LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

3 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

As I understand it, that thing is better than a stock cooler, but not that much better.  If that's being used on a 95w CPU the poor cooler is overworked.

Yeah I have that cooler. It's a great value cooler for lower TDP chips. But a 9900K would be a bit of an ask. 

8 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

As I understand it, that thing is better than a stock cooler, but not that much better.  If that's being used on a 95w CPU the poor cooler is overworked.

Oh, it's MUCH better than intel's stock cooler easily. But the Hyper 212x (original) and even the new Black edition is best suited now for 4-6 core CPU's with Hyperthreading or SMT (the only exception to this rule IMO is the 8700K overclocked). 8 core+ CPU's unless undervolted, downclocked or handled specifically usually require a bit beefier of a heatsink or cooling solution to keep it under 80. THEN, there's the 9900k which runs hot as a principle feature of the CPU especially when OC'd, so only the best of the best cooling will suffice to keep it managed.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Please read the OP IN FULL!!!!!

Sorry I don't even know what an OP is.  Is that like a FAQ?  

10 minutes ago, Michael McChesney said:

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Air Cooler

maybe try undervolting?

2 minutes ago, Michael McChesney said:

Read the first post in this thread... ORIGINAL POST. And there is also a FAQ in blue bubble. PLEASE go through them thoroughly.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

3 minutes ago, Michael McChesney said:

OP is short for Original Post. It's the first post in a thread.

OP can also refer to the Original Poster, the person who started the discussion.

Really just need to go with context to figure which is which.
eg. "OP solved their problem by changing settings"
or "I included my PC specs in the OP"

or even "OP included their PC specs in the OP" :D

Scroll down past the big blue notification box and the pinned posts by the moderators and the first post by GOTSpectrum and that's the original post (OP). That has all the information about the event, prizes, and how to join.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Michael McChesney said:

The original post, the very first post on this thread...

It is marked as OP... 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

It is marked as OP... 

Just now, Spotty said:

-snip-

You do a much better job at explaining that than me lol 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

slowly putting 616 cpu threads / 308 physical cores into action :)

320+ threads up and running so far

1x Nvidia GTX 550 ti

1x Nvidia GTX 1060

^^ also running

upcoming

1x Nvidia GTX 280

1x Nvidia N9600

and the rest of cpu power 

5 minutes ago, Favebook said:

Read the first post in this thread... ORIGINAL POST. And there is also a FAQ in blue bubble. PLEASE go through them thoroughly.

5 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

It is marked as OP... 

Did I mention helpdesk PTSD yet? xD

14 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

You'll need to adjust the core # it is allowed to use under config > slots > CPU > edit > cpus [smaller # you want set] in the advanced control window.

Thank you so much.  I set it at 2 threads and my temps dropped to the mid 50's.  That seems much more reasonable and this way I don't have to pause the CPU altogether.  I can even use my PC a bit myself.  thanks again.

33 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

I'd ask if you can ask them for that info but no IT guy worth their stuff would hand that over.  Short of asking them to do that I don't immediately see a way around the restrictions.  Maybe a clicker macro with pixel-specific areas to click with a key to start/stop it when you need to scroll?  That way you have some level of automation.

Well I did already post I'm able to do it so it's fine, just using Invoke-WebRequest to the forum search. Not the 'proper' way to do it but it's the only way without access, which I don't want anyway. This method is rate limited though but perfectly fine speed for what I want.

5 minutes ago, SpiritWrath said:

Did I mention helpdesk PTSD yet? xD

Dont need to tell me... theres a reason after doing my Large scale networking and systems architecture degree I now work as a social worker... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Been pretty steady with WUs for the past 24 hours or so, must be lucky or have good timing.

Although looking at the server status page, last week when I first got set up they had an assign rate of maybe 50k/hr. Those Azure VMs must have helped scale up as the total assign rate is more often than not over 100k/hr. Hopefully that is a good sign of things to come, especially if LMG gets their WU server up this week as per the comment about asking Linus on his Beat Saber stream.

B... E.. A.. Utiful 

image.thumb.png.c99918266f1bd4e8b4dac8201783d0b1.png

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Hey, I'm new to this forum, but a long time lurker. I want to contribute to this, since I have quite a few computing resources laying around. But for some reason my computer has been stalled on the 'Ready' state for CPU and GPU for many hours... Is this normal?

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

B... E.. A.. Utiful 

image.thumb.png.c99918266f1bd4e8b4dac8201783d0b1.png

The Points Today gap is more impressive.
If we keep going at our current rate we will pass them for the week as well.

Just need the 24hr average to catch up.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, BigBroethersBinary said:

Hey, I'm new to this forum, but a long time lurker. I want to contribute to this, since I have quite a few computing resources laying around. But for some reason my computer has been stalled on the 'Ready' state for CPU and GPU for many hours... Is this normal?

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

1 minute ago, BigBroethersBinary said:

Yes. There's a (serious) shortage of work units to go around, so eventually it'll pick up one when it becomes available. Patience my dear whipper-snapper ;)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Just started folding last night, set up 2 PC's...is this a decent daily average given the current WU 'shortage'? I just want to make sure I have everything optimized to do as much work as possible!

PC 1: Ryzen 5 1600 AF, RX 5700, 8GB RAM - set to 'full', using 3 CPU threads and GPU

PC 2: Ryzen 5 2400G, RX 570, 8 GB RAM - set to 'full', using 2 CPU threads and GPU

image.png

2 minutes ago, BigBroethersBinary said:

Yes, this is normal.
Due to there being so many people folding there is difficulties getting enough work units distributed to everyone. It will check for work units and when one is available it will automatically download it and start working.

• CPU & GPU work units stuck waiting to download. "No WUs available for this configuration"
    • Leave the client running and it will download a new work unit when available. If you have been stuck waiting for a long time try Pausing the client and resuming. Read More...