What feature in your car could you not live without?

rcmaehl

Personally, I don't have anything I really require in a vehicle other than damn heaters and a somewhat decent sound system.

For my new vehicle that is replacing my Honda CRV, I'm absolutely wanting turning headlights. Some of the country lanes around me are so damn narrow it's near impossible to see around turns.

For anyone wondering, I've settled on a Porsche Panamera GTS with some optional extras, such a Burmester sound system and of course those bloody headlights.

iris.thumb.jpg.20c707a1f423c1a39214f0509ae7c248.jpg

I really love the "Metallic Amethyst" colour Porsche have going on with the Panamera's.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

5 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Personally, I don't have anything I really require in a vehicle other than damn heaters and a somewhat decent sound system.

For my new vehicle that is replacing my Honda CRV, I'm absolutely wanting turning headlights. Some of the country lanes around me are so damn narrow it's near impossible to see around turns.

For anyone wondering, I've settled on a Porsche Panamera GTS with some optional extras, such a Burmester sound system and of course those bloody headlights.

iris.thumb.jpg.20c707a1f423c1a39214f0509ae7c248.jpg

I really love the "Metallic Amethyst" colour Porsche have going on with the Panamera's.

Iirc Tucker did his car with turntable headlights

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston_Tucker

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 peddles, crank windows, manual everything and stripped. I like it stupid simple small light econo cars that I can light up the tires and whip around in the corners.

The Goddamn steering wheel

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Ahh I got one. Snow tires in winter. I have successfully driven in the snow with all seasons (even made it down a mountain during heavy snowfall in a Civic with all seasons without loosing control) but it's just not a fun experience I would want to repeat if possible. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

9 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Ahh I got one. Snow tires in winter. I have successfully driven in the snow with all seasons (even made it down a mountain during heavy snowfall in a Civic with all seasons without loosing control) but it's just not a fun experience I would want to repeat if possible. 

Meh.  Front wheel drive doesn’t need snow tires.  Rear wheel drive does but front doesn’t. 4 wheel isnt any better than front wheel really.  It mostly makes it easier to get unstuck and easier to over accelerate.  That bit is bad enough that in my area during the first blizzard all the vehicles stuck in the ditch between the lanes are generally  4-wheel drive trucks.  A 4 wheel drive can accelerate twice as fast on ice but they don’t stop any better and they’re often poorly weighted.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

45 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Meh.  Front wheel drive doesn’t need snow tires.  Rear wheel drive does but front doesn’t. 4 wheel isnt any better than front wheel really.  It mostly makes it easier to get unstuck and easier to over accelerate.  That bit is bad enough that in my area during the first blizzard all the vehicles stuck in the ditch between the lanes are generally  4-wheel drive trucks.  A 4 wheel drive can accelerate twice as fast on ice but they don’t stop any better and they’re often poorly weighted.

It's more for braking. I live in an area in Vancouver where the roads are relatively flat, and even then there have been times where I had to run very late yellows because... well I had no brakes. ABS would try to keep the wheels from locking but there was nothing for the tires to grip onto. It's sort of worse here because once the snow hits the road, it turns into slush quickly because the temperature just sits above freezing. Sometimes we even have snow and rain mixed together. And overnight that stuff really freezes into a nice sheet of ice and it becomes a iteral ice rink. If it was a good solid layer of snow, you could probably power through it. But here, since it's essentially slush and ice, 4 wheel drive alone can't save you. 

At 0:40 who drove a bloody Corvette up Burnaby Mountain in snow... 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I have driven a car on relatively short drive without a steering wheel, and instead a pipe wrench, it was a fun ride, and makes me question my life choices when I think back on it.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

I have driven a car on relatively short drive without a steering wheel, and instead a pipe wrench, it was a fun ride, and makes me question my life choices when I think back on it.

I’ve seen vice grips used. It works, but...poorly. I recently watched a video of a Mercedes concept car with no steering wheel.  It had a sort of rocker on the center console.  There have been tiller bars used on antique electric cars.  Saw one of those on “Jay Leno’s Garage”. Detroit had a dual thumb thing they were testing in the 60’s.  The main thing about a steering wheel is it has a lot of leverage.  Older cars with no power steering before reciprocating ball steering had very large steering wheels. 

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve seen vice grips used. It works, but...poorly

I would say the pipe wrench is probably easier, the only time I had issues was on the first corner when it fell off, I just got it back on super tight after that, probably easier to grip then vice grips.

AMD blackout rig

Just now, Letgomyleghoe said:

I would say the pipe wrench is probably easier, the only time I had issues was on the first corner when it fell off, I just got it back on super tight after that, probably easier to grip then vice grips.

Longer would be helpful.  A steering wheel is basically a lever.

On 10/14/2020 at 10:57 PM, Letgomyleghoe said:

I won’t drive an automatic lol, something about automatics is frustrating, it pisses me off when can’t get my engine to rev up before it switches gears. Being able to pop the car in second and tear out is so nice idk why.

This is literally a non-issue in almost all modern automatics. Even my mid-level Jetta from 2014 has a 6-speed automatic w/ Tiptronic - meaning I can switch it into manual mode and independently choose which gears to drive in.

Or just put pretty much any Automatic car into whatever "sport mode" is included, and it'll let the engine rev up quite a bit before switching gears.

Manuals can definitely be more fun - but realistically modern automatics simply smoke all but the very best manual transmissions, and most of them now have some kind of manual mode anyway.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

100% absolutely, if you live in a climate that regularly snows in the winter, you need winter tires. You might not think you need them, but every other driver on the road disagrees.

Snow tires add a significant amount of traction and (more importantly) stopping power over all seasons (or the winter-rated multi-season tires - which are at least better than all seasons).

Regardless of whether it's FWD/RWD/AWD - winter tires make a significant difference.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

people say you need a key for the ignition

I have a friend where his old van would start by turn the ignition with a flathead screw driver  

umm a feature would be fold down seats to fit big stuff

19 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

R U sure

https://www.legendaryspeed.com/rally-driver-drives-rally-car-without-steering-wheel/

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Yes.

ok its a nice to have but you can improvise at worst times

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

It becomes a question of the definition of feature. The most basic requirement could for example be wheels.  I took it to mean a thing that is added on.  Air con used to be an add on but isn’t anymore for my area.

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

This is literally a non-issue in almost all modern automatics. Even my mid-level Jetta from 2014 has a 6-speed automatic w/ Tiptronic - meaning I can switch it into manual mode and independently choose which gears to drive in.

Or just put pretty much any Automatic car into whatever "sport mode" is included, and it'll let the engine rev up quite a bit before switching gears.

Manuals can definitely be more fun - but realistically modern automatics simply smoke all but the very best manual transmissions, and most of them now have some kind of manual mode anyway.

Ive never heard of this tiptronic lol that’s cool asf. I don’t think I’ve ever driven a car that had both modes, But I haven’t really driven to many cars in the 2000-2020 range

AMD blackout rig

2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Ive never heard of this tiptronic lol that’s cool asf. I don’t think I’ve ever driven a car that had both modes, But I haven’t really driven to many cars in the 2000-2020 range

I'm not sure how long they've been around for - but at least 10-15 years now if not longer.

On 10/14/2020 at 7:57 PM, Letgomyleghoe said:

I won’t drive an automatic lol, something about automatics is frustrating, it pisses me off when can’t get my engine to rev up before it switches gears. Being able to pop the car in second and tear out is so nice idk why.

usually the answer is step on it, my 2000 civic will happy run it out to redline before shifting

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

usually the answer is step on it, my 2000 civic will happy run it out to redline before shifting

Indeed - in fact, how aggressive you accelerate almost always decides how quickly a car will shift.

If you accelerate slowly, the car will usually shift sooner at a lower RPM. If you floor it, it's likely going to push the RPM's quite high before changing gears.

24 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

If you accelerate slowly, the car will usually shift sooner at a lower RPM.

yep which isn't always great. I love all these new 6+ speed automatics, most totally don't have long term issues.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

5 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

yep which isn't always great. I love all these new 6+ speed automatics, most totally don't have long term issues.

Mine has been super reliable so far (150,000 km and counting). I can switch into manual mode and baby the transmission if I want to accelerate and switch gears in a precise manner.