Mine Crypto Before It's Too Late! (SPONSORED)

JonoT

Been mining on Nicehash for about a month now, gotta say the free money is pretty sweet

9 minutes ago, JonoT said:

Crypto has never been hotter, so why aren't you taking advantage of your expensive GPU through NiceHash or your own programming?

I can't get an expensive GPU beacuse of Crypto mining, unless you mean my GTX 760 I'm using as a temporary GPU... 😐

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

I find it funny

linus: makes LTT varified gamer program to stop GPU mining

also linus: I am gonna show you how to mine before thing are late

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

If only Kepler supported CUDA 5.0 or NiceHash supported CUDA 3.0...

RIP my Kepler GPUs and their inability to mine 😞

elephants

I wonder if the affiliates for the VAG program tilts their head at this video.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Is there any projects to donate free GPU time to gamers?

I can give at least 10 hours to any fellow gamer. It can be gamers answer to miners and scalpers.

22 minutes ago, sub68 said:

I find it funny

linus: makes LTT varified gamer program to stop GPU mining

also linus: I am gonna show you how to mine before thing are late

I don't see why you think he is contradicting himself. He specifically states that it might make sense for some people to mine using computers or old hardware they already own, and within the first 30 seconds of the video...

Quotes from the first 30 seconds of the video:

"Even if you're running an older PC, it could be worthwhile for you to start mining."

"We'll be showing you guys how you can mine on your existing hardware..."

5 minutes ago, RainfallWithin said:

I don't see why you think he is contradicting himself. He specifically states that it might make sense for some people to mine using computers or old hardware they already own, and within the first 30 seconds of the video...

it that he is saying that mining is taking away things

but I just find it funny he is saying don't mine than he says yeah it fine.

yeah he said old gear but new gear will always do it more effiencintly

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

40 minutes ago, RainfallWithin said:

Quotes from the first 30 seconds of the video:

"Even if you're running an older PC, it could be worth while for you to start mining."

"We'll be showing you guys how you can mine on your existing hardware..."

Well, for me :
1. Linus sometimes talks about environment, and this vid might make almost every GPU in the world running 24/7, which uses a ton of electricity and lets off a ton of whatever bad.

2. Just like narcotics, "Free Money" is addictive and debilitating. And most people will want more after they tasted it once.
    - Considering current stock, it might make some people who have tasted it and want more buy from scalped price, which will increase the price more. When this happens new miners will have a longer ROI, only the big and old time miners will be able to buy with ease. When this happens, we'll see whether new miners will eventually be able to buy a GPU off their mining profit.
   - It might make PC Parts vendor feels more justified to increase their price (hence scrub all the complaints about MSRP price being too high). I somehow can already see/hear a company goes : "Hey its not a great GPU in terms of gaming performance & price ratio, but it can mine quite well, hence our high price tag".

3. And considering an old GPU, it might not last that long when being used for mining, which then once it breaks the owner will have to buy a new one, even at scalped price if he needs GPU that much. Since it's better than no GPU to use at all.

4. Once the price is rampant enough, most likely PC world gonna become like long time ago, whereas most people can't afford a decent gaming PC. Sure, we can think "They can just shell out the money first then get it back through mining", but not all people might have the kind of money needed to be shelled out at the start.

5. It might promotes lazyness due to the "Free Money" effect. Then our family / relatives / whatever might look at us weird again, even if we are not doing it. Just like they did long ago when they know we often sit in front of our PC looking at games graphic. Took years to separate the word "Gamer" from all bad connotations that came with it back then.

6. Playing crypto is like playing in stock market (Forgive me if I'm wrong, I never dabbled in it), we all know what happens to most people that tried to dabble in stock market without enough knowledge and/or insight. Especially once governments feels that it's time for them to stop it from going rampant, since cryptocurrency going rampant might destabilize a country's legitimate currency and/or the overall situation of the country itself.

7. If it's untraceable enough, the cryptocurrency might be used for black markets & fund something that shouldn't ever be funded.

I know that these are all me surmising and all are long-terms implications that might or might not happen. I just wonder whether Linus & Co think of it before making the video. Especially the part where it might destroy someone (and/or their family) life.

I also know that some people will research on their own and do it even without Linus making this kinda video. But there's a meaning behind the word "INFLUENCER", and Linus is one of the top 3 (if not the very top) tech/pc influencer out there. There's a difference in terms of effect between me making a video like this, and LTT.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Have to say the nicehash thing really put me off after the recent bad behavior by the company around Phoenix Miner(see developers response on bitcoin forum).

It was shady in the extreme and clearly not only an attack on developers that rightly and reasonably wanted to preserve their anonymity, but the users of their own site. Quite a few people reformatted their systems off the back of baseless claims that Phoenix miner had been compromised and they still haven't retracted the post and went and banned people criticizing them on Reddit, that isn't reputable behavior.

I get you have to make money, but you usually go to the effort to do balanced pieces even when they are really ad pieces, you could easily have done a more neutral how to mine piece and simply mentioned them as an option rather than basically kept it specific to them. I get they wanted an advert, but given how downright shady they are on both the reputation of key individuals behind the company having criminal records and their on record behavior I'm disappointed that you have let your standards slip and doubled down on them like you have here.

I don't have a problem with the premise of mining, I've got my current gaming rig and my old one mining when not in use, it's still cold so it's basically free heat and pays the electric bill. It's also subsidized my being able to afford getting the only 30 series card I could find: a 3090. Which from an ROI point is rubbish, but when I was prepared to buy a 3080 it's more than good enough and in two weeks already payed off nearly 10% of the value of the card and will pay off the difference in no time and of course I get to use a 3090 now vs a 3080 later! It's made a huge difference to my VR experience especially moving up from a 1070!

Anyway to sum up I'm just disappointed that LTT let the standard slip on this one.

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

Well, for me :
1. Linus sometimes talks about environment, and this vid might make almost every GPU in the world running 24/7, which uses a ton of electricity and lets off a ton of whatever bad.

2. Just like narcotics, "Free Money" is addictive and debilitating. And most people will want more after they tasted it once.
    - Considering current stock, it might make some people who have tasted it and want more buy from scalped price, which will increase the price more. When this happens new miners will have a longer ROI, only the big and old time miners will be able to buy with ease. When this happens, we'll see whether new miners will eventually be able to buy a GPU off their mining profit.
   - It might make PC Parts vendor feels more justified to increase their price (hence scrub all the complaints about MSRP price being too high). I somehow can already see/hear a company goes : "Hey its not a great GPU in terms of gaming performance & price ratio, but it can mine quite well, hence our high price tag".

3. And considering an old GPU, it might not last that long when being used for mining, which then once it breaks the owner will have to buy a new one, even at scalped price if he needs GPU that much.

4. Once the price is rampant enough, most likely PC world gonna become like long time ago, whereas most people can't afford a decent gaming PC. Sure, we can think "They can just shell out the money first then get it back through mining", but not all people might have the kind of money needed to be shelled out at the start.

5. It might promotes lazyness due to the "Free Money" effect. Then our family / relatives / whatever might look at us weird again. Just like they did long ago about gamers. Took years to separate the word "Gamer" from all bad connotations that came with it back then.

I know that these are all me surmising and all are long-terms implications that might or might not happen. I just wonder whether Linus & Co think of it before making the video.

I agree with your point about the environment. I don't do any mining myself since I live in the hottest city in Europe. If I still lived in the country in which I was born, which is cold the majority of the year, then I would mine using my existing hardware instead of using central heating with radiators, which makes sense to do; I would be trading one heat source for another.

I also agree that mining isn't free money, but I do think that using old hardware is fine, as long as people try to use the wasted energy (heat mostly).

I think that LinusTechTips have realised that some people may react angrily to a video such as this if they bought graphics cards for this purpose, but they've done a good job making it clear from the beginning that it's to guide people who have hardware already and could use it for something. 

23 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Well, for me :

3. And considering an old GPU, it might not last that long when being used for mining, which then once it breaks the owner will have to buy a new one, even at scalped price if he needs GPU that much.

5. It might promotes lazyness due to the "Free Money" effect. Then our family / relatives / whatever might look at us weird again. Just like they did long ago about gamers. Took years to separate the word "Gamer" from all bad connotations that came with it back then.

I know that these are all me surmising and all are long-terms implications that might or might not happen. I just wonder whether Linus & Co think of it before making the video.

1. Crypto mining is definitely not "good" for the environment in the sense that it uses a lot of electricity. However, most major mining operations typically use renewable generation sources for that reason (as well as the fact that these days they're usually the cheapest source). Also, like Linus mentioned in the video, for people in colder climates, a PC is pretty much just as efficient as a space heater, so you can literally heat a room and make money at the same time. So I would say you could hardly call mining bad for the environment entirely, I guess it's pretty much up to the individual situation and whether or not you think it's worth it. 

2. People will always look for easy get rich quick schemes, crypto mining hasn't introduced this, it's always been true, and to think that's somehow crypto mining's fault is kinda ridiculous. And yeah, I guess technically if more people get into mining it could worsen GPU stock. But in general I think way too many people put the blame solely on crypto, when that is clearly not the sole cause of stock issues.

- Again, GPU mining is definitely part of the reason prices are inflated from vendors. But to blame solely crypto mining makes no sense. It's simply inflated demand and lack of supply. Plenty of older GPUs that cannot mine are also insanely inflated in price. Hell, Nvidia pulled that marketing move to limit mining on the RTX 3060 and look how much good that did for the 3060 stock. GPU prices are inflated because of extreme demand, not because of evil crypto miners. 

3. It's pretty hard to show that crypto is somehow really bad for GPUs when gaming isn't. GPUs are typically aggressively underclocked for mining, and run much cooler and consume much less power than when gaming. This is typically offset by much longer run times compared to gaming, but it's not gonna brick a card (especially if you take care of it, keep the card dust free, and re-paste the card when it needs it). I don't see much evidence to prove that GPU mining destroys cards at a noticeably faster rate than gaming to cause a lack of older used cards (especially consider many older used cards are not even profitable or useable for mining anyway).

4. You could argue that building a PC right now might be less affordable thanks to little supply and no demand, but that pretty much only applies to GPUs. All other PC components are relatively available and for reasonable pricing. Frankly, GPU MSRPs were already on the rise the last several years. There are plenty of budget options for people out there, and some older used cards can make killer gaming PCs for a lot less than buying a brand new card.

5. I don't know if I really understand this point. Not sure how crypto mining would "make you lazy", it's nothing more than a hobby to make some side cash. If you are operating a mining farm big enough to be your sole source of income, it's probably a decent amount of work anyway. And let's be real, that's not what Linus is promoting here.

I knew immediately people weren't gonna be happy with Linus making this video. I am not sure why, because with mining as profitable and easy as it is, it's not a bad gig for many people. Heck, for someone who is in desperate need of a new GPU, they can buy one at a scalped price and quickly mine the difference of the extra they paid. So considering it's quite obvious that mining is not the sole factor here to blame for terrible GPU stock and prices, I don't see how someone could vilify it. Everyone is just looking for an easy scapegoat to blame because they can't get their gaming GPU at the price they wanted.

But also on a side note, I don't necessarily like NiceHash anyway. They charge very high fees, have some rather sketchy business practices, and there are definitely better ways to make money mining. But, it's a sponsored video (quite clearly says that).

4 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

They could be running on renewables, but it does have an impact indeed. I don't know the division between the impact of Bitcoin and other cryptos. LMG is also a business that needs to make money, so I don't blame them for making content highlighting both sides.

5 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

To be brutally honest, if you go out and buy a $2500 GPU for mining without considering ROI, the assumptions you make etc. that's on you. PC parts vendors already feel justified jacking up the price, because people are already buying them regardless.

7 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

3. And considering an old GPU, it might not last that long when being used for mining, which then once it breaks the owner will have to buy a new one, even at scalped price if he needs GPU that much. Since it's better than no GPU to use at all.

True somewhat. Most miners take good care of their cards as it benefits both your profits and logevity of the card. It'll be problematic if you don't care and just go full throttle without any concern for temperatures. Otherwise it's just another load for the GPU just like gaming, which will also destroy your card if you let it go rampant without proper cooling or push your OCs too far regarding voltage or again temperature.

11 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Fair. The current situation, of which mining is only a part mind you, has exacerbated it driving even the low end cards to high prices.

14 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Because media likes to portray them as whatever makes them the most money. If you make living off of mining and are happy doing nothing, the rest can go F themselves. Same for gaming. If lazyness was the problem they'd look down on you regardless of what you did. "Gamers" still has bad connotations. Just look at the whole PC masterrace and gamers vs miners debates. Some really consider them the finest of beings that are the only ones deserving of GPUs.

8 minutes ago, warriorscot said:

Have to say the nicehash thing really put me off after the recent bad behavior by the company around Phoenix Miner(see developers response on bitcoin forum).

It was shady in the extreme and clearly not only an attack on developers that rightly and reasonably wanted to preserve their anonymity, but the users of their own site. Quite a few people reformatted their systems off the back of baseless claims that Phoenix miner had been compromised and they still haven't retracted the post and went and banned people criticizing them on Reddit, that isn't reputable behavior.

I get you have to make money, but you usually go to the effort to do balanced pieces even when they are really ad pieces, you could easily have done a more neutral how to mine piece and simply mentioned them as an option rather than basically kept it specific to them. I get they wanted an advert, but given how downright shady they are on both the reputation of key individuals behind the company having criminal records and their on record behavior I'm disappointed that you have let your standards slip and doubled down on them like you have here.

Fair points, though this might have been filmed before this whole scandal already.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, tikker said:

They could be running on renewables, but it does have an impact indeed. I don't know the division between the impact of Bitcoin and other cryptos. LMG is also a business that needs to make money, so I don't blame them for making content highlighting both sides.

To be brutally honest, if you go out and buy a $2500 GPU for mining without considering ROI, the assumptions you make etc. that's on you. PC parts vendors already feel justified jacking up the price, because people are already buying them regardless.

True somewhat. Most miners take good care of their cards as it benefits both your profits and logevity of the card. It'll be problematic if you don't care and just go full throttle without any concern for temperatures. Otherwise it's just another load for the GPU just like gaming, which will also destroy your card if you let it go rampant without proper cooling or push your OCs too far regarding voltage or again temperature.

Fair. The current situation, of which mining is only a part mind you, has exacerbated it driving even the low end cards to high prices.

Because media likes to portray them as whatever makes them the most money. If you make living off of mining and are happy doing nothing, the rest can go F themselves. Same for gaming. If lazyness was the problem they'd look down on you regardless of what you did. "Gamers" still has bad connotations. Just look at the whole PC masterrace and gamers vs miners debates. Some really consider them the finest of beings that are the only ones deserving of GPUs.

Fair points, though this might have been filmed before this whole scandal already.

Sure it could have been filmed then and by the date reference in it we know it definitely was, however it was posted today and surely good practice when you delay your videos this much is to do a final look to see if your sponsor that is historically a little shady hasn't done something wrong in the meantime. They also like I said could have hedged their bets with a more neutral piece, even after the hack if you lurk the crypto community nicehash has a bad reputation for things after the hack.

Get more heat on the cheapest PNY 2080 super card i could find in june 2020? I don't think so.. Knowing i would have to tax it, dont feel its worth it.
(Conext to the cheapest, every other 2080s card costed some 250-300€ more than the 2080s pny i found lol)

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Ah yes, the eternal war between mining vs gaming, starting again

I do agree with nicehash not having the level of decency we're used to, but I think linus might explain their decision in this week's wan show, so I'm watching that with my eyes peeled

7 minutes ago, RainfallWithin said:

I agree with your point about the environment. I don't do any mining myself since I live in the hottest city in Europe. If I still lived in the country in which I was born, which is cold the majority of the year, then I would mine using my existing hardware instead of using central heating with radiators, which makes sense to do; I would be trading one heat source for another.

I also agree that mining isn't free money, but I do think that using old hardware is fine, as long as people try to use the wasted energy (heat mostly).

I think that LinusTechTips have realised that some people may react angrily to a video such as this if they bought graphics cards for this purpose, but they've done a good job making it clear from the beginning that it's to guide people who have hardware already and could use it for something. 

Well yeah, Linus made it clear right from the beginning.
But if we were to think that using an old GPU with it's wear and tear already to run on high for mining, it might break and leave the owner without a GPU in current stock/price issue.

There's always a long-term effect for something.

For me, that's probably like saying to someone that it's okay to eat fried fatty food all the time, while knowing that the subject doesn't even have a health insurance. And in this case, LTT is like a Doctor while I'm just a friend/bystander.

6 minutes ago, TheBahrbarian said:

1. Crypto mining is definitely not "good" for the environment in the sense that it uses a lot of electricity. However, most major mining operations typically use renewable generation sources for that reason (as well as the fact that these days they're usually the cheapest source). Also, like Linus mentioned in the video, for people in colder climates, a PC is pretty much just as efficient as a space heater, so you can literally heat a room and make money at the same time. So I would say you could hardly call mining bad for the environment entirely, I guess it's pretty much up to the individual situation and whether or not you think it's worth it. 

2. People will always look for easy get rich quick schemes, crypto mining hasn't introduced this, it's always been true, and to think that's somehow crypto mining's fault is kinda ridiculous. And yeah, I guess technically if more people get into mining it could worsen GPU stock. But in general I think way too many people put the blame solely on crypto, when that is clearly not the sole cause of stock issues.

- Again, GPU mining is definitely part of the reason prices are inflated from vendors. But to blame solely crypto mining makes no sense. It's simply inflated demand and lack of supply. Plenty of older GPUs that cannot mine are also insanely inflated in price. Hell, Nvidia pulled that marketing move to limit mining on the RTX 3060 and look how much good that did for the 3060 stock. GPU prices are inflated because of extreme demand, not because of evil crypto miners. 

3. It's pretty hard to show that crypto is somehow really bad for GPUs when gaming isn't. GPUs are typically aggressively underclocked for mining, and run much cooler and consume much less power than when gaming. This is typically offset by much longer run times compared to gaming, but it's not gonna brick a card (especially if you take care of it, keep the card dust free, and re-paste the card when it needs it). I don't see much evidence to prove that GPU mining destroys cards at a noticeably faster rate than gaming to cause a lack of older used cards (especially consider many older used cards are not even profitable or useable for mining anyway).

4. You could argue that building a PC right now might be less affordable thanks to little supply and no demand, but that pretty much only applies to GPUs. All other PC components are relatively available and for reasonable pricing. Frankly, GPU MSRPs were already on the rise the last several years. There are plenty of budget options for people out there, and some older used cards can make killer gaming PCs for a lot less than buying a brand new card.

5. I don't know if I really understand this point. Not sure how crypto mining would "make you lazy", it's nothing more than a hobby to make some side cash. If you are operating a mining farm big enough to be your sole source of income, it's probably a decent amount of work anyway. And let's be real, that's not what Linus is promoting here.

I knew immediately people weren't gonna be happy with Linus making this video. I am not sure why, because with mining as profitable and easy as it is, it's not a bad gig for many people. Heck, for someone who is in desperate need of a new GPU, they can buy one at a scalped price and quickly mine the difference of the extra they paid. So considering it's quite obvious that mining is not the sole factor here to blame for terrible GPU stock and prices, I don't see how someone could vilify it. Everyone is just looking for an easy scapegoat to blame because they can't get their gaming GPU at the price they wanted.

But also on a side note, I don't necessarily like NiceHash anyway. They charge very high fees, have some rather sketchy business practices, and there are definitely better ways to make money mining. But, it's a sponsored video (quite clearly says that).

Well, most mining rig are open bench/case, whereas gaming PC usually a closed one full with unicorn fart. xD
Plus, the damage mining might cause to the GPU of course varies from case to case. If the GPU abused enough it might break sooner.

It's a hobby for those who wants to treat it like a hobby. If a kid gets $100 a month or more for only sitting around, the kid might think "Why should i bother doing chores for $10". Something like that, It differs from person to person of course, not everyone is the same. Hence why "Give the fishing rod, not the fish" idiom/proverb/whatever it's called exist.

I'm neither happy nor angry about this video, Like I said, I just wonder whether or not LTT had think of the long-term implication(s) it might induce.

4 minutes ago, tikker said:

Renewables is a fair point for the electricity usage issue, but then again, not everyone has it or can afford it.

Yeah, the ROI point is based on each person's ability to gauge stuffs. My main focus of point (2) is that if it happens like I said, then it's scalpers galore to no end. If the price is high enough that most new builder & new miner cant afford due to bad ROI doesn't mean the old timers & big farms can't afford it too. They already recouped their former investments and have enough capital to buy more even at higher price if needed. Not all miners think like that of course, mostly aim for MSRP or near MSRP still I'm sure.

But yea it'll means bad stock still, and scalpers galore.

Don't get me wrong and think I'm attacking LTT. This is just my viewpoint that is based on just logic that my stupid brain can think of, and a lot (if not all) of what I said is me surmising, assuming, or straight out guessing. Which is up to be discussed, as long it's a healthy discussion.

Like I've said, I'm neither happy or angry about this video.

Refresh before you reply

2 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

It's a hobby for those who wants to treat it like a hobby. If a kid gets $100 a month or more for only sitting around, the kid might think "Why should i bother doing chores for $10". Something like that, It differs from person to person of course, not everyone is the same. Hence why "Give the fishing rod, not the fish" idiom/proverb/whatever it's called exist.

So, I have a more than full time job. Having a rig run while I'm not home. No one else would be using my computer is "Why should I bother doing chores for $10?"

But yea it'll means bad stock still, and scalpers galore.

Scalped prices are already stabilized to coin prices. Nothing is changing here.

new miner cant afford due to bad ROI doesn't mean the old timers & big farms can't afford it too.

I think if you did the ROI math you'd be surprised...

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

You know what, people can type all the essays they want, but here's my take -

This genuinely made me angry (at first) because this doesn't jive with the Linus I know, because this video can be easily misinterpreted as Linus only caring about profits from sponsorships rather than the needs of his audience to stay informed.

But then I remembered that I am currently struggling with emotional regulation, and that if Linus truly didn't care about his audience he won't have released the video to begin with to inform them of this opportunity to make some profit (click spoiler if you want to read more about my take).

Spoiler

Now I'm just sad because I know of people who have been struggling with emotional regulation their entire lives and have to entirely stay away from certain stuff on the Internet just to keep their sanity... I don't want to become one of those people, because as someone who needs exposure therapy I don't want to shy away from stuff that can be therapeutic even if it makes me angry once in a while.

Thankfully I was able to calm down before I broke another mouse, and I know people aren't "supposed to" share details about their private lives on the internet.  But there's just too many mentally ill people out there for me to choose not to say something about this matter.

I also realize that a lot of people might judge me for posting what seems like a "threat" to Linus to not post "certain kinds" of videos; but the fact remains that mental health issues remain what I believe to be something which people don't talk about often enough, and as someone who both have experienced such issues myself and have seen other people experienced such issues I can tell anyone for a fact that the more people tend to try to hide their issues, more often than not the issue becomes worse and worse.

If this way of coping (e.g. talking about the bad parts of my personal experience) gets this message deleted because it may trigger others, so be it; I've been through enough at this point.

So, this is a bit sad... 

As others have pointed out, this whole behaviour is super hypocritical. Usually advocating for gamers, even getting your verified gamer programm or whatever on the way, but then  promoting the very shit industry that's leading to one of the biggest fuckups in tech history. I know. Linus hasn't exactly stated to buy new graphics cards for mining, but what does he thinks is going to happen when people get into mining because of this video? This i BS... Besides the enviromental impact its just super painful for gamers these days and LTT can't seem to skip on a coupl bucks promoting this BS. 

Call me bitter, call me childish, but I'm so angry like I haven't been in a long time. I really liked the channel and brand (even though i liked the more unprofessional videos in the beginning more, not a fan of this commercialization, but oh well...) you made interesting videos, but this is just a huge No for me. I will unsub from anything that has do with LTT, I will go out of my way to not get in contact with anything LTT and most certainly not recommend your videos to anybody anymore. I honestly wish you all the worst and hope you fail miserably. (Not that that seems likely, but it seems like a good way to express my disgust)

13 minutes ago, linuxChips2600 said:

You know what, people can type all the essays they want, but here's my take -

This genuinely made me angry (at first) because this doesn't jive with the Linus I know, because this video can be easily misinterpreted as Linus only caring about profits from sponsorships rather than the needs of his audience to stay informed.

But then I remembered that I am currently struggling with emotional regulation, and that if Linus truly didn't care about his audience he won't have released the video to begin with to inform them of this opportunity to make some profit (click spoiler if you want to read more about my take).

Reveal hidden contents

Now I'm just sad because I know of people who have been struggling with emotional regulation their entire lives and have to entirely stay away from certain stuff on the Internet just to keep their sanity... I don't want to become one of those people, because as someone who needs exposure therapy I don't want to shy away from stuff that can be therapeutic even if it makes me angry once in a while.

Thankfully I was able to calm down before I broke another mouse, and I know people aren't "supposed to" share details about their private lives on the internet.  But there's just too many mentally ill people out there for me to choose not to say something about this matter.

I also realize that a lot of people might judge me for posting what seems like a "threat" to Linus to not post "certain kinds" of videos; but the fact remains that mental health issues remain what I believe to be something which people don't talk about often enough, and as someone who both have experienced such issues myself and have seen other people experienced such issues I can tell anyone for a fact that the more people tend to try to hide their issues, more often than not the issue becomes worse and worse.

If this way of coping (e.g. talking about the bad parts of my personal experience) gets this message deleted because it may trigger others, so be it; I've been through enough at this point.

Here's my take on it. He's done crypto videos before. This might not be the best time for one. Pretty much everyone is up in arms right now. A lot of it is people not seeing the bigger picture. They see miners buying cards at high prices and assume that's why they can't get one. There's a shortage that's so bad auto manufacturers are having a hard time making ECMs right now. This puts people against miners. Miners getting attacked from all side puts them in an auto defense mode. Just look at any of the crypto threads in the last two weeks. Even when it's not starting as "miners bad" it turns into "miners bad." Gamers aren't free of fault here. People thinking they need the newest and best ( I am one, look at my signature) and then get angry when they can't get it. They're also forgetting that these are used in everything from rendering to super computers to science. I've yet to see one "video makers bad", "Super computers bad", "Scientists bad" thread. 

As for the sponsor spot, given their recent...issues... it's not the best to take. I think they did worse with R:SL. It is possible that they are actually disconnected enough from mining that they didn't know about the recent..issues.. around NH. 

Edit:

Also, @linuxChips2600I just want to clear up. I did read your spoiler. That's more or less why I'm engaging you here instead of anyone else. If it causes negative feelings, let me know and I'll stop. I really do like talking about stuff like this and trying to look at both side.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

10 minutes ago, eldiabolo said:

So, this is a bit sad... 

As others have pointed out, this whole behaviour is super hypocritical. Usually advocating for gamers, even getting your verified gamer programm or whatever on the way, but then  promoting the very shit industry that's leading to one of the biggest fuckups in tech history. I know. Linus hasn't exactly stated to buy new graphics cards for mining, but what does he thinks is going to happen when people get into mining because of this video? This i BS... Besides the enviromental impact its just super painful for gamers these days and LTT can't seem to skip on a coupl bucks promoting this BS. 

Call me bitter, call me childish, but I'm so angry like I haven't been in a long time. I really liked the channel and brand (even though i liked the more unprofessional videos in the beginning more, not a fan of this commercialization, but oh well...) you made interesting videos, but this is just a huge No for me. I will unsub from anything that has do with LTT, I will go out of my way to not get in contact with anything LTT and most certainly not recommend your videos to anybody anymore. I honestly wish you all the worst and hope you fail miserably. (Not that that seems likely, but it seems like a good way to express my disgust)

So gamers are the ones who deserve cards because they are special?

Look, I don't like mining but I don't really care about this, it's cool and where are people going to even buy cards these days to amp up their mining experience? There are MANY factors at play for the current shortage, miners maybe being one of them but not the only one, not by a long shot. So you can be a pissed kid all you want because LTT is showing people how they could make a bit of money if they wanted, had they said anything about buying cards for this purpose you would have a point but they didn't.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: