TV/Monitor Recommendations For Using Original NES, SNES, Sega Genesis Consoles

I have my childhood console collection and would like to use them from time to time and don't follow the retro gaming community enough to know this answer and google is making me more confused.

Consoles:  SNES, NES, Sega Genesis

Goal:  Play them in 2024 BUT not have to buy a massive TV if I don't have too.  Ideally would like to use the same Gaming Monitor I use for PC/XSX Gaming + Audio/Video Editing.

The first problem is I'm torn on what path.  Do I find some type of interface that works with monitor monitors that the consoles plug into OR do I source an old CRT and if I do that and it's far superior what am I looking for exactly?

Appreciate any and all advice!

If you have the space and the money for a CRT, go for it. An adapter, at most, will run for 20 USD(just search AV to HDMI Adapter). They will upscale it to 720p or 1080p, and if you have a high-resolution display, the display will upscale again. Basically, 2 separate layers of a crappy version of "Radeon Super Resolution" (not actually RSR, but you get the point).

Have much experience with the Retrotink 5x?  The prices for these upscalers are all over the place from $20 or so just like you mentioned to $300 or so.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, WarmEngine said:

Have much experience with the Retrotink 5x?  The prices for these upscalers are all over the place from $20 or so just like you mentioned to $300 or so.

the cheap ones dont work.(too much input lag) the cheapest that works is the ossc but its meh it down grades the signal but works to convert to hdmi. the retro tink dose work thow. radx also works or frame mister mini but if your spending that much i would just get the retrotink 5x (the best is the retrotink 4k but the cost...)

or you can get a crt monitor  /tv also would work.

you could go mini classic consoles too that have hdmi and mod them for more games...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

For the best experience in my opinion, CRT TV or broadcast monitor is always the way to go. Preferably one with S-Video and/or Component (YPbPr). For SNES, might also want to find a decent quality S-Video cable such as one from Insurrection Industries or Cinpel for the easiest decent quality experience (note, these also work for N64 and GameCube). If you get a TV with component video, you can get the HD Retrovision Component Cable for Sega Genesis. For NES, just use the built in composite output on the side. I'd recommend getting a RCA splitter cable for the sound or one of the "Simulated Stereo" cables for NES (basically the same thing) since the NES only has a Mono output.

If you don't want to fool with getting a CRT and want easy + not super expensive, then look into LevelHike HDMI adapters for SNES/N64/GameCube and Genesis. These plug directly into the consoles and do a more direct conversion. They just convert the signal to something that plays nice with modern TVs and monitors without adding a bunch of input lag. While I don't really use them since I have a CRT setup, I do have ones for PS2 and PSP and they work pretty well. Since they each have their own HDMI output, you may want to find a decent HDMI switch as well. I don't really have any suggestions for anything cheap/easy for the NES though. I'm sure some quick Googling will lead to a Composite to HDMI adapter that doesn't add a bunch of lag.

If you want to shell out the cash and really get into the weeds, Retrotink 5X or Retrotink 4K and watch a bunch of tutorials on YouTube. You'll probably want S-Video, SCART, or Component cables for what you can as well.

Daily Drives 

Windows 11 + Mac Soma + Mint Linux + Ubuntu MATE 

HomeLab

Proxmox + OPNsense + TrueNAS + Zabbix + Debian + win Svr 2022 + win10 + Home Assistant + iventoy + plus other junk  and like 12 dockers! 

Home Network

Unifi  - Express, flex, 8 port POE, Ap's other switches