Food & Cooking

whm1974
1 hour ago, Bitter said:

I'm not sure either, and to be honest I think I like the Meijer store brand more than the brand name Jimmy Dean I got the 2nd time. Figured I'd splurge on brand name and nah, the store brand was better. It was a little spicier and less greasy.

So to clarify for the non US people, we have a few kinds of breakfast sausage. Links and patties mostly though, links are self explanatory and I'm sure you have breakfast sausage links too but maybe spiced differently. Our sausage patties though are uncased and more coarsely ground and often a little spicier with red pepper flakes. 4-5 minutes a side on medium to medium high heat depending how browned and crispy you like them. Save the grease in the pan to make a pancake with if you're into that kind of thing.

Jimmy dean is a big National one whereas the other is smaller. Might be sage.  It’s a bit like pumpkin spice as it sort of defines a thing.  You get vegan “breakfast sausage” and they have the same spice in em

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve heard don’t use soap for washing cast iron.  Use water and heat because soap pull the oil out of the metal.

My parents told me the exact same haha. Just rinse with hot water and never use soap. I was also told to avoid stuff like tomato sauces and other acidic foods as they could strip some of the seasoning or get a metallic flavour.

8 hours ago, whm1974 said:

The Liquid Dish Soap. Like Dawn. Does seasoning produced a deal of smoke? I don't want the Fire Department showing up And I end on Nationwide News just because I was only Seasoning a Cast Iron Skillet in my Oven...

There shouldn't be much if you've correctly wiped off most of the oil. Just keep a close eye on it if you try.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Cleaning the pan with soap will remove the seasoning, not at once but little by little.

Dont, if you cant wipe with a cloth and get most nasty stuff out, you will also have to season it again.

(After washing with soap you ALWAYS re-season).

Seasoning should result in a little bit of smoke. If you put it on hotplate you can add more oil to reduce the smoking. But it smoking means its seasoning.
Just make sure you dont burn the pan (get dark spot when seasoning) those are hard to get out and are not as stick free as the rest.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

At the risk of sounding gross, I don't wash my cast iron unless I have to. If I'm cooking right then nothing sticks and I just wipe it out with some clean oil on a cloth while it's still hot and put it away.

Heat is a decent sterilizer.  I do this too, though I usually need a little water. The idea is to use water on the pan only when it is so hot it will flash boil the water.  This usually lifts off whatever it is.  This is why sauces don’t work as well.  Too much surface area with crap on it so the flash boiling thing can fail.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Heat is a decent sterilizer.  I do this too, though I usually need a little water. The idea is to use water on the pan only when it is so hot it will flash boil the water.  This usually lifts off whatever it is.  This is why sauces don’t work as well.  Too much surface area with crap on it so the flash boiling thing can fail.

Well cooling down  a pan that fast i cannot recommend tho. It can warp and all sort of weird shit.

I would say first let the pan cool to the waters temp. (You could do that with couple teaspoons amount of water in the pan. But no more.)

5 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Well cooling down  a pan that fast i cannot recommend tho. It can warp and all sort of weird shit.

I would say first let the pan cool to the waters temp. (You could do that with couple teaspoons amount of water in the pan. But no more.)

Cast iron resists that better than some.  It would shatter as easily as warp.  Cast iron is brittle.  Never had one shatter on me though. 

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Cast iron resists that better than some.  It would shatter as easily as warp.  Cast iron is brittle.  Never had one shatter on me though. 

Ah yeah i might have been comparing it to much to carbon steel pan. You are correct.

But still i would NOT change temperature that much that fast.

The thermal shock can make stress fractures that you might not see, and reduce the pans effectiveness and even safety.

Resulting in the said warping, or rather with cast-iron fracturing. Altho not to common, i'd not try it out. Patience is a good thing sometimes. 😄

And you know as any other that your experiences are not conclusive in the whole market.😉

Well guys I'm learning how to use Cast Iron Cookware. Does take some use to however.

19 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well guys I'm learning how to use Cast Iron Cookware. Does take some use to however.

Yeah.  Simultaneously cheap and good are rare though.  Cast iron cookware does that

25 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah.  Simultaneously cheap and good are rare though.  Cast iron cookware does that

Some happen to Cast Iron almost disappearing in American's Kitchens? I had my Skillet for awhile when I move in where I'm at. Been here since Sept 2007. This Year is the first one I used it.

57 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Some happen to Cast Iron almost disappearing in American's Kitchens? I had my Skillet for awhile when I move in where I'm at. Been here since Sept 2007. This Year is the first one I used it.

Teflon pan salespeople hate cast iron (because it’s so out of patent it may never of had one) so it gets ripped on a lot during late night infomercials.  

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Teflon pan salespeople hate cast iron (because it’s so out of patent it may never of had one) so it gets ripped on a lot during late night infomercials.  

Well after using the CI Skillet for a few times now, I have to say the Iron does cook better then Teflon frying pans.

Just remember to add butter or oil and wear a mitten before holding the handle. And of course Reseason the Skillet now and then.

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

Well after using the CI Skillet for a few times now, I have to say the Iron does cook better then Teflon frying pans.

Just remember to add butter or oil and wear a mitten before holding the handle. And of course Reseason the Skillet now and then.

Spray oil was sort of made for cast iron pans.  Gets an even coating with less oil.  The hot handle thing does remain a bit of a pain. There used to be wire handles ones.  They went the way of the dodo.  Probably manufacturing expense.  There are a lot of pot holder sleeve type things though that were made specifically for cast iron handles.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Spray oil was sort of made for cast iron pans.  Gets an even coating with less oil.  The hot handle thing does remain a bit of a pain. There used to be wire handles ones.  They went the way of the dodo.  Probably manufacturing expense.  There are a lot of pot holder sleeve type things though that were made specifically for cast iron handles.

Thanks about the Spray Oil. Come to think of it, most owners will perfer the bare handle instead. Cook something in the oven or grill and all that.

Speaking of Ovens, how do I bake Cornbread with one w/o burning the bottom?

17 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Thanks about the Spray Oil. Come to think of it, most owners will perfer the bare handle instead. Cook something in the oven or grill and all that.

Speaking of Ovens, how do I bake Cornbread with one w/o burning the bottom?

The problem with the handle covers is cast iron pans are quite heavy, and a handle cover reduces grip.

My personal solution is to not bake cornbread.  I’ve eaten a lot of cornbread with parchment paper on the bottom.  Might have something to do with it.

Edited by Bombastinator

33 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem with the handle covers is cast iron pans are quite heavy, and a handle cover reduces grip.

My personal solution is to not bake cornbread.  I’ve eaten a lot of cornbread with parchment paper on the bottom.  Might have something to do with it.

Never seen Parchment Paper. Cupcake/muffin paper cups yes.

5 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Never seen Parchment Paper. Cupcake/muffin paper cups yes.

It’s that stuff but comes in a roll like cling film.  Available in the bakery aisle of a lot of grocery stores.  Can also be used for poaching fish iirc. It 

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Anyone noticed that Cast Iron is perfect for grilled cheese sandwiches?

Frying the bread.  Makes sense.

Put an over soft fried egg in the middle of that grilled cheese, you'll thank me!

Oh do your Brits have the thing were you put a hole in the bread and crack an egg in it and fry the egg with the break in a pan? Love that, I think it's called eggs in a nest? Gotta have the yolk runny or at least over soft.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Put an over soft fried egg in the middle of that grilled cheese, you'll thank me!

Oh do your Brits have the thing were you put a hole in the bread and crack an egg in it and fry the egg with the break in a pan? Love that, I think it's called eggs in a nest? Gotta have the yolk runny or at least over soft.

It is Toad in a hole. Found that by watching a few Brit themed movies.

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

It is Toad in a hole. Found that by watching a few Brit themed movies.

Nice, good to know you have that too but that's kind of a gross-er name lol.

15 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

Ah yeah i might have been comparing it to much to carbon steel pan. You are correct.

But still i would NOT change temperature that much that fast.

The thermal shock can make stress fractures that you might not see, and reduce the pans effectiveness and even safety.

Resulting in the said warping, or rather with cast-iron fracturing. Altho not to common, i'd not try it out. Patience is a good thing sometimes. 😄

And you know as any other that your experiences are not conclusive in the whole market.😉

You’re treating this like a new material though instead of a really really old one.  The behavior and tolerances of cast iron are very very well understood.  It’s been around longer than steel.  Myself I was taught as a child to deal with cast iron pans specifically this way. 50 years of no problems.  

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

I remember it as a very specifically british thing called “toad in the hole”. No idea why.  

47 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Nice, good to know you have that too but that's kind of a gross-er name lol.

There’s a lot of history associated with various food names.  There is apparently a dessert made with currants (which are like raisins but smaller and more acidic) called “spotted dick”. There was a fairly bad film the premise of which is due to a bizarre accident a person so far down the line of succession they actually lived in the US is made monarch (Kinda stupid) anyway he is presented with spotted dick and asks “um… dick of what?”