What was your first experience with building computers?

Adorable Cat
2 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

My first experience i was very young and my dad did most of the real work, i just sat there watching and confused, intimidated ,i don't really count it.  In HS i pieced together a build but had a shop put it together.  Later I inheretted some crappy but usable computer in that time period, had a Pentium 4 in 2012ish which everybody laughed at me for (hey it could still play some games!), eventually did the deed of putting a GPU and PSU in a cheap-used pre-built after i got tired of my more expensive completely pre-built system i had bought to replace the Pentium 4 rig previously mentioned.

Finally, very recently i decided i should try it for myself, after watching a bunch of people on youtube do it 1000 times over.  Honestly the scariest part for me was putting the CPU Cooler on and getting the ram in (i'd tinkered with my ram before but the slots only open on one side with this motherboard so i was unsure if it worked them same way, required more force then i expected)  Wiring which scared me with pre-built systems was much less confusing as the case i bought managed the cables well, and i had seen all the parts and plugs already, trickiest part of that was figuring out front-panel connectors but no big deal. 

It was pretty cool, i wondered why i hadn't done it sooner, but then thinking about it i wouldn't have wanted to with older motherboards (im on AM4) that became obsolete with every new generation, it finally made sense and im happy i did it. 

Lol! My dad did the same with me and fishing rods.  Making fishing tackle was his hobby.  Kind of a weird one, but apparently not all that uncommon.  There were apparently several magazines dedicated to it.

building high end PCs in general has gotten a lot easier.  The old ones basically had to be overclocked and doing it was much more complicated then it is now.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I got into computers around late 2015 and built my first the summer of 2016. I had gotten my cpu through the Intel retail edge program and was following a build guide from Linus, I had almost no idea who he was (I had seen him and Luke in a few videos on the Intel retail edge program but had no idea who they were.) I went with his guide over others because I figured if Intel let them make some videos for them they can probably build a computer. I remember shaking while trying to install my CPU I was so afraid of breaking everything. And like many others I was terrified of putting on the thermal paste. I treated everything like it was made of glass. Quite the juxtaposition from the way I handle hardware today, usually just take the yolo approach

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

I had my moms p4 Dell computer back in like 04 or 05. Took everything out of that case cause it was a Dell and just screwed the mobo and all other internals to the wall. Shocked the hell out of me every time I touched anything. Safe

I was a senior in college when I built my first rig. I did a ton of research to make sure I'd do everything right, but I stupidly decided to cheap out on a case so I spent $30 on a used case on Best Buy and when I brought it home I found out it didn't have usb 3.0 headers and only usb 2.0; I had bought the previous generation case. 

I was so excited to finally build my own rig, and the only game I would end up playing on it during my final semester (when I built the machine) was Runescape. RIP. 

Be me 15 years old in 2012, watch YouTube all the time. Find Frankieonpcin1080p from his BF3 video, one day he uploads his first Arma II: DayZ Mod video. Become obsessed with the game and try to play it on old family desktop, no dice, computer sucks big time. Get a part time job and save money for a few months to build my own gaming PC. Order parts when I can, get a GTX 660ti pretty much on launch as my first part purchase and find an old Xeon w/ motherboard and ram combo on craigslist. Put it all together after getting the rest of the parts and can run pretty ok, use Xeon system until October when the FX series chips come out, get the FX-8350 an expensive gaming board and 16GB of ram. Run most games super nicely and use the 8350 system with GPU upgrades every year until 8th gen Intel comes out, along the way start building PCs for people on craigslist throughout highschool, then get a job at a nice highly rated computer repair shop in my town after graduation. 

My whole life has been affected by computers, and it all started with not being able to run Arma II: DayZ Mod.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |