When/do you guys think that 4k will be the new 1080p?

Retro_R

I should probably clarify what I mean by this. So, currently, 1080p monitors are what most people have, probably because they're the cheapest and most available (also cheap 144hz models). But, (I think that) eventually display technologies will develop where 4k monitors will become about as cheap and available as 1080p monitors today. I would think that this would result in an increased market share of 4k monitors, but when/do you guys think that this will happen? I think that it will maybe happen, or at least begin to happen in the mid to late 2020s. However, maybe monitor sales will decrease in general in the future due to most people not having a desktop, and the massive popularity of mobile devices, causing less people needing a monitor. Also, what do you guys think will be the 'high-end' monitor technology will be when this will happen?

Just now, Retro_R said:

I should probably clarify what I mean by this. So, currently, 1080p monitors are what most people have, probably because they're the cheapest and most available (also cheap 144hz models). But, (I think that) eventually display technologies will develop where 4k monitors will become about as cheap and available as 1080p monitors today. I would think that this would result in an increased market share of 4k monitors, but when/do you guys think that this will happen? I think that it will maybe happen, or at least begin to happen in the mid to late 2020s. However, maybe monitor sales will decrease in general in the future due to most people not having a desktop, and the massive popularity of mobile devices, causing less people needing a monitor.

Have 4k 55inch tv as my main monitor , hdmi 2.0 4k60 works like a charm even in fast paced games

Never because 1440p exists :3

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Likwid said:

Have 4k 55inch tv as my main monitor , hdmi 2.0 4k60 works like a charm even in fast paced games

Yes, but that's a tv though, I don't really consider tvs as monitors. Obviously you can use them as monitors, but I don't really count them as monitors. Obviously 4k is basically the new standard resolution for tvs, but not really for monitors yet (according to the steam hardware survey, most people still use 1080p monitors more than anything else iirc). I'm wondering when everyone here thinks that 4k will become the most used monitor resolution.

3 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Never because 1440p exists :3

Yes, but I don't think that 1440p will be the monitor resolution stardard forever. Technology improves, stuff becomes cheaper, etc. 1440p won't be around forever.

Oh yes 1440p @ 144Hz will be it. Not 4K.
4K is to mcuh and really not needed for a computer monitor. Unless you're a couch gamer.
For computers most likely you are closer to the monitor, so different rules count.

For now you can buy 1080p @ 60Hz for about 50-100 bucks. So yeah thats the sweet spot.
But 1440p @ 144Hz is becoming way more popular now. Lots of people buying those.
Very few buy 4K since the Hz is to low, and if you want that high as well you pay trough the nose.
Als Variable Refresh Rate is more important to many then resolution, ppl are becoming more informed about their monitors.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

probably not for a while, I know tons of people with 1080p TVs and no plan on upgrading, let alone monitors. Cheaper laptops still haven't made it to 1080p yet with their 1366x768 nonsense.
I still think there is a sweet spot for everything (this is my PERSONAL sweet spot for resolutions, yours may differ):
13"-17" Laptops - 1080p is fine
24"-30" Monitors - 1440p is fine
45"+ TVs - depends on viewing distance but hell, I don't have any complaints with my 1080p 55" TV from like 8 years ago. Though I can see the argument for 4k if you are relatively close to a large TV.
I also favour refresh rate MUCH more than resolution so yeah.
But in all seriousness I doubt 4k will become as common as 1080p for several years.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

Never. It's just not necessary for a monitor. Cost of monitor is only one factor- cost of graphics card is the other and that won't drop over time- if you're wanting to play the latest titles you're always going to need the top tier card.

49 minutes ago, Retro_R said:

I should probably clarify what I mean by this. So, currently, 1080p monitors are what most people have, probably because they're the cheapest and most available (also cheap 144hz models). But, (I think that) eventually display technologies will develop where 4k monitors will become about as cheap and available as 1080p monitors today. I would think that this would result in an increased market share of 4k monitors, but when/do you guys think that this will happen? I think that it will maybe happen, or at least begin to happen in the mid to late 2020s. However, maybe monitor sales will decrease in general in the future due to most people not having a desktop, and the massive popularity of mobile devices, causing less people needing a monitor. Also, what do you guys think will be the 'high-end' monitor technology will be when this will happen?

probably when 1920x1080 monitor's pixel density gets too low  that you can make up each individual pixel and with the rate of monitors being manufactured mostly in 27 and 24 inch models probably will take a very long time 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

It will probably be quite some time because right now, even a 2080 ti can't keep up with the demands of 4k gaming a ultra levels of detail.  For example, you can only achieve medium-high setting in RDR2 at 4k resolutions and keep above 60 fps with a 2080 ti and games are just going to keep getting more demanding, not less as time goes on.   Additionally the 2080 ti can't even keep up with 1080p high refresh gaming either as it doesn't even come close to pushing 144 fps 1080p on RDR2.  Considering just how much better 144 hz gaming is than 60 hz gaming, GPU tech is going to have to cross that hurdle first before people move away from 1080p monitors, much less move on to 4k.  Honestly the next step is high refresh 1440p and we won't probably be there for another 3 years, at least when we are taking the most demanding titles. 

11 minutes ago, MichaelWd said:

Cost of monitor is only one factor- cost of graphics card is the other and that won't drop over time- if you're wanting to play the latest titles you're always going to need the top tier card.

Yeah, the cost may stay the same (debatable) but the performance will increase, as happens every gpu generation. The 2080 outperforms the 1080ti, the 1080 outperforms the 980ti, the 3080 (or whatever it will be called) will probably outperform the 2080ti. Along with this the price/performance will increase

Someday it will, but it's going to take a lot longer because the benefits simply aren't as noticeable to the vast majority of people. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

1 hour ago, comander said:

For what? Movies? Probably 2022. 

For games... 2025. 

This would be about my estimate as well.

1440P is going to be completely jumped as a standard.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

hopefully never because i'd rather see 240hz 1080p be the standard.  joke aside, 4k 120hz, probably 5-6 years, since we don't even have systems that can reliably do that in AAA games right now can't imagine it happening in 3 years unless game devs seriously beef up their optimization.

And that is part of my issue with this race to 4k and more hardware intensive special effects in games, the most beautiful games also have more known optimization issues then ive seen in my entire life, people are racing too fast to up resolution and graphical enhancements rather then making game engines that run smooth and responsive first at said resolutions, and are actually fun to play.  A game that stutters or bearly runs 60hz on most high end systems, and has tonnes of input lag isn't a enjoyable experience regardless of how pretty it looks, games are about inputs and response, not how many million pixels are drawn or how pretty the reflections are. 

The one glimmer of light i have is that OLED 4k displays often have CRT like input latency, so if those come down in price and hardware and game development eventually catches up, i could rather look forward to a future with that sorta tech in it, but i seriously wish the industry as a whole would stop finding ways to ruin fluidity and responsiveness of newer games.

2 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

probably when 1920x1080 monitor's pixel density gets too low  that you can make up each individual pixel and with the rate of monitors being manufactured mostly in 27 and 24 inch models probably will take a very long time 

I can see individual pixels at 1080p at 24".... Sometimes I wonder if I have above average eyesight....

That said, what OP asks, will happen, but I think it will take quite a few years.....

Btw, I personally just bought a 4K 60hz monitor instead of a 1440p 1440hz one. I mostly play singleplayer games and do some photography as a hobby... I wanted a bigger monitor and didn't think 1440p would be as sharp as I wanted/and be as big as I wanted.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

i can't notice much difference going from 1080p to 4k all i notice is the colours are better because of HDR

6 hours ago, Mihle said:

I can see individual pixels at 1080p at 24".... Sometimes I wonder if I have above average eyesight....

That said, what OP asks, will happen, but I think it will take quite a few years.....

Btw, I personally just bought a 4K 60hz monitor instead of a 1440p 1440hz one. I mostly play singleplayer games and do some photography as a hobby... I wanted a bigger monitor and didn't think 1440p would be as sharp as I wanted/and be as big as I wanted.

yea but will that matter for gaming like 100%pure gaming 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

10 hours ago, Retro_R said:

Yes, but that's a tv though, I don't really consider tvs as monitors. Obviously you can use them as monitors, but I don't really count them as monitors. Obviously 4k is basically the new standard resolution for tvs, but not really for monitors yet (according to the steam hardware survey, most people still use 1080p monitors more than anything else iirc). I'm wondering when everyone here thinks that 4k will become the most used monitor resolution..

I'm mildly offended here. I use TVs as monitors, primarily owing to lack of space, requiring the display to pull double duty as both tv and pc monitor.

I went with 4K because the additional pixels vastly helps with desktop usability when sitting close to a 43" display. Though I'm under no delusion that my GTX 960 will be pushing games at 4K anytime soon. I mostly photo edit.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I don't think it's the upgrading of the monitor that is the real question, it's more a case of 'When will most users have a graphics card capable of running 4k at a useable resolution?'

I have been toying with upgrading a 5 year old 24 inch 144hz 1080 monitor but with the exception of Eve I really can't think of any game I play that needs more screen realestate for the HUD.

1440 is workable with my early adopted gtx1080, 4k at a decent refresh rate will not work with the same 1080 so splashing out £500+ on a monitor then having to spend another £grand on a graphics card tells me that 4k as standard will be quite a while away for gamers.

Office users however, well even though it only runs at 30Hz off the work laptop, I wouldn't part with the 4k monitor on my desk for anything! (But that's a relatively cheap 4k monitor not a games capable 100Hz+ monster)

I’d rather have a 1080p 144hz monitor with good hdr then see 4K monitors become the standard. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Once 2080ti level performance is possible from $400 GPU's, 4k will become more mainstream.

4k is 'normal' now in the TV scene because you dont have to worry about 'powering' 4k TV via a expensive GPU.

Since upscaling on most of these mid range 4k TV's is pritty good u dont need to 'aim' for a 1080p display just because thats all u have.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Entry 4K monitors can be found for fair price. Though really it's still very hard to drive it, no point sacrificing graphic fidelity to make it playable so. Also higher refresh rate for it will also need to follow. It will take time. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

11 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I'm mildly offended here. I use TVs as monitors, primarily owing to lack of space, requiring the display to pull double duty as both tv and pc monitor.

I went with 4K because the additional pixels vastly helps with desktop usability when sitting close to a 43" display. Though I'm under no delusion that my GTX 960 will be pushing games at 4K anytime soon. I mostly photo edit.

Sorry to offend, didn't mean to. To me, TVs are for watching tv and movies on a couch while monitors are for watching YouTube and stuff closer. TVs aren't really good monitors, especially when it's on a desk and your sitting close, as they're. I don't care if you use a tv as a monitor, and it's totally valid to use a tv as a monitor, everyone has different reasons. I just think that tv's and monitors are completely separate entities with different use cases. Again, I don't mean to bash people who use TVs as monitors, it's completly fine if you do that.

7 hours ago, Ethariel01 said:

I don't think it's the upgrading of the monitor that is the real question, it's more a case of 'When will most users have a graphics card capable of running 4k at a useable resolution?'

Well, I feel that if the grpahics power to push 4k gaming more and more into mainstream, and 4k monitors are still pretty expensive and not a lot of high refresh rate models, people won't use 4k displays since they're to expensive and no high refresh rate.