What is after 1nm?

baxuz

So this just came into my mind, what comes after 1nm, and what is going to happen to the pc building industry? 

0.5nm

Probably quantum computing, or off-site computing (think a large data center with a bunch of processors, while you connect to it from somewhere else).

But who knows, really.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, baxuz said:

what comes after 1nm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix#List_of_SI_prefixes

pm, picometer

2 minutes ago, baxuz said:

what is going to happen to the pc building industry? 

what do you get when u cross a helicopter, an elephant, and a rhino?

heliphino

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

9 minutes ago, minibois said:

Probably quantum computing, or off-site computing (think a large data center with a bunch of processors, while you connect to it from somewhere else).

that's already here with streaming and cloud services

18 minutes ago, minibois said:

0.5nm

But who knows, really.

Just FYI the way quantum computing works it will never be a mainstream thing.

The multiple possible outputs are not very useful for regular computing.

Research on the other hand will be where quantum computing will come to its own.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

9 minutes ago, Yummychickenblue said:

that's already here with streaming and cloud services

I assumed OP meant "what is next in the mainstream, instead of CPU's measured in nm". While streaming is a thing and has been a thing for years, I can't consider it mainstream yet.

2 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

The multiple possible outputs are not very useful for regular computing.

Research on the other hand will be where quantum computing will come to its own.

I'm always afraid of saying "never" when talking about tech stuff, because there are just so many possibilities and routes that can be taken in tech.

Maybe at the moment quantum computing seems unattainable, but who knows what will happen in 10-20 years?

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

I'm always afraid of saying "never" when talking about tech stuff, because there are just so many possibilities and routes that can be taken in tech.

Maybe at the moment quantum computing seems unattainable, but who knows what will happen in 10-20 years?

I would suggest looking into how quantum computing works. Then never will be a very valid statement. (i hope 😛)
If it ever would come to general use it wont be called quantum computing anymore since it wont be. ;)

Since qubits are a 1 and 0 at the same time.

Realistically, whatever marketing comes up with.  Switching units is always awkward, because marketing departments don't like how it affects numbers.  If people are used to the idea that a smaller number is better (even though that's not necessarily true), picometers won't go over well.

This is assuming there's no new kind of technology in place of course.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Realistically, whatever marketing comes up with.  Switching units is always awkward, because marketing departments don't like how it affects numbers.  If people are used to the idea that a smaller number is better (even though that's not necessarily true), picometers won't go over well.

This is assuming there's no new kind of technology in place of course.

Gotta love the stupidity of man(kind). :(

But yeah pretty sure if you have a 7nm processor and a 185pm most would think the 7nm is better/smaller.

If I'm not mistaken Silicon Semiconductors are limited to 5nm size for the Transistors. That wouldn't stop continuing improvements 5nm Nodes once we reach there. After all just look at what Intel manages to do with 14nm.

9 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Gotta love the stupidity of man(kind). :(

But yeah pretty sure if you have a 7nm processor and a 185pm most would think the 7nm is better/smaller.

That's mostly across the pond in America where units below inch don't even exist. At least not in sense us Europeans know within metric system. With imperial units you delve into bizarre world of fractions of an inch. Where we say something is X millimeters, Americans call that 1/Y of an inch. Like 1/25 of an inch. Or when they go really tiny, they start talking millionths of an inch and stuff like that. It's just so weird to watch that happening...

Sorry my American friends, I just can't help myself mocking imperial measurement system and how silly it is :P

Can't wait for 7 yoctometer CPUs tho :P

49 minutes ago, baxuz said:

So this just came into my mind, what comes after 1nm, and what is going to happen to the pc building industry? 

Just use google or bing. Hey we are a free country. 

Should really just look it up  though. take 2 seconds to type in google.

25 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

I would suggest looking into how quantum computing works. Then never will be a very valid statement. (i hope 😛)
If it ever would come to general use it wont be called quantum computing anymore since it wont be. ;)

Since qubits are a 1 and 0 at the same time.

I don't particularly see anything in quantum computing that would make me confidently say "it will never happen"

The way I look at this is the same way as I look at multiple TB's of memory in a home computer. It's not something I conceivably see happening within the next couple years or even decade, but it might happen at some point.

Sadly I don't have the decades of experiences other people have looking at technology, but I remember the times when stuff that had more than 2 or 4 cores was seen as "overkill" and now we have that on even the most basic of consumer CPU's.

Or when 8GB of VRAM on a high-end graphics cards was seen as a waste of time, while now it's normal (of course that was partially based on the power of the video chips too, but whatever).

My point is, I am not confident enough to say it will never happen, but of course I am also not confident enough to say it will happen.

From what I have read up on quantum computing - which is not too much to be quite honest - I don't see a conclusive reason why we wouldn't see it make an entrance in consumer computing in the next 10-30 years.

Considering the home PC market is only about 40-50 years old (depending on who you ask), I don't think that's an unreasonable timeline to see such a change.

15 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

That's mostly across the pond in America where units below inch don't even exist. At least not in sense us Europeans know within metric system. With imperial units you delve into bizarre world of fractions of an inch. Where we say something is X millimeters, Americans call that 1/Y of an inch. Like 1/25 of an inch. Or when they go really tiny, they start talking millionths of an inch and stuff like that. It's just so weird to watch that happening...

lol, that reminds me of A&W's "One third burger" as a competitor to McDonalds' "Quarter pounder".

Maybe what I'm saying here is just a funny story and not reality, but the way the story goes the American people didn't get the "1/3 pounder" because they thought it was less than McDonalds' "1/4 [quarter] pounder".

While in reality 1/3 and 1/4 of a pound are 0.33 and 0.25 pounds respectively.

But don't underestimate the European people's ability to still look at units of measurement the wrong way.

The amount of times I had people say "why is this 1TB drive so much more expensive than the larger 500GB drive??" is not too much, but still baffling.

pm. 

Pico meters. 

9 minutes ago, minibois said:

From what I have read up on quantum computing - which is not too much to be quite honest - I don't see a conclusive reason why we wouldn't see it make an entrance in consumer computing in the next 10-30 years.

I agree that "never" is a bold claim, but I can see what @HanZie82is talking about. A Quantum computer isn't quite like a poly-core CPU or a huge amount of memory; it's not just a very fast computer, it's a completely different machine.

It can only be used for specific types of operations, most things we do with regular computers would go worse, be impractical or even impossible on a quantum machine. It's really a different tool.

17 minutes ago, minibois said:

I don't particularly see anything in quantum computing that would make me confidently say "it will never happen"

The way I look at this is the same way as I look at multiple TB's of memory in a home computer. It's not something I conceivably see happening within the next couple years or even decade, but it might happen at some point.

Well the problem with a Quantum Microcomputer is that they are not easy to program, there are limited uses for them, and need a powerful PC by itself to control one.

There isn't going to be 1nm silicon. 1nm of silicon would literally be two silicon atoms wide, there isn't enough space. 

Even 2nm is sketchy at best. They're researching it but face issues of quantum fuckery at that small of a scale. Outputs no longer match inputs, etc.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

x nm doesn't mean anything it's not that a 7nm chip is exactly 7nm big there are a lot of factors other than transistor size like density and the transistors themselves but yes at some point you can't make a transistor smaller but still increase transistor density ( " having less room between transistors " ). and existing nodes can be made better like 14nm +++ and 5nm+

it was once said " well you can't go past 100nm and now we're discussing about 5, 3 and 2nm process nodes.

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1nm  + + + + + + + + + + + + + 

joking aside, they might just move the goal post to advertise transistor density in a different way. Transistors per mmseems like a good metric for Intel to market, as their 14nm density isn't far off from TSMC 7nm. At this point the whole nm designation is pure marketing bullsnot. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

8 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

x nm doesn't mean anything it's not that a 7nm chip is exactly 7nm big there are a lot of factors other than transistor size like density and the transistors themselves but yes at some point you can't make a transistor smaller but still increase transistor density ( " having less room between transistors " ). and existing nodes can be made better like 14nm +++ and 5nm+

it was once said " well you can't go past 100nm and now we're discussing about 5, 3 and 2nm process nodes.

I think to get below 5nm Fabs need to Hybrid Materials such as a Silicon Substrate with a layer of Carbon Nanotubes on top. Or is it in between the Silicon Transistors?

2 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

same was said about normal computers

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler