Tech that refuses to die

pm128
17 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Pushed the reset SMC button one too many times.

SMC reset button? Is that something Apple came up with?

2008 Panasonic Viera plasma screen TV. That thing is definitely on its last legs though.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

56 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

SMC reset button? Is that something Apple came up with?

SMC = System Management Controller.

Kinda like the PMU.

If you push the reset button more than once during a power cycle, it crashes.

elephants

28 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

SMC = System Management Controller.

Kinda like the PMU.

If you push the reset button more than once during a power cycle, it crashes.

That sounds really strange for a PC to do. But I don't see how that will break a computer. Well unless you held down the rest button and kept power cycling for some odd reason.

My grandfathers pacemaker. I'll never get that inheritance at this rate.

Probably a joke in bad taste given his current health conditions, but I'm sure if he could understand me he'd find it funny.

#Muricaparrotgang

I have an LG CRT from the late '90s

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

16 hours ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Title says it all... For me it's my late '09 mac mini (dubbed by by friends as the Hack Mini) that exists for the sole purpose of testing code I write on my PC, so like unity games and etc. It's easier than a VM.

Specs are Core 2 duo 2.53gHz (dual core) and 8g of ram, and a 512GB SSD.

Merged with similar thread (and also third from 1.5mo ago).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Didn't that come out in later 2000? I am really surprised the Compatibility Mode actually worked for WinXP Drivers.

Just looked it up, June of 2000, I was born May 1999, so right around my first birthday should be about right. And yeah, the WinXP drivers surprised me too. I haven't tested everything, but video and multi monitor works, that's all I need for a garage PC. 

13 hours ago, EjectedCasings said:

2008 Panasonic Viera plasma screen TV. That thing is definitely on its last legs though.

I've got an '09 Viera plasma. Still rocking it until a good OLED deal pops up. I'm tempted every few weeks between the MicroCenter and BestBuy deals, even some of the new QLED's (The Vizio M7/M8, Sony X950) are tempting me. I secured a PS5 so the itch for a UHD display is really getting to me now. 

15 hours ago, Heliian said:

My Sony tv's.  None of them have ever died, just became obsolete.  

I think my parent's old Sony Trinitron CRT from the late 90's was still working when they donated it a few years back. We used that thing for an NES and it was my bedroom TV for a number of years. It had to have thousands of hours on it, my parents would leave it on to fall asleep at night and I played many hours on it myself. Never even needed the ol' slap technique. 

1 hour ago, Colty said:

I think my parent's old Sony Trinitron CRT from the late 90's was still working when they donated it a few years back. We used that thing for an NES and it was my bedroom TV for a number of years. It had to have thousands of hours on it, my parents would leave it on to fall asleep at night and I played many hours on it myself. Never even needed the ol' slap technique. 

Ha, my first was a late 70s/early 80s that we donated in the late 90s.  Then a 90s "flat" model that I still have in storage.  The move to lcd around 2006, I got a 32" which is still in use in my office.  A slightly newer, 2010ish 40" is the daily driver. 

All of them were moved several times and have run for thousands of hours.  The picture quality is fantastic and the aspect ratios are perfect. 

I would not buy any other brand, even if newer stuff isn't as robust, 40years of Sony tv's with zero failures has me sold. 

My 15 years old 60GB hard drive

My 13 years old 80GB hard drive

My 8 years old Fujitsu laptop.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

18 minutes ago, Vishera said:

My 15 years old 60GB hard drive

My 13 years old 80GB hard drive

I have a 14GB Seagate drive with a 2000 construction date that still works.

17 hours ago, Heliian said:

My Sony tv's

Every Sony product I've ever owned still works (PS2 Slim, headphones, a57, a7II, PS4 Slim, Vaio laptop from 2011).

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

HP15C

Required purchase my Freshman year of engineering, 1982

Reverse Polish Notation.

Who can make this up?

Still works as well as any calculator.

Phone app is a direct copy of it. 

My current TV. Ive had it over 6+ years. Its the second ever LCD TV I ever bought for my self. The first one has the bulbs discolor about 3 or so years in. This one has worked flawless. Its only 720p and 32". Im surprised the bulbs haven't died in it or anything. The only thing that doesnt work on it is the remote died. But after that many years thats to be expected. I just control it with my Amazon remote. So all I have to say is Samsung does make good TV's, at least back then. Considering the first one I had, had its issues and my mom's Vizio ended up having power supply issues. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I think I've got one now: This stupid 1TB WD laptop drive. It's been continually shitting sectors and just kinda keeps going. Hell, last night I transferred ~650GB of games to and from it since I didn't want to wait for my actual game drive to defrag, and that alone got it from a little over 18,000 bad sectors to right around 25,000. Last night before turning shit off it was around 26,700. I just looked and holy shit is it still rollin'. 10,000 bad sectors in 2 hours.

image.png.d078f05d1816ab1c48d4195f700c272d.png

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, flibberdipper said:

I think I've got one now: This stupid 1TB WD laptop drive. It's been continually shitting sectors and just kinda keeps going. Hell, last night I transferred ~650GB of games to and from it since I didn't want to wait for my actual game drive to defrag, and that alone got it from a little over 18,000 bad sectors to right around 25,000. Last night before turning shit off it was around 26,700. I just looked and holy shit is it still rollin'.

-snip-

It will make it to 69420 bad sectors, and then let out the magic smoke.

Anyway, me has found a new thing:
The floppy drive in my Ryzen PC.

I dropped it (twice), it occasionally tries to read a disk when there's nothing in it, but it runs perfectly fine.

Doesn't kill disks, doesn't get disks stuck, though I do stick a dead disk (not my fault) in when it's seeking nothing.

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

It will make it to 69420 bad sectors, and then let out the magic smoke.

At least I won't have to wait long. Just edited the post because I realized it's picked up those 10K bad sectors in literally about 2 hours.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I have this old Eee PC from 2011 that never died even with it's menial Atom CPU, 2 gb of ram, and a pretty serious drop. Yes, if you move it, it can shut off, and some keys do not work at all. But it still works, running Arch Linux with LXDE, and even then, I can access it from SSH 😃

I edit my posts quite often, please refresh your browser if you can.

Specs :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 4600G
RAM : 16GB 3200MHZ CL16 RAM

GPU : ASRock Challenger RX 6600
Display : Acer KA242Y
Mainboard : GIGABYTE B450M DS3H WIFI
Storage : 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
                240GB ADATA SU650NS38

I've got an old TRS-80 Model 16 that still runs, surprising TRS-DOS on that thing was Y2K compliant. Still have some old Scripsit and Multiplan documents on the 8" disks, should probably figure out a way to move them to something else... 

Our family owned Nintendo N64 and all of the games and accessories, has already survived 2 moves and a couple of drops inside the box with its 50 + games. Hope it'll never die of course since it's worth a lot to us. Am planning on setting it up in my room on my TV once I get a S-Video to HDMI adapter. 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

1 hour ago, soldier_ph said:

Our family owned Nintendo N64 and all of the games and accessories, has already survived 2 moves and a couple of drops inside the box with its 50 + games. Hope it'll never die of course since it's worth a lot to us. Am planning on setting it up in my room on my TV once I get a S-Video to HDMI adapter. 

I've had to replace the power supply for my N64, and some of the controller sticks are definitely past their best. The rest of it is still going strong though. My SNES has survived with only one dead joypad, and it's contacts needing a good clean.

My NES works too, but it resisted resurrection hard, so I'm not sure if it qualifies for this thread. 

21 hours ago, willies leg said:

I've got an old TRS-80 Model 16 that still runs, surprising TRS-DOS on that thing was Y2K compliant. Still have some old Scripsit and Multiplan documents on the 8" disks, should probably figure out a way to move them to something else... 

When did Radio Shack released that model? It uses the 68000 CPU correct? You can use the Serial Port on that computer and on another to transfer files if needed.

The main will be is that there may not be a way to read the Filesystem nor the File Types themselves.

3 hours ago, whm1974 said:

When did Radio Shack released that model? It uses the 68000 CPU correct? You can use the Serial Port on that computer and on another to transfer files if needed.

The main will be is that there may not be a way to read the Filesystem nor the File Types themselves.

Got it back in 1982, yeah, it's got a Z80 and a 68k cpu. Uses the Z80 to boot, then it's either a Model 2 in Z80 mode, can run Model 2 trs-dos or cp/m. Or you can boot it into trs-dos 16 or xenix, which utilizes the 69k chip, and the z80 for I/O. It's an amazing machine, way over-engineered, and built like a tank, really heavy.

Such a fun machine, learned Z80 assembler, 68K assembler, COBOL, Pascal, and of course Basic on the thing.

Yeah, I guess I could transfer it over the serial port, I've got a serial to usb adapter. Maybe I'll just copy stuff over and get a TRS-80 emulator...

1 hour ago, willies leg said:

Got it back in 1982, yeah, it's got a Z80 and a 68k cpu. Uses the Z80 to boot, then it's either a Model 2 in Z80 mode, can run Model 2 trs-dos or cp/m. Or you can boot it into trs-dos 16 or xenix, which utilizes the 69k chip, and the z80 for I/O. It's an amazing machine, way over-engineered, and built like a tank, really heavy.

Such a fun machine, learned Z80 assembler, 68K assembler, COBOL, Pascal, and of course Basic on the thing.

Yeah, I guess I could transfer it over the serial port, I've got a serial to usb adapter. Maybe I'll just copy stuff over and get a TRS-80 emulator...

How many of those did Radio Shack sold anyway? The Motorola 68000 wasn't a low cost CPU at the time. So I don't expect all that many Model 16 system in comparison the standard TRS-80.