LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

10 hours ago, Shigeru said:

And for everybody amusement here is how a Intel Atom N455 compares in folding to a AMD E240... boths sucks, but the E240 sucks much more give the ETAs!!

Nope, your ETAs differ so much because one WU is much bigger. 

If you check PPD (112 vs 93) the difference isn't big.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Classified101 said:

yes I do have a passkey set up. As I mentioned, only sometimes I would get the base credit instead of the estimated credit.

This is the most recent one:

image.png.3a6b0f4331545327e32265bad88b409c.png

and this is the one before that:

image.png.6ffab6a0d4ff4950cb759b767ac75311.png

You see what I'm trying to see?

For the first 10 WUs you don't get any QRB (Quick Return Bonus). For everything after i do not even look into the console, since it just reports you back tha base points. The QRB Points usually arrive a few hours later, when the server had some time to actually evaluate your wu and it get's added to your overall amount. Sometimes if it takes longer, just wait for the night. Usually over night they are added for my completed WU's during the day. Right now you will not be able to ever actually see your current Point stats because u only see all WU Base Points + QRB from previous days + your current Base Points. The QRB from the current day are just fluctuating in over the day and coming after like 18 hours max finally to your account. (My experienxce)

So if you want to see your actual amount. Stop folding. Wait a day, then all bonusses should have been added. Do one wu again. Wait 24 hours, and then you'll see how much actual qrb you've gotten (impractical tho :D)

2 minutes ago, ReneBrain said:

For the first 10 WUs you don't get any QRB (Quick Return Bonus). For everything after i do not even look into the console, since it just reports you back tha base points. The QRB Points usually arrive a few hours later, when the server had some time to actually evaluate your wu and it get's added to your overall amount. Sometimes if it takes longer, just wait for the night. Usually over night they are added for my completed WU's during the day. Right now you will not be able to ever actually see your current Point stats because u only see all WU Base Points + QRB from previous days + your current Base Points. The QRB from the current day are just fluctuating in over the day and coming after like 18 hours max finally to your account. (My experienxce)

So if you want to see your actual amount. Stop folding. Wait a day, then all bonusses should have been added. Do one wu again. Wait 24 hours, and then you'll see how much actual qrb you've gotten (impractical tho :D)

okay. Now I get it. Thanks for the explanation!

Can't get any WU's for GPU last couple days. CPU is fine, but GPU nothing. Before it was fine, but now nothing. Sometimes it starts working but after few seconds, stops working and tries to find new WU.

*********************** Log Started 2020-03-31T08:15:02Z ***********************
08:15:21:FS01:Unpaused
08:15:21:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 65.254.110.245:8080
08:15:21:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '65.254.110.245:8080': No WUs available for this configuration
08:15:21:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 18.218.241.186:80
08:15:22:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '18.218.241.186:80': No WUs available for this configuration
08:15:22:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Could not get an assignment
08:15:23:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 65.254.110.245:8080
08:15:23:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '65.254.110.245:8080': No WUs available for this configuration
08:15:23:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 18.218.241.186:80
08:15:24:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '18.218.241.186:80': No WUs available for this configuration
08:15:24:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Could not get an assignment
08:16:23:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 65.254.110.245:8080
08:16:23:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '65.254.110.245:8080': No WUs available for this configuration
08:16:23:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 18.218.241.186:80
08:16:24:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '18.218.241.186:80': No WUs available for this configuration
08:16:24:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Could not get an assignment
08:18:00:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 65.254.110.245:8080
08:18:01:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '65.254.110.245:8080': No WUs available for this configuration
08:18:01:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 18.218.241.186:80
08:18:01:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '18.218.241.186:80': No WUs available for this configuration
08:18:01:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Could not get an assignment

2 minutes ago, WooZ_Lv said:

-snip-

When this happens, I find restarting my PC to do the trick. Do note that due to the surge in the number of users, the number of available WUs are much lesser, and the FAH team is doing everything they can to try to get more WUs up and assigned, so be patient!

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

5 minutes ago, Classified101 said:

But the finished work unit got successfully uploaded. So that does mean that the client is able to communicate with the server right?

I'm confused

upload server aren't server which gives you points alone, one server gives WU, another collects and points are counted from servers times not your client time. you can check it here https://apps.foldingathome.org/wu#project=11762&run=0&clone=6625&gen=19 , i think it will show that WU not found 

1 minute ago, Quackwich said:

When this happens, I find restarting my PC to do the trick. Do note that due to the surge in the number of users, the number of available WUs are much lesser, and the FAH team is doing everything they can to try to get more WUs up and assigned, so be patient!

I know about load on FAH servers. It just frustrating because it worked for two weeks fine at worst 1-2 WU's in day but now nothing last 4-5 days.

And restarting doesn't help. 

9 minutes ago, ReneBrain said:

for WU which has defaulted to base points takes way longer to appear in your stats ( i still have few of them from more than 3 days ago)

37 minutes ago, Ayren said:

Open the Advanced controls (you should have a shortcut in your start menu). Click configure and delete the CPU slot. it aint really worth the power needed to run it most of the time anyways

Have to agree, even at 8 cores (half), my CPU is still at 90c. The points toward the project were less than 5k opposed to the GPU getting almost ~100k.

My Stats

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master/ i9-9900K/ 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz/ Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti x2 (NVlink)/ 14TB Seagate Barracuda/ 64GB M10 Optane Memory (Modifies 14TB HDD)/ 2TB 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe/ Corsair 1200W HX Series™ Modular 80 Plus®/ Corsair H115i Pro Cooler/ Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2

10 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Have to agree, even at 8 cores (half), my CPU is still at 90c. The points toward the project were less than 5k opposed to the GPU getting almost 200k.

Sounds like something isnt right, especially at only half usage :o

Quick question: I am working from home atm, as many of us probably are. Because of that I am jumping on and off a VPN quite alot during the day. Could that have an potential impact on sending/receiving WU's?

Just now, Plexas said:

Sounds like something isnt right, especially at only half usage :o

Dunno but took the CPU off again... way too hot. The GPUs are doing fine on their own.

My Stats

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master/ i9-9900K/ 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz/ Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti x2 (NVlink)/ 14TB Seagate Barracuda/ 64GB M10 Optane Memory (Modifies 14TB HDD)/ 2TB 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe/ Corsair 1200W HX Series™ Modular 80 Plus®/ Corsair H115i Pro Cooler/ Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2

7 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Dunno but took the CPU off again... way too hot. The GPUs are doing fine on their own.

I think your either have thermal paste issues or just cooling problems in general. My AMD Ryzen 3700x maxs at 81c with 14 cores running. Given it isn't overclocked however the ambient temperature in the garage I am running my PCs isn't cool either

6 minutes ago, Daniel_SC said:

Quick question: I am working from home atm, as many of us probably are. Because of that I am jumping on and off a VPN quite alot during the day. Could that have an potential impact on sending/receiving WU's?

i am also working from home with a constant vpn connection to my office for about 6 hours straight. Yesterday i was in the office where i haven't used vpn at all. Receival of wus under vpn today is much better then yesterday actually, so i think it just doesn't matter (since it is highly fluctuating right now anyways because of the crazy amount of users). What i can say atleast it shouldn't be much of a hinderence. because even if you change the network. wehen the transmission fails or he doesn't find the server (at least for me) he just give another try to send his results and then it usually works

33 minutes ago, Classified101 said:

yes I do have a passkey set up. As I mentioned, only sometimes I would get the base credit instead of the estimated credit.

This is the most recent one:

image.png.3a6b0f4331545327e32265bad88b409c.png

and this is the one before that:

image.png.6ffab6a0d4ff4950cb759b767ac75311.png

You see what I'm trying to say?

Look for this error just before sending the work unit.

WARNING:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to send results to work server: Transfer failed
WU00:FS00:Trying to send results to collection server

This is a problem when the work unit cannot upload to the Work Server so it gets sent to the backup Collection Server instead. If it goes to the collection server it can't calculate the time it took for you to complete the work unit so it can't calculate a QRB. The estimation only shows the base credit.

You won't receive credit for the points until the work unit is sent from the collection server to the work server, which at the moment isn't happening. So for now if it gets sent to a collection server it'll just show the base credit and you won't receive any points. Few days/weeks/months from now when they copy all the completed work units from the collection server to the work server you'll receive credit for it including with the quick return bonus.

They're aware of the issues and apparently trying to roll out an update that will fix it so it gives credit straight away. It does look like the servers upgraded to 9.6.1 are crediting properly, at least in my experience.

I tracked this down. Sadly WUs returned to a Collection Server (CS) are not getting credited immediately. This is likely been going on for a long time. Normally, WUs would get forwarded to the WS fairly quickly and get credited quickly. Since we are under such huge loads the CS have backlogged and many accepted WUs are sitting there uncredited. All these WUs will get credited eventually. Bonuses are calculated from the time the WU was returned to the CS so bonuses should not be affected. I'm pushing a software update which will cause the CS to credit WUs immediately in the future. Thanks for providing all the info to diagnose this.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33072&start=15#p319257

28 minutes ago, ReneBrain said:

The estimated points shown in the log are supposed to include the QRB and will do so when it is uploaded correctly to the work server, which is why the other work unit in his logs show 104,576 points.

The rest of what you said is just wrong.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, ItchyItch said:

I think your either have thermal paste issues or just cooling problems in general. My AMD Ryzen 3700x maxs at 81c with 14 cores running. Given it isn't overclocked however the ambient temperature in the garage I am running my PCs isn't cool either

9900k runs at 95w TDP... seems silly it runs so hot.

My Stats

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Look for this error just before sending the work unit.

WARNING:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to send results to work server: Transfer failed
WU00:FS00:Trying to send results to collection server

This is a problem when the work unit cannot upload to the Work Server so it gets sent to the backup Collection Server instead. If it goes to the collection server it can't calculate the time it took for you to complete the work unit so it can't calculate a QRB. The estimation only shows the base credit.

You won't receive credit for the points until the work unit is sent from the collection server to the work server, which at the moment isn't happening. So for now if it gets sent to a collection server it'll just show the base credit and you won't receive any points. Few days/weeks/months from now when they copy all the completed work units from the collection server to the work server you'll receive credit for it including with the quick return bonus.

They're aware of the issues and apparently trying to roll out an update that will fix it so it gives credit straight away. It does look like the servers upgraded to 9.6.1 are crediting properly, at least in my experience.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33072&start=15#p319257

The estimated points shown in the log are supposed to include the QRB and will do so when it is uploaded correctly to the work server, which is why the other work unit in his logs show 104,576 points.

The rest of what you said is just wrong.

I just stated my experience. Mileage may vary.I am not into this thing, and i just always see only base credit so i can only tell you what i experienced ( he only shows me really low numbers on the estimate, like 1k to 12k, which isn't even close to the 50k to 200k points i am getting per wu). I am just folding and try out to help out man.Don't be so harsh xD

5 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Ah OK, I know there is a big thing about how TDP is measured between the Red/Blue team, however the AMD only runs at 65W.

Just now, ReneBrain said:

i am also working from home with a constant vpn connection to my office for about 6 hours straight. Yesterday i was in the office where i haven't used vpn at all. Receival of wus under vpn today is much better then yesterday actually, so i think it just doesn't matter (since it is highly fluctuating right now anyways because of the crazy amount of users). What i can say atleast it shouldn't be much of a hinderence. because even if you change the network. wehen the transmission fails or he doesn't find the server (at least for me) he just give another try to send his results and then it usually works

Sounds reasonable. I just got a little paranoid I guess :) I just thought that maybe the change in IP-adress might confuse the assign- and collectionserver, screwing up QRB or something like that. But I guess QRB is tied to the passkey, so IP-adress change don't matter.

6 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Check for dust and other air flow restrictions. this is reaching cpu-fan-broke levels of temperature. 95W is barely anything for a decent cooler.. if its even 95W and not more via OC settings. Maybe try lowering voltages? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In other news:
image.png.7299f2f7d4bfa3b736c365e2e642518c.png
+ an additional 1.5-1.7m ppd back at home :3

lets just hope i can keep em fed

41 minutes ago, WooZ_Lv said:

I know about load on FAH servers. It just frustrating because it worked for two weeks fine at worst 1-2 WU's in day but now nothing last 4-5 days.

And restarting doesn't help. 

If it's "stuck" and there are no new entries in the log for hours at a time, try reinstalling the FAH client.

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

11 minutes ago, ItchyItch said:

My 3700x at 100% usage sits at 65C, but i have a H115i so i dont think its fair to compare.

my rig has been idling for the past days now it's finally downloading a new assignment....

btw when will amazon overtake us?

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

5 minutes ago, Plexas said:

My 3700x at 100% usage sits at 65C, but i have a H115i so i dont think its fair to compare.

Yeah I am only running the stock cooler, and the highest ambient temperature in Brisbane, Australia today was 30c. I am running a big shop fan to try and move some air in my garage today :)

6 minutes ago, zassou said:

my rig has been idling for the past days now it's finally downloading a new assignment....

btw when will amazon overtake us?

160054839_.png.e95e3a8c403dec7a08a18683b2c6db73.png

oh myyyy it's a gpu work unit!

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!