Captain they breached the CAPITAL!!!

AlexOak

If you are a cardholder with Capital one then I got some bad news for you bud and you too Canadian friend. 

Spoiler

In one of the biggest-ever data breaches, a hacker gained access to more than 100 million Capital One customers' accounts and credit card applications earlier this year.

Paige Thompson is accused of breaking into a Capital One server and gaining access to140,000 Social Security numbers, 1 million Canadian Social Insurance numbers and 80,000 bank account numbers, in addition to an undisclosed number of people's names, addresses, credit scores, credit limits, balances, and other information, according to the bank and the US Department of Justice.
A criminal complaint says Thompson tried to share the information with others online. The 33-year-old, who lives in Seattle, had previously worked as a tech company software engineer for the cloud hosting company that Capital One was using, the DOJ said. She was able to gain access by exploiting a misconfigured web application firewall, according to a court filing.
Thompson was arrested Monday in connection with the breach, the Justice Department said. Thompson's attorney could not be immediately reached for comment.

Capital One (COF) said the hack occurred March 22 and 23. The company indicated it fixed the vulnerability and said it is "unlikely that the information was used for fraud or disseminated by this individual." However, the company is still investigating.
"I sincerely apologize for the understandable worry this incident must be causing those affected and I am committed to making it right," said Capital One CEO Richard Fairbank in a statement.
The breach affected around 100 million people in the United States and about 6 million people in Canada, according to Capital One.
However, "no credit card account numbers or log-in credentials were compromised and over 99% of Social Security numbers were not compromised," the company said.
The criminal complaint against Thompson paints a picture of a less-than-careful suspect. Thompson posted the information on GitHub, using her own name, the complaint says, adding that she also indicated on social media that she had Capital One information.

The FBI special agent who investigated Thompson believes Thompson tweeted that she wanted to distribute Social Security numbers along with full names and dates of birth.
The complaint indicates Thompson "recognizes that she has acted illegally."
Capital One said it will notify people affected by the breach and will make free credit monitoring and identity protection available. The company expects to incur between $100 million and $150 million in costs related to the hack, including customer notifications, credit monitoring, tech costs and legal support due to the hack.
Capital One's stock was down 4% after hours late Monday night.

TDLR:  140,000 Social Security numbers, 1 million Canadian Social Insurance numbers and 80,000 bank account numbers, in addition to an undisclosed number of people's names, addresses, credit scores, credit limits, balances, and other information. That's all you need to know along with the person behind this breach has been caught.

Opinion:

This sucks because the info could now be in the dark web and like always when something like this happens take advantage of the free credit monitoring service.

Source:  https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/29/business/capital-one-data-breach/index.html

Edit: I was told it was a female. My apologies.  

This is why we need regulations to be stricter in some cases. 

Also, Credit Karma. 

Unless you're involved in the Equifax breach and want 10 years of free credit monitoring courtesy of Equifax (which allegedly comes with an insane max payout of $250K if your identity is stolen). 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Capital as in the card. I thought it was something else. :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

10 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

And this is why I hate the concept of the "cloud" and moving things to the cloud...it gives third parties so much extra power.

The cloud actually has the potential to make things safer. I have far more faith in Google or Microsoft to properly secure their networks than I do the typical company. Of course a lot still comes down to the controlling company, but any reduction is something.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

At least they caught the perpetrator, unlike most breaches. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5 hours ago, AlexOak said:

If you are a cardholder with Capital one then I got some bad news for you bud and you too Canadian friend. 

Reveal hidden contents

In one of the biggest-ever data breaches, a hacker gained access to more than 100 million Capital One customers' accounts and credit card applications earlier this year.

Paige Thompson is accused of breaking into a Capital One server and gaining access to140,000 Social Security numbers, 1 million Canadian Social Insurance numbers and 80,000 bank account numbers, in addition to an undisclosed number of people's names, addresses, credit scores, credit limits, balances, and other information, according to the bank and the US Department of Justice.
A criminal complaint says Thompson tried to share the information with others online. The 33-year-old, who lives in Seattle, had previously worked as a tech company software engineer for the cloud hosting company that Capital One was using, the DOJ said. She was able to gain access by exploiting a misconfigured web application firewall, according to a court filing.
Thompson was arrested Monday in connection with the breach, the Justice Department said. Thompson's attorney could not be immediately reached for comment.

Capital One (COF) said the hack occurred March 22 and 23. The company indicated it fixed the vulnerability and said it is "unlikely that the information was used for fraud or disseminated by this individual." However, the company is still investigating.
"I sincerely apologize for the understandable worry this incident must be causing those affected and I am committed to making it right," said Capital One CEO Richard Fairbank in a statement.
The breach affected around 100 million people in the United States and about 6 million people in Canada, according to Capital One.
However, "no credit card account numbers or log-in credentials were compromised and over 99% of Social Security numbers were not compromised," the company said.
The criminal complaint against Thompson paints a picture of a less-than-careful suspect. Thompson posted the information on GitHub, using her own name, the complaint says, adding that she also indicated on social media that she had Capital One information.

The FBI special agent who investigated Thompson believes Thompson tweeted that she wanted to distribute Social Security numbers along with full names and dates of birth.
The complaint indicates Thompson "recognizes that she has acted illegally."
Capital One said it will notify people affected by the breach and will make free credit monitoring and identity protection available. The company expects to incur between $100 million and $150 million in costs related to the hack, including customer notifications, credit monitoring, tech costs and legal support due to the hack.
Capital One's stock was down 4% after hours late Monday night.

TDLR:  140,000 Social Security numbers, 1 million Canadian Social Insurance numbers and 80,000 bank account numbers, in addition to an undisclosed number of people's names, addresses, credit scores, credit limits, balances, and other information. That's all you need to know along with the guy behind this breach has been caught.

Opinion:

This sucks because the info could now be in the dark web and like always when something like this happens take advantage of the free credit monitoring service.

Source:  https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/29/business/capital-one-data-breach/index.html

Oh, never knew NCIX did Credit card security?!

/Buuuuurn.

5 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

And this is why I hate the concept of the "cloud" and moving things to the cloud...it gives third parties so much extra power.

And some people still think it's a good idea to do mandatory backdoors in software so that the government can more easily spy on us.

I think it should be abundantly clear to anyone with half a brain that neither the government nor companies can be trusted to keep things secure, so the logical step in preventing harm is to limit the amount of things they can do and collect.

5 hours ago, 79wjd said:

The cloud actually has the potential to make things safer. I have far more faith in Google or Microsoft to properly secure their networks than I do the typical company. Of course a lot still comes down to the controlling company, but any reduction is something.

Customers of cloud providers are still the controllers of security, that is inclusive of the provided resources and systems they deploy in to the provider. Utilizing cloud resources without knowing what you are doing can result in huge security issues, for example normally on a corporate network the group 'Everyone' means all authenticated users, in the cloud that often means literally everyone. This mistake has been made, it's not as stupid as you'd think when you have sync'd your Active Directory to your cloud providers inbuilt authentication system as all your accounts and groups show up as you'd expect however the inbuilt cloud ones also exist, can name overlap and often take precedence over your own.

For IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) this is functionally no different to running the VMs on local hypervisors.

Cloud isn't more secure, neither is it any less, it's as secure as the person using it and if they were incompetent on local infrastructure they will be equally so in cloud infrastructure. Cloud never has and never will be a magic cure all, it's just a different thing with different standard operating procedures.

No cloud provider will ever state or imply that they will take the data security and compliance risk from you and do this on your behalf, they only promise their systems are secure up to the point that control is handed to the customer, not beyond that.

Glad I don't have a Capital One card...

Though my brother used to have one 5 years ago, I hope they've expunged his data.

But this isn't as bad as the Desjardins breach from a few months back where nearly 3 million people had their SIN stolen and sold by a scumbag employee... Who still hasn't been charged with anything last I checked. The victims got 5 years of the complete protection package with Equifax.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

This is the problem with companies being able to tell YOU what information they NEED to verify your identity, and such... and that they need to keep copies of it. Why? why the fuck if you've already verified my identity, do you need to keep a copy of that very sensitive/important data such as an image of your passport, social security? once you're verified as being who you say you are, they should properly dispose of the data I think, so that breaches in their companies security, doesn't lead to more problems for their customers.

I think we should have a much bigger say in which data a company is allowed to have from us, and that WE get to tell THEM, whether or not they can retain that information.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Anyone know if this affects UK customers?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Customers of cloud providers are still the controllers of security, that is inclusive of the provided resources and systems they deploy in to the provider. Utilizing cloud resources without knowing what you are doing can result in huge security issues, for example normally on a corporate network the group 'Everyone' means all authenticated users, in the cloud that often means literally everyone. This mistake has been made, it's not as stupid as you'd think when you have sync'd your Active Directory to your cloud providers inbuilt authentication system as all your accounts and groups show up as you'd expect however the inbuilt cloud ones also exist, can name overlap and often take precedence over your own.

For IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) this is functionally no different to running the VMs on local hypervisors.

Cloud isn't more secure, neither is it any less, it's as secure as the person using it and if they were incompetent on local infrastructure they will be equally so in cloud infrastructure. Cloud never has and never will be a magic cure all, it's just a different thing with different standard operating procedures.

No cloud provider will ever state or imply that they will take the data security and compliance risk from you and do this on your behalf, they only promise their systems are secure up to the point that control is handed to the customer, not beyond that.

Yeah, there are quite a few examples of cloud users not even setting access controls, thus everything being public. :/

sorry I can't stop laughing

2506a25ada6e202d372025b2dcd9ffbc.png

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

43 minutes ago, Suika said:

sorry I can't stop laughing

2506a25ada6e202d372025b2dcd9ffbc.png

?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

6 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

but of course they'd hit a company I can't leave.

Fucking auto loan.

I am just glad that I got my auto loan from them after the date of the hack. 

I am Canadian and have a card with Capital One. If my SIN was leaked im going to bend them over so hard. Some bullshit credit monitoring wont cut it at all

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, S w a t s o n said:

I am Canadian and have a card with Capital One. If my SIN was leaked im going to bend them over so hard. Some bullshit credit monitoring wont cut it at all

I'm pretty positive you have that backwards.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, 79wjd said:

I'm pretty positive you have that backwards.

Maybe if it was you

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

21 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Maybe if it was you

I see someone lives in Lala Land.

Realistically you join in on a class action, get $5, some credit monitoring, and switch to another banking organization that almost absolutely has some other data breach cracking open.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

I see someone lives in Lala Land.

Realistically you join in on a class action, get $5, some credit monitoring, and switch to another banking organization that almost absolutely has some other data breach cracking open.

It'll be more than $5 but, it's quite easy to get redemption without a class action too.

18 hours ago, AlexOak said:

. That's all you need to know along with the guy behind this breach has been caught.

It was a woman.

On topic: this sucks! How is this information not stored encrypted??