whats your true feeling with ADS inserted by youtubers

SAVE-12-HK

to be clear i am NOT talking about youtube ads but ads purposely embedded into video

assume you somehow remembered the brand during a youtube, such as ltt store or whatever, how do you feel about that product?

I WOULD BLACKLISH THE PRODUCT FOREVER!!

and i will never subcribe or like it, all it deserves is a dislike

It's a way to make money?
I can't say it really affects my purchasing, but it also doesn't make me hate the product/youtubers: I typically just skip through the standard Raid/Squarespace ads, and watch tech ads from time to time.

Refusing to watch youtubers who run ads seems a bit short-sighted as well, as that is where most of youtube is heading, especially with the inconsistency of ad-revenue over the past few years.

EDIT: @GoodEnough asking the real questions.

Edited by FakeNSA
As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

I'm okay with them, as long as I can easily skip through them (i.e. a 10-15 second ad) and if the advertisement isn't brought up a ton of times during the video (which does happen sometimes).

In my opinion, the YouTubers do forfeit the right to complain about adblock users, when embedding their own ads in the video.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I'm most annoyed when they try to say they like it personally, then going on about not really liking them at a later point.

more so if they are trying to be genuine, but then switches things around.

fine if you know its just there for ads, seen that sometimes with LTT sometimes when they do some switching on it.

their own products can be a very different story in how to handle and since its their own products.

I actually like how straight up LTT is with ads. Not this BS where they sort of "blend" the ad into the content. Some YouTubers seem to think that it makes it better but to me it just makes it worse. I'm not sure why, it's just sort of wrong in a way. I prefer the LTT way of doing it.

11 minutes ago, minibois said:

YouTubers do forfeit the right to complain about adblock users, when embedding their own ads in the video.

To me that depends on how many ads they have in their videos. There are channels that only have a sponsor occasionally, I can see how they could still rely mostly on YT ads. 

While Youtube may be a free service, living is not.  These folks are trying to make a living.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I have no issue with them for four reasons:

1. I can skip them without waiting 5 seconds.
  2. Adblocker doesn't take away from the creators revenue with embedded ads.
  3. YouTube doesn't (or can't) take a cut of the advertising profits. The creator gets everything.
  4. It enables the creator to produce more entertaining content.

Depends.

I have no problem with:

• A YouTube channel posturing as a credible review outlet running promos for products/services UNRELATED to the things they review
  • A YouTube channel that does NOT posture as a credible review outlet running paid promos for anything at all

I absolutely DO have a problem with:

• A YouTube channel (LTT is a great example of this terrible practice) posturing as a credible review outlet WHILE AT THE SAME TIME taking promo money from the same brands they claim to objectively review. They lose all credibility once they do this because their income depends on the brands feeding them money. Their reviews and opinions are completely compromised.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

7 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

A YouTube channel (LTT is a great example of this terrible practice) posturing as a credible review outlet WHILE AT THE SAME TIME taking promo money from the same brands they claim to objectively review. They lose all credibility once they do this because their income depends on the brands feeding them money. Their reviews and opinions are completely compromised.

I sorta disagree with this, I see how its a problem, but at the same time, it also shows when they are a sponsor and they talk crap about it in a review, shows it can show how the money hasn't totally effected their opinions. But for LTT (or any other youtuber for that matter) its going to be hard, for youtubers that most sponsors are in the same industry of what they are about, its going to be hard to avoid. 

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

First off I would much rather have an ad integrated into a video that I can skip, rather than a YouTube ad that interrupts a video. That being said a few things influence how I feel about imbedded ads:

1: How long they are. If a video is 10-15 minutes long and an ad spot takes up 2-2.5 minutes of that, that just looks bad. I can kit the arrow key a few times to skip it, but if your ad spot it taking up that much of a video, you are doing it wrong. 

2: If the ad presenter/narrator makes it personal (but not always). When you see a person saying they only advertise for VPN because they have personally been using it for years and personally like it, then a few months later the ad changes to a different VPN provider and they same the exact same thing, the channel/ad presenter loses all trustworthiness. The reason I said not always though is because there are situations like Jayz2Cents with World of Warships that actually seem genuine and not like the presenter is only saying they like the product to get paid. I would much rather a channel create an ad spot just listing the features of a product without including any of their own opinions on it. 

3: If you can clearly tell when an ad starts. In my opinion a good ad spot starts with "This video is brought to you by:" or "This video is sponsored by"" or 'made possible by:" or something along those lines, followed by the actually ad. I hate when content creators try to make a "creative" transition between content and ad, where 30-60 seconds before the actually ad starts is some way to transition from the video content to the ad. To be clear this does not include a one-sentence segue like Linus does, but rather when it feels like the creator is trying to hide the ad in the video. 

I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting to include, but those are the biggest one's off the top of my head. 

I'm fine with them....UNTIL the point that they become over saturated across multiple channels. It makes them seem desperate as opposed to wanting to get their product out there.

Eg 

• Honey
  • Raycon
  • RAID shadow legends
  • Express VPN
  • Nord VPN
  • audible 
  • Skillshare
  • Squarespace

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I'm pretty good at skipping and scrubbing so, it doesn't bother me that much.

2 hours ago, SAVE-12-HK said:

to be clear i am NOT talking about youtube ads but ads purposely embedded into video

assume you somehow remembered the brand during a youtube, such as ltt store or whatever, how do you feel about that product?

I WOULD BLACKLISH THE PRODUCT FOREVER!!

and i will never subcribe or like it, all it deserves is a dislike

Well I use Ad Block. I find the Youtubers I watch present products that I might actually give a shit about. There have been many times I have paused the video and went to the products page to check it out in detail. So I dont mind if a Youtuber embeds an ad. I just cant stand the ones Youtube be selecting, such as some bullshit I dont care about, or an ad about no vaping, and God DAMN IT those political ads from 2020 can suck a big one. I need to get a Pihole setup going before next election year. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

i dont know why you're getting so riled up. you want to watch content that take so much time to make, FOR FREE, BUT WITHOUT ADS. some of these creators are working on youtube as their fulltime job and its not an easy job. 

grow up, stop being a little btch. everybody's gotta make a living. 

I just use SponsorBlock to auto-skip the in-video advertising. Works like a charm.

If the ad is clearly a paid sponsor I'm fine with it.  Dealing with hardware reviews, any hardware ads must be clearly made known to be paid.  If not, the whole channel has no credibility as a place for reviews, news, etc.  

Besides that, it's fine.  They gotta make money, you know?

Not an expert
Ryzen3600  | Aorus 5700XT  | Aorus B550 Elite 
Coolermaster ML240L AIO
G.Skill RipjawsV3600  | PNY XLR8 1TB NVMe 3.0
Westinghouse 3440x1440 ultrawide

eh, LTT has been pretty good at bashing even their sponsors if the product is not so great lol. Seriously, watch some of their videos. They're usually pretty up front about who is sponsoring them for that video, and how they really feel about a product, even if they make a second review video that isn't sponsored by said product manufacturer (think i watched one the other day that had 2 parts, one that was sponsored by the company and one that wasn't, but both times, they were still honest in their reviews).

As for them promoting their own store, well, that's a good chunk of their revenue. Linus even has a video breaking down where the percentage of their income is coming from. A couple of them actually (seems he has to make one every so often so people aren't complaining like this). Honestly, the youtube ads that interrupt a video are way more annoying. I'm fine if they air an ad before or after a video, but to get 2 minutes into a 5 minute video and have an ad interrupt it (especially if it's the same ad i've already seen pop up like 20 times already in the last 20 videos I've watched *coughRaidshadowlegendscough*) is rather obnoxious. Or the hour and a half long ads... those are really annoying if I want to just lay down and listen to some stuff. Like fine, throw a minute and a half ad before a video, whatever, I can deal with that. But to have some hour plus long ad show up in the middle of just tryin' to chill out, ya, no, bloody annoying. Even television doesn't have hour long ads. 

And honestly, I think Linus' segues are rather amusing actually lol. Or the self-plugging for his store, is whatever, also slightly amusing, at least I chuckle every time he does a shameless plug. He does have a living to make and a rather large number of employees he has to pay as well. Where else is that money going to come from? That's where almost all entertainment makes its revenue, is off advertising, with the exception of movies that generally rely on box office sales (and occasionally product placement, but that's another topic of contention). While some might argue that any reviewer being sponsored by the products they are reviewing could be biased as such, I have yet to see that really happen here. Other channels, definitely, but not so much here since usually they have actual numbers of what they are testing right there in front of you.

No one really likes advertising. It's usually annoying as hell. But again, they have to make money somehow, it is a business after all, but at least from what I have seen (and I've watched a ton of their videos), they're up front and honest about it and do provide some transparency. If they didn't do ads, they would have to rely on something like patreon or whatever, and that's just... not reliable for something of this nature. It works for artists and for teachers but not for product reviewers. Not to mention some of the products they review, they aren't getting for free. They do have to pay for a good chunk of this stuff, and it is definitely not cheap. Plus as others have pointed out, a lot of the advertising that Linus or the others do in their videos is easily skip-able for those that don't care to watch it. The ads that Youtube decides to show you however, sometimes are not.

You have to remember that this also is their time, and everyone's time has value. They didn't have to even start all this. You could be left having to rely on other people buying the product and word of mouth, or people that don't have knowledge and know-how giving you their opinions, or the fan bois that only support a specific product name and everything else is trash (which those are even worse.. like the team red vs team blue.. worked as a comedic television show, sucks for honest reviews).

So take the advertisements with a grain of salt, and watch more than one product review if you really thing a channel is biased. Watch like 3 or 4, and make a decision based off that. No single product reviewer is going to be able to give you all the details and nuances. Especially with PC hardware since everyone has different configurations that they use, either for themselves, or for testing. If you really don't want ads or "sponsored" videos, then how about you pay for their time, and for the employees that do the recording, and the editing, so you can have a clear video instead of just some guy with a webcam in his basement.

Don't really mind them, just wish there was more variety. I'm looking at you Ridge Wallet, RAID: Shadow Legends and ExpressVPN. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

I like ads over paying to see the videos (floatplane) / playing youtube for no ads. More variety of ads be nice, and remove of some bad ones like squarespace and shopify would be nice.  With out ads them youtube and thing like facebook would have to make us pay to used. 

I usually skip the ad that is in the video. And I don't understand why they put them in the middle of the video? It makes me want to stop watching the video..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Meh, OP's post just seems like a lot of huffing and puffing over an extremely minor thing.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I find them not as jarring and more tolerable than normal ADs, and i can just press forward on my keyboard a few times and skip

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

I just have my hand on the 10 sec button on my keyboard.

to be fair some people have very good commercial transitions

I think LTT does it very good with one on the start before the intro and one after its done with the content.

I don't like it when someone interrupts it in the middle of there content

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang