LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

So I just setup everything after watching the video, but I guess it's gonna take a while to get a WU. Is it worth it to fold on a laptop with a i7-8550U? Will I actually be able to finish any work units?

8 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

So I just setup everything after watching the video, but I guess it's gonna take a while to get a WU. Is it worth it to fold on a laptop with a i7-8550U? Will I actually be able to finish any work units?

Yes. I'm even folding on an old Intel Atom.... A WU takes 24 hours on it :P.

Apart from that I got an iMac Pro (Xeon 8 core), a Ryzen 5 3600X, an AMD RX580 and an i7 8700 chewing on the WU's...

14 hours ago, Spotty said:

Make sure you've entered the passkey in to the client. Change Identity (or Configure > Identity in advanced control).

It looks like I have, Ive been using the same pass key for at least a year as I did a little on it last year when I first realised you could get one.

Ive just hit 20 WU now so I wonder if that made the difference as my PPD seem sensible now and all number look way different to yesterday.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

So I have set my rig to medium folding setting and been leaving it all day and night. Except that I took it outside yesterday to give it a bit of a dust, at least one of you will be pleased... I may post pre-clean pictures to trigger some of you 😜

Do any of you game when running medium or low? I have been playing some less graphically intensive games like battle brothers which I am pretty addicted to. Will that be having a big detrimental effect on the output? 

However as I decided against letting my laptop fold anymore I may just game on that instead. The laptop was getting extremely toasty to touch although the GPU itself was only getting up to 72 degrees max.  

I played modded Skyrim while on Low yesterday using the PC in my sig, didn’t notice any issues. But I didn’t get to game for long.

Maybe set to on idle and full power if you want to game at the same time?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Is there a known fix for this delivery error? Does it have to do with antivirus software (I have Kaspersky)?image.thumb.png.0659d7b0fba1c40d569ad5fb3c985425.png

6 minutes ago, engrdan said:

Is there a known fix for this delivery error? Does it have to do with antivirus software (I have Kaspersky)?

That error is because the Viewer in the windows version does not work. If you close the viewer that is running on a demo loop the error message will stop.

55 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The Viewer doesn't work in the windows version, it will always be stuck on the demo loop. May as well close it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

37 minutes ago, SirPhantom said:

Do any of you game when running medium or low? I have been playing some less graphically intensive games like battle brothers which I am pretty addicted to. Will that be having a big detrimental effect on the output?

Yeah I've been playing a fair bit of Doom Eternal (Great game BTW!), while folding on Medium. I do see a bit of hit to performance, but nothing a bit of settings tweaking can't deal with. You should note that if you fold on Low, you'll disable GPU folding entirely. Thats why I set it to Medium while gaming.

1 hour ago, Tarun10 said:

just dont kill it, many modern slim laptops have good specs and absolutely inadequate cooling.

first time event folder here

do i need to change anything ? will there be corona in the dropdown menu we need to click on ?

also am i the only one struggling to get WS assignments atm ??

2 minutes ago, Casparj said:

first time event folder here

do i need to change anything ? will there be corona in the dropdown menu we need to click on ?

also am i the only one struggling to get WS assignments atm ??

If the drop-down menu is set on any disease. You will get covit-19 WUs. (But recently also WUs for other projects)

And because so many more people are folding, there are not that meany WUs available atm. So be patience.

2 minutes ago, 42thgamer said:

If the drop-down menu is set on any disease. You will get covit-19 WUs. (But recently also WUs for other projects)

And because so many more people are folding, there are not that meany WUs available atm. So be patience.

but i want to fold :(

Just now, Casparj said:

but i want to fold :(

Not really much you can do about that. Maybe download BIONC. The Rosetta@Home project also works on covit-19 (only cpu-WUs) and other project do other awesome things in biology, medicine, climate prediction,... so your GPU can help too! Make sure to join the LTT group there too!

1 hour ago, Daniel_SC said:

Damn you @Valentyn! You overtook me 😆

Correction: You're set to overtake me in the next 3hr update!

If only I can keep getting WU's. I often sit idle for most of the day. Fingers crossed it keeps up!

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

If only I can keep getting WU's. I often sit idle for most of the day. Fingers crossed it keeps up!

Yeah same here. Using BOINC in the meanwhile.

Got a question, this morning it was folding for like 3 hours and LMG got them points, however not the GPU has status ready but I can't let it run again. Am I doing something wrong, I forget something?
image.thumb.png.b965bb8bc54f5e365e10201499890aa8.png

After watching the video on YouTube on covid 19 machine linus put together I decided to help using my main rig and streaming pc. Both on team Linus.

Lets beat this thing.

IMG_20200325_202505.jpg

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

5 minutes ago, Gekido said:

Got a question, this morning it was folding for like 3 hours and LMG got them points, however not the GPU has status ready but I can't let it run again. Am I doing something wrong, I forget something?

As has been said before. Because there are so many (new) folders helping out. The F@H servers can't keep up or there are just not enough WU available. So be patience.

If you want to do something in the meanwhile. Check out BOINC they have projects like Rosetta@Home that also work on the covit-19 virus. Or many other science projects!

3 hours ago, 42thgamer said:

As has been said before. Because there are so many (new) folders helping out. The F@H servers can't keep up or there are just not enough WU available. So be patience.

If you want to do something in the meanwhile. Check out BOINC they have projects like Rosetta@Home that also work on the covit-19 virus. Or many other science projects!

thanks bro, good explanation and i just wanted to double check this FAH newb didn't forget something.... Patience is a virtue

Lost a load of my points somehow, although not too bothered as were not really doing it for the points anyway.

But what I am wondering about is my latest wu. It says it's a high priority CPU project, but running on my gpu whats that all about?Untitled.jpg.29eb55a779426c2532028738d8296b3d.jpg

These are my stats now. I see it's only utilizing my cpu. How can I do both cpu and gpu?

fahcontrol.png

webcontrol.png

Just now, ultra99 said:

These are my stats now. I see it's only utilizing my cpu. How can I do both cpu and gpu?

You need to add the GPU into a slot. 

From the advance control -> Configure -> Slots -> Add -> GPU. Leaving everything in the default should be okay. 

Aorus X570 Xtreme | Ryzen 3900X | Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme  | G.Skill Trident Z 64GB 3200 MHz  CL14

1 minute ago, ultra99 said:

What graphics card do you have? It should automatically detect and add any supported graphics cards.
Go to Configure > Slots and add a new GPU slot.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450