LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

4 minutes ago, LFreeman said:

Dang it. Mine is still not uploading.

Mine appears to have frozen at 74.9% Feel your pain. Lol. Time to let it sort itself, going to sleep.

just installed f@h and i dont have covid-19 on the drop down just Alzheimer's, cancer, Huntington's, and Parkinson's   

My PC is a bit of a potato. Its taking 4 hours to complete a WU.

Work units seem to be scares with all the new users.

Am I hurting the project by taking WU's from much faster PC's?

56 minutes ago, weakssauce said:

just installed f@h and i dont have covid-19 on the drop down just Alzheimer's, cancer, Huntington's, and Parkinson's   

Just leave it on Any, covid-19 is prioritized as WU's become available. :)

2 minutes ago, weakssauce said:

Don't worry, if you set the Web Control to fold for 'Any Disease', you'll get Covid-19 work units.

Just now, weakssauce said:

Choose “any” it’s the default.  The whole covid19 thing is so new there apparently hasn’t been time.  You will get stuff other than covid19 stuff as well.  Power through it anyway.  “Oops I helped cure cancer by mistake” is not a bad thing.  The big issue right now is there seems to actually be more computing power available than there is work to do.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Haven't got a new WU on my desktop for over 24 hours. Have started and stopped it many times over that course, but nothing 😢

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

6 minutes ago, Full_Metal_Jacob said:

My PC is a bit of a potato. Its taking 4 hours to complete a WU.

Work units seem to be scares with all the new users.

Am I hurting the project by taking WU's from much faster PC's?

Not at all!  4 hours seems reasonable, I've (personally) seen Work Units that are expected to take between 1-2 days on older pentiums and celerons.

This is on the F@H FAQ page regarding minimum recommended system requirements:

What are the minimum system requirements?

All computers can contribute to Folding@home. However, if the computer is too slow (e.g. wasn’t built in the last 5 years or so), the computer might not be fast enough to make the deadlines of typical work units. A Pentium 4 or newer equivalent computer (with SSE) is able to complete work units before they expire.

Folding part time (less than 24 hours a day) will increase the minimum system requirements to make the deadlines.  In this case, it is up to the donor to determine how many hours a day are required to fold and still meet the deadlines with each computer.

Essentially if your computer is anything newer than a Pentium 4 it should be okay for Folding.

The only potential drawback of using slightly older/slower hardware is that you won't get as many points in the QRB (Quick Return Bonus) for submitting the Work Units more quickly.

Bonus Points

The prompt completion of Work Units (WUs) is very important for the science we’re doing. In order to study the proteins we’re interested in, we need be able get the results back quickly. A faster turnaround also means that we can launch projects that are larger and more difficult than ever before. So in 2010 we introduced the Quick Return Bonus (QRB), which gives extra points to users who rapidly and reliably complete WUs. The QRB has been fairly successful in aligning points with scientific value, and we will continue to use it.

If you're interested, have a read of some of the topics in the left hand sidebar of https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/

56 minutes ago, Baos said:

Haven't got a new WU on my desktop for over 24 hours. Have started and stopped it many times over that course, but nothing 😢

I waited for a WU for 18 hours and just got one an hour ago, keep restarting the program every 2 hours if you don't get any WU's so the timeout timer doesn't get too big

4 minutes ago, Baos said:

Yep.  They’re scrambling to find more work at the folding@home base I understand.  The response has been torrential.  Leave it on.  Stuff will appear.  Part of the deal is scientists got used to f@h being this tiny thing and it’s not right now.  They’ve got to realize it’s useful, develop a project where it is needed, set it up that way, and send it to f@h, when’re it needs to be cut into WUs and sent out to be processed.  I suspect things will pick up.  Give it time.

point of irony.  I just watched a thing about the liberty pistol.  It was this really crappy ultra cheap pistol designed to be dropped all over France.  It was made by car and refrigerator companies.  They made like a million of the things in a couple weeks.  The problem was they wanted to send them to britian and the bombers could only carry 600 of them at a time and they also had other missions to do like actually bombing things.  None of them wound up being dropped in France at all.  F@h has processed WUs. We’ve already beat the liberty pistol project stupid.   Gonna process more.  In WW2 North America was “the engine of democracy” and it’s only just starting to rev up. Most unfortunate thing was f@h didn’t get going till late February.  Should have gotten started in January.   Things take time though.  It will take more time.  This one is about leaning in for me.  It’s the doctors and researchers doing the lifting on this one.  All we can do is give them the tools they need to do it.  I’m up for that though:

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Great thing this. I folded a little bit a year ago when my office was cold and the boss wouldnt turn on the central heating.

Now i am at home with my gfx, ill try to get some computers up at work again.

4 minutes ago, jopasaable said:

I waited for a WU for 18 hours and just got one an hour ago, keep restarting the program every 2 hours if you don't get any WU's so the timeout timer doesn't get too big

I did not get any since my first WU last night. I hit pause and waited for it to state paused on the FAH Client advanced Controller.

Got another WU when I hit fold again.

image.png.56327c0cd514d8876e57b852a1e1817c.png

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

I've added the "No WUs available for this configuration"  error message to the blue box of known issues up the top for GPU/CPU waiting to download. I think a lot of people were seeing this message thinking that it was an issue with how they set up the client.

I've removed the message about 14533 failing to upload and 128.252.203.2 server being down. Checking the Server Status page shows that the server has been online for the past 18 hours and I have not heard anyone having any issues with this project/server since. If you do have issues uploading to the server then please let me know.

It appears that uploading to 155.247.164.213 & 155.247.164.214 has improved lately, but I am still seeing a few people complain of issues uploading to these servers.

Please let me know if you're still having issues uploading to those servers or if they are working fine for you. (@Gorgon I know you were having a lot of trouble with these?)

Edit: Oh, and the F@H Stats page has been working for the last few days so I removed that notice.

If there are any other widespread major issues please let me know and I will look into adding it to the notice.

Spoiler

07:18:49:WU03:FS01:Uploading 55.24MiB to 155.247.164.213
07:18:49:WU03:FS01:Connecting to 155.247.164.213:8080
07:18:49:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Exception: Failed to send results to work server: Transfer failed
07:18:49:WU01:FS01:Trying to send results to collection server
07:18:49:WU01:FS01:Uploading 55.24MiB to 155.247.164.214
07:18:49:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 155.247.164.214:8080
07:18:50:WARNING:WU03:FS01:Exception: Failed to send results to work server: Transfer failed
07:18:50:WU03:FS01:Trying to send results to collection server
07:18:50:WU03:FS01:Uploading 55.24MiB to 155.247.164.214
07:18:50:WU03:FS01:Connecting to 155.247.164.214:8080
07:18:51:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Transfer failed
07:18:52:ERROR:WU03:FS01:Exception: Transfer failed

Setting client to finish, so i can nuke them .

Le sigh, it's been over 36 hours since my last WU, and none of the WUs I got after joining the event weren't for COVID-19.

Update, it appears that transfers are failing for whatever reason. 

image.png

Edited by TH1813254617
additional info

Up and running, nearly compete with my work unit project.  Time to hit the hay.  This is a great project for two reasons.  First, it is helping the globe out, but second and a little for my own edification, I finally get to see the raw power of this machine I built and thought, man, that is just way too much machine.  You know what?  Now that I know this can be used for projects like this, I am going to keep this baby up and running and help with the cancer project.  My niece has Leukemia as a young seven year old.  So maybe this will help them and the joy to see all engines fired up is pretty cool. Thank Linus to bringing this to our attention.   

3 minutes ago, TH1813254617 said:

Le sigh, it's been over 36 hours since my last WU, and none of the WUs I got after joining the event weren't for COVID-19.

If you've been stuck waiting for a work unit for 36 hours then try this. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1164541-ltt-folding-teams-emergency-response-to-covid-19/page/63/?tab=comments#comment-13380941

16 minutes ago, engrdan said:

Getting after it. :D 

Welcome aboard.

The Viewer doesn't work in the windows version, it will always be stuck on the demo loop. May as well close it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just sat down at the workstation with my coffee. My god, the two GPUs finally got some WUs over night. I removed the CPU from it, since the 5820K overclocked eats more power than a GPU and barely gives anything.

Here's hoping it keeps getting more as I start work.

Screenshot_949.png.7b3c9241f2d4d6fde5888eae60947368.png

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, TH1813254617 said:

Oh no.  You helped cure cancer or some other horrible thing instead.  Shucky darn.  It may take some time for researchers to get the memo that the new and improved power is even available, and more time for things to actually move into the pipe and become WUs.

Bright side: we powered through all the folding that was there and are hungry for more.  we’re available.   Think of f@h as a transportation system.  A highway.  We made more lanes.  They will fill.  It may take some time though.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Oh no.  You helped cure cancer or some other horrible thing instead.  Shucky darn.  It may take some time for researchers to get the memo that the new and improved power is even available, and more time for things to actually move into the pipe and become WUs.

Bright side: we powered through all the folding that was there and are hungry for more.  we’re available.   Think of f@h as a transportation system.  A highway.  We made more lanes.  They will fill.  It may take some time though.

I would feel a lot better if I knew what those projects were for (11776-11780). The FAH active projects web-page says those projects are "unspecified"

Just joined the forum to post started folding again for the first time in many years

Used to have a couple of dedicated folding rigs when 50kppd was a good amount :D

And now my RX580 and R6 1600x are showing nearly 500kppd on their own, when they can get wu's

13 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If you've been stuck waiting for a work unit for 36 hours then try this. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1164541-ltt-folding-teams-emergency-response-to-covid-19/page/63/?tab=comments#comment-13380941

Welcome aboard.

The Viewer doesn't work in the windows version, it will always be stuck on the demo loop. May as well close it.

Welp, I've tried pausing and unpausing, restarting (actually, it was a blackout), restarting the client, nothing worked. Even when I do get a WU, the transfer fails. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Update: I've spoke too soon, new GPU WU for my RX 5700 from project 14533. The FAH projects page list those as "CPU projects to simulate COVID-19 proteins to learn about their dynamics and function". Maybe they are updating these projects to give out GPU tasks too?

Edited by TH1813254617
additional info

4 minutes ago, TH1813254617 said:

I would feel a lot better if I knew what those projects were for (11776-11780). The FAH active projects web-page says those projects are "unspecified"

Those are for Covid-19. GPU Projects 11741-11781 are all covid-19. They just don't have a description yet.

6. How do I know that I'm working on COVID-19 related projects ?
If you're running a project that's listed here, you're fighting COVID-19 :
CPU : 13862 - 13863 - 14328 - 14329 - 14337 - 14528 to 14531 - 14572 - 14574 - 14576 - 14600
GPU : 11741 to 11781

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32463

4 minutes ago, TH1813254617 said:

Welp, I've tried pausing and unpausing, restarting (actually, it was a blackout), restarting the client, nothing worked. Even when I do get a WU, the transfer fails. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Maybe just unlucky. There have been a lot of server issues and work unit shortages.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Those are for Covid-19. GPU Projects 11741-11781 are all covid-19. They just don't have a description yet.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32463

Maybe just unlucky. There have been a lot of server issues and work unit shortages.

That's good to hear, following things have never even remotely been my forte. Thanks for the info!