Unpopular Tech Opinions

22 hours ago, wisex said:

I don't mind playing games at 1080p 60fps, hell I'd rather have a good 1080p 60fps monitor with amazing color (like 100% RGB coverage), vs something like a 1080p 144hz tn panel

A month-and-a-half-ago me would agree with you, but then I went 144hz. There's no going back. I do agree about 1080p being enough, though.

3 hours ago, jdubya421 said:

You would charge wirelessly or listen wirelessly to do both at the same time. If your dongle is breaking you have other issues you need to attend to - this is also a bad argument because if your head phones break or phone breaks you have to buy a new one too. I don't know how you are breaking that dongle. Do people really care about battery life? Name one phone that doesn't make it through a day of use. 

You could only listen while charging the phone with wireless headphones, wireless isn't always better than a 3.5mm jack and the only reason for manufacturers to drop a standardized port other than marketing is to get people to spend more money on wireless headphones or dongles. Having to use a dongle will wear out the port faster, and if I put the phone in my pocket there's a chance the dongle bending could break it. And I care about battery life, more battery drain from BT headphones or a dongle just results in having to charge the phone more.

2 hours ago, TheSLSAMG said:

The Nintendo Switch is the only console worth giving a shit about because there's more than just exclusives. The PS4 and Xbox One are basically PCs at this point and the only "advantages" are a more polished couch experience and some exclusive games (and even then, many traditionally Xbox-exclusive franchises are coming to PC like Gears of War, Forza Motorsport/Horizon and Halo.

Is the Switch powerful? No. Is the ecosystem overpriced? Definitely. But I enjoy the new games on Switch, having retro games is nice for a nostalgia trip and unlike my PC or PS4, I can actually play them on the go. The Switch actually manages to be somewhat unique, though I wish Nintendo cared more about performance.

disagree, ps4 does have a good number of very solid exclusive titles on it to warrent owning one.

No point to an xbo though as a pc gamer I wont deny that.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

3 hours ago, jdubya421 said:

The standard way you "plug in" your head phones. I would argue that most changes occur because manufacturers change it and consumers adapt. Look at Blu-Ray/HD video: two options on the market and consumers chose what happened. Look at the switch to digital media over analog media (tapes to CD/DVD). It happened when it did because over time consumers switched to digital. Every manufacturer didn't drop the port at the same time - IIRC Apple was the first to do it. People kept buying iPhones and then other manufacturers saw the success and followed through. At the end of the day I am sure it is about the manufacturer saving costs, but consumers kept buying. People can bitch all they want about not having a headphone jack, but the majority of people don't care. I realize I can't change anyone's mind about this, but I seriously have a hard time understanding how anyone can be so averted to BT headphones. I have Bose QC35IIs and Galaxy Buds and I really like the both of them. I have tons of different BT headphones over the years and I would never go back. I use wired on my desktop, but out on the go or at work BT is the way to go.

I have looked into standards (especially in the tech world),   Apple are the first company (and now Samsung to a degree) to drop a standard over night without waiting for it to be no longer used by at least a good majority of consumers.   All other techs (including CD, dvd, blue-ray, floppy disk)  were not phased out until after the consumer market no longer bought them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Video games are worse than they have ever been.

Bearing in mind that there are exceptions to the rule, the majority of big game releases nowadays are less engaging, less complete and often less stable than they have been in previous decades. Specifically within their own franchises, newer titles are more often than not carved up for the benefit of selling DLC, preorders and season passes (for instance, the latest Mortal Kombat had a roster of 24 fighters at launch, whereas Mortal Kombat Trilogy had 29 and Mortal Kombat Armageddon had 62) and that's if they even release in a stable enough state that they run.

It used to be that €60 would get you a full gameplay experience with a ton of unlockable content, now anything even resembling additional content gets a fancy name slapped on it and sold as an add-on to the game. Games used to make you get the adrenaline rush of progression early and often, whereas nowadays it's one grindfest after the next punctuated by the ability to buy timesavers, which is never anything more than an admission that the game is built to waste your time.

1 minute ago, Skipple said:

......wat

I guess it depends on the content, compression, and the fact that my internet is shit. But 1080p video streams from the likes of YouTube or Netflix aren't always good looking.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

I guess it depends on the content, compression, and the fact that my internet is shit. But 1080p video streams from the likes of YouTube or Netflix aren't always good looking.

Oh, are you just talking about streaming content and not the display? Then maybe.... 

With my 1080p monitor I stream in 4k and it downscales. Looks really good with very little compression artifacts. 

Blue-rays still look amazing at 1080p today.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

1 minute ago, Skipple said:

Oh, are you just talking about streaming content and not the display?

Yep. I always get annoyed when I'm watching something on YouTube and it looks fuzzy, I click the gear to change resolutions and it says "720p HD".

49 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Yep. I always get annoyed when I'm watching something on YouTube and it looks fuzzy, I click the gear to change resolutions and it says "720p HD".

Yeah, true 720p or 1080p looks pretty crisp but with streaming the terms HD are tossed around much more loosely.

11 hours ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

I got slaughtered at work for this but.....

I RUN RAID 0 ON MY NAS!!!

I ran RAID0 for years before SSDs became affordable.

17 hours ago, Twilight said:

laptops with powerful dedicated gpu's are really stupid. mx150 etc i don't have a problem with, but RTX2080Ti's in laptops are super dumb.

Gotta drain that battery in record time, stick in a desktop 9900K in there as well why the hell not

Essentially its just a really thin PC, because no one is gonna be using a 9900K + 2080Ti "laptop" without reaching for the adapter in about 10 minutes

Hell, it needs 2 ****ing adapters to get the full performance. So good job Dell/Alienware, you haven't built a laptop, you've just built a really really small form factor PC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

16 hours ago, mr moose said:

I have looked into standards (especially in the tech world),   Apple are the first company (and now Samsung to a degree) to drop a standard over night without waiting for it to be no longer used by at least a good majority of consumers.   All other techs (including CD, dvd, blue-ray, floppy disk)  were not phased out until after the consumer market no longer bought them.

Well since there is only 1 major phone release per year it had to go this way. Manufacturers could have easily put it back after taking it away, but phone sales didn't decline. 

I maybe about 2-1 years late and probably repeating what someone else has said, but the notch >>>>> the chins on top and bottom of device. I mean, most of the time you're not using the top of the screen for a lot anyway (only clock, battery, and signal) why not have the camera there anyway? with the chin on bottom and top, your limiting your usable space a lot more, with the chin and the clock, battery, etc. Its an intrusion, I hate the chins on bottom and top. It just makes no sense.

Also, the camera holes on Samsung phones are a terrible design imo

On 10/15/2019 at 3:19 AM, BigRom said:

I used to think like that....until I tried my friend's 144Hz VA panel monitor. I went home and instantly put in an order for my own 144Hz monitor. $155-ish later I honestly wouldn't go back to 60Hz since my monitor is now 144Hz and also an IPS panel

I do agree that some TN panels really leave a lot to be desired in terms of the colours, but they have come a long way in the last few years

Thats fair, and thats why I personally don't try to go past what we have as a standard right now. I remember using my friends 120Hz monitor and how amazing it was, but I know that if I got used to that then it would be hard to experience anything that is below that, which is a lot of stuff... So I'm happy with 60Hz lmao

7 hours ago, jdubya421 said:

Well since there is only 1 major phone release per year it had to go this way. Manufacturers could have easily put it back after taking it away, but phone sales didn't decline. 

Why did it "have" to go that way?   The decision was purely optional.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

54 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Why did it "have" to go that way?   The decision was purely optional.

Removing the 3.5mm jack is the like one of the few ways manufacturers can change up specs and say it's new, IMO phone manufacturers throwing on a bunch of camera sensors is another optional decision. Easier to market more cameras, than a better single or dual camera with a better sensor or zoom.

A few more thoughts to add

1. Film screen protectors are better than tempered glass

2. Buying an overclockable processor and not overclocking is not a waste of money

3. The amount of time, money and R&D spent on a cell phone camera is ludicrous and could be better spent elsewhere (build quality, cell antennas, wireless protocols, battery life, etc)

:)

1080p is the endgame and anything larger than 24" is only acceptable as a projector.

The only valid option for movies is a projector.

Cloth projector screens are the best.

Grey is the best color for projector contrast.

The goal should be 1ms projectors for gaming, not better monitors.

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

1 hour ago, RelativeMono said:

1080p is the endgame and anything larger than 24" is only acceptable as a projector.

Got a thing for projectors do ya? Tbh I never considered projectors to be good for anything other than PowerPoint presentations. You'd really choose a projector over a monitor to watch movies? I'm ignorant in this field, how are projectors better? Legit question, no sarcasm.

On 9/18/2019 at 7:46 PM, imreloadin said:

Does wearing a seat belt cause you to drive more dangerously? That's literally the argument you're making here...

No it isn’t.  A seatbelt is passive, like an airbag, or crash protection.  Antilock brakes would be a better argument but still not a very good one.

the issue is things that drive FOR you.

On 9/18/2019 at 7:54 PM, seon123 said:

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:23 PM, adman29 said:

Agree
Agree (Though they're getting their shit kicked in by AMD atm)

Agree; but I do think that they're the 1000lb gorilla in the room right now

Windows 10 is a great OS with a big data mining problem that turns it into a bad OS.  Remove the data collection and it goes back to being great again.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

A few more thoughts to add

1. Film screen protectors are better than tempered glass

2. Buying an overclockable processor and not overclocking is not a waste of money

3. The amount of time, money and R&D spent on a cell phone camera is ludicrous and could be better spent elsewhere (build quality, cell antennas, wireless protocols, battery life, etc)

:)

1. Depends.  They cost more if you do break it but they also take a lot more damage.

2. Agree

3. emphatically agree.

1 hour ago, RelativeMono said:

-1080p I agree with, but projectors have issues. Specifically with brightness.  Also I think the -24” number is way too low.  There is a number though.

-cloth projector screens: depends on the cloth.  A lot.

-grey agree, but ONLY for contrast.  It’s not the only factor.