Hardware Unboxed - Send the Love ❤

Hardware Unboxed - Send the Love

If you haven't heard yet, Nvidia has taken action against Hardware Unboxed with regards to the way they have been reviewing the new RTX 3000 Series cards. 

So myself and a small group of enthusiasts have taken it upon ourselves to help boost the channel in anyway we can. We have donated some money to the channel and subscribed (turns out he does do some decent content, I liked the 6800XT LN2 cooled video) and have been spreading the word far and wide but we need your help. 

I bring this to the forum in the hopes that the collective masses can help Nvidia see that they have made a catastrophic error in judement. 

Even if you don't have the money to support a donation to his channel or you rather not subscribe to another youtuber, that is fine, just do want you feel you can, even if it is just a like on a video,( It doesn't need to be any of Hardware Unboxed videos it could be one that has covered this story).

This will hopefully show Nvidia how much backlash there has been in the community to their actions and stop this (let's be honest) censorship from happening to our media that we have a passion for watching.

Personally I don't go on forums, post content or anything like this really, but after what has transpired I felt I had to do something. 

If anyone could ask an administrator if it would be OK to have this post pinned for a shortwhile, that would be great. 

Peace out

Ryzen 5 1500X @3.8GHz | WD 8GB DDR4 2400 | WD GREEN 120GB M.2 | ASUS STRIX ROG B350 | COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE 5 | COOLERMASTER 240mm RAD

Really weird to see a picture of Rick Sanchez next to the phrase "share the love"

I encourage people to check out the reviews of 30 series cards that HWUnboxed did, not only can viewers draw their own conclusions about how fair they feel the content is, they can hopefully throw some ad revenue their way.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I was looking for someone doing 6800xt LN2 overclocking, hopefully it was with a binned chip though. 

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Really weird to see a picture of Rick Sanchez next to the phrase "share the love"

agreed, especially since it's about two minutes before he re-watches his wife and kids dying just to hack some top security jail. 

but schezwan sauce tho.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Nah, I already know I don't like it even without ever giving them any clicks tyvm. 

That doesn't mean I think it's ok what Nvidia did, but I also know it's just the tip of the iceberg and big companies with a lot of influence do this all the time... The whole "review" business is nothing but a big PR show anyways and receiving hw directly from the manufacturer should be a no go anyway also to count as "unbiased". 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 hours ago, AbysmalCraig said:

If anyone could ask an administrator if it would be OK to have this post pinned for a shortwhile, that would be great. 

The answer to that is no. Unless LMG specifically endorses it. Please consider PM'ing moderation team in future if you have any questions.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yes, throw money at a dude making significantly more than you do because he won’t receive free samples anymore. Genius!

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I watch every Hardware Unboxed video and if I want any information about RTX(raytracing) or DLSS it is the last place I would go to. They don't realty cover it any more because their patron members voted overwhelmingly for rasterization coverage. They have their bubble and Nvidia has theirs. They don't really overlap that much.

All the major players get bad reviews on some of their products from Youtubers. This is not about that. All the 30 series reviews were positive with the exception of the 3090 but that card got the same treatment with just about every reviewer. This is about coverage of the key features Nvidia is pushing right now and Hardware Unboxed don't do much coverage on them. 

The last Hardware Unboxed video was about Cyberpunk 2077 with DLSS and raytracing. In my view it should be enough coverage to make Nvidia happy.

We shall see.    

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Honestly if missing out on RTX videos will severely hurt Hardware Unboxed to the point where they really need donations... then I would question their business plan.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Honestly if missing out on RTX videos will severely hurt Hardware Unboxed to a point where they really need donations... then I would question their business plan.  

That is missing the point completely!  It is the draconian methods of Nvidia trying to control what they are saying in their reviews that is the issue!

30 minutes ago, Miket482000 said:

That is missing the point completely!  It is the draconian methods of Nvidia trying to control what they are saying in their reviews that is the issue!

But why is giving them money gonna fix that lol

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It won't.

Not giving NVidia, or their partners money, however, will send a message to NVidia.

Not that the 30 series cards really are worth buying... Because, you know, RayTracing sucks.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

20 hours ago, AbysmalCraig said:

I bring this to the forum in the hopes that the collective masses can help Nvidia see that they have made a catastrophic error in judement.

- SNIP -

This will hopefully show Nvidia how much backlash there has been in the community to their actions and stop this (let's be honest) censorship from happening to our media that we have a passion for watching

No. Fuck this. People donating money to HWUB does not show NVIDIA jack shit. I mean, NVIDIA is not privy to the number of donations and the amounts of money people are donating to HWUB, so how do you expect it to show them anything at all? The logic here -- or rather, the lack of it -- doesn't work.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Not that the 30 series cards really are worth buying... Because, you know, RayTracing sucks.

Not everyone is looking to buy one for ray-tracing, mate.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Not everyone is looking to buy one for ray-tracing, mate.

Nobody should be looking to buy a graphics card for RT.

42 minutes ago, Miket482000 said:

I mean other companies do it as well and we still buy the products they make. Apple is another example but no one really makes a big deal out of it. LTT just straight up buys their products in order to make reviews on them. Or get said products sent to them through third parties like Debrand (of course with Debrand advertising attached). 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Nvidia must be nurtured and encouraged. Their relationship with Nintendo has given them license to act like Nintendo Japan. Let's all encourage Nvidia as it spreads its wings. If we want to donate, we should feel compelled to donate directly to the people doing marketing. There is no more noble position in a tech company than marketing.

4 hours ago, Sarra said:

Nobody should be looking to buy a graphics card for RT.

Why not?

All my GPU purchases are for improving the graphics. 

I know it is not for every one but people that want better visuals like me do exist.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

23 minutes ago, jones177 said:

Why not?

All my GPU purchases are for improving the graphics. 

I know it is not for every one but people that want better visuals like me do exist.

As was pointed out by Linus and Jay on recent videos, RT is still early in the development cycle. It's not exactly fleshed out, the performance is mediocre at best with it on, and it requires a crutch to run it at higher resolutions.

yes, it's an improvement in lighting, but that's all it is, unfortunately. I'd rather get a 4K 120hz panel and be able to play it at 120FPS than have to run it at 40-50FPS.

I also want an improvement in visuals, which is why I'm getting a brand new graphics card, and replacing the GTX 980 I've currently got. I would love to play Minecraft with ray tracing on, but I don't want to sacrifice FPS gaming's framerates, and as Cyberpunk's launch has demonstrated, ray tracing is not exactly great right now (there's been some reports of crashing while running RT, but the game runs okay with it off). Plus, what happened with HU was really inexcusable, but that's not really an issue for me, since I was planning on going with a 6800XT anyway. For me, though, the big question was if I went with a Quadro card, or a Radeon Pro card for my rendering machine, and I'm pretty sure I'm going Radeon Pro now.

About people saying that ray trace is bad because it's only lighting

Some people like it and wants to experience it, nothing wrong

For people saying it tanks performance, the recommended spec for cyberpunk is expected to run 30 fps, as I found out while discussing about it with my friends

So no, a game doesn't have to run at 60 fps for it to be "playable", some games I know recommends 30 fps too, like monster hunter world, so stop forcing your standards on other people.

If you're unhappy with it, sure, but don't dismiss people who enjoys it

Me? So far I don't see a point to it yet and I play games at 60fps or higher, so I'm not the target audience for RT yet

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Too be honest, same shit different day! They keep pushing the line back and back and back bit by bit.How manyeth time is it they've pulled this crap? And they keep pulling it because they keep getting away with it. There is an initial outrage which dies down over time and then it becomes the new normal. They know this and that's why they keep doing it. In dutch we have a saying which goes: "De aanhouder wint", which roughly translated means: "The persistant one wins". They don't have to win tommorow, if they giv a little ground today but take back double next month it is a win for them over the long run.

In my opinion, the only way to send a clear message to nVidia is to unite and make your own blacklist. Refuse to review nVidia hardware untill the review sample nonsense is taken off the table, untill the review embargo nonsense goes off the table, everything that's in place to block reviewers from giving their real and unbaised opinion (like GN Steve does) should go and untll then, no more reviews.

7 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

How many creators do you know that do not ask for support?  If it is subscriptions, likes, ring the bell, buy my merch, join my channel, sign up for my partion!  I see nothing out of the ordinary for a creator to ask for support!  They all do it, they all take advantage of what ever may boost the chances of getting that support, so why would you seem perplexed by this being any different?

On 12/12/2020 at 2:01 PM, AbysmalCraig said:

Hardware Unboxed - Send the Love

If you haven't heard yet, Nvidia has taken action against Hardware Unboxed with regards to the way they have been reviewing the new RTX 3000 Series cards. 

So myself and a small group of enthusiasts have taken it upon ourselves to help boost the channel in anyway we can. We have donated some money to the channel and subscribed.

While that fiasco has now ended, everyone should support him on Floatplane, as HWUB is a Floatplane creator too!

15 minutes ago, Sarra said:

As was pointed out by Linus and Jay on recent videos, RT is still early in the development cycle. It's not exactly fleshed out, the performance is mediocre at best with it on, and it requires a crutch to run it at higher resolutions.

yes, it's an improvement in lighting, but that's all it is, unfortunately. I'd rather get a 4K 120hz panel and be able to play it at 120FPS than have to run it at 40-50FPS.

I also want an improvement in visuals, which is why I'm getting a brand new graphics card, and replacing the GTX 980 I've currently got. I would love to play Minecraft with ray tracing on, but I don't want to sacrifice FPS gaming's framerates, and as Cyberpunk's launch has demonstrated, ray tracing is not exactly great right now (there's been some reports of crashing while running RT, but the game runs okay with it off). Plus, what happened with HU was really inexcusable, but that's not really an issue for me, since I was planning on going with a 6800XT anyway. For me, though, the big question was if I went with a Quadro card, or a Radeon Pro card for my rendering machine, and I'm pretty sure I'm going Radeon Pro now.

Linus and Jay also said 4k is pointless for gaming but I am seeing more and more 4k coverage. Times change.

I bought a GTX 980 in 2015 and replaced it with a GTX 980 ti in the same year just to get 60fps in Skyrim at 1440p with ENB. The same year I bought a 4k monitor that I saw in a LTT video and it took a RTX 2080 ti bought in 2018 to get all frames over 60 at 4k in the game. My goal now is 8k 60fps with my old modded Skyrim game.

I am used to big frame rate drops that make a game look better.

Cyberpunk 2077 does not like GPU overclocks just like the game Control. So I can do over 60fps at 1440p with raytracing but the game crashes after a while with my GPU overclock. Without the overclock it does not crash(so far) at all but no more 60fps. I don't expect this to get fixed. 

Like Control I don't like the look of the game without raytracing so I am shelving it for now. I will revisit it when I get a 3090.

I did 3D for a living(retired in 2018) and RTX would be a game changer to me since it took minutes to render a raytraced proof of a scene and it now takes a few seconds with a RTX card like the 3090. I am getting 3090s just in case I have to start working again. 

Since all my PC hardware has been paid for by my 3D work, being an early adopter has not been that hard for me.  I can understand why others don't want to be early adopters and are happy to wait like you have. 

1 hour ago, Miket482000 said:

How many creators do you know that do not ask for support?  If it is subscriptions, likes, ring the bell, buy my merch, join my channel, sign up for my partion!  I see nothing out of the ordinary for a creator to ask for support!  They all do it, they all take advantage of what ever may boost the chances of getting that support, so why would you seem perplexed by this being any different?

As far as I know, HU has not even asked for support. OP just decided to send them money because they won't get free GPUs from one company anymore.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈