Food & Cooking

whm1974
43 minutes ago, Benji said:

Wow, that looks like an edible heart attack. I'm having one right now from only seeing it 馃槈

I purchased the bacon and cheese from 7-11 Saturday Morning. Sorry Me I forgot to add the onion...

Some older woman there told me I would be asking for a heart attack eating it.

I like unhealthy foods as much as the next person but that's too much even for myself. I thought this was going to be about cooking with bacon grease.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I like unhealthy foods as much as the next person but that's too much even for myself. I thought this was going to be about cooking with bacon grease.

Well I eating this slowly and not very often. I also poured the bacon grease out as well. I'll share if anyone around wants any.

Next Dish will be a bacon casserole with all kinds of veggies.

40 minutes ago, FmPhenom said:

Tell me you saved the grease!聽

I offered it to anyone wanted it, but no takers.

WOah, You tried to give it away instead of keeping the liquid gold for yourself?????????????????????????????

4 minutes ago, FmPhenom said:

WOah, You tried to give it away instead of keeping the liquid gold for yourself?????????????????????????????

I'm Middle Age. Bad enough I'm eating slices of Bacon Pie... I did just give a homeless guy a piece of it with some water.

56 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I'm Middle Age. Bad enough I'm eating slices of Bacon Pie... I did just give a homeless guy a piece of it with some water.

I feel yeah, I聽was born in 74.

Bacon grease makes the best pancakes. Sausage grease is a close second.

On 7/11/2021 at 2:43 PM, whm1974 said:

I offered it to anyone wanted it, but no takers.

Please please please tell me you did not pour the grease down the drain.

For Sale:聽Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red聽- HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Please please please tell me you did not pour the grease down the drain.

In the trash of course.

On 7/10/2021 at 5:02 AM, whm1974 said:

How come Okra isn't common in IL?

There's always some at the produce section at the Woodman's we go to.

11 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Bacon grease makes the best pancakes. Sausage grease is a close second.

Second this. Bacon grease pancakes are really good, and when my dad makes plantain pancakes with bacon grease...

elephants

12 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

There's always some at the produce section at the Woodman's we go to.

Second this. Bacon grease pancakes are really good, and when my dad makes plantain pancakes with bacon grease...

I haven't had anything plantain since I was in Guatemala a very long time ago. Got some delicious fried plantain chips from a lady selling them by the bus we took from near the capital back to the border with Belize. Oh and the road side taquitos...nothing has matched that little concrete hutch hanging over the river somewhere on the way to Tikal. The chicken down there is just way tastier, not bread to be big and fluffy. That's why I like chicken thigh more than chicken breast. It actually has taste and holds flavors.

34 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I haven't had anything plantain since I was in Guatemala a very long time ago. Got some delicious fried plantain chips from a lady selling them by the bus we took from near the capital back to the border with Belize. Oh and the road side taquitos...nothing has matched that little concrete hutch hanging over the river somewhere on the way to Tikal. The chicken down there is just way tastier, not bread to be big and fluffy. That's why I like chicken thigh more than chicken breast. It actually has taste and holds flavors.

How do you get all meat of chicken thighs? Almost as bad as wings

2 hours ago, whm1974 said:

How do you get all meat of chicken thighs? Almost as bad as wings

You can buy them boneless, but it's not so bad with bone in either. Just eat around the bones....??

• 1 month later...

I went online and brought an Air Fryer from Walmart. I figured these things are a lot safer then a Deep Fryer. Plus no used cooking oil to dispose of. This one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Instant-Pot-Vortex-4-in-1-Air-Fryer-6-Quart-4-One-Touch-Programs-Air-Fry-Roast-Bake-Reheat/198766576

So those who have one what do cook in them? And how is your experience using it?

EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING.聽
Seriously, I love mine. I use it for all the things you'd normally use an oven for, especially if they're premade.
For instance, the readymade lasagnas in a tin foil tub that you'd normally have to put in an oven for 25 minutes (after heating it up for another 15)?
Just heat up the airfrier for 2 minutes, put it in, 9 minutes later; Done.聽
Microwave american pancakes, also amazing in the airfrier. They taste way better and actually get slightly crispy.
Small breadrolls that you'd normally finish off in the oven? Airfryer.聽
Anything fryable that is also designed to be baked in an oven (potato wedges, french fries, certain burgers); Airfryer.
Yesterday's leftover pizza slice? Airfryer.聽聽
Seriously, the thing is amazing. Saves you time and electricity. Just treat it like a little oven that's slightly better at baking things that are 'not quite' meant for an oven and you 're golden. It warms up faster than you think and baking time is way shorter.
Also, you can take the drawer and basket out and put them in the dishwasher. Try that with a normal fryer.聽
Yours looks quite fancy, mine just has temperature and timer and it's still an absolute gem :D.聽

Edit:聽(I'm sure you can also do more haute cuisine stuff in it but I detest cooking, so I just eat this kind of crap :D)

14 minutes ago, s_k said:

Seriously, I love mine. I use it for all the things you'd normally use an oven for, especially if they're premade.
For instance, the readymade lasagnas in a tin foil tub that you'd normally have to put in an oven for 25 minutes (after heating it up for another 15)?
Microwave american pancakes, also amazing in the airfrier. They taste way better and actually get slightly crispy.
Anything fryable that is also designed to be baked in an oven (potato wedges, french fries, certain burgers); Airfryer.
Seriously, the thing is amazing. Saves you time and electricity. Just treat it like a little oven that's slightly better at baking things that are 'not quite' meant for an oven and you 're golden. It warms up faster than you think and baking time is way shorter.
Also, you can take the drawer and basket out and put them in the dishwasher. Try that with a normal fryer.聽
Yours looks quite fancy, mine just has temperature and timer and it's still an absolute gem :D.聽

Edit:聽(I'm sure you can also do more haute cuisine stuff in it but I detest cooking, so I just eat this kind of crap :D)

Thanks. I enjoy Fried Okra, and while I do have a Cast Iron Skillet, there is the Issue of disposing of the used oil properly and having to Season said skillet after cleaning it.

You can do roast chicken, but keep your expectations in check when doing air fried chicken. Deep fried chicken is still better. If you鈥檙e roasting chicken, better to do a whole chicken instead of parts. Right now my use case for an air fryer is roasted root vegetables. Drizzle with olive oil, little salt and pepper and my quick dinner is done.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

7 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

You can do roast chicken, but keep your expectations in check when doing air fried chicken. Deep fried chicken is still better. If you鈥檙e roasting chicken, better to do a whole chicken instead of parts. Right now my use case for an air fryer is roasted root vegetables. Drizzle with olive oil, little salt and pepper and my quick dinner is done.

So will a whole chicken fir into a six quart Air Fryer? I've seen some fair size frozen chicken before.

2 hours ago, s_k said:

are air fryers a substitute聽for microwaves or do you still use the microwave?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

4 hours ago, whm1974 said:

So will a whole chicken fir into a six quart Air Fryer? I've seen some fair size frozen chicken before.

If a whole chicken won鈥檛 fit, you can always try a Cornish game hen.聽

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

If a whole chicken won鈥檛 fit, you can always try a Cornish game hen.聽

I never had one of those. How are they?