Food & Cooking

whm1974
33 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I never had one of those. How are they?

They taste like Chicken. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

as @s_k said, anything and everything.  Love mine and cook a lot of things in it.

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

41 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

They taste like Chicken. 

Everything taste like chicken... Are they more enjoyable then regular roasters?

We prefer good old glass convection oven (the sort that were advertised by Mr. T). It has bigger space and we upgraded it ourselves using lifted teflon mesh where you put things to bake. Had one for like 10 years and it died. We bought the same one again. Awesome stuff.

We do everything in it. Only thing we don't do are cakes and stuff. But it's great for fish and meat, grill chese and basically anything that's frozen and meant for a fryer.

The way I cook grilled cheese and egg, is I fry the egg first and put a spread on the inside of the slices of bread, add one or two slices of cheese. Then put the sandwich back in the skillet. Wait until cheese is melted. Enjoy.

How would I do this any differently?

12 hours ago, whm1974 said:

I figured these things are a lot safer then a Deep Fryer. Plus no used cooking oil to dispose of.

Because it's not a fryer. It's a small convection oven, or a oven with a fan. The main difference between a convection oven and a Air Fryer is that a Air Fryer is smaller which means it can distribute heat more evenly, usually resulting in a crispier exterior on the food. Calling it a Air Fryer is very misleading marketing tactic.

9 hours ago, adarw said:

are air fryers a substitute for microwaves or do you still use the microwave?

It's a small convection oven, so technically it could replace your microwave if your main intention is to reheat food, though it will be slower. With that said they do make 2 in 1 Microwaves, which offers the functionality of both a Microwave and a convection oven. I personally have one.

32 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

Because it's not a fryer. It's a small convection oven, or a oven with a fan. The main difference between a convection oven and a Air Fryer is that a Air Fryer is smaller which means it can distribute heat more evenly, usually resulting in a crispier exterior on the food. Calling it a Air Fryer is very misleading marketing tactic.

It's a small convection oven, so technically it could replace your microwave if your main intention is to reheat food, though it will be slower. With that said they do make 2 in 1 Microwaves, which offers the functionality of both a Microwave and a convection oven. I personally have one.

Spruceeats explains more:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/air-fryer-vs-convection-oven-4774315#:~:text=The quick answer is%2C an air fryer is,your food is directly immersed in hot oil.

Both gadgets do not look anything alike. Plus the Fryer is smaller so I can put it under my sink when not using.

14 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Thanks. I enjoy Fried Okra, and while I do have a Cast Iron Skillet, there is the Issue of disposing of the used oil properly and having to Season said skillet after cleaning it.

I don't think I had an okra in my life, but google images made me want to try it

12 hours ago, adarw said:

are air fryers a substitute for microwaves or do you still use the microwave?

I sometimes buy frozen microwave-able meals and those really wouldn't work in an airfryer. Also I sometimes use the microwave to heat up milk or defrost bread if I'm in a hurry, but then I was never a huge microwave-user. Things like microwaveable american pancakes and 'poffertjes' (google them, it's Dutch) definitely work way better in the airfryer. Also there's loads of snacks that you would normally fry, that have a microwave-eable variant that never quite works, that kind of stuff really works in an airfyer too. But generally things that you'd normally put in an oven, as long as they are small enough, are done way quicker and easier in an airfryer. If you treat it like a little oven that's somehow doing a slightly better job than most ovens, you 're golden. Experimenting is really key here, but usually things turn out just fine 🙂

make home fries

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

The other day I did PopCorn, so... Yeah, anything.

I live in a tiny apartment and the kitchen didn't had an oven, I was between a microwave, a tiny oven or an air-fryer... I choose the later and I'm not disappointed.

Workstation | AMD AM4 3950X (16C/32T) | Radeon RX 6800 XT GAMING X TRIO 16G | MSI MAG B550 | 4x32 GB DDR4 3200Mhz HyperX Fury | x2 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus | x4 2TB Western Digital Blue 3D NAND | x8 CoolerMaster SickFlow RGB Fans | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240ML | Fractal Design Ion+ 860W Platinum | Cougar 550x Mesh

I make toasted cheese (a low moisture one that doesn't melt that unless cooked at a very low temperature), using the included bucket. I also fry some thinly sliced bacon or sausage to put in the pasta (I make a small bucket of aluminum foil and put it in the basket, fry the food, then dump the meat and oil into the food I'm making, then I dump the aluminum foil into the trash).

Other than that, I use it mostly for pre-fried potatoes (non pre-fried are terrible) and heating other finger foods (e.g. in pt-br: coxinha, pão de queijo, quibe, bolinha de queijo, dadinho de tapioca). 

Used to fry normal potatoes (in wedges), but they start to burn/dry before they ever get crunchy. Coating them with oil, as the manual says it should be done, helps with the crunchyness but makes a mess on the basket.

Baking sweet breads or cake: meh. I still prefer a normal gas oven. Salty breads = bread machine.
I don't make individual portions of anything, so it just doesn't make sense for me. 

At least in mine, the basket bottom (spoiler) absolutely destroys brushes and sponges, which makes cleaning it a nightmare.
Dishwasher does absolutely nothing to clean it.

Spoiler

Fritadeira Air Fryer Viva Philips Walita 110v 127v Nota ...

My general opinion: great if your expectations are reasonable. I like mine even with all the cons. 

2 hours ago, nich99 said:

I have one. It's terrific

What is wrong with it?

50 minutes ago, Gagz9k said:

I live in a tiny apartment and the kitchen didn't had an oven, I was between a microwave, a tiny oven or an air-fryer... I choose the later and I'm not disappointed.

Oatmeal? Probably need a Microwave for that.

3 hours ago, Gagz9k said:

If i had to choose between those three, I'd immediately go for the Airfryer too. You could technically bake half a pizza in it if you stacked creatively

16 hours ago, Benji said:

I think you've misread that. Terrific≠terrible

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/terrific

Well, we don't have an air fryer at home, but I've heard from two people that own them that it pretty much depends on your expectation whether or not you're gonna be happy with one. Apparently, on some air fryers the recommended times to do different things are a little off (fries, for example, take quite a bit longer than it actually claims to take).

It also depends on the brand. An air-fryer is not more than a oven with a fan system that move the hot air. There ARE ovens that do that, but the air-fryer is, in general, a better compact package of that specific type of ovens, normally reserved for larger, or industrial, kitchens.

That say, if you know what you're getting (and yes, I also did pizza on mine) it's a pretty solid add-on for the kitchen.

Workstation | AMD AM4 3950X (16C/32T) | Radeon RX 6800 XT GAMING X TRIO 16G | MSI MAG B550 | 4x32 GB DDR4 3200Mhz HyperX Fury | x2 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus | x4 2TB Western Digital Blue 3D NAND | x8 CoolerMaster SickFlow RGB Fans | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240ML | Fractal Design Ion+ 860W Platinum | Cougar 550x Mesh

13 minutes ago, Gagz9k said:

It also depends on the brand.

I'd say it depends more on the specific model. I've seen air fryers ranging all the way from 800W and up to 2000W.

15 minutes ago, Gagz9k said:

I also did pizza on mine

You mean from the scratch or just cook a frozen pizza/re-heat? From scratch, I would recommend one of these:

1 hour ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

I'd say it depends more on the specific model. I've seen air fryers ranging all the way from 800W and up to 2000W.

You mean from the scratch or just cook a frozen pizza/re-heat? From scratch, I would recommend one of these:

Agree on both statements, mine is a 1800w from Oster. And yes, from scratch (with pre-made dough, though) however I only occasionally do pizza, so it was more like a WAY COULD GO WRONG? type of experiment. I use a layer of baking paper for the bottom and a lot of cheese.

Not related but important nonetheless; it was a pineapple pepperoni pizza.

I also have done BBQ baby back ribs, Kentucky style chicken, asado negro (is a Venezuelan food, and I don't going to even try to translate that) and other, no necessarily fried style, foods.

I'd still 100% go for an industrial professional oven, but air-fryer are like NUC are to threadripper-class workstations.

3 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

I'm sure Pizza from scratch is more troublesome for me to be worth doing. And besides Domino's has a carry out special. A short walk to and back.

SO who uses a Secrete Ingredient when preparing Dishes and which ones? Many Folks tend to use Anchovy Paste or a bit of some kind of Mustard. Chili often has one or the other, or even both. Exotic(To Americans) Spices?

Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce?

I am not usually one to correct people's spelling online but...

Secret. SECRET ingredient. Don't need that final "e." 

"Secrete" makes this really, really gross. 🤢

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I am not usually one to correct people's spelling online but...

Secret. SECRET ingredient. Don't need that final "e." 

"Secrete" makes this really, really gross. 🤢

So focused on that one, missed "Ingredent". 🤣

I love vinegar, it goes on everything. All kinds.

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

2 minutes ago, rickeo said:

So focused on that one, missed "Ingredent". 🤣

I love vinegar, it goes on everything. All kinds.

"Ingredent" doesn't have the revolting implications. Like I said, I don't correct typos just for the fun of it. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

11 minutes ago, Middcore said:

"Ingredent" doesn't have the revolting implications. Like I said, I don't correct typos just for the fun of it. 

Blame the Spell Checker... For not catching that. As far as Secrete goes, do you drink Milk? Milk is secreted from the mammary glades...

Mine:

71Jsiqz0aiL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.9c94ee99c3302e865e2f795671dca008.jpg

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Just now, whm1974 said:

Blame the Spell Checker... For not catching that. As far as Secrete goes, do you drink Milk? Milk is secreted from the mammary glades...

But not from yours! 😜