Is there a point to desktops?

Gamer Schnitzel
Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
Just now, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Laptops have seen great improvements over the years. Is there any point to building a desktop computer when you can just plug in a laptop to a monitor and peripherals and enjoy a tiny and portable case?

Some of us need/want more performance than you can get out of a laptop. Also, many of us don't like the jetplane-sound a laptop does when you're doing some heavy task on it. This is to say, yes, there is plenty of point to desktops.

Laptops have seen great improvements over the years. Is there any point to building a desktop computer when you can just plug in a laptop to a monitor and peripherals and enjoy a tiny and portable case?

Just now, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Some of us need/want more performance than you can get out of a laptop. Also, many of us don't like the jetplane-sound a laptop does when you're doing some heavy task on it. This is to say, yes, there is plenty of point to desktops.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

You can't upgrade a laptop.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Lul.

Whole point of desktop computers it that you can upgrade it to your needs. Most of the laptops nowadays come with soldered cpu, ram, gpu. All you can do is add an eGPU if you paid thunderbolt3 tax. I will be sticking to having a desktop as well as a low end laptop. My current computer only been through single upgrade since 2013 and it was a $50 upgrade for ram.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

- Flexibility: I can configure my desktop however I want, there is limited choices with laptops (let's say there are 200 different laptops, but many more choices in just CPU + mobo + RAM configs on a desktop)

- Upgradability: If I want to change my GPU later on, add more RAM, or add more storage; that is easy on a desktop. Some are difficult and some of those upgrades are impossible or impractical on a laptop

- Great hardware that doesn't throttle, or sound like you're playing on a jet engine: My PC is barely audible while gaming, but I can't say the same for my laptop when just stressing the CPU. A laptop often times has a hard time keeping itself cool, or will just sound loud. On my PC I can mount a large air cooler and it's cool and quiet.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I’m not seeing any point to laptops except as a work machine, wouldn’t dream of owning one for myself. Tablets fill that gap far better for me.

I need a desktop for a huge heap of things, my work laptop for the rest and a personal tablet and phone for away from home stuff.

Desktops are cheap, powerful and can be small if you go ITX like I did. They are also easy and comfortable to use.

I would consider an Apple laptop however but never an Apple desktop.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

The main difference between a laptop and a desktop is upgrade ability. You are basically stuck with whatever CPU and gpu it comes with and if you want to upgrade either you will have to simply buy a new laptop where as with a desktop it's fairly easy to switch out those parts. 

The difference between a laptop and a desktop is like asking why people purchase suv's or trucks. There are different needs per person, example is the price premium you pay for a laptop over a desktop. Same as asking why some people buy Apple. Some might want its benifits or might just like how it looks. It's difficult to ask general "why do you buy X?" when you can do this for many things and get alot of different answers. 

you cant custom build a laptop. truly. a desktop is soo much easier to work on repair wise. 

the components are under less thermal stress in a desktop. 

I have a dell g5 5587 with an i7-8750h cpu paired with a 1050 ti. that thing gets toasty before the GPU fan died when I replaced the thermal compound. I ordered a few replacement fans and the plug was never right.

if I ever bought another laptop. it would be a POS that could browse the web. 

Ryzen 2600-OC 3.9                         Cooler Master 650w gold modular        1TB  860 Evo SSD                   NZXT H500        

Zotac RTX 2060 1980mhz OC         CoolerMaster 240mm AIO cooler          2TB Seagate Barracuda             3DMark

16GB Trident Z neo 3466mh            ASUS Strix B450-F                                240GB SP NVME Boot drive

Who honestly cares? It's all preference. I have my laptop, desktop and recently an iPad. People use whatever they want lol

8 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

What's the point of a laptop when a tablet or smartphone does almost everything I do on a daily basis anyway?

8 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

I would consider an Apple laptop however but never an Apple desktop.

Apple desktops are pretty sweet (I'm using a 5K iMac to write this) -- I'd say the issue is that Apple's priorities for desktops diverge widely where its laptops are more broadly appealing.  The iMac is outstanding if you want a highly space-efficient desktop with a very good display, either for creative tasks or just moderate everyday use.  But it definitely won't fly as a gaming rig.

5 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Apple desktops are pretty sweet 

Not for my use case. I could pretty much do everything that I need on an Apple laptop if I wanted to go that way.

I certainly wouldnt ever buy a windows laptop again, maybe a chromebook etc but never a windows laptop. A windows desktop fits my needs perfect!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I see the purpose for laptops, but they don't fill the same role for me as desktops. Not to mention that due to power usage, even the fastest hardware in a laptop is still on par with the mid range stuff from a generation (or 2) back.

What are the advantages of a laptop over a desktop?

Laptops have smaller screens, and I don't like their keyboards, and I still need a mouse.

So I need a docking station or lots of ports.

And I  am content to sit in one place while using my PC.

Laptops do not the data storage capacity of a desktop, the keyboards are not as good, they have less power, etc. Laptops are nice portable machines but just can't compare to a desktop.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Raw power, low noise, longevity and upgradability.

All components are more powerful, because you have no space limits you can have massive coolers that barely need any airflow, components usually last longer coz they are cooled better and you can upgrade things. Nothing laptops have...

other already point out a lot off thing so I will point out another point.

-Price/Perfromance. ex. you can build cheap gaming pc with some second hand stuff that run game  better than cheap second hand laptop in same very budget limited  price.

- Monitor Angle, rotation, swirl, and etc when you work on desk. My brother do complain about  his neck when using laptop  cause it is less adjustable .

well , you can adjust it but it will adjust the whole laptop. the ergonomic is different.

- and more more  monitor port in some use case. bu I am not sure traffic control or cctv use desktop componet or spealize thing.

Advertise board that combine multi monitor.

-The keyboard. go to r/MK or geekhack website. those enthuastist would complain(freak out) a lot of thing on laptop keyboard or carry secondary keybord. 

-The Marco king. I don't think laptop would have enough port for our Macro King (Terran). He will not lose to iJustine. if he had usual setup.

-heavy lifting work that close to server or spealize work.  PCI-E slot for specialize work hard ware. nvme/sata controller for more slot, quadro fro compute some research, etc you can make it close to server but not actually use a whole server rack. even bitcoin minig in recent year.

-old or outdate hardeware that  still need being use. there is a lot of them out there. since there is no reason to update in some coporate use case. 

need some serial or parrarel port that use with that old equipment. and software devlopement side already stop so they stuck with old custom software.

basically it can do a lot more stuff and have more variety.

On 12/30/2019 at 5:35 AM, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Me: "What's this!? My GTX 960 in my 5 year old desktop can't play Witcher 3 on my new 4K tv at full resolution. That simply won't do at all!"

*goes to Amazon and orders RTX 2060 for $300*

*1 day later*

Me: "Ahh, much better!"

Unless mobility is a requirement, one can stretch out the rest of the desktop for quite a lot longer via upgrades over time. Considering the total hypothetical price of my desktop (initial cost of ~$650 + upgrades) would amount to just under a $1000, I see little reason to spend significantly more on a laptop to end up at comparable performance. 

Further, with a laptop, when newer tasks pose a challenge, you generally have few, if any options for upgrades beyond buying a new system. Even if the cpu is up to the task of newer games, the inability to upgrade the GPU will hamstring a laptop in due time.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Not everyone wants to take their computer for a walk, I guess. Also, a desktop can be an ongoing project that keeps getting upgrades as time goes by. With laptop you are kind of limited to what you can improve.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

I have 3 laptops and 4 desktops and 1 micro form factor desktop at the house atm.  I hate the laptops.  Low performance, squishy keyboards.  I only have them just in case I need a mobile PC.

My workstation laptop is amazing (Xeon 2267M, 32gb ram, 4k display), and Id rather be on my personal desktop working.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case