Intel's marketing team at it again "SUPERIOR GAMING PERFORMANCE AT A LOWER PRICE"

schwellmo92

Story:

_rogame a respected hardware leaker has just shared some slides from Intel comparing gaming performance of their 10th generation 10750H mobile processors in an MSI GL65 laptop versus the AMD Zen 2 R9 4900HS mobile processors in the Zephyrus G14. The Intel processor inside the MSI GL65 has the luxury of a larger and thicker chassis, and the GPU it is paired with is an RTX 2060 Refresh 90W. The AMD processor inside the Zephyrus G14 is operating in a smaller and thinner chassis, and the GPU it is paired with is an RTX 2060 MAX-Q 65W. Intel are considering this a win for their processor and claiming that they offer superior performance for a lower cost.

My thoughts:

Both Intel and AMD are guilty of of maniuplating test cases to show their products in the best light, but it is rare we get comparisons as ridiculous as this. The laptop is the one of the least penetrated segments for AMD, it makes me wonder if these comparisons are intentionally malicous or the people putting them together are just stupid. Anyone with half a brain knows the gaming performance difference is due to the much higher power limit on the GPU in the MSI laptop. The cost argument is also weak considering they are comparing a budget value orienteted laptop to a premium laptop.

Source: 

Edit: my source https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-faces-criticism-for-comparing-gaming-laptops-with-different-gpu-models

Umm okay, thanks intel.

had a conversation with an i.t guy from intel today and how most of the people he’s worked with in marketing are clowns.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Honestly dont see the problem here. They have better performance with a cheaper laptop. Now I don't know if theres an amd version of the msi but if there is I'd be curious to see the performance difference 

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

2 minutes ago, themaniac said:

Honestly dont see the problem here. They have better performance with a cheaper laptop. Now I don't know if theres an amd version of the msi but if there is I'd be curious to see the performance difference 

The issue is misleading marketing. The reason the GL65 would perform better is not the CPU at all - it's the 25% thicker chassis and 40% higher GPU power envelope.

@schwellmo92the comparison is malicious btw - there are Ryzen-based 2060 Max-P laptops (Lenovo Legion models, Asus TuF models) - Intel have carefully selected the model which is tuned for high battery life (10 hours) and efficiency and pitted it against a budget MSI model that barely lasts 4 hours on a charge and uses an aggressive power profile and much louder fans.

8 minutes ago, themaniac said:

the problem is comparing a big thick 15.6" laptop with a regular 2060 to a compact 14" laptop with a 2060 max Q (downclocked basically)

And then getting the conclusion out of it that its the NEW 10TH GEN INTEL OFFERING SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE while its 100% the GPU and the bigger laptop giving the performance and not the CPU at all.

If their comparison was just the laptops and thats its it would all be fine, its the bottom line that its the CPU thats giving them the better performance which is a total lie.

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Intel doing Intel things

Kinda sad, reminds me of old FX marketing. Hope they can bring out something that can compete, competition is better for everyone. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Kinda sad, reminds me of old FX marketing. Hope they can bring out something that can compete, competition is better for everyone. 

I feel like this has been the conclusion to a lot of threads in the past year and a half. In that time, we've had two whole "generations" of Intel refreshes.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

FX was great don’t insult my fake core high clock masterpiece!

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

They know we know they know we know they are lying, but they are still lying

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

i feel like the problem isn't us tech nerds they're lying to, because ofc we know they're manipulating things in their favour.

but the normal consumer that doesn't know much about pc's and then goes to buy a laptop to his/her son/daughter might see things like that and come to the conclution that intel is best.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

They know we know they know we know they are lying, but they are still lying

They know we know they know we know they know we know they know we know they are full of bs

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I’ve already moved on from x86 🗿

AMD and Intel should start investing in ARM chips too. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

People keep saying AMD has poor laptop penetration, but I disagree. After release of Ryzen, it's actually really stupid not to go with AMD. I still have some doubts about those 2c/4c Ryzens, but I have the 4c/8t Ryzen 2500U and it's one hell of a performer. In fact it's so good I recommended AMD path to all my relatives who were looking for laptops. They've mostly gone with Ryzen 7 2700U and one even with Ryzen 7 3700U coz it'll be used for image editing (I think it was some HP's X360).

In fact Intel's model lineup is so bizarre I don't even know what I'd recommend to anyone, especially just looking at model numbers which are just straight up weird. The user of that X360 required some more horsepower and every Intel that came across as an option I had to look at Intel's ARK page to even know what kind of core configuration and clocks it has. Where AMD's simple range of models make it almost entirely obvious without looking at specs.

Knew both Intel and AMD retail marketing managers, they honestly couldn't care less about having competition. Their jobs were to find the numbers for the most common denominator, your high school drop out level, and put up advertising that would essentially be "correct" but not true.

My team didn't know the difference between a GHz and a Core, so they ate it up and just parroted the incorrect info.

Intel and AMD marketing both couldn't care less about being accurate, their only goal is to win over the one sucker who didn't do his homework, while the store loses 2 customers because we essentially lied to them.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but did Intel just do a benchmark? I thought they didn't believe in those anymore.

You forgot the condition, only if they can't be manipulated to favour Intel (not that AMD & Nvidia don't also do this).

Anyway on that Slide is a URL which is supposed to contain the full specs and testing methodology except this test doesn't seem to exist. In the intro it says if the test you're looking for isn't listed see the slide for details on how to access the information and the slide just links back to the same URL.

Maybe its because these were internal slides not intended for the public but I find it funny they chose not to add this test to the database.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but did Intel just do a benchmark? I thought they didn't believe in those anymore.

Measuring in-game performance and logging FPS calculating an average definitely isn't a benchmark. Like, you wouldn't "benchmark" a workstation by measuring the time in a Blender render, you're just counting time passing after all.

Courtesy of Intel Marketing

17 minutes ago, leadeater said:

They also used "AMD's Narrative" in a slide. They found a new buzzword

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

They also used "AMD's Narrative" in a slide. They found a new buzzword

This is CNN vs Fox level madness

2 hours ago, 5x5 said:

The issue is misleading marketing. The reason the GL65 would perform better is not the CPU at all - it's the 25% thicker chassis and 40% higher GPU power envelope.

If you look at it another way, the cheapness of the Intel processor means they can afford a bigger screen with a better graphics card. 

17 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

If you look at it another way, the cheapness of the Intel processor means they can afford a bigger screen with a better graphics card. 

It's not Intel CPUs being cheap, but not trying to thin out the laptop as much as possible that makes things cheap, allowing the other stuff to get better.

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

-snip-

eh Intel laptops are still good for tech dummies that can't use Macbooks for some reason or another. They wont blame me for recommending Intel from the start.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

31 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Thr price delta comes from the shit screen, power quality PCB, smaller battery, worse speakers, crap mic array and cheaper SSD. Not to mention the super budget plastic chassis of the GL65 which warps like cardboard. The i7 in that laptop actually costs more than the 4900HS