LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

1 minute ago, Cas_DS said:

It's already been a couple of days that it didn't get a task. I tried your tip but it didn't help. Tnx for helping

Today I had to do this on my laptop too and after it said "No WU for this config" three times, it finally did find something.

So it can still take a couple minutes for it to find something.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Is there a way to automate the pause and restart if no WU ?

3 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

@leadeaterThe fact that you have both the Folding newbie and founder badges in hilarious to me.

Anyone who was at the first folding Month (Nov 2018) has that exact same layout including yours truly ;) 

You dont get a silver Event badge until after three events, which so far there have only been two (Folding Month Nov 2018 and Folding Month Oct 2019)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I wish there was a way to use CPU only when there are no GPU jobs, then automatically pause CPU when the GPU has a WU...

1 minute ago, steelo said:

I wish there was a way to use CPU only when there are no GPU jobs, then automatically pause CPU when the GPU has a WU...

But it does use CPU only when no GPU WUs are available.

2 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

But it does use CPU only when no GPU WUs are available.

From my limited understanding, if you utilize your CPU while the GPU is also folding, it actually hinders your GPU performance...however, it would be nice for the CPU to fold while the GPU is waiting on a task.

2 minutes ago, steelo said:

From my limited understanding, if you utilize your CPU while the GPU is also folding, it actually hinders your GPU performance...however, it would be nice for the CPU to fold while the GPU is waiting on a task.

You need to set some parameters so at least 1 CPU core is reserved  for feeding the GPU.

4 minutes ago, steelo said:

in all your GPU Slots add the option "core-priority" with value "low"
and in your cpu slot add the option "core-priority" with value "idle" 

That should do the trick according to the console help of the FAHClient and https://foldingathome.org/faqs/running-foldinghome/manually-adjust-priority-foldinghome-core/

Just now, ShortRouter said:

You need to set some parameters so at least 1 CPU coreis reserved  for feeding the GPU.

I think at least in my case, I need a few threads...I have a 6c/12t  CPU and reserved only 1 thread for a RX 5700 and my GPU maxed out at 80%

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I told the mod team death to those that gave me more badges, I hate them

But....... you have 500M points......

On 6/2/2019 at 12:55 PM, alpenwasser said:

plat.pngPlatinum Contributor - When you have contributed more than 500 Million points, you will qualify for this badge. You are now a legend! 

Come oooonnnnnnn, let me do it.... Please?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, steelo said:

I think at least in my case, I need a few threads...I have a 6c/12t  CPU and reserved only 1 thread for a RX 5700 and my GPU maxed out at 80%

You could try reserving more threads but it could also be overheat issue and your 5700 clocking itself down when both CPU and GPU is under full load. Just a shot in the dark really. Check the clock speed and temps with MSI afterburner.

6 minutes ago, steelo said:

That may just be the nature of the work unit that it cant put a 100% load on your GPU

also GPUs have so many working parts that putting a load figure on to them like we do with CPUs is difficult... and even then things like AVX cook your CPU like few other things (so even if it says your CPU is at 100% load and your thermals are fine, once AVX comes around you might get a rude awakening)

EOC out again? Just noticed 0 point updatres, even though system has folded at least 4 WU's today (IF I get one assigned.. seems to only work manuually now)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

5 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

EOC out again? Just noticed 0 point updatres, even though system has folded at least 4 WU's today (IF I get one assigned.. seems to only work manuually now)

Spoiler

image.png.ecd6bde35b85fb970146d5ca4a0ed470.png

Me too... I have  completed at least 4 GPU WU's plus a few CPU WU's today, but virtually no points given. Oh well, I assume they'll show up eventually 🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Just now, Daniel_SC said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.ecd6bde35b85fb970146d5ca4a0ed470.png

Me too... I have  completed at least 4 GPU WU's plus a few CPU WU's today, but virtually no points given. Oh well, I assume they'll show up eventually 🤷‍♂️

And here I thought I just didn't get workloads overnight.

3 minutes ago, Ayren said:

Sidenote: for some reason the official stats page has the more up-to-date score compared to extremeoverclocking.net...
wasnt it the other way around usually?

I see a significant differences between my logs and EOC points since yesterday. And now that you have mentionned this, I was curious and checked and it seems that there is a  5 WU differences in point (5x 100 000 ish points) and one WU on the total of WU between the EOC count and the F@H user stat page, in my case.

15 minutes ago, Ayren said:

Sidenote: for some reason the official stats page has the more up-to-date score compared to extremeoverclocking.net...
wasnt it the other way around usually?

EOC updates once every three hours. (It is currently 'processing', as of writing this post).

So yes, the past two weeks EOC has been more update to date than the stats.foldingathome.com-page.. But (because of the updates once every three hours thing) usually it's the other way around.

So perhaps the official stats page is catching up :o 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, Cabanaj said:

I see a significant differences between my logs and EOC points since yesterday. And now that you have mentionned this, I was curious and checked and it seems that there is a  5 WU differences in point (5x 100 000 ish points) and one WU on the total of WU between the EOC count and the F@H user stat page, in my case.

production_hour.png.ccf33d4102a43f05f8e25a097f26f954.png
yeah.... something is wrong here xD (just the last datapoint... the center canyon was very much me slacking off)