SPONSORED)

JonoT
9 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

I already told you that it is next to impossible to find reliable data on the energy consumption of gaming or average gaming time and that I will not participate in quoting wild estimations that support my side of the story.

I gave you plausible cause as for why >4hrs/day gaming is most probably BS and hard proof for why the stated yearly energy consumption of a gaming PC is BS. Do you want a copy of my electricity bill or do you accept that as is?

If you notice, they're saying "The avid user sub-segment spend 3.6h/day" Not "Everyone spends 3.6 h/day"

Spoiler

image.png.12a76e2b445ee799480602fd7ab7ba15.png

https://eta.lbl.gov/sites/default/files/related-files/Taming-the-Energy-Use-of-Gaming-Computers.pdf

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

What a bunch of bickering here aye.

My message is:

Smoke em if you got em

Based on the info from the calculator on NiceHash, all of the GPUs I own are useless for mining.🙁

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

This video is an ad, although LTT might be influencing viewers that don't have an extra GPU to mine on or don't have a newer GPU which would be much more efficient for mining, to go out and pay scalpers for a GPU or buy a whole gaming PC to mine on. But I don't watch the sponsored videos either,  and anything i'm interested in purchasing I get more than one source to make sure the info is accurate.

Like I've said. I'm all up for a good debate. That's about the only reason I've been finding so many facts about mining. The fact is, I have spare GPUs at home I mine on. a 2070 and a 1070. It makes no sense to have spares laying around doing nothing for me. The main reason I've been so pro mining in all of this is just that. Combined with the general entitlement and dismissing of sources, debating for mining is the harder side here. Makes it more fun for me and gives me more to learn. 

I do think Linus should have been much more careful about timing of all this. People are all up in arms because they can't get shiny new. Then you come out with "VAG" and now a sponsored ad by NiceHash. Even ignoring recent goings on with them, it's not a good time. 

On the flip side of that, controversy drives clicks. And it's working. I have yet to see a video thread hit 7 pages this quickly, if ever. The video is also over 1m views. In barely 24 hours. That's above his average. Seems like usually it's 3-5 days for 1m views. 

This is the type of thing where people speak with actions louder than words. Don't like him doing a mining sponsor? Don't click the video. 

I'm not sure when the last time you saw the comments were, but this came out.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7e1e21ad9bf62175945a0cce8746cc9b.png

which reminds me a lot of the VPN sponsor. They put the video out (possibly, giving them the benefit of the doubt) not realizing that in the time between them accepting the sponsor and putting it out controversy on the sponsor's side happened. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

10 hours ago, tikker said:

Well you won't get a death threat for saying crypto is good or bad...

Yes. But environment shapes a person. Let them have a pattern of behavior. For example, his free speech. That is enough for this point.

I'm a little curious. Will Linus make a video talk about the good side of Nvidia's mining limiter? If not, why? No sponsor? Or nothing good to say?

31 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

LTT might be influencing viewers that don't have an extra GPU to mine on or don't have a newer GPU which would be much more efficient for mining, to go out and pay scalpers for a GPU

Not LTT's intention, but Tech Deals might be.

Checkout Tech Deals videos and live streams, you will see, this guy has gone silly.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

57 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Then we have no reason to believe you. We have evidence, you don't.

What? Which evidence? Please do yourself a favor and don't call the quoted/linked article evidence. It is nothing more than wild estimations.

58 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Where was that, exactly?

I didn't see it anywhere.

I stated multiple times that the yearly energy consumption they state for a gaming PC makes up for 70%-90% of my overall yearly electrical bill which includes not only a gaming PC, but also a buttload of electrical appliances, lights and so on (and we are a 2-person household with three 4K screens). In conclusion, their numbers are a gross over-estimation.

Just now, Dracarris said:

I stated multiple times that the yearly energy consumption they state for a gaming PC makes up for 70%-90% of my overall yearly electrical bill which includes not only a gaming PC, but also a buttload of electrical appliances, lights and so on (and we are a 2-person household with three 4K screens). In conclusion, their numbers are a gross over-estimation.

And do you have sources for this?
Without sources, it's as much a "wild estimation" as you claim our numbers are.

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

And do you have sources for this?
Without sources, it's as much a "wild estimation" as you claim our numbers are.

So I re-iterate: You want to see my electrical bill to believe my stated percentages?

Just now, Dracarris said:

So I re-iterate: You want to see my electrical bill to believe my stated percentages?

Yes. Otherwise you could be making all this up.

That's how debates work.

elephants

4 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Yes. Otherwise you could be making all this up.

That's how debates work.

Yeah sure. I will not post personal information here. If you think I lie for the sake of winning an argument, you are obviously trolling and I am not here for your entertainment.

And no, that is not how debates work. When it comes to personal information about a forum member here, their word is a trustworthy source. If you think otherwise, you are free to troll other people.

Also, I am still waiting for that evidence of yours.

On 3/14/2021 at 1:46 PM, Poinkachu said:

"Why should i bother doing chores for $10

or they might think "Why do all of the other kids get payed for chores and I don't"

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

im just trying to find a GPU that isnt insanely priced.   me and my son play on my old pc and it still has an radeon 550......  got any spare ones i can buy from you guys lol.  looking to get a radeon 6800 or rtx 3060.  help please lol

@DracarrisI'm not saying mining doesn't use energy

Mining does indeed use energy, and if everyobe started mining they would absolutely use more energy than gaming

But, just because mining use more energy than x activity, why is it bad??

It's like saying gaming uses more electricity than... knitting for example, doesn't make sense to compare other than to highlight it uses electricity

So I suggest what you want to debate on its whether the energy is "wasted" or not

Which in my experience in discussing about mining on several threads, will yield no understanding from your side because it's a subjective thing, whether it's a "waste" or not

Because some people don't see the value in it, while others do

Edit: most of the time people are dismissive though, so I'm not really interested in discussing, since we've done a 20 pages discussion before lol

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Well, I'm not into mining, and I live in tropical area where it's hot all year round. So, I don't think I need that extra heat to my already warm environment.

I guess the reason that Crypto mining use a lot of electricity could be because of miners trying to keep their system cool, means they need air conditioned room for mining, which is probably consuming a lot of energy (a 1hp air-conditioner could consume 750W/h max), and if you install more mining system, you definitely need more cooling. If you live in colder country, you can save energy of your cooling as you don't need much of it.

Also, when talking about energy, there are a few cases where in third world country, miners steal electricity, meaning they don't pay for the electricity they used. They can pretty much escape because the security system is not advance. I guess this actually triggers the bad reputation of miners and electricity. Also, environment as well, because third world country doesn't use much renewable energy.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

I think this video is terrible, it put people at risk of losing a lot of money.cryptocurrency going up and down all the time, anyone doing mining are at risk of the electric bill been high and any money that made due to mining. 

Also, cryptocurrency mining is total unsustainable, due to the need of the cryptocurrency to limit of much is made per year, the more people do mining and the better the tech (e.g. GPU) that people use the more difficulty go up to make the bitcoin, so more GPU and other things are needed just to make one bitcoin. This loop keep going like this at a very unsustainable rate to the point that mining become up unprofitable or all the energy of the earth to keep going. 

Also, more people use cryptocurrency have show that bitcoin is unsustainable, (e.g. need more mining, fees, transaction time, vary amount of transaction per second).  

Ethereum developer understand this problem with mining been unsustainable and to stop Ethereum from been self-destruct they're moving away from proof-of-work (PoW) (mining) to proof of stake (PoS) (non-mining).

I think that many people who are pro-mining, may not know about how unsustainable it is. If bitcoin keep with PoW then a new Power Plant would be needed every day to keep going and in the end would self-destruct. 

So in the end here the point:

• risk of lost of money
  • total unsustainable
  • Environment Disaster (due to been unsustainable in power needs) 
  • There better use for GPU and the power (e.g. Boinc, Folding@home, Gaming)
  • Total waste of power.

I tried mining a week ago just to fuck around with my hardware. The PC is on around 17 hours a day for a week and is only off around 5-12. Based on the experiment, I'd have paid the card (a 1660ti) in around 4 months and the entire PC in a year. Which is not bad tbh. I won't continue though since coal is still the source of electricity in my country.

But the most surprising thing I've noticed is that mining consume much less power than if I were to play AAA games. For instance the card would consume around 75W compared to the 100+W when playing The Witcher 3/HZD. Not to mention the CPU which I put on power saver mode to save power when mining (25W max on a 3600) and 50+W when gaming. Though granted, I don't play games 17 hours a day. At max probably 6 hours a day. But still, this experiment turned me around on the idea of using your gaming rig to mine on the side because I though that mining in general uses so much power from the GPU.

The CTO,  Matjaž Škorjanc, is a convicted hacker who ran a hacking forum and created a botnet. After getting out of jail, he helped start NiceHash. He might have turned himself around, but I wouldn't count on it. Nicehash would be a very good botnet. 

My primary system: Core I7 10700k, 32 gb Trident Z RGB ram@3200mhz, EVGA GTX 970 SSC (will upgrade), NZXT N7 Z490 motherboard (Black), Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB SSD, NZXT C850 PSU, Hyper 212 EVO cooler (getting new water cooler soon), NZXT H510i case. 

My secondary system: Core I7 4820k, 16 gb quad channel 1600mhz ram, GTX 780 reference, Asus PX79LE, SK Hynix GOLD s31 500gb SSD, some 10 yr old Cooler Master 750w psu, Hyper 212, old Cooler Master case.

Laptop: Lenovo l380 yoga I5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd storage)

12 hours ago, A51UK said:

I think this video is terrible, it put people at risk of losing a lot of money.cryptocurrency going up and down all the time, anyone doing mining are at risk of the electric bill been high and any money that made due to mining. 

Also, cryptocurrency mining is total unsustainable, due to the need of the cryptocurrency to limit of much is made per year, the more people do mining and the better the tech (e.g. GPU) that people use the more difficulty go up to make the bitcoin, so more GPU and other things are needed just to make one bitcoin. This loop keep going like this at a very unsustainable rate to the point that mining become up unprofitable or all the energy of the earth to keep going. 

Also, more people use cryptocurrency have show that bitcoin is unsustainable, (e.g. need more mining, fees, transaction time, vary amount of transaction per second).  

Ethereum developer understand this problem with mining been unsustainable and to stop Ethereum from been self-destruct they're moving away from proof-of-work (PoW) (mining) to proof of stake (PoS) (non-mining).

I think that many people who are pro-mining, may not know about how unsustainable it is. If bitcoin keep with PoW then a new Power Plant would be needed every day to keep going and in the end would self-destruct. 

• risk of lost of money
  • total unsustainable
  • Total waste of power.

Environment Disaster (due to been unsustainable in power needs)  far worst sector for that. and this one one that really push for green. ie the big user for it. i see many on reddit sub have them in sheds with solar panels and such.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

On 3/16/2021 at 6:00 AM, A51UK said:

• risk of lost of money
  • total unsustainable
  • Total waste of power.

bruh. a computer is just a big, dynamic resistor. electric heat and a mining rig are literally the same thing. the difference is that one of them gets you money in return. It's literally the reason why Linus wanted to make the video in the first place.

Mining in general uses up a lot of electricity and generates lots of waste heat in return. But if you're using that heat to heat your house, it's not being wasted. 

On 3/15/2021 at 5:31 PM, Lebon14 said:

Existing hardware or not. It *will* push people to go and mine on the new cards. Like on the first page, get rich quick schemes is a rabbit hole.

I stand by my point.

So what? People need to pull the sticks out of their collective asses when it comes to general users mining. Bitch about the massive operations buying hundreds (or more) GPUs to mine on, not the individual users with a couple/few cards mining. This video is very clearly directed at general consumers, the people who'd use existing hardware or buy one (maybe two) newer GPUs to mine on.

17 hours ago, Derangel said:

So what? People need to pull the sticks out of their collective asses when it comes to general users mining. Bitch about the massive operations buying hundreds (or more) GPUs to mine on, not the individual users with a couple/few cards mining. This video is very clearly directed at general consumers, the people who'd use existing hardware or buy one (maybe two) newer GPUs to mine on.

I was very disappoint with Linus on what he said on WAN. I feel he misunderstand the problems and what is cause the problems in the first places.  

The harm that massive operations miner vs individual users make is base the same or higher in individual users case. If one operations miner had 100 GPU vs 100 individual users having 1 GPU is more or less the same harm, but individual users could be worse as there need CPU easy.

Every user that mine are part of the problem due to how cryptocurrency limits how many coins are made in the year. When a new mine / hardwire are added the global network for the cryptocurrency, the difficulty rate of mining goes up. So to get the same amount of return as before you would have to buy a more powerful or more GPU but this is a loop, Making it all unsustainable. So making a video on getting people to mines is total unethical. 

Also, if a cryptocurrency become a wider use currency or the main currency of a country, them it could because huge problems  as it would be like the gold standard where the  country cannot just printer more money when needed. This could be a problem if the recession happen again, as the country would be far more limit on control the problems. Some people say gold standard made the Great Depression worse and longer, the same thing would happen with cryptocurrency. 

I do think it be a great video to talk about the dark / downside of cryptocurrency (economic problems / environment). I hope a writer in LTT see this. 

My favorite part about this, other than watching all the people bitch and moan about how Linus has "forsaken them", is how Linus has once again done his signature "sorry not sorry" "apology".

Or as Quimbly Jones said in the comments:

image.thumb.png.1b6163bf38721ebff841a1115488447f.png

It's the same every time Linus "fucks up".

He gets a bunch of money from sponsors.

His viewers gets mad for various reasons.

Linus posts something to try and calm his users, but in the same post starts defending himself and pushing the blame on others, and then says he will be more careful about it in the future... Only to then do it again a bit later.

It's amazing how many times Linus can get away with pissing on his fans.

4 hours ago, A51UK said:

I was very disappoint with Linus on what he said on WAN. I feel he misunderstand the problems and what is cause the problems in the first places.  

The harm that massive operations miner vs individual users make is base the same or higher in individual users case. If one operations miner had 100 GPU vs 100 individual users having 1 GPU is more or less the same harm, but individual users could be worse as there need CPU easy.

Every user that mine are part of the problem due to how cryptocurrency limits how many coins are made in the year. When a new mine / hardwire are added the global network for the cryptocurrency, the difficulty rate of mining goes up. So to get the same amount of return as before you would have to buy a more powerful or more GPU but this is a loop, Making it all unsustainable. So making a video on getting people to mines is total unethical. 

Also, if a cryptocurrency become a wider use currency or the main currency of a country, them it could because huge problems  as it would be like the gold standard where the  country cannot just printer more money when needed. This could be a problem if the recession happen again, as the country would be far more limit on control the problems. Some people say gold standard made the Great Depression worse and longer, the same thing would happen with cryptocurrency. 

I do think it be a great video to talk about the dark / downside of cryptocurrency (economic problems / environment). I hope a writer in LTT see this. 

It's not one operation having 100 GPUs. It's multiple operations EACH having HUNDREDS of GPUs. More than you'd ever see from the general consumers mining. Without AMD, Nvidia, and AIBs directly selling to mining operations there would be a shit load more cards on the market. None of the blame for this current mess goes onto the end user mining.

Eh, I wouldn't worry too much about the economic effects of crypto. Countries can easily regulate or outright ban it. Anyone that thinks crypto is actually untracable or hard to regulate is fooling themselves. No one is going to make it their primary currency, despite what some people on the internet believe.

Literally zero chances that crypto get mainstream while being decentralized and trustless. You might get at best the FED version of Tether, that's all. No country ever is gonna give up their monetary policy while still being not a failed state. Cryptos, until people get tired of the hype, will be some speculative asset propped by pure delusion, just like the South Sea Company or tulips.