Mine Crypto Before It's Too Late! (SPONSORED)

JonoT
2 hours ago, small guy64 said:

haha that is a good one.

Oddly enough the climate is getting back to normal were I live

I was aiming more to the pandemic, but climate change is our fault as well of course.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

4 hours ago, Grabhanem said:

Community: OMG SO TWOFACED

You mixed up twofaced with hypocritical there.

8 hours ago, Aochan said:

BuT gAmErS wItH 1000 PsUs aNd OC, please. Get a grip on reality.

Yup. Most gamers have at most a 650W PSU, do not OC anything and run a 970 or 1060, that they would maybe like to exchange for a 3060 or 3070 after 5+ years. Ou and of course, they game on average 1-2h a day in contrast to 24/7 mining. This "gaming pollutes as well" is one of the worst arguments from the pro-mining folks here.

19 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

You mixed up twofaced with hypocritical there.

Correction:

Community: your joke about us nitpicking too much about the quality of LTT videos has a tiny grammatical error

6 hours ago, gloop said:

I dislike cryptocurrency and the whole environment surrounding it, but that is lowering yourself to other’s standards. If that was the case about everything, we would barely be functioning as a society because we would say ‘well they’re not doing it, why should I?’  If you want to do something, how about doing something positive for what you believe in rather than negatively impacting what you don’t believe in?

What makes you think I am not, exactly?

Anyway, the whataboutism has been strong the past couple days, and the toxicity of miners all the more clear. But I guess you can't do anything when people are so dumb already buying into an MLM.

2 hours ago, Dracarris said:

This "gaming pollutes as well" is one of the worst arguments from the pro-mining folks here.

https://sites.google.com/site/greeningthebeast/energy/taming-the-energy-use-of-gaming-computers

While gaming PCs represent only 2.5% of the global installed personal computing equipment base, our initial scoping estimate suggests that gaming PCs consumed roughly 75 billion kilowatt-hours per year of electricity globally in 2012, or approximately 20% of all personal desktop computer, notebook, and console energy usage combined.

Sounds familiar?

As for mining energy usage

https://www.google.com/amp/s/markets.businessinsider.com/amp/news/bitcoin-mining-energy-cost-environmental-sustainable-consumption-network-profitability-crypto-2021-3-1030194474

Estimates from the University of Cambridge say the total yearly electricity consumption of the Bitcoin network is 127.70 terawatt-hours, while Digiconomist estimates the network's electrical energy to be 79.63...

127 TWh of mining

Compared to 75TWh of gaming... In 2012 (it has grown since, estimated in the article is double by 2020, assuming no pandemic)

Not too far off amirite?

Steam 2012: 5 million concurrent users

Steam 2021: 25 million concurrent users

Maybe it's a little bit more than doubled...

Edited by Moonzy
Did some oopsie

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

58 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Wow, what a quality source. So they assume

- roughly every seventh human on earth games

- each gaming PC is used on average 4.4h/day for gaming.

NEVER EVER.

In addition, the quoted consumption of gaming PCs includes 50% of the energy for non-gaming usage as regular office/productivity machine. Also, the estimated kWh/y numbers for the gaming PCs represent between 70% - 90% of the entire energy consumption of my whole household, which includes a gaming PC and full electric appliances.

Those numbers are simply way over the top, in which wild way however they have been estimated. Meanwhile, crypto energy consumption has surpassed those of whole countries.

I've never been this angry at Linus for a video. Never.

I've been slowly buying hardware for a new rig to replace a 10yo piece of garbage.

When I heard that linus was gonna start VAG(ina), I had hope to find one of the GPU I was looking to buy (Either EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra or Asus EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 ROG-Strix). And since I was building a PC already and wanted to play more than some 10yo games, I could get into that program...

But that video frustrated me TO NO END. One of the major reasons, besides the silicon shortage and over-the-top demand, is the fucking mining. Minerssnag our GPUs even before they're out with distributors. Then, Linus does this sponsored video on HOW TO FUCKING MINE. And the week before they announced VAG on the WAN show. It's called being fucking hypocrites. Want to make things better on one side but then encourage what things worse on another. I'm glad that video was somewhat ratio'ed.

Anyway, gotta wait some more years with that shitty GTX 680... I think I might have to build that new PC with a Ryzen 5900 and pair it with a 8yo GPU in it...

FFS

I hope Linus reads this.

3 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

NEVER EVER.

In addition, the quoted consumption of gaming PCs includes 50% of the energy for non-gaming usage as regular office/productivity machine. Also, the estimated kWh/y numbers for the gaming PCs represent between 70% - 90% of the entire energy consumption of my whole household, which includes a gaming PC and full electric appliances.

Those numbers are simply way over the top, in which wild way however they have been estimated. Meanwhile, crypto energy consumption has surpassed those of whole countries.

Got any sources to prove any of this? Or is this another one of those "I refuse to accept your sources but can't seem to find any of my own"

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, Lebon14 said:

But that video frustrated me TO NO END. One of the major reasons, besides the silicon shortage and over-the-top demand, is the fucking mining. Minerssnag our GPUs even before they're out with distributors. Then, Linus does this sponsored video on HOW TO FUCKING MINE. And the week before they announced VAG on the WAN show. It's called being fucking hypocrites. Want to make things better on one side but then encourage what things worse on another. I'm glad that video was somewhat ratio'ed.

I must have misunderstood Linus here. I thought he said on your existing hardware and not "Go out and buy every GPU you can"...

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

10 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

That's not a bad assumption.

Whether it be on PC, console, or a phone, probably 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 people games.

Yes, that's pretty accurate. Some people maybe 1 hour a day, others maybe 6 hours a day. Do the math (with more data points), and it comes out to around 4.4 hours a day.

NEVER EVER.

Got any sources there bud?
Otherwise this is the perfect example of a bad argument.

7 minutes ago, Lebon14 said:

Anyway, gotta wait some more years with that shitty GTX 680... I think I might have to build that new PC with a Ryzen 5900 and pair it with a 8yo GPU in it...

GTX 680? Fancy fancy. Try running a GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB and tell me what you think.

elephants

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I must have misunderstood Linus here. I thought he said on your existing hardware and not "Go out and buy every GPU you can"...

Existing hardware or not. It *will* push people to go and mine on the new cards. Like on the first page, get rich quick schemes is a rabbit hole.

I stand by my point.

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

GTX 680? Fancy fancy. Try running a GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB and tell me what you think.

I also have a GTX 460 in my wardrobe... If this one fails, I'll have worse than your 650 Ti. >.>

Just now, Lebon14 said:

Existing hardware or not. It *will* push people to go and mine on the new cards. Like on the first page, get rich quick schemes is a rabbit hole.

I stand by my point.

I mean, if we're going with that sort of logic, benchmarks will push more people to buy new hardware. Let's get angry at everyone that's done a benchmark or review of any recent GPU or 5900x and 5950x.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I mean, if we're going with that sort of logic, benchmarks will push more people to buy new hardware. Let's get angry at everyone that's done a benchmark or review of any recent GPU or 5900x and 5950x.

Intel and AMD push their own benchmarks, are we supposed to be mad at them as well?

This nicehash sponsorship reminds me of VPN sponsorship videos, so many people asked if the VPN they bought was safe because Linus promoted a VPN that was caught doing shady things.

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Intel and AMD push their own benchmarks, are we supposed to be mad at them as well?

They push for them, and more or less dictate on sponsored videos. On non sponsored videos they don't. I don't watch sponsored videos for benchmarks or anything like that. At the end of the day it's an add. You may as well just go off what they put out in press releases. The common theme around those is "wait for independent benchmarks".

9 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

This nicehash sponsorship reminds me of VPN sponsorship videos, so many people asked if the VPN they bought was safe because Linus promoted a VPN that was caught doing shady things.

This one I do agree with. If you go back to one of my first posts in this thread I didn't mention the VPN sponsor, but I mentioned the sponsored part of this.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Yup. Most gamers have at most a 650W PSU, do not OC anything and run a 970 or 1060, that they would maybe like to exchange for a 3060 or 3070 after 5+ years. Ou and of course, they game on average 1-2h a day in contrast to 24/7 mining. This "gaming pollutes as well" is one of the worst arguments from the pro-mining folks here.

so many poster on reddit ask can i run a 3080 or 90 with a 650 watt gpu... so many i skip over there post now. for help.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

36 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Got any sources to prove any of this? Or is this another one of those "I refuse to accept your sources but can't seem to find any of my own"

For the yearly consumption of a gaming PC I named the fact that this would mean our household spends between 70%-90% of its overall energy on my gaming PC, which quite obviously complete bullshit.

28 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Yes, that's pretty accurate. Some people maybe 1 hour a day, others maybe 6 hours a day. Do the math (with more data points), and it comes out to around 4.4 hours a day.

Absolutely not. The amount of people that even has 6h of spare time at their hand for gaming EACH DAY is tiny for quite obvious reasons. They are limited to a sub-sub-group of male adolsecents/young adults in a specific age bracket. And of course you will not find any reliable sources on this topic, so no I will not search for a source that comes up with some wild estimation that supports my views.

28 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Got any sources there bud?

I already quoted reports by BBC and others which demonstrate to bizarre amounts of energy spent on crypto in other mining discussions here and I am sick and tired of mining fanboys over and over pulling the same haltless arguments and having to repost the same sources over and over again.

Just now, Dracarris said:

I already quoted reports by BBC and others which demonstrate to bizarre amounts of energy spent on crypto in other mining discussions here

No, that's not what I meant.
I meant sources for your claim about the energy consumption website.

I am sick and tired of mining fanboys over and over pulling the same haltless arguments and having to repost the same sources over and over again.

I am NOT a mining fanboy.

I don't agree with the giant GPU mining farm idea,

But I am against people who spread misinformation about mining and the like.

That said:
@Moonzy

elephants

9 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

I already quoted reports by BBC and others which demonstrate to bizarre amounts of energy spent on crypto in other mining discussions here and I am sick and tired of mining fanboys over and over pulling the same haltless arguments and having to repost the same sources over and over again.

Where? I went back through all 6 pages and couldn't find it. I'm not trying to be argumentative. I actually want to see both sides. Just like the source you are referring to there is making assumptions based on group averages, isn't it possible that the ones about miners do the same?

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

18 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Where? I went back through all 6 pages and couldn't find it. I'm not trying to be argumentative. I actually want to see both sides. Just like the source you are referring to there is making assumptions based on group averages, isn't it possible that the ones about miners do the same?

It was in another thread. Here you go:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48853230

grafik.thumb.png.b021660f04aa2cfd0a5fe6565ebdb343.png

This is just insane, and this is Bitcoin only (https://www.cbeci.org/cbeci/comparisons).

12 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

It was in another thread. Here you go:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48853230

-snip-

This is just insane, and this is Bitcoin only (https://www.cbeci.org/cbeci/comparisons).

This does not disprove @IkeaGnome's statement, nor does it back up your claims about it.

We would like sources for this:

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

NEVER EVER.

The bolded part is what you have proved.

The underlined part is what you have not proved, and what we would like sources for.

elephants

8 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

This does not disprove @IkeaGnome's statement, nor does it back up your claims about it.

We would like sources for this:

The bolded part is what you have proved.

The underlined part is what you have not proved, and what we would like sources for.

I already told you that it is next to impossible to find reliable data on the energy consumption of gaming or average gaming time and that I will not participate in quoting wild estimations that support my side of the story.

I gave you plausible cause as for why >4hrs/day gaming is most probably BS and hard proof for why the stated yearly energy consumption of a gaming PC is BS. Do you want a copy of my electricity bill or do you accept that as is?

I already told you that it is next to impossible to find reliable data on the energy consumption of gaming or average gaming time and that I will not participate in quoting wild estimations that support my side of the story.

Then we have no reason to believe you. We have evidence, you don't.

I gave you plausible cause as for why >4hrs/day gaming is most probably BS

"Pluasible evidence" is you saying "no that's wrong' to us.

1 minute ago, Dracarris said:

hard proof for why the stated yearly energy consumption of a gaming PC is BS.

Where was that, exactly?

I didn't see it anywhere.

elephants

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

They push for them, and more or less dictate on sponsored videos. On non sponsored videos they don't. I don't watch sponsored videos for benchmarks or anything like that. At the end of the day it's an add. You may as well just go off what they put out in press releases. The common theme around those is "wait for independent benchmarks".

This video is an ad, although LTT might be influencing viewers that don't have an extra GPU to mine on or don't have a newer GPU which would be much more efficient for mining, to go out and pay scalpers for a GPU or buy a whole gaming PC to mine on. But I don't watch the sponsored videos either,  and anything i'm interested in purchasing I get more than one source to make sure the info is accurate.

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

This one I do agree with. If you go back to one of my first posts in this thread I didn't mention the VPN sponsor, but I mentioned the sponsored part of this.

I agree with your first post in this thread, I think its not the greatest time to be taking a mining sponsorship, fine if LTT would've done it when GPUs were still close to MSRP, but now that there are shortages of silicon, and the only way to buy a GPU is to either sign up for stock bots, have a local store, or wait in a queue, so I can see how people would be upset over the video even though its an ad.