Food & Cooking

whm1974
1 minute ago, Middcore said:

But not from yours! 😜

Of course not!!! I'm a guy. If I start lactating fluid I would be going to the doctor...

17 hours ago, whm1974 said:

SO who uses a Secrete Ingredient when preparing Dishes and which ones? Many Folks tend to use Anchovy Paste or a bit of some kind of Mustard. Chili often has one or the other, or even both. Exotic(To Americans) Spices?

Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce?

As pointed out

"secrete" means to exude or discharge, generally a fluid (example: your saliva gland secretes saliva; a pimple might secrete puss, etc).

Bac on topic, my secret ingredients are Soy Sauce and Worcestershire Sauce, typically. Also been experimenting with Marmite, as it's not a common ingredient in Canada (very popular in the UK).

For homemade spaghetti sauce, I add all 3 (just a bit of Marmite because it can be overwhelming), plus some Hoisin sauce, and shitloads of herbs and spices to taste, and lots of garlic (ideally cooked with the ground beef before you mix the sauce in).

Normally I start with an off-the-shelf sauce in a can or jar, but sometimes I start with a can of crushed tomatoes and a bit of tomato paste. If I start with crushed tomatoes, I add way more spices and herbs than I would if I start with a pre-made sauce.

For spices and herbs, I tend to stick to the standard ones. Basil, Parsley, Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, Paprika, Garlic, Onion. Usually add in some chili flakes too, but not too many because I don't like things too "spicey".

It depends on the exact dish, what kind of meat or other primary ingredients are in it, etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

My wife told me once, she used freshly harvested kisses, ground them down and stirred them in... 

So the secret ingredient is I think love ^^

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Really depends on the dish, but the best secret ingredients are salt and butter or some other form of fat. That's where the flavour is. One of the reasons why achovies/anchovy paste adds flavour? It's a fatty salty fish. Want to make chocolate or sweet flavours pop extra? Tiny bit of salt (it boosts perception of sweetness). The reason for fat is that a bunch of stuff dissolves more easily in fat

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

this thread turned from food to grammer.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

8 minutes ago, Benji said:

That's not a secret ingredient and it's not a secret that salt amplifies flavours. It's basically in everything you buy.

I don't know anybody who uses any "secret" ingredients.

That was my point 😛  There is indeed no secret ingredient that'll make everything taste better (apart from thus maybe salt and MSG), though there can certainly be an unexpected "secret" twist to a list of ingredients to bring some interesting taste to a dish. I mention salt and fat, because they are looked down upon even though they are often key to good flavour. It's easy to underseason stuff when cooking with fresh produce.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

2 hours ago, tikker said:

Really depends on the dish, but the best secret ingredients are salt and butter or some other form of fat. That's where the flavour is. One of the reasons why achovies/anchovy paste adds flavour? It's a fatty salty fish. Want to make chocolate or sweet flavours pop extra? Tiny bit of salt (it boosts perception of sweetness). The reason for fat is that a bunch of stuff dissolves more easily in fat

Many People simply do not know how to properly cook or never learned anything beyond the bare basics. Only use Salt and Pepper...

Garlic pepper.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

29 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Many People simply do not know how to properly cook or never learned anything beyond the bare basics. Only use Salt and Pepper...

We're also not really taught how to cook anywhere. If your parents hate it than you're out of luck. I feel there's still a divide in its use though. Most won't bat an eye at 2 cups of sugar in some cake recipe yet get a heart attack when they see a teaspoon of salt listed.

1 hour ago, tikker said:

We're also not really taught how to cook anywhere. If your parents hate it than you're out of luck. I feel there's still a divide in its use though. Most won't bat an eye at 2 cups of sugar in some cake recipe yet get a heart attack when they see a teaspoon of salt listed.

How big is the Cake? Being Diabetic I would cut the sugar by at least half and keep the teaspoon of salt.

I don't like dessert to be overpowering sweet anyway.

I found out about this type of Cultured Meat from a YouTube Video but Techcrunch has an Article about this:

https://techcrunch.com/2021/04/14/i-cant-believe-its-not-meat/

Meati already has a Jerky available and working on developing others. For those of you who are unaware of what this is, it is the actual fungus which grows underground. The Mushrooms you see are the fruiting bodies that produces spores.

I wonder how long before this is commonplace?

-= Moved to Off-Topic =-

Tech New means Tech News... this is not.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, poochyena said:

This isn't tech.. but I guess since it was posted i'll mention my favorite veggie nuggets are also made with fungus. A different type, but similar. Its extremely good. I've been eating it for years now.
https://www.quorn.us/products/quorn-meatless-chicken-nuggets

Isn't made with eggs to bind everything to together?

My only contribution.(Yeah I said more...)

Meat is meat, it is healthy to eat just like veggies, all within proper moderation. The day I don't eat real meat is the day I die.

This trend to make and sell meat like things is dumb, lie to yourself but please for the love of God, dont lie to me.

All trends end, like any previous trend.

Edited by SansVarnic

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

My only contribution.

Meat is meat, it is healthy to eat just like veggies, all within proper moderation. The day I don't eat real meat is the day I die.

This trend to make and sell meat like things is dumb, lie to yourself but please for the love of God, dont lie to me.

All trends end, like any previous trend.

I already know that Meat is Healthy in moderation.

19 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Isn't made with eggs to bind everything to together?

yes, so I guess it isn't vegan, but still vegetarian

12 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Meat is meat, it is healthy to eat just like veggies

I mean, most of the largest food recalls are from meat products https://moneyinc.com/biggest-food-recalls-u-s-history/

Then there are outbreaks like swine flu, mad cow disease, HIV, covid19, and countless other diseases that originated from eating meat.

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

Then there are outbreaks like swine flu, mad cow disease, HIV, covid19, and countless other diseases that originated from eating meat.

No. 🤦‍♂️  I am not going to go into a long argument as to why this is wrong. But don't make comments like this knowing it will derail a topic. 

Anyhow I made my contribution don't pull me back in to try and make a point.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, poochyena said:

yes, so I guess it isn't vegan, but still vegetarian

I mean, most of the largest food recalls are from meat products https://moneyinc.com/biggest-food-recalls-u-s-history/

Maybe Humans shouldn't Factory Farms Animals like we currently do.

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

No. 🤦‍♂️  I am not going to go into a long argument as to why this is wrong. But don't make comments like this knowing it will derail a topic. 

Well the Outbreaks don't consuming meat in and of itself, but not cooking it properly. And of Meat Packaging Plants Employees not washing their hands like they are suppose to.

19 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I’m pretty strongly in favor of lab grown meats as well if we can ever do so in significant quantities. 

I did enjoy some Vegan patties at one time, but I quit due the amount of salt in them. And of course the price tag. However one of them was a Mushroom sausage patty. That did taste like meat and more enjoyable.

23 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

so saying meat is healthy is ok but saying its not is derailing the thread? lol

22 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well the Outbreaks don't consuming meat in and of itself, but not cooking it properly.

I guess you could technically say eating cooked meat doesn't lead to viruses. Its the butchering and preparing it that usually does. Like in the case of HIV, it likely came from butchering monkeys for food, and their blood infecting humans during the butchering. You could trace a significant amount of diseases to animal farms, specifically to overcrowded and unclean farming. Its not just modern factory farming too, but farming has largely be terribly unclean and a disease breeding ground for hundreds of years in many societies. You can see an example of this from what happened when Europeans first arrived to the Americas. Native americans who largely just ate wild animals and did little to no animal farming had few diseases to spread to europeans, but europeans with their terrible animal farming practices introduced deadly diseases to natives, killing countless natives.
How unhealthy mass meat consumption is is a huge reason why plant based alternatives are so important. It makes the transition away from meat a lot easier for a lot more people.

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

so saying meat is healthy is ok but saying its not is derailing the thread? lol

Not what I said, but sure interpret it how you like.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER