I message on Windows?

Frugivore8894

Summary

A new app allows you to use iMessage on other operating systems including Windows. It’s a subscription $10 a month.

Quotes

The app is "using some trickery" to achieve this, with the website's FAQ revealing that an always-online Mac running the Beeper app is needed to use as a bridge. Alternately, Beeper will ship a "Jailbroken iPhone with the Beeper app installed which bridges to iMessage" to users unable to use a Mac.

My thoughts

It appears that they are use if some kind of server running your messages on a Mac on there side and then translating them on to there app. I understand the fee but it seems to me quite expensive but if you have to use iMessage it might be worth it.

Sources

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/01/21/beeper-brings-imessage-to-android-and-windows/

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qm9Mwc

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

Other projects I am working on 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

Use KVM.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

4 minutes ago, Frugivore8894 said:

It’s a subscription $10 a month.

Why not just send an SMS? 

5 minutes ago, Frugivore8894 said:

It appears that they are use if some kind of server running your messages on a Mac on there side and then translating them on to there app.

Oh, so you're paying them to read all of your inbound and outbound messages? For $10/month they better offer advice on talking to girls and suggest some pickup lines to get the conversation started.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Oh, so you're paying them to read all of your inbound and outbound messages? For $10/month they better offer advice on talking to girls and suggest some pickup lines to get the conversation started.

According to the WAN show last week, the best pickup line is 'I only use iMessage". Drops the panties 100% of the time, allegedly.

20 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Lol! i agree it seems a little sketch. Who know where it will go.

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

Why though, 10$ a month is a waste of money. You can pickup an iphone 5 or 6 for like 20-40$ and use imessage on that.

I would guess that it will go away quite fast. sorta like Quibi.

Main Project:

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

The fact that they support Signal should trigger a little worry about how they are accessing/displaying encrypted messages. Don't trust this one bit.

As somebody who just bought an iPad for school, iMessage (among other Apple integrations, features, and apps) is making me seriously consider my next phone being an iPhone and I would love to have it on my Windows desktop. That being said I am inherently suspicious of any services like this that go around Apple’s restrictions, especially at this price point.  I have heard of a similar iMessage forwarding program that you can download onto a Mac to forward messages to SMS or to other text clients. Due to the closed nature of Mac OS itself, renting Mac mini instances in the cloud is probably the only way the service can function which somewhat justifies the cost of it.  I still wouldn’t be surprised if Apple tries to shut this one down soon.

Arch is better than Ubuntu. Fight me peko.

This app is based off the matrix protocol, which is notably used by governments in France and Germany. It works on the server side and is not just a fancy gui that combines all the apps.

The protocol (matrix) uses the same end to end encryption as Signal by default

Matrix uses bridges which basically is how beeper works at its core, letting matrix send messages anywhere and vice versa. Bridges are what let a matrix based messenger like beeper talk with nearly anyone. One of the developers of this app is the same person who made many bridges for matrix.

Since all the backend software is open source it means you could basically host this app (which is really matrix+bridges) itself. They even say so explicitly on their faq:

• Self-host the full stack: The simplest and free way to self-host the full Matrix+bridges stack is with this Ansible script

You can therefore think of beeper's $10/month subscription as a convenient way to use the existing matrix protocol and its bridges without the hassle and cost of self-hosting.

A very busy thread on HN.

The actual app/service.

I am not a developer of this app, just a user who finds matrix very very compelling.

It's worth noting that it is not just iMessage, and not just on Windows. It's an app developed by the founder of Pebble and it supports 15 different messaging apps including signal, whatsapp, discord, telegram, etc. It works on Android and iOS too. 

I wouldn't trust it, but it's far more to it than just "iMessage on windows for 10 dollars a month". 

Who even uses imessages these days?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

Use KVM.

isn't it troublesome to get imessage working on a hackintosh tho?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

isn't it troublesome to get imessage working on a hackintosh tho?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Not sure how I feel about this. And I am sure apple may not be onboard either. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

12 hours ago, Spotty said:

because Imessage works extremely well compared to sms in my time using it, and it's weird to contact someone from both imessage and not imessage.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

13 hours ago, Spotty said:

they better offer advice on talking to girls and suggest some pickup lines to get the conversation started.

I & LTT forum do this for free.

29 minutes ago, Mling said:

I & LTT forum do this for free.

The last thing you'll learn on the LTT forum is how to talk to girls, you're more likely to become a homosexual (if you're not already) and find a boyfriend then learn to talk to girls on here.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

15 hours ago, Frugivore8894 said:

It’s a subscription

thtat makes me not wanna buy it

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Subscription? Ahahaha!

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

23 hours ago, Dr_Whom said:

According to the WAN show last week, the best pickup line is 'I only use iMessage". Drops the panties 100% of the time, allegedly.

The most compelling argument in favor of iPhones I've seen yet. Bravo, sir. I may just switch.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

On 1/21/2021 at 5:01 PM, LAwLz said:

I wouldn't trust it...

Since the base matrix protocol is open source (as are all of beeper's bridges I think) you're free to audit, set up and run a matrix server along with all the bridges on hardware you trust. I think the only proprietary part of Beeper is the client, but there are a fair few Matrix clients out there already.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 10:41 PM, NinJake said:

The fact that they support Signal should trigger a little worry about how they are accessing/displaying encrypted messages. Don't trust this one bit.

Signal is so no one can do mitm attacks. If something is on your client you have already lost.

PS: signal is nonprofit dammit!

On 1/21/2021 at 11:00 PM, Tensimeter said:

This app is based off the matrix protocol, which is notably used by governments in France and Germany. It works on the server side and is not just a fancy gui that combines all the apps.

The protocol (matrix) uses the same end to end encryption as Signal by default

Matrix uses bridges which basically is how beeper works at its core, letting matrix send messages anywhere and vice versa. Bridges are what let a matrix based messenger like beeper talk with nearly anyone. One of the developers of this app is the same person who made many bridges for matrix.

Since all the backend software is open source it means you could basically host this app (which is really matrix+bridges) itself. They even say so explicitly on their faq:

You can therefore think of beeper's $10/month subscription as a convenient way to use the existing matrix protocol and its bridges without the hassle and cost of self-hosting.

A very busy thread on HN.

The actual app/service.

I am not a developer of this app, just a user who finds matrix very very compelling.

Yeah, using matrix it's not super fun. The lag is very very high. So much bridging also causes a lot of troubleshooting and frankly not worth the effort.