COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
41 minutes ago, Sarra said:

I really miss the super light traffic that we had during the first few weeks...

Now traffic is even worse than before. On top of that, there's no firearms available for purchase (I was going to get a rifle for target shooting/plinking, but the model I want is on backorder), everyone is in a crap mood, traffic wrecks and traffic wreck injuries are way up (at least here), and my hours got reduced at work (but we are getting Hazard Pay, but it doesn't quite make up for it).

I'm only working 4 days a week, and my entire year's worth of vacation time has been spent already on 'day off' days, plus I'm out of sick time (due to actually being sick, go figure), but at least I have a cool mask...

Several people that I've known for a few years now at work have passed away due to this, but I'm not really putting much in that, since we have a few people pass away every few months anyways.

Firearm-related anything is basically gone right now, so much uncertainty and people are buying it all up. On the one hand I wish I were still managing an FFL, basically guaranteed sales, but on the other my exposure risk would be way up. I'm OK with my current job with one other person in the office, and my "quarantine circle" only being three other people.

It'll come back a little at a time, but selection is going to be slim for a while.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

Firearm-related anything is basically gone right now, so much uncertainty and people are buying it all up. On the one hand I wish I were still managing an FFL, basically guaranteed sales, but on the other my exposure risk would be way up. 

It'll come back a little at a time, but selection is going to be slim for a while.

I figured. It's just a hobby I've wanted to get in on for a long time now, and I have a bit of money, and nothing important to spend it on yet. Maybe I'll build a new PC first?

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

Firearm-related anything is basically gone right now, so much uncertainty and people are buying it all up. On the one hand I wish I were still managing an FFL, basically guaranteed sales, but on the other my exposure risk would be way up. I'm OK with my "quarantine circle" being three other people.

Firearms usually sell a lot during election years. It's amazing how worried people can get. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Firearms usually sell a lot during election years. It's amazing how worried people can get. 

lol That's a good point.

I'm going to be moving to another state, and living with a Vet, and he's got a small collection. When I visited, we went out to the range, and I got to put a few .300 Win Mag rounds into some paper, and it rekindled the urge to get something for myself. Something cheaper than .300 Win Mag. Which is the second most expensive round I've fired, I think the .303 British was about double the cost per round? It's been a while.

I was up in the mountains a few weeks ago, and at a really popular spot where people shoot, I actually saw something I wasn't expecting: Some guys were out with compound and recurve bows, shooting a polystyrene target. Looks like they were pretty good, too, judging by the number of arrows in the target. :D

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I'm just glad you can buy toilet paper and cleaning supplies fairly easily now, I'll take firearm/ammunition scarcity any day over that mess.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

lol That's a good point.

I'm going to be moving to another state, and living with a Vet, and he's got a small collection. When I visited, we went out to the range, and I got to put a few .300 Win Mag rounds into some paper, and it rekindled the urge to get something for myself. Something cheaper than .300 Win Mag. Which is the second most expensive round I've fired, I think the .303 British was about double the cost per round? It's been a while.

I was up in the mountains a few weeks ago, and at a really popular spot where people shoot, I actually saw something I wasn't expecting: Some guys were out with compound and recurve bows, shooting a polystyrene target. Looks like they were pretty good, too, judging by the number of arrows in the target. :D

Bows are great for hunting if you have the stand for them and you can judge distance really well. It's all scrub-land where I hunt so bows are basically useless. I was lucky to bag a large buck late last year during rifle season, it kept some protein on the table at the beginning of this pandemic.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

2 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Bows are great for hunting if you have the stand for them and you can judge distance really well. It's all scrub-land where I hunt so bows are basically useless. I was lucky to bag a large buck late last year during rifle season, it kept some protein on the table at the beginning of this pandemic.

Only hunting I would be interested in would be invasive species, like for a bounty, or just to clean up the wilderness. I've got a cousin who bagged a buck in Canada using a bow. I think he mostly uses rifles now.

Not even two weeks into the semester and we got an off campus covid outbreak. Nonstop text notifications about it. Smh.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

My guess is that when the coronavirus vaccines passed phase 3 and began phase 4 (aka post marketing surveillance), it will become an annual shot just like the flu shot because of the fact that the virus mutates. I just hope “disease enhancement” is addressed by the vaccine manufacturers. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

12 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

and when a vaccine comes out, to take it. 

No because its a microchip that will track you. At least thats what a lot of people believe. Also the Vaccine is rushed. Ill be waiting 6 months to a year before Id consider it, wait to see how many die due to complications of the rush job. Once they have it worked out well, though Im the part of the population that believes in science. So Ill get it eventually, as long as it doesn't cost and arm and leg. 

4 hours ago, like_ooh_ahh said:

of the fact that the virus mutates. I just hope “disease enhancement” is addressed by the vaccine manufacturers. 

They will just handle it like they do the current flu vaccine. They will just try to predict which strains are going to be an issue and make a vaccine for those. You just have to hope they get it right. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

No because its a microchip that will track you. At least thats what a lot of people believe.

That conspiracy is hilariously sad IMO, shows how little people actually know about science and tech.

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Also the Vaccine is rushed. Ill be waiting 6 months to a year before Id consider it, wait to see how many die due to complications of the rush job. Once they have it worked out well, though Im the part of the population that believes in science. So Ill get it eventually, as long as it doesn't cost and arm and leg. 

They will just handle it like they do the current flu vaccine. They will just try to predict which strains are going to be an issue and make a vaccine for those. You just have to hope they get it right. 

Yup, there's apparently 8 vaccines currently in phase 3, but I'll wait to see the efficiency results. I doubt people are going to die directly because of the vaccines, but they might get a sense of false security and get infected (again, efficiency of the vaccine, even the best flu shot isn't anywhere close to 100% efficient), that's what I'm interested about (being infected after being vaccinated, what are the issues, if any, of that situation? And also what's the efficacy %? 70%? 60%?? lower? ... though IMO, anything that help is good, just have to wait and see).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I’m taking the vaccine ASAP. It’s already been tested for months on thousands of people per fda standards

5 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

I doubt people are going to die directly because of the vaccines,

Back in my dads younger days he recalls a vaccine killing quite a few, I think it was for H1N1. A vaccine is like any drug in my opinion. Until they understand side effects and allergies I won’t be too keen on getting it. Just like the flu shot, if your allergic to eggs I think, you could have an reaction. 

5 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

That conspiracy is hilariously sad IMO, shows how little people actually know about science and tech.

Yup, there's apparently 8 vaccines currently in phase 3, but I'll wait to see the efficiency results. I doubt people are going to die directly because of the vaccines, but they might get a sense of false security and get infected (again, efficiency of the vaccine, even the best flu shot isn't anywhere close to 100% efficient), that's what I'm interested about (being infected after being vaccinated, what are the issues, if any, of that situation? And also what's the efficacy %? 70%? 60%?? lower? ... though IMO, anything that help is good, just have to wait and see).

I think reading up on how a medicines are manufactured might be beneficial. (Not just directed in reply but as a general statement) A Phase 1 trial assesses safety and dosage, a Phase 2 trial will assess efficacy and safety, and Phase 3 is the same, but with a larger cohort (100s / 1000s vs 10 to 100). 

It is important to remember:

- Phase 3 trials have been skipped before and can be during an epidemic.

- Covid vaccines have been in clinics trial phases development since March/Feb. 

- They are almost always safe. It’s a recombinant S protein that is used, so they active replicating part of the virus has been rendered benign. 

So don’t listen to the media and think the vaccine isn’t safe or you’ll get terrible sick.  Worst thing you can get is a little man flu, which means the vaccine is working.

Now regards vaccine effectiveness, we only need around 60-70%. Vaccines that don’t cause immunity due to population heterogeneity will still halt transmission due to mucosal immunity. So even if you get Covid, you can’t pass it on. 

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Back in my dads younger days he recalls a vaccine killing quite a few, I think it was for H1N1. A vaccine is like any drug in my opinion. Until they understand side effects and allergies I won’t be too keen on getting it. Just like the flu shot, if your allergic to eggs I think, you could have an reaction. 

Even something as routine as Aspirin thins blood, Benadryl (diphenhydramine) has been found to potentially elevate dementia risk in long-term users, and Tylenol (acetamenophin) can cause liver failure if overused. Those are over-the-counter meds, but if taken in advised doses they are considered safe. Vaccinations can have side-effects as well, but when measured against the possibility of a viral outbreak, the vaccination is a much better alternative.

I had to get a rabies series, it possibly saved my life if I was truly exposed in the attack; I'd rather be sitting here writing this post, instead of being expired because of a worry that the vaccination could have a side-effect (none to report in almost a decade since). These ones for covid will be tested to a high level of safety, and it will almost assuredly save lives. I will get one as soon as I'm allowed, even if realistically it just limits me from being able to pass it on to someone else. This is why vaccines are important, because if a significant portion of the populace cannot pass a virus to someone else, effectively there is protection. If your family cannot give it to you, and you cannot give it to your family, it stops in once cycle.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

2 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

Even something as routine as Aspirin thins blood, Benadryl (diphenhydramine) has been found to potentially elevate dementia risk in long-term users, and Tylenol (acetamenophin) can cause liver failure if overused. Those are over-the-counter meds, but if taken in advised doses they are considered safe. Vaccinations can have side-effects as well, but when measured against the possibility of a viral outbreak, the vaccination is a much better alternative.

Exactly. It's exceptionally rare for vaccines to have any kind of side effect complication, typically in the order of 0.001% of cases or lower, and even rarer still for these to be fatal.  In even the worst case scenarios you're literally thousands of times more likely to be killed by the pathogen they're vaccinating against than the vaccine itself.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

20 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

Exactly. It's exceptionally rare for vaccines to have any kind of side effect complication, typically in the order of 0.001% of cases or lower, and even rarer still for these to be fatal.  In even the worst case scenarios you're literally thousands of times more likely to be killed by the pathogen they're vaccinating against than the vaccine itself.

“...but...but... the autism it causes due to thimerosal and foreign proteins. Look how much pain children is being put to because of injections...” :D

8 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

instead of being expired because of a worry that the vaccination could have a side-effect (none to report in almost a decade since)

The point I was making. This is rushed. The vaccines your talking about have been around for decades. Thats the difference. When they have been around for decades, you know what is up. 

If I recalled correctly the Flu Vaccine has eggs or something deal with eggs in it. Because I did recall a warning when signing the consent form to get it. Thats the thing, you have to be careful. Im the type of person who gets vaccinated, but Im also the cautious type. My dads Doctor even recommended waiting 3 to 6 months after the vaccines release to make sure alls good.

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

The point I was making. This is rushed. The vaccines your talking about have been around for decades. Thats the difference. When they have been around for decades, you know what is up. 

If I recalled correctly the Flu Vaccine has eggs or something deal with eggs in it. Because I did recall a warning when signing the consent form to get it. Thats the thing, you have to be careful. Im the type of person who gets vaccinated, but Im also the cautious type. My dads Doctor even recommended waiting 3 to 6 months after the vaccines release to make sure alls good.

Anyone with known allergic reactions (such as to eggs) should make sure they’re not taking a vaccine with eggs in it. 

There are often alternatives you can take instead that won’t cause you a reaction. 

But that aside, egg allergies are not common. And allergic reactions to ingredients are the most common severe side effect of vaccines. So if you’re not allergic to anything, your risk of a severe reaction is almost non-existent. 

If you’re paranoid about America pushing a vaccine - then just wait until it’s approved elsewhere, such as Canada or the EU. 

I will certainly look at the science and trials of any approved vaccine to check figures, and once I can see that the trials were safe, I’ll 100% get the vaccine as soon as possible. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I have a job that exposes me to sick people quite frequently. Three years ago, I decided to get a flu shot. About 2 weeks after getting it, I got the flu. It was horrible. The worst flu I've had in over 20 years. Then, two years ago, I got a flu shot again. I got the flu again, and it was just as bad as the year before.

I didn't take the flu shot last year, and I got the flu, but it was super mild and I was over it in 3 days, as opposed to 2-3 weeks for the two years previous.

This is the main reason I'm not going to get the COVID 'vaccine'. I suspect that a vaccine will have two effects: Some people will get it, and wrongfully assume that they can no longer transmit the virus, expect everything to go back to normal, and then start spreading it like crazy to everyone that hasn't, or is unable to get, the vaccine; everyone will get complacent (well, really, in the US at least, everyone is already complacent), and it will spread like crazy.

The vaccine isn't a magic bullet, but at this rate, it'll simply (in the US) be a means for rich people to go back to not caring about anything but themselves.

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

About 2 weeks after getting it, I got the flu.

Keep in mind the Flu is not one virus. There are many strains, they "Try" to predict the strains that will be the issue in a given year. Some times they get it wrong. But the same thing applies kinda to Covid as I know they have found that its mutating. Which could make things more complicated. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Keep in mind the Flu is not one virus. There are many strains, they "Try" to predict the strains that will be the issue in a given year. Some times they get it wrong. But the same thing applies kinda to Covid as I know they have found that its mutating. Which could make things more complicated. 

Yeah, the documentation I found for the two years that I took the shot stated that 'the vaccine this year is expected to be effective against the seasonal virus this year', and I was fairly unique at my workplace as I was the only one that got sick.

I also recently had a blood lab that revealed that I have a rather low IgA level (Immunoglobulin A), and this could, theoretically, mean that a general virus vaccine wouldn't have the desired effect upon me in the first place, but I need to talk to my doctor about this before I make any conclusions.

And yes, COVID is mutating. So is Ebola. Ebola mutated to be more virulent, while becoming less lethal. While, from what I've read, and I don't know if it's necessarily true, COVID has mutated to become more virulent, and more lethal.

"The 80s didn't come to Canada until 1993..." - HIMYM S02E09*

-not sure if it's actually true

Joined Northern Cali and got our own local wildfire.  Air quality is shit but the masks originally for the coronavirus help somewhat. 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X