What was your first experience with building computers?

Adorable Cat

For me it was a few years ago, one of my stepdads friends had some old (2004-2006) prebuilt computers lying around that I could have for free, and until then I'd only had a laptop. None of them were very useful but I enjoyed learning they all went together, and then built my own with used parts a few months later.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

last year i built a half decent system (my first build) but i had always wanted to build and had been watching tech channels for years. Was an i5 8400/gtx 1060 build. Ran pretty smooth. Passed it down to my brother a few weeks ago and built what I'd like to think of as my dream pc, specs in the signature :) 

SPECS: 

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x. Motherboard: MSI GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI X570. RAM: 32GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3200MHz. GPU: MSI GAMING X TRIO 2080Ti. Case: CORSAIR 680X RGB. Storage 2TB Seagate 7200rpm500gb Samsung 970 EVOPSUEVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3 850W Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG STRIX Curved XG32VQ, Secondary: Lenovo L27i. Cooling: Corsair h100i RGB Platinum. Operating System: Windows 10.

About 15 years ago watching my cousin exasperatedly trying to cable manage a whole load of IDE HDD cables so that it would not block the fans for better airflow, and accidentally tearing them because IDE cables are shit

IIRC, SATA was still quite a new thing and most computers at the time were still running with IDE cables for the HDD. Not to mention stuff like floppy drives were very much still a thing as you had optical drives, the optical discs itself were still stupid expensive

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

24 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

What was your first experience with building computers?

Troubleshooting a "dead" computer by disassembling it and then reassembling it.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I don't know if this is what you mean, but my first build was about 6 months ago. Was actually pretty easy

Going to Best Buy, buying a GPU that had an AGP slot, got home couldn't fit in board.  Went back, had to get a PCI GPU.  Didn't understand why their was a problem.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Here's my first custom build. Isn't it great? ? I can't remember the first time I started tearing apart computers but I've been doing it for 20 years and I still love it. 

image.thumb.png.81fa529046879d302d640dd9483c76b0.png

I built one back in 2009 ish with a pair of 6880's in crossfire and an amd processor but I dont remember which one. Then I didnt build a second one until earlier this year where I went 2700x and a 2080ti, i have since upgraded the board and processor as well as went full open loop, you could say I got bit by the bug hard and have progressed rapidly lol

back in the day we bought kits and soldered our own desktop computers.

that was the dinosaur age

a lot of pc's later, until mid to late 1990's

its a cake walk to build your own pc.

I have never done a full computer build I have done some upgrades before like swapping out a power supply video card sound card add hard drives added a usb card.  I have also replace some faulty connectors the parts they were connected to were just fine.  I do not think I could do a full computer build I do have the skill and tools to do it.  I have been tinkering with computers since like 2006. 

everything started in 2012, my brother and I decided to build a pc, and I was overseas and will return in a few weeks time. he suddenly bought a 2500 in stead of 2500k as agreed and built by himself

It took place in 2007. I put together some awful list of parts that my friend thankfully sorted out. Judging by the lack of case, I'm guessing I started with my old case (and HDD, naturally). Prior to this I had only swapped the GPU a couple of times (Radeon 9250 and 7600GS). Coming from a Celeron, the immeasurable bump in general feeling of the system this build delivered has at best been replicated by SSDs, but no CPU upgrade has ever come close.

BX80557E2160        INTEL DUAL CORE E2160 1.8GHZ 800/1M S775   1   71.05 EUR
HEC420TDPTX/R       HEC 420W POWER SUPPLY RETAIL               1   61.66 EUR
NE/850TS+TD21       PALIT GF 8500 GT PCIE 256MB GDDR-3 SONIC   1   84.56 EUR
IP35                ABIT S775 IP35 ATX DDR2 SATA2 GLAN HD FW   1   82.04 EUR
KVR667D2N5K2/2G     2GB 667MHZ DDR2 NON-ECC CL5 DIMM KIT       1   43.47 EUR

Sadly I don't remember anything about the original building process anymore (did it alone, didn't break anything). New case followed a month later, I added a fan to the CPU funnel but placed it backwards as I didn't realise which way CPU fan blew (same friend from earlier enlightened me on this too). 8600GT entered the scene a month after that. I played Crysis with the 8500, which in retrospect was probably the first thing hinting at my future as a console peasant.

I put Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev.2 on the GPU, and were able to run it passive (but chose to strap fans to it anyway, because it provided more to do, and tinkering, no matter how pointless, was the name of the game back then). At one point I bought a second 8600GT, but thanks to doing 0 research couldn't figure out how to get both of them to work, and just resold it soon after. Probably sounds like I shouldn't have, but I started overclocking with this system.

I ended up with IP35-PRO through warranty replacement, and went on swapping the CPU and upgrading the GPU over the years, ending up with E6300 or E6400 and GTX 9800GTX+ by the time it was time for my second and so far last all-new-at-once build (2011). I miss not having to use half the budget on the GPU, and relevant amounts of DDR2 got so ridiculously cheap when DDR3 started rolling in.

I was pulling apart 486's in primary school.

I really got into mucking around with early Pentiums in the late 90's and built my own full then-current spec PC when I was 18. AMD Athlon 1200.

my first pc was a family pc, a dell dimension e521 with an athlon x2 5000+, that's when i really got hooked on computers/tech(i was like 5)

my mom then got a really shitty hp laptop, don't remember which model/series. that was when i had my first experience with games except for minesweeper on the e521

my first hands-on experience was earlier this year when i decided to clean out the aforementioned dell e521

a month ago i went to a friend's house and did a complete disassembly and reassembly of an old emacs machine, then upgraded his rig

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

I was 12 then. i was like buy this buy that and i ended up with a $1000 PC with bad specs for 2008 I think i had a 4870 and a core 2 quad that i cant remember which one.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

I was ten in 1994, and threw the components of an IBM XT together in my grandfather's shop room. 4.7mhz, 640k ram, 20mb hard drive, legit Hercules graphics, it was pretty sweet.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Replacing GPU, fans, drives, RAM and PSU in my prebuilt PC over nearly a decade.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Marveling that this 3Kg chunk of steel could hold a massive 20MB of programs.   Then trying to convince my brother that our PC was only an 086 and couldn't run windows as it needed a 386.  That was my first experience with min requirements and the never ending need for the latest hardware just to play elvira and the colonels bequest. 

Yep, people these days whinge because Intel only support for 2 generations,  today a midrange system will last 6+years adequately, when I started you had to upgrade almost every generation or you couldn't play the next round of games.  I remember watching friends play commander keen whilst I was still looking at a monochrome monitor.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I vaguely recall an attempt to update an old penguin III that turned into a mess.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The first PC I built was in 1989. It was a 286 inside a Amiga A2000 chassis.  It ran MS Dos in a widow and I used it to create business apps with dBace. It had its own HDD and later was upgraded to a 386.

The first real PC I built was a Pentium 1 in 2003. It was also my first tower.  About 3 months earlier I bought a 486 clone(compUSA) to play Doom and the Pentium was to play user created levels(mods) smoother. This was the start of my hardware choices being mod driven that continues to this day. 

I used the case until beige was no longer a thing. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

My first completely custom PC was in September of 2012. I built a Phenom II X4 965 BE system on a Asrock 970 Extreme III with 8GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD but I had upgraded prebuilts for at least 6 years before that and disassembled my Acer Aspire 4720z more times than I can count.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Mine was in 2013 & went good IIRC:

AMD FX-4100+Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus+some Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 for $60 Canadian

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 for $85

OCZ GamexStream 700W PSU+2x4GBKingston HyperX 1600MHz DDR3+500GB Seagate 7200RPM HDD for a 24 of Beer (about $30 IIRC)

EVGA GTX 560ti 2GB for $120

BitFenix Outlaw for $35+tax on clearance from Canada Computers

With building? Honestly, for a good part of my computer life I just used pre-built systems. Mostly because early on, I was a minor with no disposable income so I just took whatever my parents bought. Eventually, when I had my own money to spend I started mostly using laptops because I wanted something portable and got more into console gaming. I only had so much cash so building a PC was always something I wanted to do but just kept getting put on the back burner.

I think the first thing I could call building was when I converted an aging P4 3Ghz machine I had into an HTPC. I can't even remember the brand right now lol. It was a tower PC so I took a super outdated machine in one of those cases you can set a monitor on, gutted it out, and swapped over everything from the tower. Mind you that this was during the earlier years of 1080p content. There was no way it could handle 1080p content but it was also around the time more and more cards starting having x264 decoders built-in. So I bought an NVidia G210 and then it handled 1080p playback flawlessly. I also bought a Blu-ray burner for it so I could rip Blu-rays. 

Much anime was consumed on that machine. I still have it sitting around but it was retired from use years ago.

The first machine I built 100% from scratch is my current build.

Now that I'm gaming more on PC again, having a desktop makes sense again and now I'm well passed the point where I would consider anything pre-built.

On 11/17/2019 at 4:32 PM, Adorable Cat said:

For me it was a few years ago, one of my stepdads friends had some old (2004-2006) prebuilt computers lying around that I could have for free, and until then I'd only had a laptop. None of them were very useful but I enjoyed learning they all went together, and then built my own with used parts a few months later.

I built a 286 from spare parts.

Hot tip for people who are nervous about putting their hands in their computer. You won't feel bad about it until you kill at least one motherboard. I killed two MB's (a 386 and a 486) before I learned which parts not to hot-plug. Now considering that you can now hotplug several PC parts things in now (where you weren't supposed to hotplug anything in during the pre-USB days,) it's still a crapshoot if it will work since it requires OS, driver and BIOS support. Like it's a crapshoot just to hotplug USB flash drives at boot and ethernet adapters in TODAY.

(The 386, I blew a chunk out of the ISA slot, and the modem never worked properly after)

My first experience i was very young and my dad did most of the real work, i just sat there watching and confused, intimidated ,i don't really count it.  In HS i pieced together a build but had a shop put it together.  Later I inheretted some crappy but usable computer in that time period, had a Pentium 4 in 2012ish which everybody laughed at me for (hey it could still play some games!), eventually did the deed of putting a GPU and PSU in a cheap-used pre-built after i got tired of my more expensive completely pre-built system i had bought to replace the Pentium 4 rig previously mentioned.  Although simple this did garner some confidence in myself.

Finally, very recently i decided i should try it for myself, after watching a bunch of people on youtube do it 1000 times over.  Honestly the scariest part for me was putting the CPU Cooler on and getting the ram in (i'd tinkered with my ram before but the slots only open on one side with this motherboard so i was unsure if it worked them same way, required more force then i expected)  Wiring which scared me with pre-built systems was much less confusing as the case i bought managed the cables well, and i had seen all the parts and plugs already, trickiest part of that was figuring out front-panel connectors but no big deal. 

It was pretty cool, i wondered why i hadn't done it sooner, but then thinking about it i wouldn't have wanted to with older motherboards (im on AM4) that became obsolete with every new generation, it finally made sense and im happy i did it.