Food & Cooking

whm1974
3 hours ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

It probably won't replace meat. Meat just tastes too good. 

That's the problem with the word substitute. Don't think of this as replacing meat as meat-but-not-meat. As some pointed out it's just a different source of protein. Don't go order a black bean burger thinking it'll taste the same as a beef burger. It's ok to eat meat burgers. Just every so often try and enjoy that black bean burger as a delicous black bean burger.

3 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Back to Topic: I don't see how consuming Mycellium is any different then eating Mushrooms. Tempeh has been enjoyed for 1000's of Years now. Yeast is used in baking bread and brewing booze. Brae and Blue Cheese is made with mold.

It's probably not substantially different from a nutritional point of view, but as with everything the preparation can make a significant difference in the final product.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

13 minutes ago, tikker said:

That's the problem with the word substitute. Don't think of this as replacing meat as meat-but-not-meat. As some pointed out it's just a different source of protein. Don't go order a black bean burger thinking it'll taste the same as a beef burger. It's ok to eat meat burgers. Just every so often try and enjoy that black bean burger as a delicous black bean burger.

It's probably not substantially different from a nutritional point of view, but as with everything the preparation can make a significant difference in the final product.

Could call it a Black Bean Patty instead.

Use the right seasonings and add a bit of sesame or peanut oil to it?

My dad and I went to Walmart and picked up a 1 to 2 serving Air Fryer. I also purchased some Tofu, Sesame Oil, and Slice Mushrooms. I adapted this Recipe and just place it in Fryer:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/crispy-air-fryer-tofu-8666407

I removed the Kosher Salt, Rice Vinegar, and Honey. I didn't have those items. I set the Timer to 20 minutes. Somewhat noisy like a fan, but tolerable.

I'll post after I eaten this quick Entree.   

25 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

My dad and I went to Walmart and picked up a 1 to 2 serving Air Fryer. I also purchased some Tofu, Sesame Oil, and Slice Mushrooms. I adapted this Recipe and just place it in Fryer:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/crispy-air-fryer-tofu-8666407

I removed the Kosher Salt, Rice Vinegar, and Honey. I didn't have those items. I set the Timer to 20 minutes. Somewhat noisy like a fan, but tolerable.

I'll post after I eaten this quick Entree.   

Best way to cook tofu. Is to slice it up then pan fry it or air fry it with olive oil and add salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.  Then fry it up until it's firm.  Eat it with rice or kimchi and it's good.   It's the best to eat it.  I also cook some fried eggs sunny side up and Spam.    Use firm tofu not soft tofu.  Soft tofu is for soups.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

5 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

Best way to cook tofu. Is to slice it up then pan fry it or air fry it with olive oil and add salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.  Then fry it up until it's firm.  Eat it with rice or kimchi and it's good.   It's the best to eat it.  I also cook some fried eggs sunny side up and Spam.    Use firm tofu not soft tofu.  Soft tofu is for soups.

This is my fist time cooking fresh Tofu. Before that I only eaten it in frozen Entrees or from take outs.

3 hours ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

So how do you fry eggs in one of these? Just got done with tater tots. Coated them in small amount of Sesame oil and salt.

I threw away the reduced salt Kikoman soy sauce. I didn't place that in fridge after opening it when I brought a while back...

Tater tots taste well with sesame oil and salt.

10 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

So how do you fry eggs in one of these? Just got done with tater tots. Coated them in small amount of Sesame oil and salt.

I threw away the reduced salt Kikoman soy sauce. I didn't place that in fridge after opening it when I brought a while back...

Tater tots taste well with sesame oil and salt.

Eggs should be fried in a frying pan.  As for tater tots.  Most frozen tater tots are pre-fried in oil then frozen.  But normally you add cooking spray with Olive Oil.   Soy Sauce is great but remember most Soy Sauces made contain MSG which is naturally brewed.  Low Sodium Soy Sauce is basically watered down soy sauce.  Try to find a soy sauce that is non-GMO based.

I fried my eggs with butter or Olive Oil.  When I'm doing a Korean style fried egg dish I use Japanese Sesame oil which brings out tons of flavor.  I recommend using this brand of Sesame Oil.  However I don't eat rice I'm on a low carb diet.  I use Cauliflower rice instead. 

Low Carb/Keto Fried Rice

BzGtucynR_WD49h8_fdJNw-square.thumb.jpg.68acda0e97c7f509132f9c2dba1cf40a.jpg

Just now, CalintzJerevinan said:

Eggs should be fried in a frying pan.  As for tater tots.  Most frozen tater tots are pre-fried in oil then frozen.  But normally you add cooking spray with Olive Oil.   Soy Sauce is great but remember most Soy Sauces made contain MSG which is naturally brewed.  Low Sodium Soy Sauce is basically watered down soy sauce.  Try to find a soy sauce that is non-GMO based.

Here in the US most Soy grown is GMO.  I did buy Coconut cooking spray. The bag of frozen tater tots does have Air Fryer instructions on it.

Just now, whm1974 said:

Here in the US most Soy grown is GMO.  I did buy Coconut cooking spray. The bag of frozen tater tots does have Air Fryer instructions on it.

I'm in the USA and they do carry non-GMO soy sauces.  Try an Asian Supermarket make sure it's not made in China.  They do have fake Soy Sauces that is toxic.  It may taste like soy sauce but it's made from human hair and other kinds of chemicals.  I always buy Korean Dark Soy Sauce which is non-GMO or Kikoman soy sauce which should be made in California or Singapore.  

6 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

I'm in the USA and they do carry non-GMO soy sauces.  Try an Asian Supermarket make sure it's not made in China.  They do have fake Soy Sauces that is toxic.  It may taste like soy sauce but it's made from human hair and other kinds of chemicals.  I always buy Korean Dark Soy Sauce which is non-GMO or Kikoman soy sauce which should be made in California or Singapore. 

A food product made human hair sounds really buzzard for anyone to be doing. Are you sure about this?

1 hour ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

Try to find a soy sauce that is non-GMO based.

Why? Surely you're not just saying that because you're part of the whole "it's toxic" club without any good reason, right?

There's literally no difference between GMO and non-GMO on a purely nutritional basis and taste in the great majority of cases. Not to mention, built-in pesticides (if any), are not toxic in the least for humans (just like how chocolate taste great for us, it's not good for some animals... these toxins are not designed to affect us, unless you're drinking the stuff raw. It passes right through you and is taken out with the rest of your wastes).
If anything, there's more advantage to GMO than not.

1 hour ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

It may taste like soy sauce but it's made from human hair and other kinds of chemicals. 

Ah I see, you probably saw some clickbait title (likely on social media) a while ago and didn't do further research...
It's not.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/soy-sauce-made-human-hair/

And lets not even mention the fact that these events supposedly took place in CHINA. Nothing even remotely close to what happens in China sanitation wise would pass in NA.

The worst thing that might happen here, is fake/artificial soy sauce made with things like corn syrup, salt, caramel color, hydrolyzed soy or vegetable protein. No extra chemicals. With vegetable protein that may or may not contain any soy at all. Nothing to do with GMO.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Why? Surely you're not just saying that because you're part of the whole "it's toxic" club without any good reason, right?

There's literally no difference between GMO and non-GMO on a purely nutritional basis and taste in the great majority of cases. Not to mention, built-in pesticides (if any), are not toxic in the least for humans (just like how chocolate taste great for us, it's not good for some animals... these toxins are not designed to affect us, unless you're drinking the stuff raw. It passes right through you and is taken out with the rest of your wastes).
If anything, there's more advantage to GMO than not.

Ah I see, you probably saw some clickbait title (likely on social media) a while ago and didn't do further research...
It's not.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/soy-sauce-made-human-hair/

And lets not even mention the fact that these events supposedly took place in CHINA. Nothing even remotely close to what happens in China sanitation wise would pass in NA.

The worst thing that might happen here, is fake/artificial soy sauce made with things like corn syrup, salt, caramel color, hydrolyzed soy or vegetable protein. No extra chemicals. With vegetable protein that may or may not contain any soy at all. Nothing to do with GMO.

Well to be honest I don't buy any food products from China.  I try to find products that are made in the USA, Mexico, Canada, South Korea, Singapore, and Japan.  

39 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

Well to be honest I don't buy any food products from China.  I try to find products that are made in the USA, Mexico, Canada, South Korea, Singapore, and Japan.  

Well I try not to buy food items from China either. But I also make an effort not repeat false  claims about China as well.

On 9/20/2021 at 5:48 AM, whm1974 said:

I never tried this, and Don't know where to buy it either. Strange but I tried searching for "Where to buy Tempeh" on Yahoo and kept getting houses for sale.

And no I am not going to try making it myself.

Just fyi btw, In Indonesia here, it's fuckin' everywhere, one "block" of tempeh is around $0.20

And some tips if you were to buy and Cook one, try to submerged the tempe slice in water and salt for a good 30-60 minutes before frying

Edited by Freakwise

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

4 hours ago, Freakwise said:

Just fyi btw, In Indonesia here, it's fuckin' everywhere, one "block" of tempeh is around $0.20

And some tips if you were to buy and Cook one, try to submerged the tempe slice in water and salt for a good 30-60 minutes before frying

How big a block for $0.20? And why do you soak said Tempeh water and salt(brine?) for that long?

33 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

How big a block for $0.20? And why do you soak said Tempeh water and salt(brine?) for that long?

Don't quite have a raw one atm (bcs my mother cooks all of them😂), but the length should be more or less like this mask box (my hand for raw comparison)

IMG-20210921-WA0003.thumb.jpg.e0eda3de376f764c7db129256ca86259.jpg

And this is what the cooked slice looks like

IMG-20210921-WA0004.thumb.jpg.e4a6591ae2be69aadd61fa0cc7cb9357.jpg

As for why submerged it, well on it's own tempe is like really bland ( when you eat it as is, what you eat is more or less just the texture of it) so it's there to add some salty-ness, and tbh 30 minutes should be enough, you don't have to have lots of salt on the water btw, a tea spoon of salt per glass of water should be sufficient

And you don't want to add salt after frying, it's... Let's just say a bad move

Edited by Freakwise

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

10 minutes ago, Freakwise said:

Don't quite have a raw one atm (bcs my mother cooks all of them😂), but the length should be more or less like this mask box (my hand for raw comparison)

IMG-20210921-WA0003.thumb.jpg.e0eda3de376f764c7db129256ca86259.jpg

And this is what the cooked slice looks like

IMG-20210921-WA0004.thumb.jpg.e4a6591ae2be69aadd61fa0cc7cb9357.jpg

As for why submerged it, well on it's own tempe is like really bland ( when you eat it as is, what you eat is more or less just the texture of it) so it's there to add some salty-ness, and tbh 30 minutes should be enough, you don't have to have lots of salt on the water btw, a tea spoon of salt per glass of water should be sufficient

And you don't want to add salt after frying, it's... Let's just say a bad move

I would have to go to a nearby Asian Market close to where I live to buy Tempeh. I'm in the US.

Every time I look up anything about Soy foods, like real soy sauce, Tofu, Tempeh, and the like, there are always some random Site that either raves on how the Legume is Superfood or rants on how bad it is for Humans. Or it's bad unless it is a fermented food, like Natto or Stinky Tofu. Of course Asians have consuming such products for 1,000s of Years with very little to no ill-effects...

So what are the actually Facts of Soybeans anyway?

one of the bads is what it does to the soil, at least the way we're farming it now.

can't really comment on human nutrition regarding soy, but as for Asia's consumption for example, China's buys a lot of it's soy from developing countries, such as Brazil, in order to not deplete their own soil and still have soy

The idea that soy is harmful to you comes from the bodybuilding community. They saw that soy contains phytoestrogens and because bodybuilders are rarely the cream of the crop when it comes to academia, they simply made the erroneous assumption that phytoestrogens are the same thing as regular old female estrogen, because names that sound similar must mean the same thing, right? 

From there it spread into a multitude of communities, mostly neckbeardy incel groups who claim that soy products are responsible for the feminization of modern men. A lot of reactionary grifters jumped on that trend to have another talking point. Ironically, someone like Alex Jones, whose associates like Paul Joseph Watson have been spreading this nonsense about soy being harmful all over the places sells supplement pills that mostly contain soy and other ingredients derived from soy. 

Basically, soy isn't harmful for you, with the typical caveat that if the rest of your nutrition is terrible, a bit of soy won't massively improve it and as with everything, you shouldn't exclusively consume soy.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

Soy is one of the best vegetable sources of protein. That is why virtually every animal cultures are fed with it.

There is research showing it does impact humans but especially during neonatal/children exposure
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25587246/

This one says while research on humans found no to little impact, impact on other animals and in vitro is well known.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22210487/

Compared with humans, the evidence that animals are affected by soy consumption or isoflavone exposure is extensive. It is generally well accepted that female fertility is disrupted by in utero or neonatal exposure to isoflavones. Multiple animal studies have documented alterations in the timing of vaginal opening, estrous cyclicity, ovarian function, HPG axis, an increased number of multi-oocyte follicles (MOFs) and subfertility. Concerning male reproductive health, studies have found that consumption of soy or phytoestrogens resulted in alteration of androgens, LH and FSH levels. Negative effects on litter size and sperm production are only observed during life-long exposure, suggesting that shorter, specific periods of exposure may not cause detrimental effects on male reproduction in rodents.

I'd say you can eat it whenever you feel like, but don't eat it as often nor give it to children.

Speaking of Babies, I'm surprised there not more mothers in the US who breastfeed. I know Formula isn't cheap.

Was there Campaign against Breastfeeding in Western Countries at one point? That sounds like a Parody or Urban Myth to me. Then again People can be rather really strange...

5 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I'm surprised there not more mothers in the US who breastfeed.

You mean in public or at all? Here it is rare to see it in public as most commercial buildings/shopping centers have a room for that. In private, I think all mothers that have enough milk (which is not always the case e.g. my stepmother with my triplet sisters) breastfeed their children. 

26 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

You mean in public or at all? Here it is rare to see it in public as most commercial buildings/shopping centers have a room for that. In private, I think all mothers that have enough milk (which is not always the case e.g. my stepmother with my triplet sisters) breastfeed their children. 

I'm mean not at all. I did one see one mother breastfeed in public ~three years ago or so. I was going to some mental health support groups at the time. She was setting in a chair in the hallway feeding a 1 1/2 old(?). I looked away and avoided staring at her.

Didn't want her to feel uncomfortable. Mother's Milk is best for infants or so they say.

I don't necessarily have a dedicated air fryer but I use my convection oven with a deep pan that has a grill on top. 

I found it to be excellent with pub foods like chicken wings, chicken fingers, tater tots, fries etc.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz